Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:06:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 118 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH price soaring. Are you going to move some BTC into ETH?  (Read 198763 times)
Venon

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 07:34:28 AM

I wish I could get excited when Ethereum switches to PoS, thus eliminating the only advantage it has above all the other Ethereum clones with much cheaper fuel but I cannot find an example of a DAPP that makes any practical sense yet. It would be neat to have æthereum as a BTC sidechain where fuel was distributed for free to all bitcoin users* but I want to know a compelling reason why DAPPs would be useful in the first place. Can anyone suggest a reason besides the novelty of it?

*   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563925.0

I heard in the future, any (many ) coins can be used in the Ethereum eco system. So Ethereum does not have to be sidechain of bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:01:24 AM

I wish I could get excited when Ethereum switches to PoS, thus eliminating the only advantage it has above all the other Ethereum clones with much cheaper fuel but I cannot find an example of a DAPP that makes any practical sense yet. It would be neat to have æthereum as a BTC sidechain where fuel was distributed for free to all bitcoin users* but I want to know a compelling reason why DAPPs would be useful in the first place. Can anyone suggest a reason besides the novelty of it?

*   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563925.0

I heard in the future, any (many ) coins can be used in the Ethereum eco system. So Ethereum does not have to be sidechain of bitcoin.

Storj are considering it.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:47:43 AM

Erhereum will switch to POS then begin sharding itself:

So it will eventually scale better than bitcoin.

This can be replicated as a sidechain or clone with the exact same scaling abilities. Switching to PoS simply gives up its one advantage over all the other Ethereum clones out there... the PoW mining hash rate, because it is trivial to create a larger, wider, and more distributed PoS stake base by bootstrapping upon a userbase that is larger than ethereum . Look up clams and æthereum on how this is done.

This doesn't answer the question. The questions are what DAPPs do you see as having a practical use case and why wouldn't I use fuels given to me on a more secure PoS clone? Why spend 3 pennies or higher on DAPP cpu cycles when I am given fuel for free and than when I run out new fuel is a fraction of the cost of ethereum with its clone?
nickenburg

Activity: 434
Merit: 511

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:17:04 PM

ether is just a toy for big sharks. stay away Smiley

That made me laugh, I don't know did u even do some research about ethereum??
When I first heard about it the first thing what I did was find as much info about it as I could.

And I really think it is going to be something big, not bigger then Bitcoin, but at least a good number 2.
I mean come on Litecoin is almost the same as Bitcoin why would I use Litecoin over Bitcoins..

We needed a good number 2 and Ethereum is here to stay and grow.
Especially since they have good connections to the financial and political world!

Sounds like you are trying to create a problem to justify Ethereum as a solution to the problem.

The problem does not exist. We don't need a "good number 2".

Now if there is an actual problem Ethereum actually solves in a novel way, it may become a "good number 2" but becoming a "good number 2" is not itself a problem.

I flush "good number 2"s down the toilet every day.

Ok, I am not creating a problem, I think Bitcoin is great, But there will always be a new coin that will at least compete with Bitcoin.
I know Ethereum is not here to compete with Bitcoin, they said themselves: We see Bitcoin as the Gold, and Ethereum as Oil.

So I still think ethereum is a good number 2 in the crypto world!

And why don't we need a good number 2?
I mean there will always be a number 2 no matter what, the technology is still pretty new, so there is always room for improvement.
And then why not Ethereum, it bring's a lot of new innovation and, they are very smart bringing this to all the people of the world.

I know Bitcoin was the first and is still the best cryptocurrency out there, But ethereum is and will stay number 2 for a long time!
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:27:41 PM

I know Bitcoin was the first and is still the best cryptocurrency out there, But ethereum is and will stay number 2 for a long time!

If this is true than please answer these 2 questions.

What DAPPs do you see as having a practical use case and why wouldn't I use fuels given to me on a more secure PoS clone? Why spend 3 pennies or higher on DAPP cpu cycles when I am given fuel for free and than when I run out new fuel is a fraction of the cost of ethereum with its clone?

Other many concerns :

1) Vitalik organization is running out of money as he admitted himself and he will need to start dumping his large bag to pay expenses
2) You think Bitcoin has scaling problems , Ethereum's blocksize is already over 10GB and no one is using it. Even if they "sharded up" and pruned the blocksize they are going to have much larger problems because there currency isn't a currency but fuel for cpu cycles, thus a popular DAPP would both drive up the cost of cpu cycles and clog the network
3) 12 sec blocktimes is absurdly small and leads to too many orphans or forks. This is why Monero devs are increasing from 1 minute block times to 2 or more

spike420211

Activity: 1610
Merit: 372

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 02:59:49 PM

Just been over on Poloniex and there's a MASSIVE buy wall ETH/BTC hitting Ethereum tonight. Buy while your still can.
I bought 2.5 ETH's @4am. right as the price came out of the dip @ 0.022 BTC, now @ 0.025 BTC.
I'll see if it holds... doing better than getting sucked out in 2 micro tourneys @ Betcoin LOL...
nickenburg

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 04:44:42 PM

If this is true than please answer these 2 questions.

What DAPPs do you see as having a practical use case and why wouldn't I use fuels given to me on a more secure PoS clone? Why spend 3 pennies or higher on DAPP cpu cycles when I am given fuel for free and than when I run out new fuel is a fraction of the cost of ethereum with its clone?

Other many concerns :

1) Vitalik organization is running out of money as he admitted himself and he will need to start dumping his large bag to pay expenses
2) You think Bitcoin has scaling problems , Ethereum's blocksize is already over 10GB and no one is using it. Even if they "sharded up" and pruned the blocksize they are going to have much larger problems because there currency isn't a currency but fuel for cpu cycles, thus a popular DAPP would both drive up the cost of cpu cycles and clog the network
3) 12 sec blocktimes is absurdly small and leads to too many orphans or forks. This is why Monero devs are increasing from 1 minute block times to 2 or more

Ok 1 practical Dapp I would see useful is a Dapp that would Hold all the elections of a country.
A way for the people to really vote in a democratic way, where you are sure you can't be cheated.
You can vote for everything, and then we would eventually not need politics.
And I could think of so many more good examples.

And why would I go for a clone, when Ethereum has the most money to build something good?
The only thing I see coming close to Ethereum is Lisk and We just have to see how that goes.

But you have a lot of concerns, and I am more positive about it.
I agree the blockchain is pretty big, I am downloading it right now and it is about 80% right now.
And it is already taking 6 hours, So that is indeed big and will only get bigger.
And they also say it is really easy for the normal people, But you still need some computer experience for this.

BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 04:52:37 PM

Ok 1 practical Dapp I would see useful is a Dapp that would Hold all the elections of a country.

This would be cost prohibitive, states would not be interested in giving Vitalik control of their elections but controlling the mechanism of voting themselves (why wouldn't they clone their own and collect the profits from fuel?), and wouldn't protect against a sybil attack. There is a good reason voting is typically done in person as it minimizes voter fraud.  

And why would I go for a clone, when Ethereum has the most money to build something good?

A clone bootstrapped to a larger and more diverse user base would be more secure and offer cheaper fuel. Why wouldn't you use a clone if there was a DAPP that made practical sense(none yet)? The reason people cannot do the same with bitcoin is principally because all the hardware(ASICs, POS, ATM's ,hardware wallets, ect...) that isn't so easy to change as software. Vitalik plans of getting rid of the only advantage they have and switching to a PoS version of "ghost" which can be forked or cloned easily , just like how ethereum has already been multiple times over.
nickenburg

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 11:16:30 PM

This would be cost prohibitive, states would not be interested in giving Vitalik control of their elections but controlling the mechanism of voting themselves (why wouldn't they clone their own and collect the profits from fuel?), and wouldn't protect against a sybil attack. There is a good reason voting is typically done in person as it minimizes voter fraud.  

A clone bootstrapped to a larger and more diverse user base would be more secure and offer cheaper fuel. Why wouldn't you use a clone if there was a DAPP that made practical sense(none yet)? The reason people cannot do the same with bitcoin is principally because all the hardware(ASICs, POS, ATM's ,hardware wallets, ect...) that isn't so easy to change as software. Vitalik plans of getting rid of the only advantage they have and switching to a PoS version of "ghost" which can be forked or cloned easily , just like how ethereum has already been multiple times over.

Of course states wouldn't want to give away that power, and they don't give it to vitalik but to the people.
and I think at some point they will have to listen to the people who live in this world.
The People have to take control because the politicians are not doing a good job at all.
So many unhappy people on the planet, we can take control with the decentralization of things

But to run and create clones and dapps people need Ethereum anyway, so If they do that who cares.
Ethereum is still the full for everything, which will always be needed.
And Vitalik will choose the best for the coin, that is what I believe.
He is a smart guy I don't see you creating Ethereum.
fricircled

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:22:18 AM

Just been over on Poloniex and there's a MASSIVE buy wall ETH/BTC hitting Ethereum tonight. Buy while your still can.
I bought 2.5 ETH's @4am. right as the price came out of the dip @ 0.022 BTC, now @ 0.025 BTC.
I'll see if it holds... doing better than getting sucked out in 2 micro tourneys @ Betcoin LOL...

That could be a good purchase if you look back in 20 years. The price of Ethereum could be the same as bitcoin then.
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:47:28 AM

ether is just a toy for big sharks. stay away Smiley

That made me laugh, I don't know did u even do some research about ethereum??
When I first heard about it the first thing what I did was find as much info about it as I could.

And I really think it is going to be something big, not bigger then Bitcoin, but at least a good number 2.
I mean come on Litecoin is almost the same as Bitcoin why would I use Litecoin over Bitcoins..

We needed a good number 2 and Ethereum is here to stay and grow.
Especially since they have good connections to the financial and political world!

Sounds like you are trying to create a problem to justify Ethereum as a solution to the problem.

The problem does not exist. We don't need a "good number 2".

Now if there is an actual problem Ethereum actually solves in a novel way, it may become a "good number 2" but becoming a "good number 2" is not itself a problem.

I flush "good number 2"s down the toilet every day.

Ok, I am not creating a problem, I think Bitcoin is great, But there will always be a new coin that will at least compete with Bitcoin.
I know Ethereum is not here to compete with Bitcoin, they said themselves: We see Bitcoin as the Gold, and Ethereum as Oil.

So I still think ethereum is a good number 2 in the crypto world!

And why don't we need a good number 2?
I mean there will always be a number 2 no matter what, the technology is still pretty new, so there is always room for improvement.
And then why not Ethereum, it bring's a lot of new innovation and, they are very smart bringing this to all the people of the world.

If etherium will be no 2, or even no. 1, time will tell.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
pbleak
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 09:54:52 AM

The analogy with oil is actually rather interesting (albeit gas is the more obvious choice). If Bitcoin is essentially private currency to most users then there may be a need for a commodity that they are more willing to see as something 'put to use.'
Xpedite

Activity: 258

DRAMA: Dumb Retards Asking More Attention

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:45:58 AM

I'm really amazed by all this ETH hype. Just look back a while:
http://coinmarketcap.com/historical/20140309/
See the market cap of aurora here?!
rocketron

Activity: 616
Merit: 300

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 11:57:57 AM

That coin was nothing new really.

The difference in Ethereum is that jts not just a fork of bitcoin but a totally new concept. Its like bitcoin was to all other alt coins as is Ethereum to forks of Ethereum technology.
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 12:27:27 PM

The difference in Ethereum is that jts not just a fork of bitcoin but a totally new concept. Its like bitcoin was to all other alt coins as is Ethereum to forks of Ethereum technology.

Bitcoin solved a problem - a need for de-centralized exchange of value.

What problem does Ethereum solve?

As far as decentralized distributed computing goes, there really isn't a need like there was with value.

The purpose it seems to be serving now is speculation and not function. Bitcoin is currently used to exchange value, is ethereum being used for distributed computing? By whom? Will it ever be used for that?

The only way it ever would be used for distributed computing is if it is so cheap that it is worthless for speculation because non-decentralized distributed computing power (e.g. Amazon cloud) is cheap.

I feel sorry for the speculators, I don't see how Ethereum ever can do what it is suppose to do if it gains value. It has to lose value or it is useless.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
CCV.IO

Activity: 54

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 12:28:49 PM

I'm really amazed by all this ETH hype. Just look back a while:
http://coinmarketcap.com/historical/20140309/
See the market cap of aurora here?!

Good old times...  Wink
CCV.IO

Activity: 54

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 12:41:18 PM

As far as decentralized distributed computing goes, there really isn't a need like there was with value.

The purpose it seems to be serving now is speculation and not function. Bitcoin is currently used to exchange value, is ethereum being used for distributed computing? By whom? Will it ever be used for that?

The only way it ever would be used for distributed computing is if it is so cheap that it is worthless for speculation because non-decentralized distributed computing power (e.g. Amazon cloud) is cheap.

I feel sorry for the speculators, I don't see how Ethereum ever can do what it is suppose to do if it gains value. It has to lose value or it is useless.

You got a point mate.... Right now there is little if not no valuable dapps out there. However, Ethereum is providing the clean sheet that BTC has been unable to deliver so far.

Ethereum is bringing the blockchain technology to the doors of Wall Street and rest of the banking and financial industry, a thing that BTC has failed so far.

If real life dapps will then be built & deployed? Only the future will tell. In the meantime, enjoy the ride while it lasts  Wink
sanadas

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 12:51:57 PM

You got a point mate.... Right now there is little if not no valuable dapps out there. However, Ethereum is providing the clean sheet that BTC has been unable to deliver so far.

Ethereum is bringing the blockchain technology to the doors of Wall Street and rest of the banking and financial industry, a thing that BTC has failed so far.

If real life dapps will then be built & deployed? Only the future will tell. In the meantime, enjoy the ride while it lasts  Wink

The first application will be Augur, it is the first big crowd sale of the DApp based on Ethereum. If it is successful, it will be a big boost.

AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2016, 12:59:07 PM

The first application will be Augur, it is the first big crowd sale of the DApp based on Ethereum. If it is successful, it will be a big boost.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/augur-creates-first-contract-with-ethereum

um, a gambling application? Seriously?

Probably won't even be legal to use in the United States.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
greghansel89

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2016, 01:06:52 PM

I wont be moving some of my bitcoin to eth as some people say that eth is a failed crypto from the start.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 118 »
  Print  

Jump to: