April 28, 2024, 03:08:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 19586 19587 19588 19589 19590 19591 19592 19593 19594 19595 19596 19597 19598 19599 19600 19601 19602 19603 19604 19605 19606 19607 19608 19609 19610 19611 19612 19613 19614 19615 19616 19617 19618 19619 19620 19621 19622 19623 19624 19625 19626 19627 19628 19629 19630 19631 19632 19633 19634 19635 [19636] 19637 19638 19639 19640 19641 19642 19643 19644 19645 19646 19647 19648 19649 19650 19651 19652 19653 19654 19655 19656 19657 19658 19659 19660 19661 19662 19663 19664 19665 19666 19667 19668 19669 19670 19671 19672 19673 19674 19675 19676 19677 19678 19679 19680 19681 19682 19683 19684 19685 19686 ... 33304 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368728 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Jacques_Bittard

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:37:37 AM

The main thing I pointed out with this is that bitcoin doesn't actually offer anything practical for doing business.

... and another one added to the ignore list. Jesus...

At first I read that he put Jesus on the ignore list..
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
olumyd

Activity: 658
Merit: 117

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:39:03 AM

The ugliest truth of bitcoin is that it just isn't useful in any legal fields.

What ? I... just... huh ?

Lol... don't go into a cardiac attack just yet... The guy's got a point, - 'legal'..., there are no current state or federal stamps on BTC codes acknowledging it as a medium of exchange, however, it does suit the masses to do as they please -  freedom of... something.

The main thing I pointed out with this is that bitcoin doesn't actually offer anything practical for doing business. It's not simple, secure, fast or cheap enough to be useful in practical finance. I think that the reason is that being the first, bitcoin is just the most simplistic, general and non-specialized product. New generation of cryptos are built from the ground up to solve specific practical problems and that is why they are a lot more efficient and useful.
Bitcoin was trying hard to define itself as a store of value asset. In my eyes this won't work because an asset, that's value is highly dependent on speculation, will never be a good store of value asset. This would be as moronic as to recommend pink sheets as store of value investments. Store of value needs stability and predictability the most.

I agree it is the first most simplistic, and it's quite hard for it to deviate from its original consensus plan - a store of value, peer-to-peer electronic cash system that has an in-built decentralised transaction history with high-tech-class security. Nothing more should be expected from it, other than for a scaling function to accommodate mainstream usage; because, I think that's the only thing the developers didn't factor in during the early development phase. But for stability and predictability only a centralised system can achieve such regulatory benchmark.
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:42:57 AM
Merited by jojo69 (1)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1066312
Coincidentally pops up to discuss things and matters and to debate ideas and opinions.

Can you both come clean now and present your shitcoin. Is it better than ETH? and NEO? Will it change crypto fundamentally?
Totscha

Activity: 1276
Merit: 622

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:46:03 AM

I agree it would be crazy to spend $5 billion / year to run a payment network used by 5 million users (that number is pretty low IMO). That's just wasteful. And if you think Bitcoin is just that, you've been reading some funny pamphlets.

It is in fact a decentralized peer 2 peer network that enables any 2 parties in the world to exchange value over the internet without the need for trust and a central authority.

Was email better than regular mail back in 1990? You needed a $5000 computer and it still took a long time, while a stamp only cost a few cents. What a waste of money, right?

In my eyes, the problem is exactly that bitcoin isn't nothing but an expensive payment network. It is often called a "cryptocurrency", but in my eyes it is a gimmick of an currency, when it doesn't have an independent mechanism for value stabilization. As long as it has to use fiat to give it value, then fiat will still be the only currency in the pair and bitcoin is just the temporal solution to transfer fiat. That is why, in my technical point of view, it is the same to hope for bitcoin to replace fiat then to hope for your car to fly to the moon. In this reality these things just don't have the needed mechanics for the job..
Don't take me as a pessimist by this. I think that in the future we will have an cryptoasset that is able to break this currency boundary and will be able to actually offer an predictable value without the need for the support of fiat value. Trying to wish bitcoin to do this isn't just constructive use of energy. All these false hopes and illusions will only make a big mess and the people who profit for it aren't exactly the good kind.
I also think that you can't compare the e-mail protocol to bitcoin protocol. One is a communication protocol, you can compare it to IRC if you like. Bitcoin is an financial protocol with a lot more complexities and different rule-sets.

As long as you see it as just a payment network, or a financial protocol you will have trouble seeing it's true potential. It is a protocol that enables digital scarcity in a decentralized manner without the need for trust. It allows for hard promises. After a few blocks a transaction is effectively irreversible. So it has to be extremely expensive to 'overwrite history'. I mean overwhelmingly expensive. It's a feature, not a bug.

Will this scale to the entire population. Of course not! Nobody is saying it will not change and evolve. The current implementation is great for a settlement layer while the LN would be used as a payment network.

We have been running out of IPv4 addresses for the last 30+ years, but things still work. People have been hard at work and incrementally IP was able to handle more and more devices (Address Classes, Classless Inter-Domain Routing, NAT, ...). Wink
olumyd

Activity: 658
Merit: 117

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:52:21 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1066312
Coincidentally pops up to discuss things and matters and to debate ideas and opinions.

Can you both come clean now and present your shitcoin. Is it better than ETH? and NEO? Will it change crypto fundamentally?

Lol... A single coin doesn't have the capacity to change crypto ecosystem, it's more of a r(e)volutionary trend, one crypto will trump the other only to pave way for another to outwit it. The cumulative effect is what we would someday look back and applaud.

It's a system; I don't think it's turnkey yet. I don't represent any shitcoin. I believe in 'the system' that's all. ETH and NEO are great cryptos, but without BTC there would not have been a primer to begin with.
Jacques_Bittard

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:54:14 AM

I agree it is the first most simplistic, and it's quite hard for it to deviate from its original consensus plan - a store of value, peer-to-peer electronic cash system that has an in-built decentralised transaction history with high-tech-class security. Nothing more should be expected from it, other than for a scaling function to accommodate mainstream usage; because, I think that's the only thing the developers didn't factor in during the early development phase. But for stability and predictability only a centralised system can achieve such regulatory benchmark.

I think that the development of bitcoin shows genius in software development, but not so much genius in financial implementation. Bitcoin is innovative and complex in the software perspective, but it is childish and silly in financial perspective. Modern economy needs a lot more then bitcoin is able to offer as an practical tool.
The system will always be centralized around something. The software development of bitcoin is centralized around specific people, and the financial markets of bitcoin are centralized around specific organizations and people. As long as there are people, there will always be natural centralization of systems around people who can do things that most others can't. This is not something that should be fought by itself.
orpington

Activity: 784
Merit: 512

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 10:02:43 AM

I think that the development of bitcoin shows genius in software development, but not so much genius in financial implementation. Bitcoin is innovative and complex in the software perspective, but it is childish and silly in financial perspective. Modern economy needs a lot more then bitcoin is able to offer as an practical tool.
The system will always be centralized around something. The software development of bitcoin is centralized around specific people, and the financial markets of bitcoin are centralized around specific organizations and people. As long as there are people, there will always be natural centralization of systems around people who can do things that most others can't. This is not something that should be fought by itself.

honestly, what the fuck are you going on about anyways, and why?
Jacques_Bittard

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 10:04:11 AM

As long as you see it as just a payment network, or a financial protocol you will have trouble seeing it's true potential. It is a protocol that enables digital scarcity in a decentralized manner without the need for trust. It allows for hard promises. After a few blocks a transaction is effectively irreversible. So it has to be extremely expensive to 'overwrite history'. I mean overwhelmingly expensive. It's a feature, not a bug.

Will this scale to the entire population. Of course not! Nobody is saying it will not change and evolve. The current implementation is great for a settlement layer while the LN would be used as a payment network.

We have been running out of IPv4 addresses for the last 30+ years, but things still work. People have been hard at work and incrementally IP was able to handle more and more devices (Address Classes, Classless Inter-Domain Routing, NAT, ...). Wink

You praise the blockchain technology in general Smiley Bitcoin doesn't equal the blockchain technology. I see that the blockchain technology isn't dependent on bitcoin and bitcoin value isn't guaranteed by the blockchain technology.
I think that you are bringing forward first mover advantage with the e-mail comparison. That the e-mail protocols mostly remained the same and this will probably make bitcoin remain dominant also.
I think e-mail can't be compared because of the simple nature of the problem they were solving. You can't exactly re-invent something as simplistic as a wheel. This new field of cryptos or financial protocols are a lot more complex and can improved a lot by re-inventive improvement. We have seen radical development with new generation cryptos in terms of speed, costs and practical usability. When comparing software, then cryptos could be compared better to the development of operation systems and other systems as complex. Not vintage communication protocols Smiley
babanana

Activity: 120

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 10:05:54 AM

You praise the blockchain technology in general Smiley Bitcoin doesn't equal the blockchain technology. I see that the blockchain technology isn't dependent on bitcoin and bitcoin value isn't guaranteed by the blockchain technology.
I think that you are bringing forward first mover advantage with the e-mail comparison. That the e-mail protocols mostly remained the same and this will probably make bitcoin remain dominant also.
I think e-mail can't be compared because of the simple nature of the problem they were solving. You can't exactly re-invent something as simplistic as a wheel. This new field of cryptos or financial protocols are a lot more complex and can improved a lot by re-inventive improvement. We have seen radical development with new generation cryptos in terms of speed, costs and practical usability.

@Jacques_Bittard  please post your BTC address.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 10:12:47 AM

I think e-mail can't be compared because of the simple nature of the problem they were solving. You can't exactly re-invent something as simplistic as a wheel. This new field of cryptos or financial protocols are a lot more complex and can improved a lot by re-inventive improvement. We have seen radical development with new generation cryptos in terms of speed, costs and practical usability.

@Jacques_Bittard  please post your BTC address.

ha and here i am thinking bitcoin is a peer to peer currency only

been working for about 9 years

biggest transparent peer to peer network in the world - still very functional

and the bitcoin relies upon solved blockchain transactions.

mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 10:17:00 AM

Meanwhile...

go , hope you hit your target
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 10:17:08 AM
Merited by vroom (1), flynn (1)

chart of the day:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/BTCUSD/YkoWT0sN-BTC-weekly-parabolic-channel/
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:19:30 AM

Why do people think you don't reinvent the wheel?

The wheel is reinvented all the time for all sorts of applications.

mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:37:51 AM

Why do people think you don't reinvent the wheel?

The wheel is reinvented all the time for all sorts of applications.

satoshi reinvented the wheel, after banks reinvented the wheel and so on and so on

shall we say its time to move on and re-invent again

it would actually be good to see peer to peer currency succeed first on a truly global scale before i would say the wheel has been reinvented
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 11:52:44 AM

In this reality these things just don't have the needed mechanics for the job..
Don't take me as a pessimist by this. I think that in the future we will have an cryptoasset that is able to break this currency boundary and will be able to actually offer an predictable value without the need for the support of fiat value.

And this so called future cryptoasset would look like what exactly, Mr. Genius?

Put up or shut up. Criticize or create.

All you fkn idiot trolls are the same. You come with heaps of smarmy handwaving and criticism, but offer zero solutions.
soullyG

Activity: 1011
Merit: 721

Decentralize everything

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:00:32 PM

Support at $10k seems to be holding, gonna be an interesting weekend  Grin
Jacques_Bittard

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:05:39 PM

In this reality these things just don't have the needed mechanics for the job..
Don't take me as a pessimist by this. I think that in the future we will have an cryptoasset that is able to break this currency boundary and will be able to actually offer an predictable value without the need for the support of fiat value.

All you fkn idiot trolls are the same. You come with heaps of smarmy handwaving and criticism, but offer zero solutions.

It would look like a crypto asset with a value stabilization mechanism? Smiley
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:09:22 PM
Merited by Icygreen (1)

It would look like a crypto asset with a value stabilization mechanism? Smiley

You already have that, Genius. It's called the fiat monetary system. And it's all digital and all online. Have fun with that.

Now on to /ignore with you
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:17:06 PM

Surprise surprise BTC goes green.  Everything else instantly goes green.
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:19:57 PM

Surprise surprise BTC goes green.  Everything else instantly goes green.

Pegged to btc.
Pages: « 1 ... 19586 19587 19588 19589 19590 19591 19592 19593 19594 19595 19596 19597 19598 19599 19600 19601 19602 19603 19604 19605 19606 19607 19608 19609 19610 19611 19612 19613 19614 19615 19616 19617 19618 19619 19620 19621 19622 19623 19624 19625 19626 19627 19628 19629 19630 19631 19632 19633 19634 19635 [19636] 19637 19638 19639 19640 19641 19642 19643 19644 19645 19646 19647 19648 19649 19650 19651 19652 19653 19654 19655 19656 19657 19658 19659 19660 19661 19662 19663 19664 19665 19666 19667 19668 19669 19670 19671 19672 19673 19674 19675 19676 19677 19678 19679 19680 19681 19682 19683 19684 19685 19686 ... 33304 »
  Print  

Jump to: