Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 05:49:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 389 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitBay OFFICIAL BITBAY Thread Smart Contracts Decentralized Markets Rolling Peg  (Read 541887 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
edmundduke
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 07:40:59 AM

thanks for the reply as always david Smiley

Yes you are right. Let's wait till after pegging. Who knows with the first stable price coin out there we might attract a lot of attention anyway. I mean this is the holy grail from a commercial pov. I'm sure the adoption of btc would be 1000x what is is now if vendors could take btc without being scared it is worth half before they cash it out.

Yep, its so extremely important to get rid of this pump and dump market that has been preventing bitcoin adoption. Nobody wants to use a currency that swings 25% a day... and this way it can even grow in price.

So then, the only thing that will matter is popularity and volume.

It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to it. It is really hard to give a pegging value to BAY (or maybe it is not but i have never seen any coin do this so i do not know what to really expect). I don't fully understand how it is possible to guarantee the price (unless there is some money to guarantee the value). There are very big wallets out there and if pegging happens, it would mean all those people would get access to a lot of money.
dzimbeck
Legendary

Activity: 2412
Merit: 1044

View Profile
March 10, 2016, 08:27:47 AM

Yes you are right. Let's wait till after pegging. Who knows with the first stable price coin out there we might attract a lot of attention anyway. I mean this is the holy grail from a commercial pov. I'm sure the adoption of btc would be 1000x what is is now if vendors could take btc without being scared it is worth half before they cash it out.

Yep, its so extremely important to get rid of this pump and dump market that has been preventing bitcoin adoption. Nobody wants to use a currency that swings 25% a day... and this way it can even grow in price.

It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to it. It is really hard to give a pegging value to BAY (or maybe it is not but i have never seen any coin do this so i do not know what to really expect). I don't fully understand how it is possible to guarantee the price (unless there is some money to guarantee the value). There are very big wallets out there and if pegging happens, it would mean all those people would get access to a lot of money.

The pegging freezes coins. It freezes them for every input evenly based on the rate of deflation.

So if for example you have 1 billion coins and freeze 99% then the inputs will freeze 99% of any input.

This means that if you hold 100,000 coins you can only move 1000 and the other 99,000 you have to send to yourself as change.

This rule is enforced by miners.

When it inflates your coins become unfrozen but you cant predict when that will happen because of voting.

Extreme example:
You have 1 billion coins and you freeze 99.9999% of them so only 1 coin is available

Everyone would still have an equal fraction of that one coin but it brings up the market cap because i can go on the exchange and offer $100 for that one coin.

This makes the liquid coin worth 100 dollars raising the marketcap to 100 billion.

But thats an extreme example because you want liquidity and volume too so thats too heavily deflated. Instead deflate gradually to a target price.
Piltover

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 10:25:14 PM

The pegging freezes coins. It freezes them for every input evenly based on the rate of deflation.

So if for example you have 1 billion coins and freeze 99% then the inputs will freeze 99% of any input.

This means that if you hold 100,000 coins you can only move 1000 and the other 99,000 you have to send to yourself as change.

This rule is enforced by miners.

When it inflates your coins become unfrozen but you cant predict when that will happen because of voting.

Extreme example:
You have 1 billion coins and you freeze 99.9999% of them so only 1 coin is available

Everyone would still have an equal fraction of that one coin but it brings up the market cap because i can go on the exchange and offer $100 for that one coin.

This makes the liquid coin worth 100 dollars raising the marketcap to 100 billion.

But thats an extreme example because you want liquidity and volume too so thats too heavily deflated. Instead deflate gradually to a target price.

Is there some timeline for this, or is this speculation on things that can be achieved. The reason i am a bit frustrated is that for a year we've seen a lot of things especially in the beginning, but when it comes to achievements there are only halfway things that are ready?
funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 10:39:30 PM

He's invented the only decentralised market ever in the world in 1 year!! How quickly do you expect David to do these things on his own!? Bill Gates didn't just click his fingers and create an operating system! I would say that a year is quick! If I asked you to create something that has never been created before and asked you to do it on your own in 12 months you couldn't do it!
Not that this is enough for him though, David has also promised to do something no one else has ever done and create a pegging system and has given a time scale. He's aiming to active this before 2017. Again I would say that's extremely quick. Especially when other coins with millions of Dev funds haven't come close to what David had achieved! Give him some appriciation and be patient. If you were an active member of the community you will know that he is on the Slack group daily giving us all his progress and thoughts.
dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2016, 10:41:48 PM

Is there some timeline for this, or is this speculation on things that can be achieved. The reason i am a bit frustrated is that for a year we've seen a lot of things especially in the beginning, but when it comes to achievements there are only halfway things that are ready?

Oh no this is not speculation, its must get achieved. I have gotten as far as charting out how its done, basically it is done in the scripting system, will effect individual inputs. And to elaborate, they get tagged with the time it freezes and unfreezes which will tell you how much it is fractionally divisible by. Then miner rules are changed for multiple different scenarios (such as allowing a 3 month exemption if the coin is time locked)

If you count the entire year quite a bit was achieved. Decentralized markets for one.

However, because im coding alone, if something comes up or i lose a few weeks, then there is nobody to code. So unfortunately I have to be constantly coding to finish this all since the software is so large already.

But its okay! This year i plan on finishing everything. So thats the timeline and i do believe this timeline was mentioned before.
dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 06:15:06 AM

For all the investors who wonder what goes on day to day just wanted to drop in and say what im working on currently:

Recently i fixed the bitcointools library for high s curve signatures since bitcoins recent update
Ive tripled the fee in bithalo per input due to slow blockchain
ive fixed a minor issue where people who ignore the high fee warning for contracts result in a declined contract now we force them to accept the new fee or reject the contract entirely

im working on the linux and cross platform windows build of the daemon for all altcoins. Ive tried to build in a VM but got some weird memory issues, will be going to some local coding groups to find someone interested in assisting the build (if you know anyone who wants to help set up a VM for a bounty let me know)

After those builds i will buy a cheap mac and set up a build for that too

I've done some windows 10 testing with a new computer i got... windows 10 is a nightmare operating system. Aside from the spyware, it has serious memory issues and processing issues. I have no idea why anyone would use it. Nonetheless everything works. Although the OS is so unstable i almost lost a hard drive when it crashed because i was playing music. Got a faulty stick of RAM changed but i still think the Win 10 OS performs horribly. Forget that it also logs your keystrokes and invades your privacy... even its design makes my 8 processors seem like 1.

Apparently, using simple programs like chrome and winamp can cause 100% hard disk usage in windows 10. Ridiculous.

Today I'm working on a few bugs, if you type foreign characters into a Pay to Email, it can result in not getting encoded for email providers and not seen in the inbox. So thats being updated

Also, im working on cleaning up the queue for submitted raw transactions since they are not labeled for the account and can sometimes not get trimmmed.

And I'm going to check to see if resubmitting automatically to the markets has been working. You must stay connected at a certain sweet spot during the 2 days its posted and if you arent online at that time frame it gets removed and you must submit again manually. But i once did not see it submit so im going to do more tests.

Also i have to test contracts with myself to see if the fee adjusting works with autoaccepting and counter-offers. It might be a series of at least 2 tests.

Live tests take me time sometimes, opening and closing the program, using live coins and just repeating etc.

So just for anyone who is curious, I've been working recently and we will see more frequent updates now.

And for people who are not sure why there are delays, there is a changelog that comes with every new update/build. You can read those and see what was changed. Usually a lot is left out of that because there is no point to list everything. But it helps you as an investor to decide if I'm being lazy or not.  Cool

Finally, if anyone has any bugs, please report them to me. And thank you to the slack group for searching for bugs. The idea is to try to break the client, stress test it etc.

Thanks
LEONPATTON

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 02:29:04 AM

Zimbeck is the coolest developer around and this asset should be twenty times its value. Got to give the man credit for sticking with this project and i know from personal experience hes a very fine man.
10/10 Zimbeck - your secret santa.

Thank you, i really appreciate it. Its stuff like this that helps me keep my head up and motivated. And once all this software finishes this year it will be completely worth every minute.

Just to get this software done is going to be like having an anvil off my shoulders. I've been working on Halo for 2 years! When it started, never had any idea it would last this long. But i can say its been totally a wild ride.

You withstood that ride because its that gene  Wink
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2016, 02:52:43 AM

Can we get listed on Poloniex? Im sure every coin that isn't on there wants to be listed and constantly emails them. What can we do to make them want to list us? Also once pegged can Bitbay be listed on any exchange or will Bitbay have ti use its own exchange?

Munti

Activity: 661
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 03:12:40 AM

Can we get listed on Poloniex? Im sure every coin that isn't on there wants to be listed and constantly emails them. What can we do to make them want to list us? Also once pegged can Bitbay be listed on any exchange or will Bitbay have ti use its own exchange?

Fill out this form to get listed. I assume many of us have to do it to get their attention
https://poloniex.com/coinRequest

Once pegged Bay can be on ordinary exchanges that choose to work with us.
Bitcat

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 07:55:10 AM

Chinese exchanges volumes are insane. We need to get listed to attract investors

a 3 btc buy up will see Bitbay reach half a million. Someone take one for the team and put up 3btc worth ;-)

Why not just pay the exchange to get listed then? After we lost BTER we lost all our volume... its unfortunate.

So we need a new chinese exchange. I can put up a .25 btc bounty to find one and help with any cover charge. We could definitely use more volume.

I still sey bay on BTER

Yes but nobody will use BTER because they stole multiple millions of dollars from their cold wallet or something like this. I lost 3 btc there.

Pretty much, i would never use them. For now Bittrex is good enough but would be so nice to have it on Polo also. I am sure that would lure in so many investors and who knows, once the platform is close to coming out (or maybe after it is out) i am certain Polo will look at BAY from another angle and we will get added. As for chinese exchanges, theres pretty hard to find one that is not shady and has not conned users.

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread with interest and it's a real shame that BAY hasn't been getting the attention it deserves. The hype surrounding ETH is pretty staggering considering the technical issues surrounding it. I still can't get the wallet / app thing to work! However, no problems at all with my Bitbay client.

I already sent a listing request to Poloniex for Bitbay, and everyone in this community should please do the same to keep the pressure up. Maybe list a few bullet points as to the positive features and benefits as compared to Ethereum. DZ has already made a fine job of drawing the comparisons between Bitbay and Ethereum.

As for Chinese / Asian exchanges, have you considered approaching Gatecoin?:
https://gatecoin.com/

From their website: "We are a Money Service Operator Licensed in Hong Kong by the Customs and Excises Department..."

I opened an account there and tested it with some Ethereum and Bitcoin, and it all went pretty smoothly. I was able to deposit and withdraw with no issues. Although, the website was a bit laggy when I happened to be there, but they were doing some maintenance and improving the site I believe.

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 13, 2016, 03:05:07 PM

Chinese exchanges volumes are insane. We need to get listed to attract investors

a 3 btc buy up will see Bitbay reach half a million. Someone take one for the team and put up 3btc worth ;-)

Why not just pay the exchange to get listed then? After we lost BTER we lost all our volume... its unfortunate.

So we need a new chinese exchange. I can put up a .25 btc bounty to find one and help with any cover charge. We could definitely use more volume.

I still sey bay on BTER

Yes but nobody will use BTER because they stole multiple millions of dollars from their cold wallet or something like this. I lost 3 btc there.

Pretty much, i would never use them. For now Bittrex is good enough but would be so nice to have it on Polo also. I am sure that would lure in so many investors and who knows, once the platform is close to coming out (or maybe after it is out) i am certain Polo will look at BAY from another angle and we will get added. As for chinese exchanges, theres pretty hard to find one that is not shady and has not conned users.

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread with interest and it's a real shame that BAY hasn't been getting the attention it deserves. The hype surrounding ETH is pretty staggering considering the technical issues surrounding it. I still can't get the wallet / app thing to work! However, no problems at all with my Bitbay client.

I already sent a listing request to Poloniex for Bitbay, and everyone in this community should please do the same to keep the pressure up. Maybe list a few bullet points as to the positive features and benefits as compared to Ethereum. DZ has already made a fine job of drawing the comparisons between Bitbay and Ethereum.

From their website: "We are a Money Service Operator Licensed in Hong Kong by the Customs and Excises Department..."

I opened an account there and tested it with some Ethereum and Bitcoin, and it all went pretty smoothly. I was able to deposit and withdraw with no issues. Although, the website was a bit laggy when I happened to be there, but they were doing some maintenance and improving the site I believe.

Good idea. Never heard of Gatecoin.

btc38 will be out of reach atm I guess until we get some more volume going.

dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 12:50:37 AM

Yeah maybe the major difference between Bitbay and Etherium is they spent their time marketing and getting money and then developed software later. While we have been coding first and will market later. Altough i've learned a lesson that having a product doesn't always mean people will use it. (you have to market)

There has been multiple ideas for exchanges that we could add to. First this is people should let them know. And either way things will change once the pegging starts because we will have to negotiate it again since freezing coins will take some orders off the live books.
dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 12:54:56 AM

So many FUDs in the old thread, to protect our investor and Bitbay Project, we have to start this Self-moderated thread.
(...)

The other thread was also Self Moderated...

(...)

Bobsurplus has controlled the BitBay Team bitcointalk account and this thread(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=850267.0)!  and he want to dump the price to 20sats and pump this to 100 sats again. that's the reason why he keep FUDs this. The most evil people we have ever met is Bobsurplus.But he has been kicked out from the team completely!

(...)

How did those coinkilling posts make it past the moderator?

Looks like a cool coin.

Might buy some.

Well the question is, should we moderate out the fact that this guy and his partners had sabotaged development? Maybe but it helps show what went on exactly.

All someone needs to do is download the bitbay market client and see for themselves. Its totally unique code and has all the features it claims to have. Actions always speak louder.
dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 01:49:19 AM

Well the question is, should we moderate out the fact that this guy and his partners had sabotaged development? Maybe but it helps show what went on exactly.

All someone needs to do is download the bitbay market client and see for themselves. Its totally unique code and has all the features it claims to have. Actions always speak louder.

Even though I was poking fun, I did read enough to respect the people involved and I did buy a little and will buy a little more. Keep in mind though that professionalism is important. As good as your project is, it wouldn't hurt to keep petty bickering private.

I'm not bitbaydev... this thread is run by people in the community. And the issue wasn't petty, the and guy his friends stole more than a thousand bitcoins. Coins that should be going to development. But i will ask a few of them if they think it makes sense to clean that up. The guy who took funds from us abused my name to do it so I'm not sure if it makes sense to remove those comments or not.

But maybe it should be removed anyways, after all, that was a long time ago and it might be confusing to new investors such as yourself.
Munti

Activity: 661
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 01:57:44 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2016, 02:38:58 AM by Munti

IOTA tokens are currently being sold and bought using escrow and trust before the network actually launches. Could someone post a step by step guide on how to sell and buy such tokens on BitBay in these circumstances? Where to download the client, which version etc.

Both buyer and seller should post an escrow deposit and the contract should last at least 3 months until it expires after which the escrow is returned if neither party disagrees (this takes care of either party dying or losing keys etc). Also the contract should be able to expire if both parties want so. And the contract should terminate successfully when the buyer has received the tokens (when the IOTA network eventually launches and is declared safe to do transactions on) and the seller has received the payment (BTC or perhaps even BitBay).

My apologies for the late reply. I had a lot on my plate.

Download the client from OP or our site bitbay.market for the latest public version. Until we get the new release there's only a client for windows. When the new release is ready we will have mac and linux as well. The client comes with an installer, so just follow the instructions. Make a backup of your keys right away. If you don't you probably don't care enough to remember to do so later and might be heading for trouble if disk crashes etc. Now you have to wait for the client to sync. This can take a day or two depending on your computer and connection.

Some have reported problems connecting to the network. I can't remember if that was with the client or the QT wallet. A conf file will solve that.
I can't remember if the client has a conf file with adnodes. If it doesn't you can write write one yourself in notepad. Copy paste the following into a new doc:
addnode=104.236.208.150
addnode=188.166.39.223
addnode=128.199.118.67
addnode=104.255.33.162
addnode=194.135.84.161
addnode=23.227.190.163
Save it as bitbay.conf in /BitBay/bitbaydata
Be aware that it sometimes takes a little while for the client to establish the first contact with the network

To speed up the syncing you can use the bootstrap in OP, or use http://cryptochainer.com
Bootstrap is a little faster than syncing over the network, but still takes a long time. Replacing the files needed for the blockchain with the download from cryptochainer is very fast, so if you trust them you can be up and running in 15-30 minutes.

Now get some Bay. The leading Bay exchange is Bittrex.

When you have transfered your Bay to your client, you are good to go.

If you are the first to buy or sell IOTA tokens, I suggest you open a new market for this and have others follow you there. Go to the market tab, click add/join market, and name your new market IOTA.
Now go to the home tab and click custom contract. Click normal contract in the window that will pop up. New window will appear. In the dropdown choose your new made IOTA market. Tick of the other choices to your liking and click accept. A contact form will appear. If you don't want/need to supply any contact info you can type a single character in the email box, and click "save profile and continue" You are now taken to the "make an offer" tab. If no contact info etc is needed you could have gone directly to "make offer". The difference is that by going the custom template route fills in the correct address to post this to.
Fill out the form in "make an offer". We recommend double deposit escrow, but you can set any deposit you want. The deposit also doesn't have to be the same for buyer and seller. There is a spam preventing minimum deposit of less than 1 Bay.

At the bottom of the form you set the time for the contract. You may want to set it for just a little longer than you think is needed. If the contract expires before the deal is done, the deposit it is lost. A very strong incentive to not just fulfill the deal, but also to stick to the time frame.
For now it is not possible to do this the other way around like you wanted, meaning the deposit is automatically returned if no one disagrees.
When the deal is done, both parties go to their open contracts tab in the client and report the deal fulfilled. When both have done so the deposits will be released simultaneously to both parties.

Tip: You can use the client as a market for anything for any coin. The double deposit will have to be Bay because that's the only currency the client is able to freeze, but the payment could be in any coin. You can also make "members only" markets by adding a new market with a name that is hard to hit by coincidence.
no-ice-please

Activity: 955
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 02:08:58 AM

I'm not bitbaydev... this thread is run by people in the community. And the issue wasn't petty, the and guy his friends stole more than a thousand bitcoins. Coins that should be going to development. But i will ask a few of them if they think it makes sense to clean that up. The guy who took funds from us abused my name to do it so I'm not sure if it makes sense to remove those comments or not.

But maybe it should be removed anyways, after all, that was a long time ago and it might be confusing to new investors such as yourself.

lol

You don't need to remove anything.

The ico or whatever went south. Time to fix the future, not the past.

You find a lot of bickering on this thread* but you have to look a while to find much about the project.

* I picked a page at random https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=890531.2060
P-Funk

Activity: 360

Token

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 07:56:19 AM

So I'm coming to this from Munti's post in the IOTA thread, here are some new user observations.

bitbay.market download page uses a bit.ly link for seemingly no reason, and bit.ly gives a person a not friendly warning message about the .exe file: http://bit.ly/1EnFbpw

The bitbaysetup.exe file from bitbay.market and the one linked to in the thread OP are different filesizes and have different hash/checksums. The version flag on both exes is 1.2, despite the website saying it's version 1.21. Explain this.

The download in the 2nd post of this thread is not hosted by MEGA anymore.

The BitBay installer by default wants to put it in the C:\ directory, where default place should be C:\Program Files (x86)\

Windows Firewall pops up needing access three times for three different programs

I downloaded the bootstrap and put it in the \BitBay\bitbaydata\ directory.

I run BitBay, it has a UAC prompt, which it shouldn't. Another Windows Firewall prompt. A language prompt that needs tuning (Hello World isn't good example text, if English is default then it should display first on the drop down box, not "Select language", I'd also change the Apply button to say OK). It runs two BitBay processes, then three, shows a dumb looking "Such Loading" splash with the doge meme on it, and then closes. BitMHalo.exe process has been running the whole time, accessing the disk a little bit, but doesn't seem to be doing much.

So at the end, after all this, BitBay isn't running. This is not a good user experience.
dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:24:55 AM

So I'm coming to this from Munti's post in the IOTA thread, here are some new user observations.

bitbay.market download page uses a bit.ly link for seemingly no reason, and bit.ly gives a person a not friendly warning message about the .exe file: http://bit.ly/1EnFbpw

The bitbaysetup.exe file from bitbay.market and the one linked to in the thread OP are different filesizes and have different hash/checksums. The version flag on both exes is 1.2, despite the website saying it's version 1.21. Explain this.

The download in the 2nd post of this thread is not hosted by MEGA anymore.

The BitBay installer by default wants to put it in the C:\ directory, where default place should be C:\Program Files (x86)\

Windows Firewall pops up needing access three times for three different programs

I downloaded the bootstrap and put it in the \BitBay\bitbaydata\ directory.

I run BitBay, it has a UAC prompt, which it shouldn't. Another Windows Firewall prompt. A language prompt that needs tuning (Hello World isn't good example text, if English is default then it should display first on the drop down box, not "Select language", I'd also change the Apply button to say OK). It runs two BitBay processes, then three, shows a dumb looking "Such Loading" splash with the doge meme on it, and then closes. BitMHalo.exe process has been running the whole time, accessing the disk a little bit, but doesn't seem to be doing much.

So at the end, after all this, BitBay isn't running. This is not a good user experience.

It should be noted, I have fought the bit.ly links and didn't think they were necessary at all. But the dev of the website bitbay.market says they are needed for tracking downloads. I would assume there is ways of doing that without using bit.ly but I'm not a web dev so i dont know.

So I agree with you on the bit.ly link but i dont run the site. In fact, he wanted to host my executable and I absolute can't stand that idea but he thinks if it reroutes to davtonia.org (where all my hosting is) then people would think that is strange. There was even a debate about this on slack. So I've sort of made a leap of faith here. So instead i give the checksum of the installer basically for anyone to verify it. One process can verify the other process as well.

I would like to mention anyone who wants to build from source i can send the obfuscated source and all building instructions as many people have asked for that. I've been thinking of even putting that on github (why not, i give it out anyways).

Also i was wondering about .exe because some browsers dont like them. Perhaps its better to zip the installer. Still i should point out that a lot of sites still use installer (exe). Also the reason for not putting in program files is because there is administrator restrictions on some operating systems. Because in that folder i store all the files, unlike other wallets, I keep nothing in roaming. The bitbay daemon does keep its blockchain files locally everything in the same folder C:\Bitbay\ ... the installer gives you the option to choose a folder and i recommend against program files because these new shitty windows are so invasive that they prevent you from running as admin.

Now on to firewall... that is going to be asked for ANY p2p program... this is another problem with windows babysitting BS. These messages are nonetheless standard. The reason there is 2-3 warning is because there is Halo via RPC, Bitbayd (daemon) which connects to its network, and my version of Bitmessage. Bitmessage and Bitbay are totally different protocols. Bitmessage and its modifications are the way i am able to get decentralized markets. I use what is called Channels. It also is built to protect your anonymity so unlike Tors flaws with exit nodes there is no flaw yet i have found with this Bitmessage decentralized method of communicating since the originator of a message cannot be known.

UAC prompt is unavoidable, ALL versions of windows will give you that prompt on applications like that. It needs to be run that way because its running subprocesses such as Bitmessage and Bitbayd. I don't have UAC turned on in my computer. I think its invasive and a restriction on your rights as an owner of a computer.

As for language selection starting on English is fine but why not have it say "select language"? Obviously an English speaker would appreciate the fact that its in 92 languages.

I understand the "Hello world" default text complaint. However can you recommend an alternative? What about the rest of the client? Would you not agree this client is a million times more user friendly than a typical Qt client? A lot of thought went into this. So more feedback would be great! And thanks for the feedback.

As for it not loading, are you running avast? Avast doesn't like Python. We have submitted to them before. If it unloads it will usually say why. Did you decline the ability for the program to run as admin? Thats probably what UAC asked you. It needs to do that to run the subprocess. The reason it runs two copies of BitBay.exe is because one is python and the other is the executable. This is true for all frozen Python executables.

IF you want i can walk you through setup. Send me a private message and if you have a crashlog.dat i would like to see it.
dzimbeck
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:34:46 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2016, 10:47:05 AM by dzimbeck

Also the different Checksums may be because I may have updated the executable on my site first. Meta who runs the site wants to host it on his server. So when i update while testing i also have to have him update. But considering the frequency at which i update the code, its a bit of a pain to have him update every time i do something minor. (I dont always do a version change while testing on slack)

But personally this is why i never wanted the link to go anywhere but to where i host all of my content. I really hope you aren't looking for reasons to FUD this project and these were genuine complaints? In general some of the points you made dont make sense such as UAC (uac shows up for thousands of programs and each version of windows is going to be more annoying with it)
P-Funk

Activity: 360

Token

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 01:59:44 PM

I'm not attempting to FUD, I wanted to provide feedback from someone just stumbling into it and wanting to check it out to see how it works. I highlighted the hash discrepancy because that's a pretty big red flag to me.

My environment is Windows 7 Pro x64 in VMware. No antivirus. I'm not finding any crashlog.dat

re: bit.ly, if it really has to be used, might as well put the exe installer in a .zip so people don't get the off-putting warning from them.

re: Language selection, I don't know if there needs to be example text at all, but if you must, maybe truncate it to just Hello, as Hello world has connotations of placeholder and programming beginners. Most language selection prompts usually just have the text "Select language:" above the drop down box, and English or local language will be defaulted in the box, requiring the user to only hit the OK button. Really just a minor nitpick Smiley

I see why it comes up but I mention the UAC prompt being odd because most cryptocurrency wallets/programs don't have it, and it just intuitively doesn't seem like the kind of program that would need it. I don't know much about UAC except I know I've seen options in programs like CCleaner where they can disable the prompt. Re: your question about it asking for admin privs, the prompt says: C:\BitBay\bitbay.exe asadmin
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... 389 »
  Print  

Jump to: