Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:11:08 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 265 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet  (Read 965822 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:10:43 PM

Well they need to say that on their website and they don't so I expect 3 BTC which is what I paid. Do you have a law degree?

I don't have a law degree, but I was recently reimbursed by my Swiss employer for my expenses abroad. They paid me Swiss Francs with the rate on the day of the expense. I'm pretty sure it is legal and I'm also pretty sure you are getting Czech Crowns if you ever get a refund. Does your lawyer has a Czech law degree?

That said, I'm still willing to pay you 330USD for the device.

My lawyer has an International Business & Economic Law degree, so I think he knows a little more than you.

$330 is insulting for my device, not only is the device rare as well as it is limited, and first edition. The device is probably worth more than 3 bitcoins and for sure in a couple of years I could probably get a good price for it.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:22:37 PM

mytrezor website is unusable. It freezes and few moments later browser tells me that trezor plugin is not responding. I can't even click on the "Support" link. Both firefox and chrome act the same way. Both trezor plugged in and plugged out.

I've had this problem, too. Can't click support link unless the plugin is working (which can't because my chrome is too new). The popup telling me to dl the plugin is modal and blocking everything else it seems. Can't be closed either.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 09:08:38 PM

The device is probably worth more than 3 bitcoins and for sure in a couple of years I could probably get a good price for it.
Sounds like you have a plan.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
novusordo

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:55:41 PM

Trezor ils not really offline, if you look carefully, you will see a cable Wink

offline != cableless

Wifi is without a cable and is online.
Trezor has a cable and is offline.

I Never said offline = cable less

But you have an USB cable, plugged to a computer, connected to internet...
With data going in and out of Trezor, from and to internet and you say it's offline ? Really ?

I don't think so.

Taking into consideration that the Trezor exposes no keys to the host computer and has no networking capabilities, I do think so.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:45:35 AM

So you can expose unencrypted wallet.dat on USB key connected to online computer, because the key don't have network and will not send the wallet to the host ?

I know offline devices won't expose keys, for connected devices, I can't tell.

Let me be clear, I think trezor is nice, convenient and more secure than past hot wallets, but clearly not as secure as offline devices or paper (I only consider online threats there)

the trezor does not have a wallet.dat that is exposed - and applying a password further removes the issue.  Its more secure than printing paper wallets or creating a USB key

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:48:11 AM

My lawyer has an International Business & Economic Law degree, so I think he knows a little more than you.

$330 is insulting for my device, not only is the device rare as well as it is limited, and first edition. The device is probably worth more than 3 bitcoins and for sure in a couple of years I could probably get a good price for it.
The refund is usually what you paid, not what you dream that the device is worth.  If you paid in BTC, the amount to be refunded is the (amount of BTC you paid) x (BTC price at the time you paid).

Besides, if the Trezor it is worth more than 330$, then you should pay the difference to satoshilabs.  Grin

That said, a company that sets prices and does its accounting in BTC knows nothing about marketing and even less about accounting.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:56:42 AM

The refund is usually what you paid, not what you dream that the device is worth.  If you paid in BTC, the amount to be refunded is the (amount of BTC you paid) x (BTC price at the time you paid).

Besides, if the Trezor it is worth more than 330$, then you should pay the difference to satoshilabs.  Grin

That said, a company that sets prices and does its accounting in BTC knows nothing about marketing and even less about accounting.

You are combining like three different threads. I paid 3 BTC and looking for a refund of 3 BTCs. He made an offer on my device and I told him what I thought about his offer. I never said refund me what I think the device is worth. Please read and understand what I write, not that hard.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:27:03 AM

You are combining like three different threads. I paid 3 BTC and looking for a refund of 3 BTCs. He made an offer on my device and I told him what I thought about his offer. I never said refund me what I think the device is worth. Please read and understand what I write, not that hard.
Seems I did, sorry. 

But I stand for the first point (about the refund).  If the 3 BTC that you send them were worth X euros when you send them, you paid X euros, and you are entitled to a refund of X euros.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:50:39 AM

Seems I did, sorry. 

But I stand for the first point (about the refund).  If the 3 BTC that you send them were worth X euros when you send them, you paid X euros, and you are entitled to a refund of X euros.

They weren't priced in euros or usd when I purchased mine, they were priced 3 BTC for mine and 1 BTC for the plastic.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:36:01 AM

They weren't priced in euros or usd when I purchased mine, they were priced 3 BTC for mine and 1 BTC for the plastic.
I understand that that is your preferred interpretation, but I bet that the courts would not agree.   In the US bitcoins are not currency but merchandise; I do not know in Czechia but I bet that the court would take that view.    Courts usually do not count as "loss" a profit that you could have made if you did not give something to the merchant  (in this case, the money that you could have made if you had saved those BTC and sold them today). 

On the other hand you may be able to get damages, if you convince the judge that you lost money because of their fault.   I wonder how you could prove that, though.

But, sincerely, I would not feel sorry for Satoshilabs if they are forced to refund you 3 BTC.  It would teach them not to quote prices in BTC (and, more generally, that business and religion do not mix).  Grin

(Sorry for being cynical.  Maybe I need to take a long break  from this forum.)

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 05:00:00 AM

I understand that that is your preferred interpretation

LMAO it isn't my preferred anything. They told me the device costed 3 BTCs, I paid 3 BTCs. Do you even know how courts work? I love these monday morning legal teams. We technically bartered I was promised a device that I can use, I can't use that device due to their service not working properly and then refusing to fix it, which is actually quite well documented on the forum.

But I am not taking legal action, I just want a refund, and to use escrow so I don't get swindled again. Wink But I doubt I will get it, and I will just hold on to the device and sell in 5 yrs for a profit since it is a collectors item now.
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 05:52:18 AM

(Sorry for being cynical.  Maybe I need to take a long break  from this forum.)

I'd vote for either that or back up your security questions with code, exploits, real life scenarios, anything. It's all fun to come up with theories when (almost) all code is here for everyone to see, but doesn't really serve any purpose in my opinion.

But I am not taking legal action,

I haven't seen anyone else mentioning his lawyer in this thread. Or perhaps he's working for free and like answering your questions, then it could be nice to share his contact, as I always wanted to meet that kind of lawyer  Grin

But I doubt I will get it, and I will just hold on to the device and sell in 5 yrs for a profit since it is a collectors item now.

so, problem solved, and people already gave you multiple options to recover your funds, either with or without Trezor (and yeah, the double spend is not an issue - given the time you had to push it yourself)

klokan

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:02:13 AM

refusing to fix it, which is actually quite well documented on the forum.

This forum documents that they are refusing to talk to you, not refusing to fix it. And I told you many times that you never payed for the myTrezor web wallet service. I repeat, YOU PAID ZERO BTC/USD/CZK/whatever for the web wallet. It's free. What does your lawyer says about that? My lawyer says that you cannot be refunded for your device just because the free service from the same company does not work for you.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 06:02:18 AM

It's extremely safer than paper, especially when spending

novusordo

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:03:14 AM

So you can expose unencrypted wallet.dat on USB key connected to online computer, because the key don't have network and will not send the wallet to the host ?

I know offline devices won't expose keys, for connected devices, I can't tell.

Let me be clear, I think trezor is nice, convenient and more secure than past hot wallets, but clearly not as secure as offline devices or paper (I only consider online threats there)

Your comparison is inaccurate, because a wallet file on a USB drive is just as easy to steal as a wallet file on a hard drive, if it's plugged in. Trezor isolates the private keys from the computer, which is the whole point. The host computer sends the Trezor the transaction, the Trezor signs it and sends it back, then the computer broadcasts it to the network. The private keys are never accessible by the host machine.

It's less secure than paper wallets in the sense that there could be some sort of bug that would expose your seed, or individual private keys somehow. You can't get total isolation and also be able to use the private keys (if you know how that could be done, I'd be very interested in hearing about it). Trezor is, right now, the best of both worlds between hot and cold wallets.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:15:23 AM

refusing to fix it, which is actually quite well documented on the forum.

This forum documents that they are refusing to talk to you, not refusing to fix it. And I told you many times that you never payed for the myTrezor web wallet service. I repeat, YOU PAID ZERO BTC/USD/CZK/whatever for the web wallet. It's free. What does your lawyer says about that? My lawyer says that you cannot be refunded for your device just because the free service from the same company does not work for you.

Just ignore him.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:20:46 AM

back up your security questions with code, exploits, real life scenarios, anything. It's all fun to come up with theories when (almost) all code is here for everyone to see, but doesn't really serve any purpose in my opinion.

That's ridiculous.  I have helped enough already, if you can't see the risks, I don't care any more. You have bitcoins, I don't; so bitcoin theft is  your problem, not mine.  Angry

btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 06:28:12 AM

That's ridiculous.  I have helped enough already, if you can't see the risks, I don't care any more.

I'm not the one that needs being convinced.

You have bitcoins, I don't; so bitcoin theft is  your problem, not mine.  Angry

oh ok so you're only trolling here, not trying to improve things. duly noted.

klokan

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:36:22 AM

But, sincerely, I would not feel sorry for Satoshilabs if they are forced to refund you 3 BTC.  It would teach them not to quote prices in BTC (and, more generally, that business and religion do not mix).  Grin

(Sorry for being cynical.  Maybe I need to take a long break  from this forum.)

In Czech Republic, accounting act #563/1991 § 4/12 mandates that all accounting is done in Czech Crowns and § 24/2a mandates that the value rate is taken at the day of the payment. Here is the law to calm gweedo's lawyer and Jorge's cynicism: http://www.zakonyprolidi.cz/cs/1991-563

And Jorge, I understand that you are skeptical about BTC. I read your "Beware of Bitcoin" pamphlet yesterday. But I don't understand why do you need to attack every Bitcoin related company? Guys are trying to improve security and they are very open about it. You already told us what are the potential threats about the device. Can you tell us how would you improve it? If they can't improve it, maybe Brazilian government can start making the devices that you will be able to trust based on their open-source software/hardware. Isn't it a good thing?
anarchoatheist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:46:48 AM

Seems I did, sorry. 

I have a hypothetical question for you. Lets say bitcoin had crashed all the way and were currently now worth $1 each, would you still be wanting your refund in btc?
Pages: « 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 265 »
  Print  

Jump to: