Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:55:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 178 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Qora | POS | Assets | Names | Polls | Automated Transactions | Social Network  (Read 249386 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 03:48:19 AM

It might take a lawyer of someone experienced in intellectual property rights to say for sure. But here is what I suspect: Qora devs sign the Azure contract. After several months of development under the Azure veil, MS can claim that the "new" Qora is significantly different from the "old" Qora, which was MIT licensed. And as such, they now have legal dominion over the "new" Qora.

If a company takes something that exists in the wild, like a fork, say, something very common, and enhances it with some new design that significantly improves on the old design, then they can apply for protection (a copyright or patent) for their enhancements to the original, public design.

I admit that I am not an expert in these matters. I am simply trying to contribute a healthy dose of suspicion to this opportunity.

I appreciate healthy doses of skepticism, but don't you think if this were the case that out of ETH, XMR, and the myriad of other coins signed up for blockchain-as-a-service one of them might have had a lawyer take a look at what they signed up for? Here is fluffypony's description of what is required to get on azure:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4bs33o/monero_added_to_microsoft_azure_blockchain_as_a/d1c92rk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2016, 03:49:46 AM

But I don't know how to contact you,  I am in slack, my name is soliury

Please contact @vbcs to work out where we can meet (most likely either at CIYAM's slack or via group Skype IM).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2016, 03:53:28 AM

I have a question regarding the Clone you were proposing (based on the new CIYAM blockchain)...

You mentioned that it won't be a coin, but it will involve Qora holders.  Could you elaborate on  how it will work?   Smiley

The CIYAM blockchain itself is not a coin at all, however, this potential clone may end up being one (in which case it will need to have its own separate "brand").

The key difference in approach with the CIYAM blockchain is that POW is used for account creation and verification (this also prevents Sybil attacks).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
sparta_cuss

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 04:05:05 AM

It might take a lawyer of someone experienced in intellectual property rights to say for sure. But here is what I suspect: Qora devs...

I admit that I am not an expert in these matters. I am simply trying to contribute a healthy dose of suspicion to this opportunity.

I appreciate healthy doses of skepticism, but don't you think if this were the case that out of ETH, XMR, and the myriad of other coins signed up for blockchain-as-a-service one of them might have had a lawyer take a look at what they signed up for? Here is fluffypony's description of what is required to get on azure:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkFlarb/comments/4bs33o/monero_added_to_microsoft_azure_blockchain_as_a/d1c92rk

(That Reddit link did not work for me.)

Yes, they likely did. Athereum certainly has the money. So I can't say why they would sign something that, on the face of it, appears to forfeit their rights to use (in their own way) the very thing they are creating. So maybe someone with legal experience should be consulted, and I can stop making guesses.

Edit: I tried to correct the spelling of "Ethereum" three times, and it keeps putting the "A" back in.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." - E.M. Forster
NXT: NXT-Z24T-YU6D-688W-EARDT
BTC: 19ULeXarogu2rT4dhJN9vhztaorqDC3U7s
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 04:19:34 AM

It might take a lawyer of someone experienced in intellectual property rights to say for sure. But here is what I suspect: Qora devs...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkFlarb/comments/4bs33o/monero_added_to_microsoft_azure_blockchain_as_a/d1c92rk

(That Reddit link did not work for me.)

Yes, they likely did. Athereum certainly has the money. So I can't say why they would sign something that, on the face of it, appears to forfeit their rights to use (in their own way) the very thing they are creating. So maybe someone with legal experience should be consulted, and I can stop making guesses.

Edit: I tried to correct the spelling of "Athereum" three times, and it keeps putting the "A" back in.

I think it's an april fool's thing, both athereum and reddit link not working (because monero in the link is replaced with 'darkflarb').
Skerberus

Activity: 909
Merit: 663

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 05:27:19 AM

But I don't know how to contact you,  I am in slack, my name is soliury

I don't see you in slack too often.  What channel are you usually in? Are you in marketing channel as well (it's locked & protected).

BTW, are you working on the new user interface for Qora main wallet as well?  http://qora.co.in:9090/webwallet  <--- Is this your work?

If not, could you help out?  I love the icons you designed.. they are very sleek.  Wink

The http://qora.co.in:9090/webwallet website and the http://qora.co.in:9090/registername website were created by me.
My current standpoint regarding azure is also against it (which of course can change), but of course I will respect community decision.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2016, 06:32:22 AM

Impressive!

Qora just moved up to the 3rd coin in trading volume on PoloniEx  Smiley

And what I didn't realize until today: all previous Qora topics together, we already have 695 pages!
wosch76
Legendary

Activity: 942
Merit: 1026

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 07:50:39 AM

Impressive!

Qora just moved up to the 3rd coin in trading volume on PoloniEx  Smiley

And what I didn't realize until today: all previous Qora topics together, we already have 695 pages!
yes, that's awesome.

I hope CMC will update the link to the actual thread, so newbies didn't get confused.
I just asked them to do so.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
GoldenKnight369

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 08:09:38 AM

The http://qora.co.in:9090/webwallet website and the http://qora.co.in:9090/registername website were created by me.
My current standpoint regarding azure is also against it (which of course can change), but of course I will respect community decision.

Sorry! I forgot you were the one doing the Qora web wallet. My apology!  Tongue  Great work with the web wallet, by the way.

Skerberus, I've been talking to some of the Qora members in private, and I think we're kind of split on this.  Some people really want Microsoft Azure BaaS.  After hearing two sides' opinions, I am kind of undecided at this point.  I feel both sides have their merits.

Also, ask yourself this question: If it's so bad, why would coins like Athereum, Rapple, Factom.. etc signed up for it???  Weren't they be worried about giving their proprietary software away to Microsoft?  Roll Eyes Huh Huh Do you see what I'm getting at?  Obviously they aren't overtly concerned, so maybe the advantages outweighs the disadvantages.

I feel we need to let the qora community vote on it because it affects the investors' interest.  Would you do the honor and create a poll on the Qora client?

Let's vote on it and see where we stand!  Grin

loopt

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 12:36:25 PM

Hi !

I'm new to qora.
I downloaded the windows client today and launched it however I cant seem to fully synchronize it.
It seems to hang half way through each time I try to launch it.
First time it stopped at 49% now it just stopped at 23 % with no further movement.

What can I do ?

On another subject, I am a web developper with decent experience in Java javascript and various related techs.
Is there something the qora project needs help with that I could participate in ?

Cheers
bitme

Activity: 317
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 01:10:46 PM

Are private keys (seeds) that were created using first version of qora from 2014 still valid? I wonder if it's worth looking for it.

NXT makes the Difference
My nxtforum account : bitme
Breasal

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 02:37:46 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2016, 02:57:23 PM by Breasal

Let's do a vote and see where we stand in regard to the Azure issue, shall we?  Smiley

I created the poll: "  do you want qora to join microsoft azure baas?"

Gotta love this feature on Qora (even though the rich speak louder than the poor) Smiley Let's see what the community decides.

http://qora.co.in:9090/index/blockexplorer.html?poll=%20do%20you%20want%20qora%20to%20join%20microsoft%20azure%20baas%3F
Breasal

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 02:47:32 PM

Hi !

I'm new to qora.
I downloaded the windows client today and launched it however I cant seem to fully synchronize it.
First time it stopped at 49% now it just stopped at 23 % with no further movement.

What can I do ?

On another subject, I am a web developper with decent experience in Java javascript and various related techs.
Is there something the qora project needs help with that I could participate in ?

Cheers

Welcome to the project. I think you are joining at a great time - please talk to 'agran' or 'skerberus' who are part of the core dev team. Great to have you on board!  edit - there is also a slack channel where the devs can be found: http://slack.qora.co.in/

Regarding the wallet: I like to download and use the most recent data folder here for quick install: http://qora.co.in/?datafolder. Delete the current data folder and wallet from the main qora folder and try to launch again with the dowloaded data folder. You will need to enter your seed and password again. Let us know how it goes.  Smiley
xyz

Activity: 1848
Merit: 772

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 02:49:49 PM

I am not sure what is the best for Qora - with or without Azure...
But we should think about CIYAMs posting! His opinion is very important for Qora!

Giving up rights to the software is a very bad idea and it would likely mean that the plans for the CIYAM Developers to create a clone of Qora would have to be scrapped.

That being said it is up to the Qora community and developers to decide their future direction (so for now I will simply watch and see what unfolds).

Note that if the CIYAM Developers do end up creating a clone we would very much desire the assistance of the existing Qora developers and community (if there is no such support then it would be less likely to be worth the effort).

And what is the Qora team's opinion?

Es sind die glücklichen Sklaven der Freiheit größter Feind...
(Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben, 1798-1874)
Breasal

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 02:50:05 PM

Are private keys (seeds) that were created using first version of qora from 2014 still valid? I wonder if it's worth looking for it.

Seeds are still valid but you will need the cooresponding password. Were you part of the genesis? Who knows, you my have a nice score given the increase in price?  Shocked Grin
Breasal

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 02:52:21 PM

I am not sure what is the best for Qora - with or without Azure...
But we should think about CIYAMs posting! His opinion is very important for Qora!

Agree 100% this is a very good point.
javargas

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 02:54:54 PM

Hi !

I'm new to qora.

What can I do ?

Cheers

I have same issue with windows client, synchronization highest level reached 47%. I have installed Windows 10.. Help!!!
Skerberus

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 03:04:21 PM

Seeds are still valid but you will need the cooresponding password. Were you part of the genesis? Who knows, you my have a nice score given the increase in price?  Shocked Grin

You only need the seed! The password is only for local encryption, and yes the seeds from 2014 are still valid.
FJBourne

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 03:04:26 PM

I also cannot run the windows wallet on windows 10. I get the qora banner popup and then it crashes. Any ideas?

BTE- 8UvdysHU3HugiAGSWDn9hTvEbCe1kJmkZ5
Skerberus

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 03:05:05 PM

Hi !

I'm new to qora.

What can I do ?

Cheers

I have same issue with windows client, synchronization highest level reached 47%. I have installed Windows 10.. Help!!!

As a quick fix you can download the datafolder here http://qora.co.in/?datafolder
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 178 »
  Print  

Jump to: