Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:18:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435330 times)
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 10:22:54 PM

With all the negativity surrounding Avalon right now, it's gratifying to see so many positive posts on this thread.

I just wanted to add my personal thanks to BKKCoins for all the work he's put into this project. I know it hasn't turned out they way we all wanted thanks to Avalon. But that should in no way lessen the accomplishment of this project. BKKCoins achieved much with very limited resources, and I applaud and thank him for it!

Also, I want to say that watching this thread has created a strong interest in me to explore the world of electronics. I've been inspired by this thread to start learning the basics, and have completed quite a few simple projects over the past few weeks. Thank you for that Smiley

Sometimes we create something that doesn't work out the way we think it would. Maybe (as in this case), the project is overcome by external factors we have no control over. But often something completely unexpected comes from the project. If *I'VE* been inspired by this effort, who know how many others have been as well?

IMO, this project represents so much more than just Bitcoin miners. It represents courage, skill, determination, and community collaboration. I'm thrilled and honored to have been able to witness this amazing feat.

So again, to everyone involved in this effort, I'd like to say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart. It's truly been an honor and a privilege. Smiley

Very well said, and very true!
All that was archieved here will not be forgotten!

Ente

Ditto, trooper!

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
voxelot

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:16:39 PM

With all the negativity surrounding Avalon right now, it's gratifying to see so many positive posts on this thread.

I just wanted to add my personal thanks to BKKCoins for all the work he's put into this project. I know it hasn't turned out they way we all wanted thanks to Avalon. But that should in no way lessen the accomplishment of this project. BKKCoins achieved much with very limited resources, and I applaud and thank him for it!

Also, I want to say that watching this thread has created a strong interest in me to explore the world of electronics. I've been inspired by this thread to start learning the basics, and have completed quite a few simple projects over the past few weeks. Thank you for that Smiley

Sometimes we create something that doesn't work out the way we think it would. Maybe (as in this case), the project is overcome by external factors we have no control over. But often something completely unexpected comes from the project. If *I'VE* been inspired by this effort, who know how many others have been as well?

IMO, this project represents so much more than just Bitcoin miners. It represents courage, skill, determination, and community collaboration. I'm thrilled and honored to have been able to witness this amazing feat.

So again, to everyone involved in this effort, I'd like to say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart. It's truly been an honor and a privilege. Smiley

Bkkcoins and the hard work by everyone will keep getting bumped as proof the bitcoin community is truly alive.

Let's take our refunds.. which by now you kind of view as a savings account that held on to our BTC for us while BTC has gone up in value... to be on the bright side... and get to work on something new!  Well I will still be learning on the Klondikes while you geniuses dev on new tech.

This thread is now the open source school of PCB ASIC dev!

So much respect to all of you!
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 11:42:31 PM

Here,here!!!!!! Excellent post!!!!!!!!Exactly what I was thinking,but not sure how to word it  Roll Eyes

Maybe another chip,from a company that is "honorable",will work with this board design,with minor modifications of course  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:38:49 AM

Yes, he did his best and is just sad that Yifu never full filled his part of the deal. We thank Bkkcoins for all that he has done for this
industry and the community. I am sure he got the skills to do and assemble any asic chips, other than the Avalon Chips, surely they
will be other vendors selling their chips soon.
siran

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 01:54:36 PM

@BkkCoins - what you gonna do with K16? Are you gonna finish this masterpiece or dump it to "for later" shelf. I'm asking because there are a lot of people (incl. myself) who want this device, despite avalon drawbacks. Maybe, just maybe they will send us the frickin chips.

But if you postpone developing of K16, there will be no point to order it from any assembler (in my case Nekonos). Most of people just yelling about refunds etc. In case of many backing off, what will happend with your 'enterprise' (or other involved). Many of you invested alot in it.

Plese, tell us about your plans.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

@BkkCoins - what you gonna do with K16? Are you gonna finish this masterpiece or dump it to "for later" shelf. I'm asking because there are a lot of people (incl. myself) who want this device, despite avalon drawbacks. Maybe, just maybe they will send us the frickin chips.

But if you postpone developing of K16, there will be no point to order it from any assembler (in my case Nekonos). Most of people just yelling about refunds etc. In case of many backing off, what will happend with your 'enterprise' (or other involved). Many of you invested alot in it.

+1!
The problem is, now, that the difficulty-price ratio of the chips has gone bad.
Yifu already semi-announced he'll sell the chips at a discount later.
I guess interest in the Klondike will spike again once the asics are actually shipping at a fraction of the current costs.

Ente
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:00:53 PM

+1!
I guess interest in the Klondike will spike again once the asics are actually shipping at a fraction of the current costs.

Ente

The chips are very power-inefficient,  though.

They'd better sell at a fraction,  very soon.

bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:33:50 PM

+1!

Ente

The chips are very power-inefficient,  though.

They'd better sell at a fraction,  very soon.

They are worth about 10% if delivered and assembled by Oct 1, IMHO.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
hf_developer

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 05:46:36 PM

Yes, he did his best and is just sad that Yifu never full filled his part of the deal. We thank Bkkcoins for all that he has done for this
industry and the community. I am sure he got the skills to do and assemble any asic chips, other than the Avalon Chips, surely they
will be other vendors selling their chips soon.

ASIC that operate at current edge of technology (28nm) may solve the problem. The problem with Avalon was it was outdated before it was delivered. After even ASICs will operate on the edge of what is possible, the difficulty will stabilize and it will be worth making a custom board design. Same has been seen as GPUs were operating on the edge of what was possible. Constant (...even fallig) difficulty, but mining is also less profitable then. I think this will be the right time for development then. Everything else will outdate after weeks. (...see Bitburner)
TomKeddie

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:16:33 PM

There is still significant cost in the rest of the components and assembly.  Best to apply the design to new chips if possible.
bitrocket

Activity: 71

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 06:50:42 PM

There is still significant cost in the rest of the components and assembly.  Best to apply the design to new chips if possible.

After all the dust settles from the group order refunds Avalon will have a lot of inventory on hand for immediate delivery. Keep in mind Avalon paid the foundry considerably less to produce the chips than they were selling them for. I believe they'll be able to discount in-hand chips to the point where it'll still be profitable to manufacture them into boards.

My vote is to keep going on the Klondike project to get the current k16 boards hashing, and prepare for any design modifications needed for the Gen 2 chips.

NEW Rocketpool Giveaway [POOL][DOGE] 10,000 Doge Block Finder Bonus on now: http://doge.rocketpool.org
>50,000 Dogecoin bounty in blockfinder rewards
BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 06:53:56 PM

I'm still here and haven't abandoned the project. I've had some disruptions over the last week as the tile guys that I've been waiting for since March finally arrived and started putting in floors. I've been moving stuff around from room to room, and it's a mess, stuff piled up everywhere. Timing couldn't have been worse, and my time diverted. I'm setting up my workbench and tools again and back working again, though the room I'm in still has no floor and I'll have to move back again in 2 days. If it were just me here I could probably have delayed them but my wife (and other family) presses on me as well. Plus I really need a floor.

I appreciate the kind words above and want to finalize this whole thing so I can move on. I feel like I'm stumbling around not knowing what's actually going to happen regarding Avalon chips, much disheartened by everything, but trying to keep a more positive outlook.

OtaconEmmerich

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 07:04:15 PM

FLOORS are fairly important, I can see the reason why for the delays. No worries man, with all this stuff flying about with Yifu and delays..There isn't a big rush yet. Just keep on doing what you can! Thanks ALOT FOR THE EFFORT.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 09:08:52 PM

Floors are important and so are wives Smiley

Keep up the good work.
cardcomm

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 09:59:27 PM

Floors are important and so are wives Smiley

Keep up the good work.

That's for sure!  "A happy wife equals a happy life" lol

Sounds like you've had your work cut out for you. I HATE moving stuff from room to room...

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:39:44 AM

I'm still here and haven't abandoned the project. I've had some disruptions over the last week as the tile guys that I've been waiting for since March finally arrived and started putting in floors. I've been moving stuff around from room to room, and it's a mess, stuff piled up everywhere. Timing couldn't have been worse, and my time diverted. I'm setting up my workbench and tools again and back working again, though the room I'm in still has no floor and I'll have to move back again in 2 days. If it were just me here I could probably have delayed them but my wife (and other family) presses on me as well. Plus I really need a floor.

I appreciate the kind words above and want to finalize this whole thing so I can move on. I feel like I'm stumbling around not knowing what's actually going to happen regarding Avalon chips, much disheartened by everything, but trying to keep a more positive outlook.

Keep Flooring

And Carry On.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
docjunior

Activity: 62

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 06:32:59 AM

Plus I really need a floor.

Hahaha :-D I think everyone understands your priorities there, Bkk :-)
chadtn

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 09:38:14 AM

Bkkcoins...After you finalize the current K16 design, do you plan to do any additional work on the project or pass on the torch to the open source community?  The last I read, the Avalon gen2 chip just sounded like a die shrink with the same physical size and pin out configuration.

I guess what I am really asking is; will you still be involved in the project or do you have different plans for the future?  I've really enjoyed watching this thread over the past few months. Seeing all of your hard work coming together,  along with all of the community input and support has been really exciting.  I was just wondering if you could share with us any future plans or new projects you might be involved with going forward.  I'm sure many of us would love to read some type of miniblog on any of your future ventures, even if they happen to be outside the bitcoin environment.

Thanks for all of your hard work and contributions!

Chad

▄██    ▐███████▄▄▄       ▄▄█████▄▄      ▄██▄      ▐██▄    ▒▓▓▄      ▄▓▓▒
     ███    ▐██▌▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ████▄     ▐██▌  ▐▓▄ ▀▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███   ███▌      ███▌   ██████    ▐██▌   ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐██▌    ▄████  ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███ ███▄  ▐██▌     ▀▓▓▄ ▀▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐█████████▀▀   ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███  ▀███ ▐██▌      ▓▓▓    ▓▓▓
     ███    ▐██▌   ▀███     ███▌      ███▌   ███    ██████▌   ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▄
     ███    ▐██▌     ███    ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████    ███     ▀████▌  ▐▓▀ ▄▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███     ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ███▌    ▄▓▓▀      ▀▓▓▄
                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
           ▄▓▓▓█▀▀            ▀▀█▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 09:41:30 AM

Announcement date? Or whatever progress? Is this still in progress or is it dying already?
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 252

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 09:47:41 AM

Announcement date? Or whatever progress? Is this still in progress or is it dying already?

Only one page back...  Roll Eyes

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Pages: « 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: