Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:27:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 [690] 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916406 times)
hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:37:42 PM

since when is asicminer.info down?
are they working on a new layout?
other site asicminer.co had seen last update in may.
I really hope AM finally gets a decent web appearance.
(during the downtime of bitcointalk the huge dependance on this forum became obvious. Reddit was the only other source for any info)

hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 11:46:15 PM

snip
Saying that... i believe in Asicminer and Friedcat very much.
same thoughts here...I'm invested relatively small though. (still enough that it hurts to watch Tongue)
at this point there's no sense in selling shares anyway (would be more than 70% loss for me)...I saw it as a plausible alternative to preordering mining equipment (during ongoing nextgen-change) or buying shares of scammy-looking mining companies (like labcoin)
the only positive aspect that's left for me right now is that friedcat is sitting in china and btc is showing higher volumes on chinese market which could probably result in a growing demand for mining hardware there.

ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:41:03 AM

I haven't seen "Friedcat for president" picture for a while.

kibblesnbits

Activity: 557
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:03:30 AM

Too funny. Best thing is that there's some granny out there that's become semi-famous and doesn't even know it...

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
pastfarian

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:10:53 AM

Probably because it isn't online yet, i'm sure if it was they would send to found blocks to their mining address so everybody can see, which is conceivably why they send the franchise payments there.. you can't see it because it hasn't happened.

Network hashrate has risen to 2300TH.Who's driving this boom?Bitfury,KNC or, the 500TH of AM?

Don't know if http://erpao.info is official, but it still reports 47 TH/s (in solo mining).

It is the unofficial but accurate record.

It seems the hash rate in the new data center, which should increase 3-5TH daily according to friedcat, is not included in this stat yet?
pastfarian

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:17:27 AM

On the other hand, did any other bitcoin asic company consider broadening their scope, like AM revealed in their last update?

bitcoin asics is a once in a lifetime opportunity. being able to develop a chip so simple it takes only a few engineers a few weeks to design and selling tens of millions of dollars worth of them at 10x or 100x intels margins, I've never seen that before  and don't expect I will  ever see it again.

+1

I can't imagine how these distractions with immersion cooling and 50 port usb hubs is even worth there time with everything at risk and to gain from ASICs, i mean hey, immersion cooling is super cool (pun intended), and it can potentially be a critical piece of the puzzle but to see that getting mentioned in press releases while competition is shipping 28nm, man it makes me nervous that i hope they didn't get sidetracked and forget the reason why people invested in them (ASICs).
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:29:47 AM

cross-post because the discussion of pricing hardware is also relevant for ASICMINER (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251966.msg3339723#msg3339723)

All ASIC companies are pushing out too many chips too fast.  3600 coins per day is just not enough to spread around for the amount of money people have dumped into hardware costs.  There are too many people involved.  Too much greed by ASIC manufacturers.  And too many chips.  It would be far more wise to get refunds and buy btc directly.  The reward for mining is in the hands of the elite now.  Even people that dumped in 5-6 figures are in trouble unless they just bought chips.  You need to be capable of making your own PCB's for as cheap as possible now.
The problem is not that they produce chips too fast. It's their valuation/pricing. Free market valuation of hash power tends to be above expected yield (i.e. a net loss for the miner) for two reasons:
a) Miners are taking to much risk when valuing the hash power at the "edge", i.e. close to the expected yield. Exponential rise causes slight timing and projection errors to easily cause the profitability to fluctuate between -70% - +200%.
b) Companies have an incentive to engage in mining activities to make their R&D back, which creates a vacuum for the sales and at the same time depreciates the expected yield. Just look at ghash.io. I don't know whether the size of that farm was anticipated.

The pricing scheme for hash power is the big issue here, not its yield. Given point a), failure to price correctly causes either the miner to make a huge loss or profit. This needs to change and the first companies who can create a scheme which works for miners and companies alike will be the innovators here.

A good pricing scheme has two features:
i) it removes the risk/unknowns effects of network growth projections on the profitability of mining (operational profit certainty)
ii) it instantly shows whether the miner is willing to mine for profit or for loss (declaration of intent)

Unless i) and ii) are fixed, all missed projections will cause the ASIC companies to look fraudulent, since it causes a net wealth transfer from the mining community towards the ASIC producers.

On that note it may be interesting to establish a shareholder sentiment on the pricing strategy for ASICMINER hardware, between
a) aggressive (maximizing profits)
b) fair/honest
c) competitive (undercutting competition)

Maybe someone would want to organize a poll?

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Strange Vlad

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:46:29 AM

So I've bought my shares at around 2.6 on average (I bought in like 4 batches).
Now they are well under 1.0, plus I've got around 0.3 per share for divs.
Well, shit.
I guess there's little point in selling now anyway, so for now I'll just keep holding and hoping.

Lesson learned: investment is not a game for casual amateurs.

Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
1CdVTkA288cd3m1jkdqPjUfhQ5ebei8gVT
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:58:18 AM

Too funny. Best thing is that there's some granny out there that's become semi-famous and doesn't even know it...

I bet if she found out, she would take it all personal too,
"Those computer people are after me again!  I am dialing the police station!"

jmutch

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:16:44 AM

Probably because it isn't online yet, i'm sure if it was they would send to found blocks to their mining address so everybody can see, which is conceivably why they send the franchise payments there.. you can't see it because it hasn't happened.

Network hashrate has risen to 2300TH.Who's driving this boom?Bitfury,KNC or, the 500TH of AM?

Don't know if http://erpao.info is official, but it still reports 47 TH/s (in solo mining).

It seems the hash rate in the new data center, which should increase 3-5TH daily according to friedcat, is not included in this stat yet?
This 3-5th daily that friedcat was talking about was misinterpreted.

It's not being added daily, he was just showing the split of where the ~60th comes from. 3-5th=variance in reliability(i think)

Hopefully soon more hash will come online though.

stefffe

Activity: 131

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:20:47 AM

So I've bought my shares at around 2.6 on average (I bought in like 4 batches).
Now they are well under 1.0, plus I've got around 0.3 per share for divs.
Well, shit.
I guess there's little point in selling now anyway, so for now I'll just keep holding and hoping.

Lesson learned: investment is not a game for casual amateurs.

MMMmmmhhhh....I thought I made a good deal when they went from 4.5 to 3.5 so I invested about 50btc. Im kinda poor now  Grin Angry Sad Shocked

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:21:46 AM

This 3-5th daily that friedcat was talking about was misinterpreted.

It's not being added daily, he was just showing the split of where the ~60th comes from. 3-5th=variance in reliability(i think)

Hopefully soon more hash will come online though.

Maybe one of these days he will stick around for a few minutes after an update to prevent misinterpretations like this..

AMuppInTime
Donator

Activity: 290

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 07:16:24 AM

If you take the time to sift through friedcat's last few posts the message is rather clear - the "designs" they were looking into were not fruitful and they are doing research again on new designs after they decided to hire staff. From this point on you're not investing for dividends, which are going to be lost in a sea of miners coming online, but in a company.

Now there's 2 years salary for them to look into new designs and one month of fabrication (witholdings on past divs the past two months).

Time to hibernate guys - will come out when the sun shines on the cat again...
allover

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

In mathematics we believe.

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 07:25:38 AM

I got heavily burnt on AsicMiner shares.

I'll buy next batch only if the price goes below 0.02, which means I can dramatically lower my average cost.

http://letsdice.com | True dice game, Jackpot accumulated, Huge referral rewards!
kaidy1979

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 07:35:22 AM

Looking to borrow 100 ASICMiner shares for no more than 6 months at 50% yearly interest.

I am looking for someone to borrow 100 ASICMiner shares from. Either direct shares or shares on Havelock. I really want to borrow them from a single person, if possible.

I will be paying 50% annualized interest every week on the total value of the shares at the purchase date, according to Havelock. Interest will be paid once every week to an address of your choosing.
If you try 796,things would be much easier.The finacing and margin trade of 796 is exactly what you want except the period(the longest period is 4 weeks and the lowest weekly interest rate is 0.2% which is much lower than you offers)
If you are interested,try the link in my signature or just the link below http://union.796.com/link/redirect/100029?f=word

796 Exchange is a financial website for Bitcoin-related services covering futures, stocks, funds, margin trading. https://796.com/invite/do/105071
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:09:50 AM

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but it appears AM is no longer making gen1 USB block eruptors (and maybe blades but the phrasing isn't clear and I was expecting 500GH at some point). According to BTC Guild production of gen 1 has stopped:

Block Erupter Price Cuts / Blades Sold Out
USB Block Erupters have recently experienced another price cut, now at 0.12 BTC (free shipping within US). ASICMINER is stopping the production of new units, so remaining inventory is limited. ASICMINER Blades have now completely sold out as well.

October 10th, 2013

https://www.btcguild.com/index.php?page=home

Edit: Could gen2 be sooner than we think?

Possible they might just be observing the network growth and determining efficiency
4.75 Years for 1 and a month for 2
http://thegenesisblock.com/bitcoin-network-doubles-2-phs-four-weeks-first-1-phs-took-4-7-years

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg3339745#msg3339745
Jutrauls post +1

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Strange Vlad

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:17:08 AM

Possible they might just be observing the network growth and determining efficiency
http://thegenesisblock.com/bitcoin-network-doubles-2-phs-four-weeks-first-1-phs-took-4-7-years

Jutrauls post +1

One more week and it will be 3 PH/s. Grin

Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 08:26:25 AM

Jutrauls post +1

One more week and it will be 3 PH/s. Grin

Things I can measure in petahashes
Ponders bitcoin
(Hard pressed to think of something else lol)

http://blog.standardcrypto.com/2013/09/15/what-does-one-petahash-look-like/

That said now it is now equivalent to two Wilshire-sized data centers filled with Blades

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 01:02:13 PM

cross-post because the discussion of pricing hardware is also relevant for ASICMINER (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251966.msg3339723#msg3339723)

All ASIC companies are pushing out too many chips too fast.  3600 coins per day is just not enough to spread around for the amount of money people have dumped into hardware costs.  There are too many people involved.  Too much greed by ASIC manufacturers.  And too many chips.  It would be far more wise to get refunds and buy btc directly.  The reward for mining is in the hands of the elite now.  Even people that dumped in 5-6 figures are in trouble unless they just bought chips.  You need to be capable of making your own PCB's for as cheap as possible now.
The problem is not that they produce chips too fast. It's their valuation/pricing. Free market valuation of hash power tends to be above expected yield (i.e. a net loss for the miner) for two reasons:
a) Miners are taking to much risk when valuing the hash power at the "edge", i.e. close to the expected yield. Exponential rise causes slight timing and projection errors to easily cause the profitability to fluctuate between -70% - +200%.
b) Companies have an incentive to engage in mining activities to make their R&D back, which creates a vacuum for the sales and at the same time depreciates the expected yield. Just look at ghash.io. I don't know whether the size of that farm was anticipated.

The pricing scheme for hash power is the big issue here, not its yield. Given point a), failure to price correctly causes either the miner to make a huge loss or profit. This needs to change and the first companies who can create a scheme which works for miners and companies alike will be the innovators here.

A good pricing scheme has two features:
i) it removes the risk/unknowns effects of network growth projections on the profitability of mining (operational profit certainty)
ii) it instantly shows whether the miner is willing to mine for profit or for loss (declaration of intent)

Unless i) and ii) are fixed, all missed projections will cause the ASIC companies to look fraudulent, since it causes a net wealth transfer from the mining community towards the ASIC producers.

On that note it may be interesting to establish a shareholder sentiment on the pricing strategy for ASICMINER hardware, between
a) aggressive (maximizing profits)
b) fair/honest
c) competitive (undercutting competition)

Maybe someone would want to organize a poll?

I think it should be simply a price that maximizes profit. Selling more for a lower price or selling less for a higher price. Something in between. Asicminer cant change the buyers behaviour. If they dont buy here they buy elsewhere. And it doesnt matter how much preorders are floating around. Thats something the buyers seems not to consider.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Strange Vlad

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:28:33 PM

I think it should be simply a price that maximizes profit. Selling more for a lower price or selling less for a higher price. Something in between. Asicminer cant change the buyers behaviour. If they dont buy here they buy elsewhere. And it doesnt matter how much preorders are floating around. Thats something the buyers seems not to consider.

To maximize profit is to set the price (at least) as high as possible for the product to still be selling in whatever volume is being produced.  I'm a genius.

Pages: « 1 ... 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 [690] 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: