Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:15:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 [581] 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916266 times)
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:14:33 AM

AM is profoundly uncertain. It owns little of value (50 TH primarily). As I've detailed before, the very potential for profit in the mining sector will be demolished by competition via a "tragedy of the commons" scenario. The mined BTC will largely be gobbled up by electricity costs. Even if AM maintains a significant hashrate percentage their profits will still plummet. We saw this happen with GPUs. Similarly AM's margins for hardware sales are based on the (former) lack of credible competition.

All this thing needs is a push. The whales know it. None of them want to be the one to destroy the market, but they want to be the last one out even less.

Vycid, He's alive.. I thought he got fried

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:16:22 AM

Update

There hasn't been a huge hardware dividend payoff: is it because of reduced margins, or delays?
Because we are collecting funds to get ready for the exponentially increased devices to be assembled in September and October.

great to hear from you friedcat, thanks for the update, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I'm happy that I held on to all of my shares and I plan to do so in the future...

dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:17:57 AM

Update

There hasn't been a huge hardware dividend payoff: is it because of reduced margins, or delays?
Because we are collecting funds to get ready for the exponentially increased devices to be assembled in September and October.

great to hear from you friedcat, thanks for the update, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I'm happy that I held on to all of my shares and I plan to do so in the future...

People so easily forget about his earlier post re: AM hashing at 800-1000TH by the end of the year.  Even with upcoming new entrants into the space, that's plenty to stay comfortably positioned.
Vycid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:18:31 AM

AM is profoundly uncertain. It owns little of value (50 TH primarily). As I've detailed before, the very potential for profit in the mining sector will be demolished by competition via a "tragedy of the commons" scenario. The mined BTC will largely be gobbled up by electricity costs. Even if AM maintains a significant hashrate percentage their profits will still plummet. We saw this happen with GPUs. Similarly AM's margins for hardware sales are based on the (former) lack of credible competition.

All this thing needs is a push. The whales know it. None of them want to be the one to destroy the market, but they want to be the last one out even less.

Have you looked at their financials? They have an assembly infrastructure which is enormous and can clearly handle hundreds of terahashes of manufacturing a month. And they have more than 50TH, they just haven't deployed it and are selling it instead apparently.

The only way your idea could be accurate is if friedcat is lying, which could effectively be considered the end of argument.

Can you back up the "hundreds of TH a month" statement please? Bizarre they're operating 50 if so.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 07:48:21 AM

Thanks for the update! 

Friedcat for president!
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:15:18 AM

Can you back up the "hundreds of TH a month" statement please? Bizarre they're operating 50 if so.

from what I hear it's pretty difficult to find high power density server rooms in China so the deployment is definitely not an easy task.
darrenyu

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:20:10 AM

Great ! I come from Taiwan.
I will keep all shares on hand too.
ASICMINER is the world leader who can set up hash power quickly and sell miner machine without delay.

*Image Removed*
Vycid

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:20:51 AM

from what I hear it's pretty difficult to find high power density server rooms in China so the deployment is definitely not an easy task.

Perhaps that's why. Clearly they're having enough difficulty with 50:

Update

Why has the hashrate dropped the past weeks?
It dropped in different few days. Some of them are internal hardware/network glitches, some of them are luck based. We haven't identified any form of DDOS attacks recently though.

This is ultimately good news for Bitcoin as a whole. The harder it is to run big mining ops, the more decentralized things will be.

In the long run, though, I suspect extensive consolidation is inevitable based on the variance in electricity rates by region.

darrenyu

Activity: 71

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:34:05 AM

Foxconn is building a new Data Center in Kaohsiung in Taiwan .
Friedcat may consider it.
It could be ready and operate this year.

*Image Removed*
supert

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:42:39 AM

Vycid = epic troll.
Vycid

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:48:37 AM

So, now that I'm behind a real keyboard and things are calmed down a bit (yes, I was on my phone - all my posts today were made from a Galaxy S3. Samsung should put me in a commercial), I'm going to share my thoughts on the update. While the fact that FC hasn't gone incommunicado is definitely a positive sign for longs, I believe that the content of the message is markedly less bullish than the reaction implied.

Update

We have collected several shareholders' questions for answering.

Could we have an official live hashrate meter from ASICMINER?
We have an internal one, mainly for troubleshooting when some of the racks going down. The hashrate meter based on the blocks mined reflects more of the real speed (plus luck of course). We will buy more bandwidth before making it accessible by the whole internet. It also requires more commitment in maintenance.

For more transparency, is it possible to share a wallet address for depositing income from ASICMINER hardware sales?
We use a different deposit address for each payment transaction. But a centralized nexus address is good. Then people could see how the funds are separated as dividends and expenses.

This is a good thing. Any movement of AM toward transparency is positive, in my book, although longs should be aware that transparency can be a double-edged sword. If things are going well, it will get noticed. If they are going poorly, it will get noticed. It may end up increasing volatility.

Besides mining, hardware sales, and franchising, are there any other potential sources of revenue?
There are many possible ones considered, but none can support serious sound business model based on a 1-2billion dollar total market value of Bitcoin: selling patents, offering solution for mining farm construction, assembly service, etc.

I've talked before about AM and its refusal to grow beyond an ASIC company. Certainly the upsides of expanding their business with the BTC market in the 1-2B USD range are limited, but if BTC never grows beyond 1-2B USD then AM is in deep shit to start with (FC loves to talk about transaction fees to justify valuation). Their cashflow should allow them to explore and capitalize on new business prospects far better than a start-up. Why is AM so lacking in vision?

It dropped in different few days. Some of them are internal hardware/network glitches, some of them are luck based. We haven't identified any form of DDOS attacks recently though.

This is a bad sign. Sure, their hashrate hasn't decreased, but they're having trouble managing their hardware at 50 TH. On the bright side, they managed to maintain a stable hashrate for a pretty long period of time, so it's not something they're incapable of, but it's not the trend you want. Downtime was more expected and forgivable close to launch.

How are things going regarding your business plan? Did you account for the sudden network hashrate increase? How is the international expansion of ASICminer coming along?
The business plan is unchanged. The network hashrate increase was still under our projection. The total hash target originally set for the end of this year would probably achieved earlier.
The ASICMiner expansion via franchising is still much within China border. The internationally deployed portion will dominate when the gain of operation cost outweigh the delay and cost of international shipping/assembling abroad.

I'm gonna address these two at once.

The network hashrate increase was still under our projection. The total hash target originally set for the end of this year would probably achieved earlier.

This is CEO-speak for "we didn't expect this, but we have a plan". Which is unsurprising, since there's still something like 500 TH of Avalon chips still due for delivery, god knows how many BFL units, 100TH/Bitfury firing up, et al. (One must wonder where AM would have been if Avalon and BFL had delivered on time.)

The reason I know it was unexpected is that FC is curtailing dividends to save up for more devices in Sept/Oct. If things were exactly as expected, competent leadership would have known the amount of money required in advance, and smoothed out that deduction over many dividends. Instead, FC decided to cut deeply into this dividend, and the next few (apparently).

So that's either a management failure, or AM recognizes they are in a tighter spot than they expected. Take your pick.

Either way, I suspect that the market was operating on the assumption that AM had already the funds they needed for new devices, so these reduced dividends are a negative surprise. A correction is to be expected.

Finally,

The internationally deployed portion will dominate when the gain of operation cost outweigh the delay and cost of international shipping/assembling abroad.

This means "we plan to play catch-up when other firms have finished localizing in the regions where electricity and rent are cheapest."

Mausini

Activity: 177

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:13:52 AM

Thanks for the update, Vycid. You are such a troll. It's almost funny.
btcbot

Activity: 151
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:36:33 AM

Thanks for the update, Vycid. You are such a troll. It's almost funny.

He's not even worth putting on ignore he's so full of his own hype, it's fun to watch him squirm Wink.  The entertainment value of a short who's trapped... begging for attention.  Hilarious... Grin Grin

Don't tip me... tip the Riseup folks who protect activists around the world.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:48:29 AM

It seems you have a talent for misinterpretation. Maybe it's your bearish sentiment which leads you to some of those conclusions.

This is a good thing. Any movement of AM toward transparency is positive, in my book, although longs should be aware that transparency can be a double-edged sword. If things are going well, it will get noticed. If they are going poorly, it will get noticed. It may end up increasing volatility.
Words without meaning. What are you trying to say? If the sun shines today it may rain tomorrow?

I've talked before about AM and its refusal to grow beyond an ASIC company ... Their cashflow should allow them to explore and capitalize on new business prospects far better than a start-up. Why is AM so lacking in vision?
You seem to be fixed on the idea that ASICMINER should chase more than one rabbit. As stated elsewhere, it is not impossible, but it has to fit neatly into the strategy of the company - otherwise there is a disconnect and a loss of focus. Your critique is heard - and if new monetizing strategies come along I am certain friedcat will be eager to employ them.

It dropped in different few days. Some of them are internal hardware/network glitches,...
This is a bad sign. Sure, their hashrate hasn't decreased, but they're having trouble managing their hardware at 50 TH. On the bright side, they managed to maintain a stable hashrate for a pretty long period of time, so it's not something they're incapable of, but it's not the trend you want. Downtime was more expected and forgivable close to launch.
You seem to have no experience with reality. Downtimes due to unforeseen reasons happen in the most professional circles. Also we're not talking about a redundancy business here, but a capacity business. If all friedcat had to do is run 1 blade with a 5000 fold redundancy, I am sure we'd have 100% uptime, no trouble.

The network hashrate increase was still under our projection. The total hash target originally set for the end of this year would probably achieved earlier.

This is CEO-speak for "we didn't expect this, but we have a plan". Which is unsurprising, since there's still something like 500 TH of Avalon chips still due for delivery, god knows how many BFL units, 100TH/Bitfury firing up, et al. (One must wonder where AM would have been if Avalon and BFL had delivered on time.)
Again, you're not really saying much. Projections are bound to be off, that's why they are projections. In this case the deviation is  rather positive.

The reason I know it was unexpected is that FC is curtailing dividends to save up for more devices in Sept/Oct. If things were exactly as expected, competent leadership would have known the amount of money required in advance, and smoothed out that deduction over many dividends. Instead, FC decided to cut deeply into this dividend, and the next few (apparently).
Are you suggesting friedcat should increase the cash holdings of ASICMINER? Are you not satisfied with the strategy that payments are aggressively deducted from the most recent dividend? Does the volatility in dividends bother you for some reason?

So that's either a management failure, or AM recognizes they are in a tighter spot than they expected. Take your pick.
What exactly should the failure be? Pay as you go? Need I remind you - Most existing competitors are effectively financing the production through pre-orders. Probably only Avalon is now in a position to pay for a production run out of pocket from previous earnings.

Either way, I suspect that the market was operating on the assumption that AM had already the funds they needed for new devices, so these reduced dividends are a negative surprise. A correction is to be expected.
I doubt that investors are that naive. And it's irrelevant anyway - any dividend not payed goes into the cash pool of the company. Dividends not payed may interfere with timing your share purchases though - I understand that.

The internationally deployed portion will dominate when the gain of operation cost outweigh the delay and cost of international shipping/assembling abroad.
This means "we plan to play catch-up when other firms have finished localizing in the regions where electricity and rent are cheapest."
Now your logic is out of the window. The statement means that the opportunity costs between rapid local deployment and relocation have to be considered. When that incentive is strong enough, hashpower will go abroad. When it comes to bitcoin we still live in an "empty world", with a lot of relocation opportunities. It will take at least another few years until that changes. But I sympathize with your sentiment to push aggressively into international distribution.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
vortex1878

Activity: 492

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 10:16:45 AM

Thanks a lot, Jutarul. I was too lazy to reply to so much bs.  Grin

One thing I would like to add regarding cash holdings: fc had clearly stated he would only deduct necessary expenses from the dividends as and when required and not hold cash. This has been discussed here over and over again.

Too bad we have to deal with so much ignorant fud here...  Undecided
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 10:50:51 AM

Too many trolls and useless walls of text..

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
stslimited

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 11:50:31 AM

even in shenzhen?
Ninshatamoto

Activity: 69

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 12:34:25 PM

Simply put, if Vycid didn't have a financial interest in AM getting cheaper, he wouldn't spend so much time knocking it down.

A few comments are one thing...but he's making a career out of it.
velacreations

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:06:04 PM

Exactly -- 0.35% of the outstanding shares in daily volume, and everything goes to shit. This market is propped up by the paper-thin support of irrational buyers.
You are not making any sense.  First you say there isn't any depth to the market, and then you say AM is overvalued because of that. 

No, you're wrong.

If all of the shares were on the exchange, and a movement of .35% of the shares crashed the price, then you might have a point.  But that's not the case.  At best, we're talking 6.5% of the shares are on the exchange.  So, a movement of .35% affects the value of ~7% of AM.

Listen, you can't take a sample of .35% of anything and claim it is an accurate sample of 100%.  It's just too small of a sample.

The same could be said for a rally.  It would take a few hundred btc to put the value of AM over 4.

tkone

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:39:54 PM

i love this vycid guy!
constructive criticism is the best!!!! its always good to see through anothers lens...

if only everyone was full of that!

would help keep the price of shares even lower,

this the true believers will be able to re-invest for lower prices, and continue investing for lower prices!!!!

Pages: « 1 ... 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 [581] 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: