Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:25:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 »
  Print  
Author Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed)  (Read 274742 times)
smashpt

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Wassup?

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:55:58 PM

yeh, time to make some money!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
readyrmca

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:04:49 PM

Ok.  I got a few coins that I've been holding for about 8-9 months now and I'm just starting to realize how much money I could have made if I'd been trading the whole time.  I've just got the trial version of the Butter Bot software and I'm gonna load a small amount into it during the trial period until I can figure out how it works and how to maximize profits.  I'm pretty good at predicting market trends and reading charts, but I just don't have the time anymore.  In the current stagnant market environment that we're in right now can someone give me some settings to start with.  I read the ones that were recommended when I got the bot, but those were written when market volatility was thru the roof. 

The portion I really don't understand is the buy and sell thresholds.  Is that the maximum amount of my balance that can be risked for the given period?  Someone who's been using this thing for a while help me out here please. 

Peace,

Readyrmca
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 07:14:50 AM

Ok.  I got a few coins that I've been holding for about 8-9 months now and I'm just starting to realize how much money I could have made if I'd been trading the whole time.  I've just got the trial version of the Butter Bot software and I'm gonna load a small amount into it during the trial period until I can figure out how it works and how to maximize profits.  I'm pretty good at predicting market trends and reading charts, but I just don't have the time anymore.  In the current stagnant market environment that we're in right now can someone give me some settings to start with.  I read the ones that were recommended when I got the bot, but those were written when market volatility was thru the roof. 

The portion I really don't understand is the buy and sell thresholds.  Is that the maximum amount of my balance that can be risked for the given period?  Someone who's been using this thing for a while help me out here please. 

Peace,

Readyrmca

In order for butterbot to execute an order, the EMAs have to cross and stayed crossed for two consecutive intervals. So let's assume you are using a 1 hour time frame. For a buy order to execute, the fast EMA will need to cross over the slow EMA and be higher than the slow EMA at the close of hour one and hour two. If you set a tick offset, say -10 minutes for instance, then the fast EMA will have to be higher than the slow EMA at 10 minutes before the hourly candle closes for two consecutive candles.

Buy threshold 1 is the first threshold. Say you set it at .15%. The fast EMA will have to cross up over the slow EMA AND with a value .15% or higher than the slow EMA, else it is considered meaningless.
Buy threshold 2 is the second threshold. Say it is set at .3%. The fast EMA will have to cross up over the slow EMA AND with a value .3% or higher than the slow EMA, else it is considered meaningless.

Buy threshold one must be satisfied followed by buy threshold 2 in order to execute an order.

Say your EMAs cross, but the fast EMA is only .12% higher than your slow EMA. Your first threshold won't trigger. If price then shoots up the next hour, and at the next candle close your fast EMA is .35% above your slow EMA, it won't execute a buy order yet, because your first threshold wasn't triggered by the initial cross of only .12%. This cross of .35% will satisfy your first threshold and if the next candle closes above .3%, the bot will then execute a buy order.

I hope this helps.
Bitcopia

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:22:52 PM

Does anybody have experience with this bot or EMA trading in sideways markets? If so, is there any advice you could offer? How did you change your strategy to stay afloat and not get chopped up?

My trading account is at about -0.05%. I'm having to talk myself out of turning the bot off and trading manually until the market starts showing action, but I'm wondering more each day if I should break my #1 rule and trade outside of the plan.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:07:41 PM

Does anybody have experience with this bot or EMA trading in sideways markets? If so, is there any advice you could offer? How did you change your strategy to stay afloat and not get chopped up?

My trading account is at about -0.05%. I'm having to talk myself out of turning the bot off and trading manually until the market starts showing action, but I'm wondering more each day if I should break my #1 rule and trade outside of the plan.

I think a lot of us are feeling that way. I resist the urge, because I know, just from experience, that the moment I put it on manual, something major will happen while I'm away from my computer.  Shocked  If there's a good strategy for a market like this, I'd like to hear it too, but really, I think it's mostly just a matter of keeping your update intervals on the higher, safe end (1 or even 2 hours) and nothing silly with the moving averages (no 3/9 kind of stuff). Just keep the number of trades low until action picks up.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Bitcopia

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:12:09 PM

Ok.  I got a few coins that I've been holding for about 8-9 months now and I'm just starting to realize how much money I could have made if I'd been trading the whole time.  I've just got the trial version of the Butter Bot software and I'm gonna load a small amount into it during the trial period until I can figure out how it works and how to maximize profits.  I'm pretty good at predicting market trends and reading charts, but I just don't have the time anymore.  In the current stagnant market environment that we're in right now can someone give me some settings to start with.  I read the ones that were recommended when I got the bot, but those were written when market volatility was thru the roof.  

The portion I really don't understand is the buy and sell thresholds.  Is that the maximum amount of my balance that can be risked for the given period?  Someone who's been using this thing for a while help me out here please.  

Peace,

Readyrmca

In order for butterbot to execute an order, the EMAs have to cross and stayed crossed for two consecutive intervals. So let's assume you are using a 1 hour time frame. For a buy order to execute, the fast EMA will need to cross over the slow EMA and be higher than the slow EMA at the close of hour one and hour two. If you set a tick offset, say -10 minutes for instance, then the fast EMA will have to be higher than the slow EMA at 10 minutes before the hourly candle closes for two consecutive candles.

Buy threshold 1 is the first threshold. Say you set it at .15%. The fast EMA will have to cross up over the slow EMA AND with a value .15% or higher than the slow EMA, else it is considered meaningless.
Buy threshold 2 is the second threshold. Say it is set at .3%. The fast EMA will have to cross up over the slow EMA AND with a value .3% or higher than the slow EMA, else it is considered meaningless.

Buy threshold one must be satisfied followed by buy threshold 2 in order to execute an order.

Say your EMAs cross, but the fast EMA is only .12% higher than your slow EMA. Your first threshold won't trigger. If price then shoots up the next hour, and at the next candle close your fast EMA is .35% above your slow EMA, it won't execute a buy order yet, because your first threshold wasn't triggered by the initial cross of only .12%. This cross of .35% will satisfy your first threshold and if the next candle closes above .3%, the bot will then execute a buy order.

I hope this helps.

I know I did not ask this question but it really helps a lot for me. Thanks.
Actually I had a follow up question, if you don't mind. So is this the reason why many people have negative values as threshold one (like -50), so then this threshold will always be met, and then it just looks at threshold 2? Can you also please help me understand why using a large negative value is necessary, why can we not just use zero, for example.
Thanks again.

I use 0 for a buy threshold 1 value and .05 as a sell threshold 1 value, so I'm not 100% sure about the negative value.

However, the likely scenario is that a high negative value, say -50% will negate the principal of having a first buy threshold because the EMA's are virtually always going to be within 50% of each other. Therefor, threshold 1 is constantly met, and you could assume that if the EMA's cross your buy threshold 2 value, that the order will execute within one interval after the cross as opposed to taking two intervals after the cross if you had a "0" or positive value for buy threshold 1.

The reason for using a high negative instead of using 0 would be to execute orders with more sensitivity. Personally, I'm a fan of two thresholds to rule out quick jumps.

This would be the logical explanation, however, I have no experience using negative values, so maybe somebody else can chime in here if they have experience using negative values in their trading.
smashpt

Wassup?

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:40:50 PM

Ok.  I got a few coins that I've been holding for about 8-9 months now and I'm just starting to realize how much money I could have made if I'd been trading the whole time.  I've just got the trial version of the Butter Bot software and I'm gonna load a small amount into it during the trial period until I can figure out how it works and how to maximize profits.  I'm pretty good at predicting market trends and reading charts, but I just don't have the time anymore.  In the current stagnant market environment that we're in right now can someone give me some settings to start with.  I read the ones that were recommended when I got the bot, but those were written when market volatility was thru the roof.  

The portion I really don't understand is the buy and sell thresholds.  Is that the maximum amount of my balance that can be risked for the given period?  Someone who's been using this thing for a while help me out here please.  

Peace,

Readyrmca

I hope this helps.

Actually I had a follow up question, if you don't mind. So is this the reason why many people have negative values as threshold one (like -50), so then this threshold will always be met, and then it just looks at threshold 2? Can you also please help me understand why using a large negative value is necessary, why can we not just use zero, for example.
Thanks again.

I use 0 for a buy threshold 1 value and .05 as a sell threshold 1 value, so I'm not 100% sure about the negative value.

However, the likely scenario is that a high negative value, say -50% will negate the principal of having a first buy threshold because the EMA's are virtually always going to be within 50% of each other. Therefor, threshold 1 is constantly met, and you could assume that if the EMA's cross your buy threshold 2 value, that the order will execute within one interval after the cross as opposed to taking two intervals after the cross if you had a "0" or positive value for buy threshold 1.

The reason for using a high negative instead of using 0 would be to execute orders with more sensitivity. Personally, I'm a fan of two thresholds to rule out quick jumps.

This would be the logical explanation, however, I have no experience using negative values, so maybe somebody else can chime in here if they have experience using negative values in their trading.

Well I'm using -50 on both threshold1 and my bot doesn't trade since 3 days ago... is it normal?
Bitcopia

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:28:45 AM

Peace,

Readyrmca

I hope this helps.

Thanks again.

Well I'm using -50 on both threshold1 and my bot doesn't trade since 3 days ago... is it normal?

What is your second threshold, what time interval are you using, are you currently holding BTC, USD, or both, and what exchange are you using? These factors will all determine whether or not it is normal that your bot hasn't traded in 3 days.

Taking out the first value doesn't have much effect on how often your bot will trade, but more on WHEN your bot will trade. It's very rare that having a positive threshold 1 will result in a trade not executing while having a negative threshold 1 will result in triggering a trade. The difference is that the trade will execute one interval earlier with a high negative threshold.

The only time having a high negative threshold 1 would result in a trade while having a positive or neutral threshold 1 wouldn't is a situation of a flash crash that rebounds before two intervals pass.
smashpt

Wassup?

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:33:08 AM

Peace,

Readyrmca

I hope this helps.

Thanks again.

What is your second threshold, what time interval are you using, are you currently holding BTC, USD, or both, and what exchange are you using? These factors will all determine whether or not it is normal that your bot hasn't traded in 3 days.

Taking out the first value doesn't have much effect on how often your bot will trade, but more on WHEN your bot will trade. It's very rare that having a positive threshold 1 will result in a trade not executing while having a negative threshold 1 will result in triggering a trade. The difference is that the trade will execute one interval earlier with a high negative threshold.

The only time having a high negative threshold 1 would result in a trade while having a positive or neutral threshold 1 wouldn't is a situation of a flash crash that rebounds before two intervals pass.

Im using this now
And i'm currently holding USD

Bitcopia

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:48:08 AM

What exchange are you using?

Bitstamp should have:

21.01.2014 02:58:00   sell   819.750    $100.11   0.11%
18.01.2014 00:58:00   buy   810.690    $99.50   -0.50%

MtGox:

22.01.2014 07:28:00   sell   952.100    $99.87   -0.13%
19.01.2014 07:28:00   buy   919.000    $96.98   -3.02%
19.01.2014 00:58:00   sell   902.200    $97.56   -2.44%
18.01.2014 00:58:00   buy   913.689    $99.40   -0.60%

BTC-e:

20.01.2014 11:28:00   sell   821.165    $100.67   0.67%
18.01.2014 02:28:00   buy   812.400    $99.80   -0.20%

If butterbot didn't trade at these times, then your API connection might not be working.

Also, are you aware of bitcoinwisdom? You can plug in your EMA parameters, your interval, and the exchange that your using. That and trading view are my favorite charting services to watch. Bitcoincharts.com is better for backtesting.
smashpt

Wassup?

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:56:19 AM

Bitstamp should have:

MtGox:

BTC-e:

If butterbot didn't trade at these times, then your API connection might not be working.

Also, are you aware of bitcoinwisdom? You can plug in your EMA parameters, your interval, and the exchange that your using. That and trading view are my favorite charting services to watch. Bitcoincharts.com is better for backtesting.

I'm using BTC-E

BTC/USD   sell   0.1712 BTC   820 USD   140.384 USD   20.01.14 20:29
BTC/USD   buy   0.12735 BTC   798.997 USD   101.75226795 USD   18.01.14 02:52

That's the last operation he did, 3 days ago
(the threshold's 1 are good?)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:12:06 AM

@ Pablo

You once mentioned that ButterBot takes about 160 or 165 SMA samples to generate the first EMA value. I have tried various amounts but never seem to be able to replicate the exact same EMA values as butterbot.

Could you ask around about this?

I am compiling a Month to Month Minute accurate excel sheet to distribute on the forum so we can run various kinds of math against the past. But so far I am having a hard time replicating the ButterBot EMA samples. (I'd like it to match the real butter rather than be an approximation).
@ Pablo
Did you get around to investigating the SMA samples?
Bitcopia

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:16:08 AM

Bitstamp should have:

MtGox:

BTC-e:

I'm using BTC-E

That's a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't like a negative threshold 1 value, but the threshold 2 value is much more important. Threshold 1 value, in my opinion, is the least important parameter for this bot.
smashpt

Wassup?

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:03:53 AM

Bitstamp should have:

MtGox:

BTC-e:

I'm using BTC-E

That's a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't like a negative threshold 1 value, but the threshold 2 value is much more important. Threshold 1 value, in my opinion, is the least important parameter for this bot.

So should i stay with these or change the threshold 1?
Bitcopia

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:55:04 PM

So should i stay with these or change the threshold 1?

Again, it's all opinion, and mine is that a neutral or slightly positive threshold 1 is better. There is no right or wrong. Play with the backtesting and see what you like and think about what makes most sense to you. Remember threshold 1 is the least significant parameter for this bot. I wouldn't get too caught up on it.
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 10:02:14 PM

@ Pablo

You once mentioned that ButterBot takes about 160 or 165 SMA samples to generate the first EMA value. I have tried various amounts but never seem to be able to replicate the exact same EMA values as butterbot.

I am compiling a Month to Month Minute accurate excel sheet to distribute on the forum so we can run various kinds of math against the past. But so far I am having a hard time replicating the ButterBot EMA samples. (I'd like it to match the real butter rather than be an approximation).
@ Pablo

Puerto,
  Email me so we can discuss it in detail Smiley.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
PGP Key(s): Pablo@Pablo-Lema.com: http://pastebin.com/V8Z4WxUE
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 10:05:40 PM

I've been playing with my own settings and getting good results using single threshold trading (by making all threshold 1's "-50") in the current market. I know you guys are discussing this, it's quite interesting to observe.

The difference lies on how fast Butter will act on market changes, we have two thresholds to slow down trading and have Butter trade on more established trends, this single threshold setting seems interesting for those who have a higher risk, shorter term reward profile.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:21:43 AM

@ Pablo

@ Pablo

Puerto,
  Email me so we can discuss it in detail Smiley.

Pablo.
Will do.

@ The 1st thresholds.

I'd like to say that if you are creative enough, you can use the first pair of thresholds to limit your losses. Keep that in mind.

If you tune your settings with the first pair, you can also make the bot act slightly different in various types of scenarios.

-----------------

For example, you might want to assure your bot [only] buys after a sustained dip.

In this case your threshold might be a 2 and the second threshold for buying might be a 0.3

Same would be true of a sell scenario.
---------------------

You can also use the first pair to assure the bot weeds out the sudden micro peaks that don't affect price very much. For example, the market might go from -0.18 to 0.3 in two intervals. Using the first pair you can induce the bot to only buy if there is first a 0.25 or higher target  and then on the second threshold 0.3

Which means it is looking for progression rather than sudden spikes which only meet 1 criteria.

If you learn how to use the first pair properly you can even set the bot to look for specific types of reversals. Just food for thought if folks think the first pair is useless. It's not. The programmer probably placed it there after realizing that 1 threshold can create wins but also major losses when there are false positives.

If you could set even more thresholds you could probably look for specific types of EMA curves and not just 2 basic thresholds being met.
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 10:33:47 PM

LTC

We will have the LTC Beta coming out most likely by next Friday. I would like to ask for Beta testing volunteers; anyone interested on getting in on this, please drop me an email Smiley.

Please keep in mind that beta's may have unforeseen bugs and other issues and we can not be responsible for any negative results experienced by early testers; having said that, the new release is rocking Smiley.

Pablo.

(Edit: YAY! I got the first post on page 100!)

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
smashpt

Wassup?

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:42:00 AM

I would like to test it you Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 »
  Print  

Jump to: