Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:17:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... 120 »
  Print  
Author Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed)  (Read 274748 times)
ryanb
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:36:57 AM

i just got the email that the bot placed an order or something but i looked into my account the order was not executed

any reason why?

https://bitcoinfundingteam.com/ref/SatoshiTeam
turn 0.1 BTC to 80BTC week after week!!!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 07:15:22 AM

@ Pablo

I think I might have found a strange inconsistency.

I was installing B-Bot on a ESXi server, on a virtual desktop to test out a few settings. I set B-Bot to standard settings (2 hours, 0.25 buy/sell 10/21 ema settings) and refreshed the popup.html page and I noticed that the desktop time sync was off by about 3 or 4 hours.

When I went to refresh B-Bots status page I noticed it was reading in sync with the wrong hour.

I corrected the clock on the virtual desktop and only then did B-Bot actually use the current stats up to the current hour.

I know this is a small issue but if someone has their clock off by a significant portion of time they might be trading with very old data. You might want to look into it and see if B-Bot is synchronized by the clock on the users computer rather than the api/feed servers it is getting data from.

As soon as I corrected the time, B-Bot started pulling several extra hours of data that weren't there before.

(By the way, are there any current Beta Tester spots available?)
MicroFi

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 08:18:49 AM

Pablo,

Another thing I was thinking about when doing some backtesting:

Apart from the implementation of Bitcoin/EUR backtesting, would it also be possible to display the % profit in Bitcoin?
That way you can easily see how much better the bot is doing than a buy & hold.

฿: 1NvAd48YHKCBUbEhy8LzGmYk8KY9AFvEui
Basaj

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:06:17 AM

Thanks for the help Pablo,
Now onto my next 'problem',
I think I have set-up everything correctly but still no check mark and a warning saying,

"The BTC-e API is currently having issues but we will keep trying. Butter Bot will recover automatically once the API is back up."

Its been happening since last night so is this a problem with the BTC-E site or is it something I setup wrong?
seanrarey

Activity: 168

BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 10:09:14 AM

I think I have set-up everything correctly but still no check mark and a warning saying,

"The BTC-e API is currently having issues but we will keep trying. Butter Bot will recover automatically once the API is back up."

Its been happening since last night so is this a problem with the BTC-E site or is it something I setup wrong?

Mine are reading BTC-e fine @ the moment, so looks like it is a local problem on your end.

Basaj

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 10:47:25 AM

Mine are reading BTC-e fine @ the moment, so looks like it is a local problem on your end.

I remember someone saying something about confirming the email btc-e send you to activate the API key etc but I have never received one of those emails, I just cannot understand why it says API connected but BTC-E disconnected when I hover over the triangle where the check mark should be on the butter bot interface. Any help to get this up and running would be greatly appreciated.
seanrarey

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 10:54:37 AM

I remember someone saying something about confirming the email btc-e send you to activate the API key etc but I have never received one of those emails, I just cannot understand why it says API connected but BTC-E disconnected when I hover over the triangle where the check mark should be on the butter bot interface. Any help to get this up and running would be greatly appreciated.

You don't have to confirm APIs on BTCe via Email, you only have to do that for BitStamp.  Make sure you have "Info" and "Trade" selected in the API screen on BTCe and you clicked "Save".

If you canot get it to connect, delete the keys and start over, paying close attention to each step so as to not make any mistakes.

Smiley

Basaj

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:02:19 AM

Ok fixed!Thanks for the help, I had already deleted and added new API info but i unchecked the permissions and saved then reselected what permissions it could have, saved and somehow it started working!

Now onto messing around with the thresholds!
seanrarey

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 11:03:47 AM

Ok fixed!Thanks for the help, I had already deleted and added new API info but i unchecked the permissions and saved then reselected what permissions it could have, saved and somehow it started working!

Now onto messing around with the thresholds!

Sweet.  Just in time for the upswing.  Cheesy

jbssm

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 11:59:31 AM

I've been trying Butterbot, and although it's an interesting concept, the truth is that you are clearly loosing money.

I tried a great amount of different settings (from the ones suggested by the creators to others) and in every case, you cannot find any settings that simply beat leaving the BTCs alone and capitalizing. You are always loosing money. If the creators of ButterBot put an option to see the profit in BTC instead of USD you could see that the number of BTCs using this algorithm - in every case - it's reducing.

Put the monthly amount you pay for the software on top of that and you are clearly loosing quite a big sum of money by using it.

Donations to the helping fund for victims of alien abduction and zombie contagion are welcome: 13U16ay4Tyvr9ZkQ3wqtReuZGaPE27wt4e
seanrarey

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 12:09:56 PM

I've been trying Butterbot, and although it's an interesting concept, the truth is that you are clearly loosing money.

I tried a great amount of different settings (from the ones suggested by the creators to others) and in every case, you cannot find any settings that simply beat leaving the BTCs alone and capitalizing. You are always loosing money. If the creators of ButterBot put an option to see the profit in BTC instead of USD you could see that the number of BTCs using this algorithm - in every case - it's reducing.

Put the monthly amount you pay for the software on top of that and you are clearly loosing quite a big sum of money by using it.

jbssm, I have a diverse portfolio.  I have BTC that "rides" in safe off-line wallets, I have BTC in accounts that I trade manually, and I test every bot I can get my hands on.

In fact, in the real world, your assertions are not correct.

But thank you for checking in with us.

Smiley

ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 01:17:22 PM

and I test every bot I can get my hands on.
I have tried every (free) bot I have seen and let it worked min. 1 month
with every bot I have lost BTC
hence show us what gain (%) was possible with this one (in BTC, not in fiat)
thx
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:27:44 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 01:07:40 AM by PuertoLibre

I actually agree with you but I also disagree with you.

I was discussing this very point with my family last night. If you think about the market in terms of a purely vertical increase. Then the market probably moves into the positive 3 or 4 times what it does when using an ema bot.

For example, if you counted each price rise over a single day and added them all up commulatively you'd see it probably moved 200 dollars in equivalent value even if the price only increased $20 on that day. (as well as decreasing in value by a similar figure)

An ema bot might require a sacrifice of 30% on an upward trend to be sacrificed in order to detect a trend. The same is true on the down turn. Lets say a (plucked out of thin air) figure of 60% potential profit is lost by waiting until a trend actually exists. About 30% is your only real profit.

So even if the market only went up 20$ but vertically stacked clocked in at 200$ vertical cummulative climb at the days end. From the start of the day till the end, your ema bot might have actually made you:

60% or 120$ is lost in detecting a trend. While 80$ might be potential profit.

==========================

The only difference with buy and hold strategies is that you have to assume the value will only go up. It may go down and you go bust. (While using a bot protects you from down turns, holding does not, unless you exit the market manually)

Even if the commulative dollar amount for the total rise in a 24 hour period is 200$, in a buy and hold strategy it might only net you 20$ at the end of the day. It is technically static and doesn't take any opportunities of market corrections and repeated rises in those 24 hours that eventually end in a 20$ gain at the end of the day.

So when someone argues that a straight forward buy and hold strategy is best, they are basically trying to debate that the bot will mess up enough [in detecting trends] that overall the (bot + trend) strategy will make enough bad calls that it does worse than a simple buy and hold.

It's like saying:

"So what if your bot made 80$ today V.S. my buy and hold strategy and profit of 20$? Your bot will eventually make enough "bad calls" that your 80$ will actually turn out to be 10$." (which is true, as most bots lose just as much as they gain. Pablo mentioned that 70% will be losing trades while 30% will be gaining with this ema bot.)

The only perfect bot is the one that makes the right decision every time and has "zero loss" for trend detection. (it doesn't exist)
A perfect bot, would earn 200$ on a single day on a 20$ average rise. Not even human traders are that good. No where even close or that lucky.
Think about how long it takes butter (or how many dollars each way) it loses as it waits to make sure a trend is building.

Butter loses quite a bit getting you out of a crash dive as the ema signals take some time after the drop. Quite a bit is lost getting you into an upward trend as well.
But a buy and hold strategy only nets you the average rise of that day.

===========================

It should be a toss up as to whom will do better.
If the market went from 100$ to 400$ over a week, then the buy and hold speculator will only ever make (at best) 300$ with a simple buy and hold.

If the bot user using ema has extremely efficient settings, then they might make well over 300$. Or if they have inappropriate settings they might make a hell of lot less than 300$. The bot user also has to contend with the notion that not all upward trends will be clear enough when using an ema system. So often you won't even make the 300$.

If anyone tallies up all the commulative price rises over the last month you'd probably find it has gone up more than 10,000$ vertically. Though most of our bots are at best doing a fraction of 300$ in profits.

We should all share our settings and work out what is the most efficient path (not the settings themselves) to figuring out what settings are optimum in different scenarios.

We need to pry open EMA for example and really understand deep down what makes it tick. Why certain setting in one particular week give spectacular returns and why it doesn't work as well in another week with a different scenario. At the moment we are all mostly using the "Jack of all Trades" strategy. Which is finding one setting that does "okay" in most scenarios.

I think it would be "profitable" to find settings that detect down trends quickly and adjust our settings as necessary throughout the day. Like changing settings based on the market conditions. (I can hear Pablo just telling us not to do that, that a jack of all trades is best)  Wink Grin

velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:45:56 PM

that depends on a lot of factors.

Here's my current settings backtested for 1 year:
$1000 invested a year ago, using the bot with decent settings, worth $75,000 (234 btc) today.
vs
Buy and Hold - $1000@10.55/btc = 94.8 btc, worth $30,331 today

Going shorter timelines, it changes, as long as BTC doesn't crash, B&H is better only in the short term.

velacreations

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:58:13 PM

We should all share our settings and work out what is the most efficient path (not the settings themselves) to figuring out what settings are optimum in different scenarios.

We need to pry open EMA for example and really understand deep down what makes it tick. Why certain setting in one particular week give spectacular returns and why it doesn't work as well in another week with a different scenario. At the moment we are all mostly using the "Jack of all Trades" strategy. Which is finding one setting that does "okay" in most scenarios.

I think it would be "profitable" to find settings that detect down trends quickly and adjust our settings as necessary throughout the day. Like changing settings based on the market conditions. (I can hear Pablo just telling us not to do that, that a jack of all trades is best)  Wink Grin

I actually think it would be wise to have a few settings, depending on what the market is doing.  The bot doesn't seem to do as well as it could on some of the long rises that bitcoin sees.  So, during a long rise, it would be good to adjust the strategy a bit to make better gains.  Same on the downslope.  This is like having the same strategy, but just slight tweaks to make things optimized to market conditions.

I do think we should all share settings and back testing to help each other out.  I know I'm a total newbie at bot trading, but this thread has already helped me a lot to understand the concepts and tactics.  While I still have a lot to learn, it's wonderful that some of the more experienced users can help.

lolipop

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:08:53 PM

I actually agree with you but I also disagree with you.

I was discussing this very point with my family last night. If you think about the market in terms of a purely vertical increase. Then the market probably moves into the positive 3 or 4 times what it does when using an ema bot.

For example, if you counted each price rise over a single day and added them all up commulatively you'd see it probably moved 200 dollars in equivalent value even if the price only increased $20 on that day. (as well as decreasing in value by a similar figure)

An ema bot might require a sacrifice of 30% on an upward trend to be sacrificed in order to detect a trend. The same is true on the down turn. Lets say a (plucked out of thin air) figure of 60% potential profit is lost by waiting until a trend actually exists. About 30% is your only real profit.

So even if the market only went up 20$ but vertically stacked clocked in at 200$ vertical cummulative climb at the days end. From the start of the day till the end, your ema bot might have actually made you:

60% or 120$ is lost in detecting a trend. While 80$ might be potential profit.

==========================

The only difference with buy and hold strategies is that you have to assume the value will only go up. It may go down and you go bust. (While using a bot protects you from down turns, holding does not, unless you exit the market manually)

Even if the commulative dollar amount for the total rise in a 24 hour period is 200$, in a buy and hold strategy it might only net you 20$ at the end of the day. It is technically static and doesn't take any opportunities of market corrections and repeated rises in those 24 hours that eventually end in a 20$ gain at the end of the day.

So when someone argues that a straight forward buy and hold strategy is best, they are basically trying to debate that the bot will mess up enough [in detecting trends] that overall the (bot + trend) strategy will make enough bad calls that it does worse than a simple buy and hold.

It's like saying:

"So what if your bot made 80$ today V.S. my buy and hold strategy and profit of 20$? Your bot will eventually make enough "bad calls" that your 80$ will actually turn out to be 10$. (which is true, as most bots lose just as much as they gain. Pablo mentioned that 70% will be losing trades while 30% will be gaining with this ema bot.)

The only perfect bot is the one that makes the right decision every time and has "zero loss" for trend detection. (it doesn't exist)
A perfect bot, would earn 200$ on a single day on a 20$ average rise. Not even human traders are that good. No where even close or that lucky.
Think about how long it takes butter (or how many dollars each way) it loses as it waits to make sure a trend is building.

Butter loses quite it bit getting you out of a crash dive as the ema signals take some time after the drop. Quite a bit is lost getting you into an upward trend as well.
But a buy and hold strategy only nets you the average rise of that day.

===========================

It should be a toss up as to whom will do better.
If the market went from 100$ to 400$ over a week, then the buy and hold speculator will only ever make (at best) 300$ with a simple buy and hold.

If the bot user using ema has extremely efficient settings, then they might make well over 300$. Or if they have inappropriate settings they might make a hell of lot less than 300$. The bot user also has to contend with the notion that not all upward trends will be clear enough when using an ema system. So often you won't even make the 300$.

If anyone tallies up all the commulative price rises over the last month you'd probably find it has gone up more than 10,000$ vertically. Though most of our bots are at best doing a fraction of 300$ in profits.

I think it would be "profitable" to find settings that detect down trends quickly and adjust our settings as necessary throughout the day. Like changing settings based on the market conditions. (I can hear Pablo just telling us not to do that, that a jack of all trades is best)  Wink Grin

is the bot confirm and a lot profit ?

♦  Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com  ♦   ♦  Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets  ♦    ♦  Provably Fair  ♦ 
velacreations

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:09:57 PM

also, I don't know if this is a good mention or not, but I like testing strategies on https://cryptotrader.org/

you can compare buy and hold vs other strategies very easily.  it's not as easy to use as Butter-bot, but it's good for testing multiple settings, as you can save your back tests.  You have to adjust the code, to enter settings (much easier in Butter).

fible1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1183

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 03:51:11 PM

@ Pablo

Should both numbers (under the arrows) be expressed as a positive number in B-bot's settings?

0.6 buy threshold?

0.3 sell threshold?

Hey Smiley,
  No, on the table they are properly expressed, they should both be positive in your threshold settings menu. I realize that may seem a little counter-intuitive at this point but it does makes sense Smiley.

Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
PGP Key(s): Pablo@Pablo-Lema.com: http://pastebin.com/V8Z4WxUE
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 03:55:08 PM

Hi Pablo,

So I added the update (2.4) you sent via email and now I keep getting email notifications every 30 mins (set to 30min buy/sell trigger) that there has been a purchase despite the fact that there was already a purchase 3 hours ago and there no further funds to purchase anything new.

Is this a bug? My settings haven't changed. They are the same as they were before the update.

Pangia,
  Please email me the info below at Pablo@Butter-Bot.com and we will track this down and solve it ASAP. Rest assured that it is a non-critical issue from what we can tell, if you find it annoying just shut off email alerts until we fix it we should be ASAP.

Needed info:

1. Go into the "manage extensions" page.
2. Enable "developer" mode by checking the "developer" box in the upper tool bar.
3. Go to the extension and click on the "generated_background_page.html" link.
4. When the new window opens, choose the "console tab"
5. Copy and paste the info there to pastebin.com as close to the time of your issue as possible and send it to me.

And:

1. In the developer tools open the network tab. 
2. If it's empty, press F5 to reload the extension and wait a few minutes until there are some requests listed. 
3 Then right-click the list in the left pane and select
"Save as HAR with content".
Please scan the file and remove your API Key from the text and send it to us.
This will help us resolve your issue much more quickly. 

Thank you for your help Smiley.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 03:58:16 PM

@ Pablo

I think I might have found a strange inconsistency.

I was installing B-Bot on a ESXi server, on a virtual desktop to test out a few settings. I set B-Bot to standard settings (2 hours, 0.25 buy/sell 10/21 ema settings) and refreshed the popup.html page and I noticed that the desktop time sync was off by about 3 or 4 hours.

When I went to refresh B-Bots status page I noticed it was reading in sync with the wrong hour.

I corrected the clock on the virtual desktop and only then did B-Bot actually use the current stats up to the current hour.

I know this is a small issue but if someone has their clock off by a significant portion of time they might be trading with very old data. You might want to look into it and see if B-Bot is synchronized by the clock on the users computer rather than the api/feed servers it is getting data from.

As soon as I corrected the time, B-Bot started pulling several extra hours of data that weren't there before.

(By the way, are there any current Beta Tester spots available?)

Thank you PuertoLibre, on it.

About Beta Tester Spots: If you want in the next Beta I will guarantee you a spot, you are one of the top bug spotters in the community, if not number one Smiley.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... 120 »
  Print  

Jump to: