Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:39:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum  (Read 69322 times)
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 01:49:36 AM

I would say there's almost no way a single Jalapeno will consume 30W. Your logic is pretty sound that you would expect MH/J for all three SC products to be about the same. If the Jalapeno consumed even 10W, it would imply that the single will consume around 100W, while the minirig would consume almost 3000W. I know that BFL has claimed that the SC is a heat resistant chip, but I would shudder to think of the noise/temperatures you would see in the existing Minirig case if they were dissipating 3000W.

Ah, fair enough.  So aside from the challenge of providing one big rig with 3KW of power on it's own line that anyone outside of a business wouldn't have (and probably rightfully so given the cost), do you think that the Jalapeno would be using far less than even 10W?  

If it was 5 watts, that's put a big rig at roughly 1,500 watts which would sound perfect for the traditional 15A breaker here in the US, let alone elsewhere, if you leave a safety factor in place.  

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:10:09 AM

Alrighty! So the myth of the USB Powered 1gh/s rig is busted.
THANKCRAP! Now i dont need to worry So Hard about GPU mining becoming unprofitable

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
BFL

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 04:03:30 AM

The Jalapeno is indeed USB powered.  The alternate plug-in refered to by the CSR is the option of an alternate source of power for the heat plate.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
btharper

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:07:51 AM

The Jalapeno is indeed USB powered.  The alternate plug-in refered to by the CSR is the option of an alternate source of power for the heat plate.

Just to be clear. If we want the plate hot, that's the only reason to use the external power source? If we just want it to hash really fast we can just plug it in with ONE USB2 cord?
BFL

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 04:42:30 AM

Just to be clear. If we want the plate hot, that's the only reason to use the external power source? If we just want it to hash really fast we can just plug it in with ONE USB2 cord?

The question you're really asking is exactly what is the power draw of the Jalapeno.  This is something we've decided to refrain from publishing until we've comfortably completed our live tests.  Til then, you can expect that it's USB powered for the purposes of hashing and may or may not also include a wall plug for extra hot plate performance.

The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:54:02 AM

Thanks for the insight on that.  I can understand not wanting to give false estimates until you can thoroughly test your products. 

Sorry for any confusion I had added to my posts.  I had just wanted to communicate the information along since people are curious about these devices and it would seem that (perhaps in the past) that BFL was hard to get ahold of.

I know the CSRs I've been emailing have been incredibly helpful and relatively prompt (one day or less) on their response time.  Thank you for that!

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:55:19 AM

Everything on track for October?

dip
BFL

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 05:03:42 AM

Thanks for the insight on that.  I can understand not wanting to give false estimates until you can thoroughly test your products. 

Sorry for any confusion I had added to my posts.  I had just wanted to communicate the information along since people are curious about these devices and it would seem that (perhaps in the past) that BFL was hard to get ahold of.

I know the CSRs I've been emailing have been incredibly helpful and relatively prompt (one day or less) on their response time.  Thank you for that!

We've only just now caught up with the back log of email inquiry that followed our ASIC announcements.  I think you'll find response time to be excellent from here on out unless there's a singular event that causes everyone to write in simultaneously all over again.  Even in that event, our capacity to respond in good time has been significantly upgraded.

BFL

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 05:05:30 AM

We're currently on schedule for having production chips in hand come October.  This may change, but so far we're looking good.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:14:02 AM

We're currently on schedule for having production chips in hand come October.  This may change, but so far we're looking good.
If you think things are on track for you to have production chips in hand for October, what does that mean for the timeline for customers having products in their hands?
psilan

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:19:40 AM

Awesome, good luck. Smiley

dip
BFL

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 05:20:55 AM

If you think things are on track for you to have production chips in hand for October, what does that mean for the timeline for customers having products in their hands?

It depends on where you are in the order queue of course, but the first group to be released will be the total that can be packaged and prepared as we approach the turn of the month.

psilan

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:22:29 AM

Any number estimates you can pull out of thin air? :>

dip
btharper

Activity: 389

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:47:04 AM

The question you're really asking is exactly what is the power draw of the Jalapeno.  This is something we've decided to refrain from publishing until we've comfortably completed our live tests.  Til then, you can expect that it's USB powered for the purposes of hashing and may or may not also include a wall plug for extra hot plate performance.

I think that answers my question in that you are waiting for live tests but USB alone may be all that's required for normal hashing use. I don't personally care at all if it's hot, that seems like a disadvantage if anything.

Please do share whatever you know though, any updates you can provide (even if there's a level of uncertainty) is great.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:37:49 PM

My goodness they are vague. A hot plate... sigh... really? That was the best idea. Anyway.

If I was ordering ASICs I would expect they would be produced and then goto another factory
to actually be put on a board with all the other electronics. Then it would hit the next step in
the process of putting the board in a container of some type. Finally it could be tested and packaged.
Naturally you would do a lot more testing then I have mentioned before the container step.

So having production chips in Oct means a totally different thing to me then having those
chips actually on a board that can use them. Ditto the software ready to use it properly.

Of course being vague by saying you will have the "chips" in Oct will just raise more questions
then it answers.
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 02:39:48 PM

Seems like they'll be testing starting in October. Smiley ETA of 2013 after the end of the world on the 21st ? Cheesy

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:43:21 PM

Seems like they'll be testing starting in October. Smiley ETA of 2013 after the end of the world on the 21st ? Cheesy

No, the Mayans saw the reward halving of Bitcoin as the end of the world!! Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 05:45:52 PM

Oh good call.... It's all falling in to place now....

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:25:27 AM

No, the Mayans saw the reward halving of Bitcoin as the end of the world!! Grin

Grin  Shocked  Grin  Shocked  Grin  Shocked  Grin  Shocked  Grin  Shocked  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 02:23:20 PM

Alrighty! So the myth of the USB Powered 1gh/s rig is busted.
THANKCRAP! Now i dont need to worry So Hard about GPU mining becoming unprofitable

The Jalapeno is indeed USB powered.  The alternate plug-in refered to by the CSR is the option of an alternate source of power for the heat plate.

DAAAAAMNNNNNIITTTTTTTT

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 137 »
  Print  

Jump to: