Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:51:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 »
  Print  
Author Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed)  (Read 274742 times)
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 11:07:04 PM

Fible, if you're looking at trading on CEX you'll need to implement a different trading strategy for the GHash/BTC market.. it swings fast and needs a bot to make High frequency low profit trades to make anything.  Of course, this trade strategy would be awesome in the btc market as well so go hard Smiley

We're working on something, that should take care of all these things. I've hinted at this before, but now we are really ramping up development and all these strategy issues will be taken care of.

We aim to blow everyones mind in the next few months Smiley.

Pablo.

Edit: "Red Monkey"

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
PGP Key(s): Pablo@Pablo-Lema.com: http://pastebin.com/V8Z4WxUE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
seanrarey

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 06:34:59 PM

I am having an issue where the Override Global Settings do not seem to completely do that.

If I set my main trade engine to a threshold of .35 with a 6hr interval, and override BTCe with .08 and a 30 minute interval, it is not working correctly.  The interval overrides, but not the threshold... BTCe is trading at .35 instead of the .08 I have the override set to.  Is anyone else seeing this or found a fix?

fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 07:55:47 PM

I am having an issue where the Override Global Settings do not seem to completely do that.

If I set my main trade engine to a threshold of .35 with a 6hr interval, and override BTCe with .08 and a 30 minute interval, it is not working correctly.  The interval overrides, but not the threshold... BTCe is trading at .35 instead of the .08 I have the override set to.  Is anyone else seeing this or found a fix?

Hey Sean,
     I need your logs to track this down. Are you on the Beta or on the 2.5.1 official release?

Please just email me the information and we will track this down and fix it if the issue is there.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
"Crypto Success":  bit.ly/Crypto-Success; "Principles for Crypto Investment":  bit.ly/Crypto-Principles; "Crypto Survival":  bit.ly/Crypto-Survival';
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 08:00:16 PM

LTC PUBLIC BETA

Friends,
   We are opening the LTC Beta to any current customer who wants to give it a go. You can download it here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/butter-bot-beta/ehdnodagpabbehmekcopmakcmfadmgbk/

Notes:

1. You need to use it instead of the current official release, you can not use both or you will encounter trading issues.
2. The Beta has been tested by the closed group and we feel we have worked out most of the kinks, still, it is a Beta release and you must be aware that there may be bugs which could affect trading and cause losses, use at your own risk.

Any questions, comments or bug reports are welcome, please email Pablo@Butter-Bot.com

I am here as always if anyone needs anything Smiley.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
bill_d

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:18:02 PM

Newbie question on thresholds - saw this way back:

4. You can set two different thresholds for buy and sell commands. You will be notified when the EMA value passes threshold 1 but the bot will only trade after the EMA value has passed threshold 2. Thats 2 threshold for buy and 2 thresholds for sell that you can set.

question - if threshold 1 just triggers notification, how come it seems to change profitability in testing?

Thanks for any help
CC23

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:29:36 PM

question - if threshold 1 just triggers notification, how come it seems to change profitability in testing?

Because it also enables threshold 2 to be triggered. Once threshold 1 is passed at a tick time, a trade will happen if threshold 2 is triggered on the next tick (or a later one, provided that threshold 1 is consistently exceeded). So basically you can set the bot to require a certain steepness(? no, that's not the right word) of the EMA diff change, or to just trade immediately when the lines cross (by setting T1 to a negative number and T2 to zero) or whatever you like.

So to clarify: if the EMA diff somehow jumps from a negative value to a large positive one so both thresholds are met at once, nothing will happen, because at first only T1 will kick in (unless it already has, see above).

Did that help?

I will answer your Geology questions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=864879
bill_d

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:50:34 PM

thanks CC23, perfect
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 10:52:27 PM

Because it also enables threshold 2 to be triggered. Once threshold 1 is passed at a tick time, a trade will happen if threshold 2 is triggered on the next tick (or a later one, provided that threshold 1 is consistently exceeded). So basically you can set the bot to require a certain steepness(? no, that's not the right word) of the EMA diff change, or to just trade immediately when the lines cross (by setting T1 to a negative number and T2 to zero) or whatever you like.

So to clarify: if the EMA diff somehow jumps from a negative value to a large positive one so both thresholds are met at once, nothing will happen, because at first only T1 will kick in (unless it already has, see above).

Did that help?

You beat me to it Smiley.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
madpoet

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:53:45 PM

The Beta doesn't seem to re-read all the key settings.  Pity, I have to get them all figured out again Wink
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 11:01:08 PM

The Beta doesn't seem to re-read all the key settings.  Pity, I have to get them all figured out again Wink

Hey Smiley,
   Maybe I should have made this point clearer, the beta is really a separate app, so it has to be set individually.

I apologize if this caused any confusion.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
miless2111s

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:01:58 AM

I am in need of a little help...Smiley

I started using the Bot on the 24th Feb and struggled with working out what settings to use (not how they work - that's fairly clear thanks to this thread) and finally settled on 18/38 with thresholds set to 0/0.2 which back testing suggested profits would be positive (1.05% over a week, 20% over a month and 64% over 2 months - I don't see the point of anything longer given the basically "up" nature from before that).

Now I know that I need to wait and that the bot will loose 70% of the time but at the moment it is loosing 100% of the time and doesn't seem to capitalise even in large swing situations like last week.  I started with $91 (it was originally $100 but moving it into BTC lost me money at the time) and now I have $80.  BB buys/sells at the cross overs as designed but there is always a jump in the "wrong" direct at that time so it seems to buy at more than it then sells for Sad

I assume others are actually making money (!) so what am I doing wrong? I have considered -50/0 so that it buys on the turn to minimise the impact of buying into a market which I guess is being moved by EMA trading but back testing always shows this to be a bad idea.

So as the sub title says - I need a little help because this isn't working at the moment (thank God I listened to the advice to put some "play" money in first!)

Thanks all

Milles
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:40:25 PM

I started using the Bot on the 24th Feb and struggled with working out what settings to use (not how they work - that's fairly clear thanks to this thread) and finally settled on 18/38 with thresholds set to 0/0.2 which back testing suggested profits would be positive (1.05% over a week, 20% over a month and 64% over 2 months - I don't see the point of anything longer given the basically "up" nature from before that).

Now I know that I need to wait and that the bot will loose 70% of the time but at the moment it is loosing 100% of the time and doesn't seem to capitalise even in large swing situations like last week.  I started with $91 (it was originally $100 but moving it into BTC lost me money at the time) and now I have $80.  BB buys/sells at the cross overs as designed but there is always a jump in the "wrong" direct at that time so it seems to buy at more than it then sells for Sad

I assume others are actually making money (!) so what am I doing wrong? I have considered -50/0 so that it buys on the turn to minimise the impact of buying into a market which I guess is being moved by EMA trading but back testing always shows this to be a bad idea.

So as the sub title says - I need a little help because this isn't working at the moment (thank God I listened to the advice to put some "play" money in first!)

Thanks all

Milles

Milles,

This is a poor market for EMA trading at the moment. I've turned off my bot since mid-January because I felt a sustained period of relatively stable price or slow decline coming for the next couple months. Stable price is bad for EMA crossover strategies or really any trading strategy.

Also, be aware that you may be losing 100% of your first trades right now, but you might win the next 3. You might lose the first 20 and win the next 6. Or you might just always lose (but this is about as unlikely as always winning). It's just unfortunate to experience the drawdown at the beginning, because you start to question the strategy and sometimes break from the plan and act on emotions. If you stick to the plan, you will likely enter the market on the next major swing and make up all of your drawdown. However, it can be advantageous to analyze the current market sentiment and adjust your plan accordingly. Just always have a plan, and always honor your plan, or you will lose.

I've saved about 15% of my account balance by turning the bot off so far. I have set resistance points / crossovers that when satisfied, I will re-enter the market and turn the bot back on. Butterbot is a great tool, and in some of these extreme BTC market conditions, you can even just set it and forget it and still see large gains. But if you want to maximize your gains, it takes a decent knowledge of trading, planning, strategy adjustment, and emotional disregard.
Bitcopia

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:45:24 PM

Fible, if you're looking at trading on CEX you'll need to implement a different trading strategy for the GHash/BTC market.. it swings fast and needs a bot to make High frequency low profit trades to make anything.  Of course, this trade strategy would be awesome in the btc market as well so go hard Smiley

We're working on something, that should take care of all these things. I've hinted at this before, but now we are really ramping up development and all these strategy issues will be taken care of.

We aim to blow everyones mind in the next few months Smiley.

Pablo.

Edit: "Red Monkey"

Really looking forward to the new features! Hopefully they will be released in time for the next massive swing!
miless2111s

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 06:49:36 AM

Now I know that I need to wait and that the bot will loose 70% of the time but at the moment it is loosing 100% of the time and doesn't seem to capitalise even in large swing situations like last week.  I started with $91 (it was originally $100 but moving it into BTC lost me money at the time) and now I have $80.  BB buys/sells at the cross overs as designed but there is always a jump in the "wrong" direct at that time so it seems to buy at more than it then sells for Sad

Thanks all

Milles

Milles,

This is a poor market for EMA trading at the moment. I've turned off my bot since mid-January because I felt a sustained period of relatively stable price or slow decline coming for the next couple months. Stable price is bad for EMA crossover strategies or really any trading strategy.

Also, be aware that you may be losing 100% of your first trades right now, but you might win the next 3. You might lose the first 20 and win the next 6. Or you might just always lose (but this is about as unlikely as always winning). It's just unfortunate to experience the drawdown at the beginning, because you start to question the strategy and sometimes break from the plan and act on emotions. If you stick to the plan, you will likely enter the market on the next major swing and make up all of your drawdown. However, it can be advantageous to analyze the current market sentiment and adjust your plan accordingly. Just always have a plan, and always honor your plan, or you will lose.

I've saved about 15% of my account balance by turning the bot off so far. I have set resistance points / crossovers that when satisfied, I will re-enter the market and turn the bot back on. Butterbot is a great tool, and in some of these extreme BTC market conditions, you can even just set it and forget it and still see large gains. But if you want to maximize your gains, it takes a decent knowledge of trading, planning, strategy adjustment, and emotional disregard.

I think that the "always have a plan" bit is the aspect that most bites - how to balance the need to leave BB to get on with it and when to fiddle around to adjust to the conditions.  At the moment my choosing of variables is a fairly random; plug in 18/39, 18/50, 12/20 etc pairs and see what back testing says.  This really doesn't feel planned, more random motion.  Coupled with the fact that at the start I finally found some settings which were predicted to work - then I find that they dont seem to work.  Do I just swap to something else (on the assumption I can find a set which worked for last week) or stick with what I've got and wait for the 30/70% split to swing?  At some point the need to constantly adjust the settings stops being a plan becomes a pain Smiley

Coupled with a lack of any science/rigour about how to find and select the variables at the moment and this all feels very "un planned" and random which is both against your sentiment and my hopes for having a bot.

Where do I go to in order to improve my knowledge and technique here?

Miles
mooncake

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:08:57 AM

I think that the "always have a plan" bit is the aspect that most bites - how to balance the need to leave BB to get on with it and when to fiddle around to adjust to the conditions.  At the moment my choosing of variables is a fairly random; plug in 18/39, 18/50, 12/20 etc pairs and see what back testing says.  This really doesn't feel planned, more random motion.  Coupled with the fact that at the start I finally found some settings which were predicted to work - then I find that they dont seem to work.  Do I just swap to something else (on the assumption I can find a set which worked for last week) or stick with what I've got and wait for the 30/70% split to swing?  At some point the need to constantly adjust the settings stops being a plan becomes a pain Smiley

Coupled with a lack of any science/rigour about how to find and select the variables at the moment and this all feels very "un planned" and random which is both against your sentiment and my hopes for having a bot.

Miles

The whole Butter Bot started with Goomboo's journal thread.
What I learnt:
- When lower EMA crosses higher higher EMA, buy. Sell for opposite scenario.
- There is no hard and fast rule on EMA value setting. Just choose one that you like. Can be random as well.
- Manage the number of trades to reduce commissions for exchanges and slippage. Recommended trades per month: 8-12.

This is what I personally think:
- Past data serves only as a reference to start you off on the setting values.
- Settings should not be changed often. Change only when market conditions require it.
- Different exchanges may require different settings because of different commissions and volatility. Adjust accordingly.

My plan:
- EMA values not adjusted
- Adjust interval to suit market conditions. No more than 12 trades per month.
- Different intervals for different exchanges

Hope it is useful to you.
Bitcopia

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:30:20 PM

Thanks all

Milles

Milles,

Miles

The plan can have multiple layers to it. For instance, my plan is to have the bot on, trading with my defined settings. However, I also have a plan to turn the bot off for sideways or slowly and steadily descending markets, as EMA crossover is a poor strategy in sideways markets. Certain criteria must be met for me to turn the bot off. And likewise to turn the bot back on. Some of the criteria include news, trading volume, my own personal sentiment (can be dangerous), key points of resistance and support, as well as analyzing EMA's across multiple time frames. The main point is to have a predefined reason to do what you do. If you feel your plan needs to be changed that's fine! Just take your time in analyzing why and how you're going to change your plan, and don't change it too often. Rash decisions wipe out accounts.

As referenced throughout this thread, here is Goomboo's EMA crossover strategy thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60501.0
It will provide you with everything you need to know. Spend some time there.
Bitcopia

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:32:56 PM

Miles

The whole Butter Bot started with Goomboo's journal thread.
What I learnt:
- When lower EMA crosses higher higher EMA, buy. Sell for opposite scenario.
- There is no hard and fast rule on EMA value setting. Just choose one that you like. Can be random as well.
- Manage the number of trades to reduce commissions for exchanges and slippage. Recommended trades per month: 8-12.

This is what I personally think:
- Past data serves only as a reference to start you off on the setting values.
- Settings should not be changed often. Change only when market conditions require it.
- Different exchanges may require different settings because of different commissions and volatility. Adjust accordingly.

My plan:
- EMA values not adjusted
- Adjust interval to suit market conditions. No more than 12 trades per month.
- Different intervals for different exchanges

Hope it is useful to you.

Good general synopsis. However, I don't advise random EMAs. Heat-mapping is a useful technique.
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 08:28:53 PM

Updated Starter Settings:

We are issuing the following updated "starter" settings for the current market:

We recommend the following starter settings:

Short EMA: 15    Long EMA: 31
Buy 1: 0    Buy 2: 1
Sell 1: 0    Sell 2: 1
1 hour time window.

Please also make sure to set a tick offset.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
fible1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 08:33:37 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 09:10:12 PM by fible1

Request for Input:

Friends,
  We need your help with our new development project and we would love to hear from you:

1. What trading strategies would you like to see?

2. What trading indicators (or combination thereof) are important to you?

3. What features would you like to see in our next gen bot (settings profiles, etc.)?

We appreciate everyones input and if we could get a discussion going on what you guys think would be core features of our next generation trading bot, that would be great. We want to get as much of the stuff you guys want in there as possible!

Pablo.

Fantastic FREE BOOKS:
NginUS

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 08:48:56 PM

Request for Input:

Friends,
  We need your help with our new development project and we would love to hear from you?

1. What trading strategies would you like to see?

2. What trading indicators (or combination thereof) are important to you?

3. What features would you like to see in our next gen bot (settings profiles, etc.)?

We appreciate everyones input and if we could get a discussion going on what you guys think would be core features of our next generation trading bot, that would be great. We want to get as much of the stuff you guys want in there as possible!

Pablo.

I want to see profit & loss tracking somehow.
Pages: « 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 »
  Print  

Jump to: