Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:54:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 489 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [ETC] Ethereum Classic: Immutable Smart Contracts  (Read 821055 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (1 post by 1+ user deleted.)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 12:26:32 AM

@iCEBREAKER if we consider a hybrid algo we can attract more people and be more inclusive.

A hybrid algo is a compromise which may alienate as many (or more) people than it attracts.

And it's scope creep, especially if we don't use an existing off-the-shelf schema.

Let's not (yet) go in search of wheels to reinvent before we even know what ETH is doing (and when).

Hybrids are not new.  I started my crypto interests mining Novacoin which is a hybrid which seems to work well.  You can mine it and you can stake it.  It is a very attractive feature and provides stability to the coin with the staking factor and it is attractive to those of us who want to mine and earn that way.  So this wouldn't be anything new. 

Of course the devil is in the details, but it clearly has been done and works.  I personally find this would be a very nice option to have the benefits of both worlds.

Because NVC "clearly has been done" it means Charlie Hos's new thingy will work?  LOL, no.

The particular hybrid under development for possible use in ETC is new.

Hybrids in general are not new, but nobody has proposed copying Novacoin so IDK why you'd bring it up to sell us on something different.

The hybrid vs pure PoW issue is contentious, and we're under a time constraint thanks to the diff bomb.

3 devs are barely enough to lead a search for a viable (ie fairly bulletproof) hybrid model.

It sounds like that work is mostly finished, so the next question is "are 3 devs enough to bridge the the codebase and protocol schisms entailed by using a different hash function than ETH?"

I don't think so, but we may be forced find out the hard way.

Until then, the default position seems to be defusing the bomb and staying with PoW.  That at least keeps the miners on our side.

Sorry greenie, but ETC isn't being created as some kind of home business/income supplementation opportunity for old people.

It's irresponsible to gamble on such a risky experiment, especially when on a limited income towards the end of life.

Gambling (with money owed to your power company) is how you wind up old and broke, not the solution to that problematic situation.

The proposed hybrid is a feature, and we are obligated to fight features (not rush to embrace them with dollar signs in our eyes).

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
frostminer

Activity: 742
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 12:28:02 AM

Here is my humble opinion Smiley

• PoS enrich the big accounts only....
  • PoW will become unsustainable...

I would love to see a new kind of "PoW" limited to CPU only, where everyone (no exception) could donate the spare processing power of their computers and equally contribute to the growth of ETC.

This new type of "PoW" would truly make ETC a fair & decentralized blockchain... No more monster miners ranking all the fees.

No matter how you twist and turn it ... the ones with most resources will always dominate mining.

If gpu mining is great, they will get 200 gpus... or 200 cpus.. or 200 asics.. or whatever.

BitBanksy

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 12:28:38 AM

I would love to see a new kind of PoW limited to CPU only so that everyone (no exception) could contribute to the growth of ETC.

CPU mining usually means botnets and it is rarely if ever feasible for the little guy.

Perhaps a mixture of both CPU & GPU, like BOINC (compute for good).

As for the botnets' risk, I would rather prefer to see some sneaky one running 2 dozen computers instead of few centralised monster miners ranking all the fees.
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1075

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 12:32:51 AM

Well, and eth still finish?
No, and with big security fail.
Now, devs working on etc to make a safe blockchain.
And eth unfinish too, forked, with hater users like u.
Your missing the point...this coin called etc is incomplete...so its is far from classic!

Technically Bitcoin is a fork and Bitcoin Cash is the original blockchain.When the hard fork occurred, people had access to the same amount of coins on Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.- NIST
MalReynolds
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 12:33:08 AM

News out about the recent Mist client mods to support ETC.  Looks like we are getting scammed.  Or at least skimmed.

http://themerkle.com/mist-developers-deliberately-use-shapeshift-affiliate-link-for-etc-transactions/
ShooterXD

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 12:45:44 AM

Unfinished coin pumping
Finished forked coin dumping

Omg, this investors...
Lol

MalReynolds
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 12:49:14 AM

Your missing the point...this coin called etc is incomplete...so its is far from classic!

From a technical standpoint, the coin called ETC is as "complete" as the coin called ETH - they are literally identical at this moment in how they are pushing around their 1s and 0s in cyberspace.  

Thus any differences in perceived value between them are due to the community that surrounds them.  So it's the community around ETC is incomplete, not the coin.

The ETC community has existed for two weeks instead of two years like the ETH group.

The key metric is that the ETC community, existing only 2% as long as ETH community, is being valued by the market as having 20% of the value of the ETH community.

So...if 2 weeks = 20% equality market value... at this rate parity at 100% will occur in eight more weeks by early October.

Tongue

From March 9: "The Ethereum developers have made available the first python based proof of concept (simulation) release of Serenity, the version of the Ethereum protocol designed to move from consensus through proof-of-work to proof-of-stake.  Called Serenity PoC2 (which contains the Casper economic consensus protocol)  is now available on Github and continues to be not a testnet-ready or production-ready client, according to Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Butterin."

Tongue
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 12:51:37 AM

Unfinished unforked immutable coin pumping
Finished bailout-forked coin dumping

ETH finished Caspar PoS?

Oh wait, no they didn't.

If they had, ETC could simply copy it.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
ShooterXD

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 12:53:53 AM

From a technical standpoint, the coin called ETC is as "complete" as the coin called ETH - they are literally identical at this moment in how they are pushing around their 1s and 0s in cyberspace.  

Thus any differences in perceived value between them are due to the community that surrounds them.  So it's the community around ETC is incomplete, not the coin.

The ETC community has existed for two weeks instead of two years like the ETH group.

The key metric is that the ETC community, existing only 2% as long as ETH community, is being valued by the market as having 20% of the value of the ETH community.

So...if 2 weeks =20% equality market value... at this rate parity at 100% will occur in eight more weeks by early October.

Tongue

From March 9: "The Ethereum developers have made available the first python based proof of concept (simulation) release of Serenity, the version of the Ethereum protocol designed to move from consensus through proof-of-work to proof-of-stake.  Called Serenity PoC2 (which contains the Casper economic consensus protocol)  is now available on Github and continues to be not a testnet-ready or production-ready client, according to Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Butterin."

Tongue

Flawless victory!
Etc 1 x 0 fud

Now let pump etc! And short eth.

barabbas
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 01:00:53 AM

So...if 2 weeks =20% equality market value... at this rate parity at 100% will occur in eight more weeks by early October.

Tongue

If  what some ETC claim is true, that ETH hackers stole the DAO 7+ million ETC, isn't that playing straight to their hands? I mean they will want to realize those $18 million, right?

Tongue

Flawless victory!
Etc 1 x 0 fud

barabbas
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 01:02:26 AM

Tongue

If  what some ETC claim is true, that ETH hackers stole the DAO 7+ million ETC, isn't that playing straight to their hands? I mean they will want to realize those $18 million, right?

Tongue

Flawless victory!
Etc 1 x 0 fud

If  what some ETC claim is true, that ETH hackers stole the DAO 7+ million ETC, isn't that playing straight to their hands? I mean they will want to realize those $18 million, right?

And how do you short ETH, by the way?
ShooterXD

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 01:06:27 AM

Click on margin trade, select eth, and open a short margin.
Thats simple

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1441

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 01:35:44 AM

Bitpop, there is an unmoderated ETC thread open. Will you continue with this thread or will you lock it in the near future? Maybe it is good to try the unmoderated thread for now and just reopen this thread when things get messy there. What do you think?

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
frostminer

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 01:37:42 AM

Bitpop, there is an unmoderated ETC thread open. Will you continue with this thread or will you lock it in the near future? Maybe it is good to try the unmoderated thread for now and just reopen this thread when things get messy there. What do you think?

The heavy censoring of this thread has already done its damage.

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 01:56:28 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGW9ozE-ys

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 02:06:07 AM

I would love to see a new kind of PoW limited to CPU only so that everyone (no exception) could contribute to the growth of ETC.

CPU mining usually means botnets and it is rarely if ever feasible for the little guy.

Perhaps a mixture of both CPU & GPU, like BOINC (compute for good).

As for the botnets' risk, I would rather prefer to see some sneaky one running 2 dozen computers instead of few centralised monster miners ranking all the fees.

I think you're grossly underestimating botnets, but even assuming they're not a big risk - a decent mining CPU costs more than a decent mining GPU (~$100 gets you a used 280x, quite good for dagger) so the barrier of entry is actually lower with GPUs. And no, you won't make much with a single GPU but even less so with an old laptop or a tablet or some other comparably-priced device. Also GPUs can mine many different algos/coins (even dual-mine, e.g. Claymore) and generally have been quite consistently - albeit sometimes only marginally - profitable for the last 2+ years after The Great Scrypt Bubble of early 2014.

tl;dr: I have no idea why I'm arguing as I'm not even mining ETH/ETC now but I think dagger is the way to go for the time being.
MalReynolds
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 02:17:41 AM

What's the link to the thread you are referencing?

BTW, much respect to BBC.  I watch World News daily, also Click and The Travel Show.
greenuser

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Marie Curie, 2 x Nobel Prizes Physics & Chemistry

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 03:23:33 AM

The BBC are not popular in the UK at the mo.  Anyhow,

I mine some Groestlcoin on my rig/server.  They claim that their coin is just as efficient to mine with CPU as with GPU.   
This old server here has a 2kw PSU.  It has 4 GPUs hooked up on risers,  the server PSU also feeds 2 scrypt ASICs.  With a geth node running as well  I  use affinity settings to throttle processing to only 3 cores of the CPU.  The remaining 5 CPU cores are dedicated to Groestlcoin mining.  The server also has 8 hard drive slots.  I am in the process of adding Burstcoin HHD (PoC) mining as well, but I need down time to move my OS from RAID5 striping over 3HHDs, to just one HHD volume.  I can then use 7 HHDs to mine Burst.  So I get to squeeze every last little drop of resource from this old beast.   The coin that could realise an algo that would work across all these resources would be very interesting.  Smiley

frostminer

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 03:34:28 AM

BTW, much respect to BBC.  I watch World News daily, also Click and The Travel Show.

Its been posted many times, but he deletes it.

Just search for "ETC unmoderated"

Thread is named:
[ANN] [ETC] Ethereum Classic - Immutable Smart Contracts (unmoderated)

Hope you got to read this before Kim Jung Bitpop muted it.

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2016, 03:46:49 AM

BTW, much respect to BBC.  I watch World News daily, also Click and The Travel Show.

Its been posted many times, but he deletes it.

Just search for "ETC unmoderated"

Thread is named:
[ANN] [ETC] Ethereum Classic - Immutable Smart Contracts (unmoderated)

Hope you got to read this before Kim Jung Bitpop muted it.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1567565.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1569457.0

I'm fully transparent man

Pages: « 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 489 »
  Print  

Jump to: