Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:25:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 [505] 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049438 times)
cognoscente

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:22:49 PM

Gee, Wally.... Maybe we can find 5 volts somewhere on the PC power supply that we've already paid for.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:24:33 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 05:07:25 PM by FeedbackLoop

For bitbet, does it count if shipped starts at the end of September or does it have to be delivered to your door? Also, hosting.

I think it's possible that KNC will start shipping at the end of September, thus the actual rigs arriving early October.

Well, for my part I will post pics of my jupiter hashing at a (temporary) private place the same day they start shipping (Day 1 pickup) if they deliver in September (unless they deliver like at midnight the 30th...). So you only need 4 more. I think Orama is also going for a pick up from what I understood from glancing at this (long) thread? And some other guy? We could try to organise something.

vesperwillow

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:24:51 PM

So, there will be PCIE-8 connectors for 12vdc to the main board but does the Beaglebone take 5vdc?  Is there a 12v-5v switching down converter onboard or will the Beaglebone always require a separate 5vdc supply?  I can see how one might first apply the 5vdc, login, configure the miner, then fire up the 12vdc but an onboard converter would preclude two PSUs given the device can already have been configured.

You're questioning whether an engineering team with proven designs is going to forget to put a voltage regulator in place so a daughterboard can handle lower voltages?

Seriously?

The question came to mind seeing the Beaglebone PSU connector.  About your tone....

I wasn't trying to be rude, I just look at it differently. My take is to simplify things, they would have an onboard power source for the BB.

Another valid engineering perspective would be 'to make it less expensively, let's not have an onboard power source for the BB.'

The cost of a DC:DC regulator, especially by the reel, is on the order of pennies, or fractions of a penny depending on what you get. They already said the only power connections to be made will be PCIE. They're going with a KIS method for this. Plugging up an extra power cord adds complexity and time, especially for rig-testing. I'd wager they're willing to spend the .005 cents on the PCB components for onboard power.

It's obvious you have never worked on a design for mass production.  Eliminating a DC-DC regulator and associated circuitry would typically be considered a massive win for manufacturing.

No I haven't worked an electronics assembly line, nor have I managed an electronics-production line, nor have I done large scale electronics design. I have overseen mass distribution though. I have designed circuitry. These guys make it a business to do the same, and from what hints they've dropped, they appear to have gone the route I suspect.

Again as mentioned previously, their profit margin is well over 50%, likely 70% for these units. They're not too worried about their cost. They already have the boards, and are tested. This eliminates production time as a factor for delivery. They stated the only power connections would be PCIE. This hints there will be on board regulation.

So whether I've worked or designed as you propose is moot, especially if my understanding of their hints is correct.

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:29:55 PM

No I haven't worked an electronics assembly line, nor have I managed an electronics-production line, nor have I done large scale electronics design. I have overseen mass distribution though. I have designed circuitry. These guys make it a business to do the same, and from what hints they've dropped, they appear to have gone the route I suspect.

Again as mentioned previously, their profit margin is well over 50%, likely 70% for these units. They're not too worried about their cost. They already have the boards, and are tested. This eliminates production time as a factor for delivery. They stated the only power connections would be PCIE. This hints there will be on board regulation.

So whether I've worked or designed as you propose is moot, especially if my understanding of their hints is correct.

You said:

So, there will be PCIE-8 connectors for 12vdc to the main board but does the Beaglebone take 5vdc?  Is there a 12v-5v switching down converter onboard or will the Beaglebone always require a separate 5vdc supply?  I can see how one might first apply the 5vdc, login, configure the miner, then fire up the 12vdc but an onboard converter would preclude two PSUs given the device can already have been configured.

You're questioning whether an engineering team with proven designs is going to forget to put a voltage regulator in place so a daughterboard can handle lower voltages?

Seriously?

I'm just pointing out that there are two equally valid engineering perspectives here, and KNC could go either way - but your tone in the above quote suggests that there is not.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
vesperwillow

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:32:58 PM

You said:

Seriously?

I'm just pointing out that there are two equally valid engineering perspectives here, and KNC could go either way - but your tone in the above quote suggests that there is not.

The possibility can certainly go either way -- the probability is that they likely have an on board regulator. Perhaps that helps explain my text-based tone better.

If I am wrong, I will certainly tip my hat your way.

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:41:51 PM

You said:

Seriously?

The possibility can certainly go either way -- the probability is that they likely have an on board regulator. Perhaps that helps explain my text-based tone better.

If I am wrong, I will certainly tip my hat your way.

It's not clear to me what you are basing your 'probability' estimate on.  I can't claim to know what KNC will do, but my experience suggests that they would actually be MUCH more likely to go for less cost/complexity vs. adding a 'might be nice' feature.

In either case, you were not justified in addressing Soy's post as if it was ridiculous.  It wasn't. And that was why I replied.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
vesperwillow

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:47:03 PM

It's not clear to me what you are basing your 'probability' estimate on.  I can't claim to know what KNC will do, but my experience suggests that they would actually be MUCH more likely to go for less cost/complexity vs. adding a 'might be nice' feature.

In either case, you were not justified in addressing Soy's post as if it was ridiculous.  It wasn't. And that was why I replied.

I'm basing my probability on what KNC has said:

* PCIE will be the only power connection (12vdc)
* They will be keeping connections to a minimum for simplicity

I addressed Soy that way likely because it seemed like he was concerned they forgot about powering the BB at all. That's the angle I took from it. If I misread it, then that's just egg on my shoe I suppose.

eiliant

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:58:04 PM

Well, for my part I will post pics of my jupiter hashing at a private place the same day they start shipping (Day 1 pickup) if they deliver in September (unless they deliver like at midnight the 30th...). So you only need 4 more. I think Orama is also going for a pick up from what I understood from glancing at this (long) thread? And some other guy? We could try to organise something.

Definitely. I'm hosting so I could ask them for email verification or something? Or a screenshot of it hashing and whatnot
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

LIR DEV

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:59:29 PM

The pci connections are 6 pin, not 8

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
Phoenix1969
Legendary

LIR DEV

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:04:44 PM

The shortcut that they took is that they are trusting the DESIGN.  They didn't waste a couple of months doing a 'test batch' to verify the design.  They never hinted that they were taking any other shortcuts in assembly.  NONE.  Some of us need to check our medication.
never hinted?... "Time to market is everything in this business after all. We have also broken a few speed records in this business to bring a design to market in the fastest time possible."

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
cognoscente

Activity: 111

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:27:00 PM

The shortcut that they took is that they are trusting the DESIGN.  They didn't waste a couple of months doing a 'test batch' to verify the design.  They never hinted that they were taking any other shortcuts in assembly.  NONE.  Some of us need to check our medication.
never hinted?... "Time to market is everything in this business after all. We have also broken a few speed records in this business to bring a design to market in the fastest time possible."
I don't read that as a hint that they are taking shortcuts. 
dextryn

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

I know it's probably too early to tell, but it seems like increase in hashrate since the last difficulty jump has tapered off a little bit.  Anyone else notice that?  
vesperwillow

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:43:31 PM

I know it's probably too early to tell, but it seems like increase in hashrate since the last difficulty jump has tapered off a little bit.  Anyone else notice that?  

Janitor probably ran over a cat5 cable somewhere.

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:56:08 PM

No. Next projected diff increase is +20% already. Bernanke must also be in charge of the hashrate.  

Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:01:34 PM

The growth seems to be accelerating still, if anything:

http://bitcoin.sipa.be/growth.png

A solid 2.5% per day, which is +125% per month.

Perhaps the growth of the growth has tapered off a little but thats a bit meta to me and statistical noise at this point
Phoenix1969
Legendary

LIR DEV

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:12:54 PM

The shortcut that they took is that they are trusting the DESIGN.  They didn't waste a couple of months doing a 'test batch' to verify the design.  They never hinted that they were taking any other shortcuts in assembly.  NONE.  Some of us need to check our medication.
I don't read that as a hint that they are taking shortcuts.  
probably a reading-comprehension thing

here's more...
from openday..."
Marcus: Fabrication and all that, that is done by the fab, so they handle that, that's their business. We provide them with our jailcode, we've written our jailcode in a way that makes the back end design faster, and the fab time faster. There's multiple ways you can do that...if you know what you're doing.

3) Are you doing pre-package wafer test?

Marcus: No.

4) Are you doing post-packaging testing on a real production tester (Teradyne or similar)?

Marcus: No. We...and...and...I..I..I need to say a little bit about why; ah because we will have a self built in test that will automaically test...the...because the chips are so large, so that we can compensate for any losses in the Bitcoin engines. If there are any failing ones then we can compensate for that.
Me: Physically large?

Marcus: The...the die size of the...the?

Me: Yeah

Marcus: The die size will be...very large.

Me: But does that...ummm...

Marcus: That, that means that some of the parts in the ASIC might work and some will not, but we can compensate for that.

Another member: We can compensate for that."

not a hint at all, lol

▀▀███▀
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:16:33 PM

Not much shipping in quantity right this second. BFL's unpredictable trickle, whatever remains of bitfury's August deliveries, plus whatever happens with Avalon chips that actually found their way to buyers. This is likely just a calm before the storm of knc deliveries + bitfury products sold for September/October delivery(chips + rigs).  

dextryn

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:21:46 PM

Perhaps the growth of the growth has tapered off a little but thats a bit meta to me and statistical noise at this point

Yes it is accelerating still, however the growth of the growth seems to have tapered off.  Maybe it's just me hoping and wishing too much.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:51:46 PM

Yes it is accelerating still, however the growth of the growth seems to have tapered off.  Maybe it's just me hoping and wishing too much.

Anything is an acceleration this is still very much the GPU transition. There was supposed to be a 130nm, and 65nm stage, but we all know how that went and who received the lion's share of that (specific companies themselves, delay tactics, lies, etc.). This is about to be the peoples' real ASIC revolution. Viva!

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:00:16 PM

Yes it is accelerating still, however the growth of the growth seems to have tapered off.  Maybe it's just me hoping and wishing too much.

Im sure it would  be a huge relief for miners to learn that it would appear growth of the network may stabilize resulting in an exponential growth some point above  +125%  per month, but below infinity. Because thats all that tapering of the growth of the growth tells you.

Not that you can conclude anything of that sort from a short term highly variable chart in a time that predates all the important asic shipments.
Pages: « 1 ... 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 [505] 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: