Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:57:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 [528] 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:07:46 PM

So yeah, 6 days effectively to produce and send the first 700+ units.

Wrong. Effective days of production begin only AFTER receiving the chips!, they have posted a video of a circuit board without chips because they obviously don't have them yet, rest assured the moment they have them in Sweden you'll see pics/videos.

Untrue. They could do almost every subassembly prior to receiving the chips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cognoscente

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:14:08 PM

Opinions and assholes.   Everyone has one.  Why contract it out, if they felt like taking a break from behind their desks, and doing it themselves?  Does everyone in the fucking world have to try to second guess how they run their operation Huh   Jesus...
A break is in order AFTER they ship the goods.  Who died and left you in charge of policing opinions?  Shocked
blastbob

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:17:10 PM

My big toe tells me that they will assembly over the weekend and deliver day1 and day2 on monday Smiley

Bitrated user: blastbob.
tempestb

Activity: 729

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:21:27 PM

I have a question, and am not trying to be a troll or anything, this is legit as I don't understand it and would like some clarity from someone who does understand it.

When the chip and the circuit board meet, doesn't there need to be some kind of testing to make sure the components are all working properly together?  I know a lot of other companies struggled with this and took awhile to get things done.  That's why folks like Avalon and BFL sent sample chips out so the guys making the boards and everything had time to tweak their designs.  So why does it seem like KNC is just slapping the chip on the board and shipping it out?  Or do they have both the chips and the boards now and are doing the tweaking as we speak?  Does this have something to do with the fact that they took the design from an FPGA and didn't do any work on it, so that they know exactly what they need and it doesn't require tweaking?

Just trying to understand the process and why they can slap everything together in a weekend and be done with it, where others took a lot longer to do (What seems) like the same thing.

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:30:50 PM

I have a question, and am not trying to be a troll or anything, this is legit as I don't understand it and would like some clarity from someone who does understand it.

When the chip and the circuit board meet, doesn't there need to be some kind of testing to make sure the components are all working properly together?  I know a lot of other companies struggled with this and took awhile to get things done.  That's why folks like Avalon and BFL sent sample chips out so the guys making the boards and everything had time to tweak their designs.  So why does it seem like KNC is just slapping the chip on the board and shipping it out?  Or do they have both the chips and the boards now and are doing the tweaking as we speak?  Does this have something to do with the fact that they took the design from an FPGA and didn't do any work on it, so that they know exactly what they need and it doesn't require tweaking?

Just trying to understand the process and why they can slap everything together in a weekend and be done with it, where others took a lot longer to do (What seems) like the same thing.

The answer, my boy, is the famed Swedish engineering, as exacting and precise as the proverbial Swedish watch!

Wait... was it Swedish?  Swiss??

Anyhow, they can make watches everywhere now -- it's no big deal Angry
donch

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Updated ironic image.

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:32:04 PM

Because KNC are professionals and have done this kind of thing before (unlike unnamed others)?

"How are you justifying these as fair use?  They are clearly and unequivocally a copyright violation."
"I really want to know how you justify that under the fair use doctrine?  It does not conform to a single point of fair use."
Josh whining about people reusing his studio portrait shot on this forum. Can you copyright a copyright complaint? All Paypal refunds are final.
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:32:12 PM

Opinions and assholes.   Everyone has one.  Why contract it out, if they felt like taking a break from behind their desks, and doing it themselves?  Does everyone in the fucking world have to try to second guess how they run their operation Huh   Jesus...
A break is in order AFTER they ship the goods.  Who died and left you in charge of policing opinions?  Shocked

Nobody.  The exact same person who died and left you in charge of deciding who should build KNC's data center...
rizzman

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:43:01 PM

So, Bitcoinorama: are you going to be in Stockholm during the weekend? Maybe Monday?

Looks like they're confident enough to ask me to get a flight, so erm i think so. I mean to be fair I was always assuming I would be before, or around this point, but was beginning to question this internally recently myself. This really sounds like it will be down to the absolute wire, if they pull this off.

Just for clarity: they asked you to get a plane ticket - for when? When are you arriving to Stockholm? When will you return home?

I think this info is important in order to know when they expect to have the first units in hand.

From an Operational Security perspective you shouldn't ask him to disclose how / when he is travelling considering some of the nut-jobs on this forum. and the mixed demeanor towards him. Any endeavor where someone else money is on the line it is better to tread cautiously...

Just my two cents / military paranoia kicking in. Food for thought.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:45:19 PM

So, Bitcoinorama: are you going to be in Stockholm during the weekend? Maybe Monday?

Looks like they're confident enough to ask me to get a flight, so erm i think so. I mean to be fair I was always assuming I would be before, or around this point, but was beginning to question this internally recently myself. This really sounds like it will be down to the absolute wire, if they pull this off.

Just for clarity: they asked you to get a plane ticket - for when? When are you arriving to Stockholm? When will you return home?

I think this info is important in order to know when they expect to have the first units in hand.

From an Operational Security perspective you shouldn't ask him to disclose how / when he is travelling considering some of the nut-jobs on this forum. and the mixed demeanor towards him. Any endeavor where someone else money is on the line it is better to tread cautiously...

Just my two cents / military paranoia kicking in. Food for thought.

FWIW blatantly I'm not giving that info out. You want hashing vids, and a write-up from the wee hours, happy to oblige. But other Day oners should be making themselves known if they can pick up in Stockholm at a moments notice, inc. Mon PM if needs be.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:50:10 PM

I don't recall exactly what interface KnC using.  I wonder if the ball grid array in general was preferred over pins for the cost benefit or if it had to do with switching speed and spurious signal transmission in the radio frequency range.  But, BGA seems to have a higher failure rate than a pin/socket arrangement I think.  I'm not well versed in these matters so this is just speculation.
rizzman

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:58:37 PM

They said, or rather Sam has said, can I make the weekend, this one?

A quick question: How do you plan on getting that miner back to the UK?
I'm asking because I've paid over 240USD for delivery and I'd rather get a ticket and bring them back myself, but I don't think they will survive in the checked in luggage and will not fit in the carry on luggage.

Lol when I first inquired months back, Sam said it would fit in hand luggage. that beast does not meet any hand luggage requirements I know of, but I reckon a clean swipe could take out one of Ryanair's boarding trolls. It may have to be checked in, in a bag with a lot of socks. This is another dilema. Train would take to long, but don't those now have elec outlets and free wifi??

Anyone know how X-rays affect SSD's? (assuming the OS will be written to SSD) since the thing will probably have to go through security's X-ray
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:01:23 PM

I'm asking because I've paid over 240USD for delivery and I'd rather get a ticket and bring them back myself, but I don't think they will survive in the checked in luggage and will not fit in the carry on luggage.

Lol when I first inquired months back, Sam said it would fit in hand luggage. that beast does not meet any hand luggage requirements I know of, but I reckon a clean swipe could take out one of Ryanair's boarding trolls. It may have to be checked in, in a bag with a lot of socks. This is another dilema. Train would take to long, but don't those now have elec outlets and free wifi??

Anyone know how X-rays affect SSD's? (assuming the OS will be written to SSD) since the thing will probably have to go through security's X-ray

It has no effect.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:05:41 PM

I've already paid 240USD for shipping, but I'm looking at ways to improve my ROI, so saving on delivery is one of them + maybe safer and quicker + I get to see Stockholm (again).

Is your $240 for both miners? or each? and how did you choose the express method?

My shipping to canada is $136.80 per miner and I never had an option to choose any method.  It just says UPS ZONE 7.

And as far as I know according to the UPS zone chart, UPS ZONE 7 = importing from the United States, so I don't know what that's about.

$120.40 per Miner and no options to select. Carl told me over the phone it is UPS Express Saver.
Seems a bit expensive for delivery to UK, when you pay $136 to get it to Canada.
I'm UPS Zone 3.

I use UPS all the time. $120.40 for UPS Express Saver from Sweden to UK for something of that weight is not expensive at all, in fact is pretty much OK.

Then the guy from Canada should thank KNC for offering such a discounted price on delivery Smiley

What could be a disguting surprise is the custom fees that may apply if it is concidered as import from USA !!
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:08:09 PM

I've already paid 240USD for shipping, but I'm looking at ways to improve my ROI, so saving on delivery is one of them + maybe safer and quicker + I get to see Stockholm (again).

Is your $240 for both miners? or each? and how did you choose the express method?

My shipping to canada is $136.80 per miner and I never had an option to choose any method.  It just says UPS ZONE 7.

And as far as I know according to the UPS zone chart, UPS ZONE 7 = importing from the United States, so I don't know what that's about.

$120.40 per Miner and no options to select. Carl told me over the phone it is UPS Express Saver.
Seems a bit expensive for delivery to UK, when you pay $136 to get it to Canada.
I'm UPS Zone 3.

I use UPS all the time. $120.40 for UPS Express Saver from Sweden to UK for something of that weight is not expensive at all, in fact is pretty much OK.

Then the guy from Canada should thank KNC for offering such a discounted price on delivery Smiley

What could be a disguting surprise is the custom fees that may apply if it is concidered as import from USA !!

It could be worse than that. Look what happened to Bitcentury in Russia:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=226846.msg3220533#msg3220533
The Avenger

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:09:35 PM

Man, I can't wait to see security at Stockholm airport when dozens of casually dressed men turn up with a non-descript piece of electronic equipment in a box they *insist* on taking on-board as hand luggage  Cheesy

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:14:08 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2013, 08:26:52 PM by soy

Early in the BFL ASIC production threads there was speculation about what was causing the high error rate.  Heat causing wrong firing of FETs or impure silicone and heat causing misfiring of FETS was speculated.  Back in the late '70's I read somewhere about IC's failing in space due to radiation causing misfirings and that a special grade IC was then made for high radiation exposure.  If  the miner is scanned by a radiation emitting device it would probably not cause damage as the miner doesn't have power and disallowed states that may be created would likely be cleared later at boot.

If it's a carry on then an X ray I assume.  Baggage within the US sometimes is scanned with a device that bombards with neutrons, counting those in versus those out as explosives absorb neutrons, hence the advice not to put wool clothing in airline baggage as wool absorbs neutrons and gets slightly radioactive after passing thru.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:19:06 PM

IMHO, KNC should be spending more time relaying progress reports from Orsoc, and less time getting blisters assembling a data center that they should have contracted out in the first place.  I feel like a mushroom.

good point..why IT architects/developers/engineers wasting their time/energy during night shifts with drill in hand and posting pics of their blisters/injuries is the great unknown and definitely not professional manner.)
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:33:12 PM

IMHO, KNC should be spending more time relaying progress reports from Orsoc, and less time getting blisters assembling a data center that they should have contracted out in the first place.  I feel like a mushroom.

good point..why IT architects/developers/engineers wasting their time/energy during night shifts with drill in hand and posting pics of their blisters/injuries is the great unknown and definitely not professional manner.)

There are obviously a bunch of people on here that have never been especially creative.   They do it because it's FUN and it's a break from the normal routine.  It shows interest.  It shows creative energy.  One of my favorite things to do in the evenings after working a 10 hour day as a code jockey was hanging / taping / sanding sheetrock.   Because it's physical, it's a break from mental labor, and it's fun as hell to get down and get your hands dirty.

I'm glad that KNC just ignores the naysayers and losers here, and just DOES stuff.  If they listened to 1/2 the armchair jockeys on this forum - it's too hard, it'll take too long, you can't do it that way, it won't work, you shouldn't do this, you shouldn't do that - they wouldn't have even taped out yet.

So many whiney losers on here on here that think they know better than the boys that are actually getting the things done.  Never did, never tried, and never will have shit in their lives, because it's TOO HARD, it won't work, it'll take too long...   All your whining is doing is proving to everyone that you're LOSERS...

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:34:32 PM

Sorry, but what else should they be doing in their spare time? They promised hosting, so they built it themselves by hand with their customer service staff. The majority of ORSoC's engineers aren't there. Do you honestly expect Sam, Andreas, Marcus and Johan to leave the hosting to chance? Fact is they got it done, and proved it. What's more, by the looks of things they had fun. Sweat, injuries, and blisters are a sign of hard work, and prob a means of unwinding. You can't be academic or professional and be seen to enjoy yourself?! I used to do gymnastics whilst studying an engineering degree. Those blisters and wounds are nothing, you want to see how much skin a piece of dowling rod and leather pulls from your hand when combined with a pair of rings or a high bar. I used to look like a lepper, but it sure as hell let me release from the stress of studying and kept me super competitive. The chip delivery is out of their hands, and it looks like they are ready and focused for when the ASICs do arrive.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Dreadmand

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:43:42 PM

Man, I can't wait to see security at Stockholm airport when dozens of casually dressed men turn up with a non-descript piece of electronic equipment in a box they *insist* on taking on-board as hand luggage  Cheesy

lol... They might deny their boarding or worst case confiscate the said equipment for verification.
Pages: « 1 ... 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 [528] 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: