Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:39:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 712 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it better to save money or invest it?  (Read 1181158 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:38:20 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2015, 08:51:39 AM by Amph

Saving: Safe, keep value.
Investing: Possible profit, but risky.

it depend on the risk of the investments, if the ratio is in favor of the possible profit, then the investments would always be the best choice

actually thre is some risk in saving money, due to thieves, maybe you save a big amount in your house, and you get robbed at the end...better if you used those to buy a small garage and rent it

So how about if you save it in the bank? It has a lower risk than save it in your house right? Big amount in the bank sure get some interest. It will earn

you possible of amount so you can just sit at your house and get paid every month

still bank aren't 100% safe and their return is abysmally(if you plan to lock your money for the usual 1-3% per year or what it is) low like their chances that they will be robbed, so you see the ratio between safe and risk is always about the same

low risk low return, high risk high return
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GreenStox

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:50:22 AM

it depend on the risk of the investments, if the ratio is in favor of the possible profit, then the investments would always be the best choice

actually thre is some risk in saving money, due to thieves, maybe you save a big amount in your house, and you get robbed at the end...better if you used those to buy a small garage and rent it

So how about if you save it in the bank? It has a lower risk than save it in your house right? Big amount in the bank sure get some interest. It will earn

you possible of amount so you can just sit at your house and get paid every month

still bank aren't 100% safe and their return is abysmally(if you plan to lock your money for the usual 1-3% per year or what it is) low like their chances that they will be robbed, so you see the ratio between safe and risk is always about the safe

low risk low return, high risk high return

Haha but not by a burglar but by them. With a low return you would expect low risk right?

Well hell no, they will just take it as collateral the minute the "Investment insurance fund" gets bankrupt.

Or wait, we got tax money reserves there right to bail them all out?  Cheesy

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:18:01 AM

I though mostly about the risk of price swings. You could separate out the risk of theft, or maybe not, because risk of theft and scams are always present also in investing.

The risk is always what you assess yourself, there is not an automatic connection between risk and profit. A project could have low prospected profit and still big risk. Obviously you avoid that kind of business. The connection between high risk and high profit is somewhat maintained by the market, because everybody want to avoid the combination of low return and high risk.

Modified statement:

Saving: As low risk as possible, don't care about profit.

Investing: Want high profit, take risk if necessary.

Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:27:07 AM

Having money in the form of fiat paper rectangles and token coins, contra a bank deposit.

Nowadays people conflate the two, because having a demand deposit account with card and stuff is so practical.

But in fact they are different. Depositing in a bank means you lend your money to the bank, so it is an investment via lending.

You could also ask the bank to hold your money for safety without lending to them.

If you compare the risk of lending with the risk of theft (when holding the money directly), the risk factor may be in favour of bank deposit under normal conditions. But conditions are not always normal.

tl;dr Bank deposit is lending, which is a form of investing.
dblink

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:54:24 AM

I would recommend you to invest in properties, but it depends on how much money you posses and which country you lived in, if you have more money you can go to U.A.E and Qatar to invest their in properties such as in real estates, or if your country very good in property investment then invest in your own country itself, Any land you purchased think as of you bought an Orange Gold.

tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:47:41 AM

Fiat and paper money do not have any intrinsic value. Therefore, investing in properties, goods  and stocks is always better than keeping a lot of in your bank account. Hold only that much in cash as you need for your daily life and some purchases.
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:59:10 AM

Saving (refer to the saving/investment discussion) has fallen out of fancy these days. In my opinion, people are desperate to save, and they look for investments that have the characteristics of saving. For many that means housing, because of low risk and the house keeps its value. Of course there are other considerations with housing, but the main idea is that it is an attempt at saving, and if you want to save more you might move to a bigger house.

The reason is that sound money has not been available to people, the fiat loses value. But saving is the prime driver for most people. Investing is not for everyone, not everyone have the ambition to know about factories, technology and markets, not everyone wants to use their brain power to consider possible future developments and consider risk. They just want to save to be free from possible disaster in the future, and have something for their old days and for the kids. They don't want to be conserned with those things, they just want to live a good life. And they don't have to, entrepreneurs  and ideas are plentiful.

Saving in money is restored with the event of bitcoin. That is the biggest thing.
GreenStox

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:32:50 AM

Having money in the form of fiat paper rectangles and token coins, contra a bank deposit.

Nowadays people conflate the two, because having a demand deposit account with card and stuff is so practical.

But in fact they are different. Depositing in a bank means you lend your money to the bank, so it is an investment via lending.

You could also ask the bank to hold your money for safety without lending to them.

If you compare the risk of lending with the risk of theft (when holding the money directly), the risk factor may be in favour of bank deposit under normal conditions. But conditions are not always normal.

Sorry for my french but that is bullshit.

They also put your checking account into short term loans, but they dont give interest to you on it, thats why a checking account is free (nothing is free they just dont tell you about it)

So if a bank loses everything, your deposit & checking account goes with it too.

If the investment insurance fund cannot bailout the bank, then they go bankrupt too.

If the government cant bail out the I.I.F then they go bankrupt too.

If the central bank cannot print money fast enough to bail out the gov bonds, then the whole system collapses.

It's all a house of cards, based on empty promises, which will fall down like a domino one day.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:47:04 AM

Sorry for my french but that is bullshit.

They also put your checking account into short term loans, but they dont give interest to you on it, thats why a checking account is free (nothing is free they just dont tell you about it)

So if a bank loses everything, your deposit & checking account goes with it too.

If the investment insurance fund cannot bailout the bank, then they go bankrupt too.

If the government cant bail out the I.I.F then they go bankrupt too.

If the central bank cannot print money fast enough to bail out the gov bonds, then the whole system collapses.

It's all a house of cards, based on empty promises, which will fall down like a domino one day.

You are completely right, and so am I. The two views are consistent.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:49:50 AM

If you have more money you can go to U.A.E and Qatar to invest their in properties such as in real estates

During the recession, the property prices in the United Arab Emirates slumped as much as 50% to 70%. Right now, most of these properties are worth much less than their price tag in the 2008. Many of the proposed real estate projects have been either abandoned by the builders, or have been put on hold (for example, the third stage of the Palm Islands).
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1404

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 12:04:54 PM

They just want to save to be free from possible disaster in the future, and have something for their old days and for the kids. They don't want to be conserned with those things, they just want to live a good life. And they don't have to, entrepreneurs  and ideas are plentiful.

Saving in money is restored with the event of bitcoin. That is the biggest thing.

If security is the one and only thoughts that you want when you are saving than BTC is a great choice for that however with all due respect , not everyone is a believer that BTC might be 4-5 figures in USD for years ahead. The great swing of the price is pretty much another aspect that someone should consider when deciding that he wanted to save in form of BTC .

Nothing is indeed much better than BTC in form of security but the huge volatility is what prevents most people from jumping into this ship. Also that not to mention the risk of it become worthless in overnight , however this is highly unlikely to happen

Just make a lot of money, then deposit it to bank & earn monthly money from there Roll Eyes

This is always what I've seen around here. People thought that to either gain interest you need a big capital however this is a false statement. You will still gain interest no matter how small your capital is, difference will be that if you have a big one then you would have big gain of interest as well however the risk that you bear are bigger as well

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:31:54 PM

They just want to save to be free from possible disaster in the future, and have something for their old days and for the kids. They don't want to be conserned with those things, they just want to live a good life. And they don't have to, entrepreneurs  and ideas are plentiful.

If security is the one and only thoughts that you want when you are saving than BTC is a great choice for that however with all due respect , not everyone is a believer that BTC might be 4-5 figures in USD for years ahead. The great swing of the price is pretty much another aspect that someone should consider when deciding that he wanted to save in form of BTC .

Nothing is indeed much better than BTC in form of security but the huge volatility is what prevents most people from jumping into this ship. Also that not to mention the risk of it become worthless in overnight , however this is highly unlikely to happen

Just make a lot of money, then deposit it to bank & earn monthly money from there Roll Eyes

This is always what I've seen around here. People thought that to either gain interest you need a big capital however this is a false statement. You will still gain interest no matter how small your capital is, difference will be that if you have a big one then you would have big gain of interest as well however the risk that you bear are bigger as well

Without going into your new arguments, which are interesting and also have been discussed a lot, I stand by the opinion that:

1) Most people really want to just save.

2) Saving in fiat is not possible, due to inflation. Saving in bitcoin is possible.

The thing with bitcoin is that while it's value varies, like all money types do, and like all money have to do forever, it is unescapable, the value of bitcoin can not be destroyed by money printing. Neither, direct, via QE (electronic money printing) nor by creating galloping loans.

arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1404

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 02:23:28 PM

Saving in fiat is not possible, due to inflation. Saving in bitcoin is possible.

By the bolded part, do I get it correctly that you are saying saving in FIAT is not possible because inflation rate is much higher than the interest rate per annum? If it is so then the same thing could be applied to saving in BTC as well because the percentage of the price decline could be the same as inflation as well. Also that saving in BTC doesnt mean that someone will keep his savings in form of BTC forever as you might someday exchange it back to FIAT just to find the value has been half of when you bought them

P.S : it has been discussed alot but none has given a satisfactory answer on this matter, could you then? As a matter of fact , I am a fan of BTC security but I cant seem to let go the fact that I am losing if I save my saving in BTC because the tendency of the price keep on falling

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:40:30 PM

Saving in fiat is not possible, due to inflation. Saving in bitcoin is possible.

By the bolded part, do I get it correctly that you are saying saving in FIAT is not possible because inflation rate is much higher than the interest rate per annum? If it is so then the same thing could be applied to saving in BTC as well because the percentage of the price decline could be the same as inflation as well. Also that saving in BTC doesnt mean that someone will keep his savings in form of BTC forever as you might someday exchange it back to FIAT just to find the value has been half of when you bought them

P.S : it has been discussed alot but none has given a satisfactory answer on this matter, could you then? As a matter of fact , I am a fan of BTC security but I cant seem to let go the fact that I am losing if I save my saving in BTC because the tendency of the price keep on falling

I say only what I say: If bitcoin loses value, it is not because of the money manager printing more.
Dotakels

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 02:53:13 PM

I say only what I say: If bitcoin loses value, it is not because of the money manager printing more.

LOL you can't save into fiat money due to inflation? I think you are wrong because some of business man that now are rich, they save in fiat money and they didn't used bitcoin to stored their money. Because if you save in bitcoin through keeping it into your wallet, you are exception in inflation rate but, if you are already exchange it, it will now only like fiat money with inflation.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 09:52:46 PM

well bitcoin gets better results as may become the worse way to get interest as it can loose status and value as gain it in less then a day
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 11:42:59 PM

Don't save money, you think you're making money off of interest but you're really not. Invest in stocks right now, it's pretty hot. Cryptocurrencies would be my second choice, but btc no. Btc is a little too unpredictable right now, I've seen currencies which have higher potential and value.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 12:13:45 AM

Theres that saying when when your print off nothing that backs up its value, its just really piece of paper lol.

Voltaire mentions the intrinsic value of fiat will always go back to zero.

But, saving or investing really a personal situation ideally everyone wants to invest..
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 01:05:24 AM

LOL you can't save into fiat money due to inflation? I think you are wrong because some of business man that now are rich, they save in fiat money and they didn't used bitcoin to stored their money. Because if you save in bitcoin through keeping it into your wallet, you are exception in inflation rate but, if you are already exchange it, it will now only like fiat money with inflation.

I doubt they saved themself rich, more likely it was investments.

Lets say there is inflation, and that a flat increases at the general inflation rate and someones salary also increases at the general inflation rate. Many people consider this to be neutral, and it is, but only for the consumption, not for saving.

The value of his saving will stop increasing at some point, namely where the value loss on his total savings, from inflation, matches his periodical saving value. Depending on the value of the flat in question, it could be that he can not save enough, even if he continued to save a percentage of his salary every month for a hundred years. I can't be bothered to come up with an example, but you can do it yourself.
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 01:15:55 AM

Don't save money, you think you're making money off of interest but you're really not. Invest in stocks right now, it's pretty hot. Cryptocurrencies would be my second choice, but btc no. Btc is a little too unpredictable right now, I've seen currencies which have higher potential and value.

Of course this depends on the stock youre investing right.. cause what if someone invests, but they did it in pennystocks.

Still a stock right? but most of them go pump and dump, so not all stocks and this also includes blue chips as well.

also to add on, due to many daytraders still out there and growing, its not really recommended to hold a certain stock for a long time.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 712 »
  Print  

Jump to: