Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:57:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 265 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Anoncoin chat thread (including history)  (Read 530469 times)
meeh (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

:)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 12:29:46 PM

i am not happy about the diff retargeting. right now diff is 73 ? who will mine it at this diff?

The diff changes per block. It won't stay at 73 for long. But this happens when much hashpower is pushed to the network within a short time.

By the way, are you gonna launch Anoncoin on https://coinex.pw/ ?

dunderklumpen

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:32:55 PM

i am not happy about the diff retargeting. right now diff is 73 ? who will mine it at this diff?

The diff changes per block. It won't stay at 73 for long. But this happens when much hashpower is pushed to the network within a short time.

This pooljumper/multipool rapeist aggressive retargeting is pure awesomeness, all coins should have it!
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:32:59 PM

People who believe and want to support the network?
FiniteByDesign
Legendary

Activity: 1397
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 12:37:12 PM

Can someone explain this coin to me? I get the darknet thing for privacy, but isn't the dark net created and run by the US govt? Kind of makes this privacy angle void. Also, what is the difficulty algorithm and why has the mining difficulty jumped 2000% in a week? Seems excessive but maybe this is due to additional miners? Just seems the profitability isn't there for miners. Less miners is a dangerous game and leaves a coin susceptible to 51% attack, no? Unless this coin has PoS? Also, is this coin not open source? Would love to look a little closer at the code. Thanks in advance for help addressing these questions.

Edit: I see the difficulty algorithm question was addressed while I was typing. Thanks!

BroTroxer

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 01:08:31 PM

There are still ~50 mh/s that is quite stable in the network that keep on mining throughout the high diffs. The diff jumps fast every time the big hit 'n run miners comes in on low diff. Suggestions on how to effectively deal with these hit 'n run miners would be greatly appreciated as they do mess things up for the users (transactions) and somewhat for other miners.
As for the good news, it only stays high for a couple of blocks (2-4). This rapid diff adjustment behavior almost completely eliminates the possibilities of performing successful 51% attacks.
BroTroxer

Activity: 290

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 01:11:59 PM

Can someone explain this coin to me? I get the darknet thing for privacy, but isn't the dark net created and run by the US govt? Kind of makes this privacy angle void. Also, what is the difficulty algorithm and why has the mining difficulty jumped 2000% in a week? Seems excessive but maybe this is due to additional miners? Just seems the profitability isn't there for miners. Less miners is a dangerous game and leaves a coin susceptible to 51% attack, no? Unless this coin has PoS? Also, is this coin not open source? Would love to look a little closer at the code. Thanks in advance for help addressing these questions.

Edit: I see the difficulty algorithm question was addressed while I was typing. Thanks!

Tor was created by the government for their own use to provide anonymous communications. Probably intended to be used by spies reporting back home. I2P however is community developed without any intervention by governments.
As for your diff question, view post above.
meeh (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 01:28:19 PM

Tor was created by the government for their own use to provide anonymous communications. Probably intended to be used by spies reporting back home. I2P however is community developed without any intervention by governments.

First of all, seems like you have missed some essential information about this coin, like if the coin is open source or not. Please see the first post in this thread.
Anoncoin is of course open source: https://github.com/Anoncoin/anoncoin

The US founds around 60% of Tor's income. And we don't priorities Tor. But a lot of people around here think it's a safe darknet...
Recently researchers wrote in newspapers that NSA could break the 1024bit RSA/DH.

See http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/07/the-nsa-can-read-some-encrypted-tor-traffic/

So, to conclude this: You can run _ANY_ coin which supports a socks proxy over Tor. But you are not safe until Tor upgrade their keys. Also, I don't like the expire time of tunnels Tor creates, they are up for hours. And as far as I know, Tor send both In and Out traffic in the same route.

I've never said Tor was secure, nor that anonymous that most people claims.

However I2P is completely community developed, and has no central authority, like Tor got since the clients bootstraps into hardcoded directory servers.

I'm a developer of I2P myself, and runs some "reseed" nodes. (same as directory servers.)

I2P will also expire it's tunnels after 10min and create new ones with a different route. Also it will not choose peers within the same /16 block for creating a tunnel, making it hard for one ISP to collect enough data to decrypt it. I2P also have a low bit on their keys, but we're in development of a new keysystem.

-------

@FiniteByDesign: If these answers didn't help, try explain what you want me to explain, and I'll do my best Smiley

-------

This is why Anoncoin chooses I2P in front of Tor. And currently is the only coin with support for a "real" darknet.

// Sorry Tor fans, this is just hard facts.

meeh (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 01:35:30 PM

Please read http://i2p2.no/how_networkcomparisons.html to get a general better knowledge about Tor and I2P, and the difference between those networks. Less technical article, most people can understand this.

klee
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 03:22:59 PM

Sorry for the off-topic but do using a VPN + Tor make it any better? Does it make any sense?
meeh (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 03:28:08 PM

Sorry for the off-topic but do using a VPN + Tor make it any better? Does it make any sense?

Hm, not really sorry. Because look at it this way. You have done something that got NSA's attention. They attack Tor and find out you where using a node owned by the "Acme VPN service" (example company). Then they forces the comany to either show data about you, or if that's not possible. Give a list of users signed in to the service while the criminal activity was done.

Then it's just some social engineering left, and you're detected..

The problem with VPN is that it's centralized.. You connect to a central node. Which also logs in most cases. Not saying it logs the traffic. But who signs on etc is sure logged.

gunzeon

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

There's a new king in the streets

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:24:00 PM

Hey, on a lighter note, check this out: ₳

It was the currency character for a deprecated Argentine currency, the Austral. It's been gone for 20 years and they now use something else ( or $US, or BTC )

It's in loads of fonts, alt-8371 on a windows keyboard for ex !

So, if they don't use it anymore, then why not Anoncoin ?

... would be kinda ironic if it caught on  Cheesy

BTC: 1gunzeo8X7iYznsnmgveUQDuRj6vhzyK6 ~~~
klee
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:39:10 PM

It was the currency character for a deprecated Argentine currency, the Austral. It's been gone for 20 years and they now use something else ( or $US, or BTC )

... would be kinda ironic if it caught on  Cheesy
Nice one!
FiniteByDesign
Legendary

Activity: 1397
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 07:28:08 PM

First of all, seems like you have missed some essential information about this coin, like if the coin is open source or not. Please see the first post in this thread.
Anoncoin is of course open source: https://github.com/Anoncoin/anoncoin

The US founds around 60% of Tor's income. And we don't priorities Tor. But a lot of people around here think it's a safe darknet...
Recently researchers wrote in newspapers that NSA could break the 1024bit RSA/DH.

See http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/07/the-nsa-can-read-some-encrypted-tor-traffic/

So, to conclude this: You can run _ANY_ coin which supports a socks proxy over Tor. But you are not safe until Tor upgrade their keys. Also, I don't like the expire time of tunnels Tor creates, they are up for hours. And as far as I know, Tor send both In and Out traffic in the same route.

I've never said Tor was secure, nor that anonymous that most people claims.

However I2P is completely community developed, and has no central authority, like Tor got since the clients bootstraps into hardcoded directory servers.

I'm a developer of I2P myself, and runs some "reseed" nodes. (same as directory servers.)

I2P will also expire it's tunnels after 10min and create new ones with a different route. Also it will not choose peers within the same /16 block for creating a tunnel, making it hard for one ISP to collect enough data to decrypt it. I2P also have a low bit on their keys, but we're in development of a new keysystem.

-------

@FiniteByDesign: If these answers didn't help, try explain what you want me to explain, and I'll do my best Smiley

-------

This is why Anoncoin chooses I2P in front of Tor. And currently is the only coin with support for a "real" darknet.

// Sorry Tor fans, this is just hard facts.

Thank you for the explanation as the darknet is a mystery to me and fortunately I have not had the need to use it. I think you did a great job of addressing my questions, the only remaining one was my question regarding the possible 51% attack vulnerability due to the dramatic difficulty adjustments. Let me try to better explain my question: Say a multipool were to jump onto ANC due to high profitability. The difficulty skyrockets 1000% due to the increase in hash causing the regular/consistent miners to stop mining ANC. Once the multipool has time to realize they are now wasting their efforts due to the drop in profitability, they also drop off and redirect their hash to another coin. Does this leave ANC vulnerable at this point for a 51% attack if one were so inclined? Thank you again for taking the time to address my inquiries - very nice work with ANC Smiley

meeh (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 10:03:19 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2013, 10:30:22 PM by meeh

... would be kinda ironic if it caught on  Cheesy

Awsome!! Thanks  Grin post your address if you use anoncoin and I'll send you some for the tip Smiley

Update http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/20b3/index.htm - html codes etc for use of it Smiley

meeh (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 10:12:37 PM

Thank you for the explanation as the darknet is a mystery to me and fortunately I have not had the need to use it. I think you did a great job of addressing my questions, the only remaining one was my question regarding the possible 51% attack vulnerability due to the dramatic difficulty adjustments. Let me try to better explain my question: Say a multipool were to jump onto ANC due to high profitability. The difficulty skyrockets 1000% due to the increase in hash causing the regular/consistent miners to stop mining ANC. Once the multipool has time to realize they are now wasting their efforts due to the drop in profitability, they also drop off and redirect their hash to another coin. Does this leave ANC vulnerable at this point for a 51% attack if one were so inclined? Thank you again for taking the time to address my inquiries - very nice work with ANC Smiley

Since ANC changes diff for each block, multipool would only mine for just some blocks, max 7-10 before the switch. And people are constantly mining even if multipool has jumped on. So I don't think it's a problem now. But I will check it out more. If we were to do a hardfork again, which we must when introducing zerocoin, we will add PoS as well, so the 51% attack will get a lot harder.

digeros

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 01:29:16 AM

POS would be GREAT  I think that it adds stability to the network although everyone touts that it prevents 51% POW attacks I think that the added stake generation load helps to even out difficulty jumps.  If you implement POS, I personally would like to see a POS system that doesn't generate too much dust but which has an annual interest rate that is interesting enough to motivate people to open their wallets just to receive POS shares (adding stability to the network - why shouldn't they be "paid" a little something).  Perhaps a POS interest rate of 15-25% should be enough to be interesting without being hyperinflationary - remember coins that move do not become part of POS until they have been idle in a wallet 10 days (or whatever). 

Also I would like to see a POS system that prevented dust by gathering up potential POS shares and submitting them to the network on a 3 or 4 hour cycle - this would prevent a lot of interest on interest payments that expand the blockchain without great benefit thus reducing dust...  -digeros

PS. hey ANC people,

anyone interested in having drinks and discussion about cryptocurrencies, i am buying the first pitcher of beer.
http://www.meetup.com/Elk-Grove-ButtonWood-CryptoCurrency-Trading-Discussion/

in Elk Grove, California tonight and weekly about 5 miles south of sacramento.  - digeros
gunzeon

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

There's a new king in the streets

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 07:41:11 AM

Meeh, happy to help: AZmnXoNatznCHpZZ15zZeTkD6XwV8cNQJr

Also, I am struggling with trying to get i2p and ipv4 working and be a bridge. It seems that:
  If my .conf has onlynet=i2p then i2p works fine
  if my .conf has set i2p=1 then ipv4 seems to dominate and i get no i2p connections

In the early stages of my testing i had a dual function status bar appear on the client but now I cannot seem to get it back.
When I had this I got both protocols functioning, at least the i2p appeared there with a connection or 2 occasionally.
Musta obliterated some config somewhere and cannot find any clue as to what it was ...

Can someone out there stick up a good "mixed protocol" .conf ?
One that gives that funky dual purpose status bar ?

many thanks

BTC: 1gunzeo8X7iYznsnmgveUQDuRj6vhzyK6 ~~~
meeh (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 08:50:11 AM

if my .conf has set i2p=1 then ipv4 seems to dominate and i get no i2p connections

In the early stages of my testing i had a dual function status bar appear on the client but now I cannot seem to get it back.
When I had this I got both protocols functioning, at least the i2p appeared there with a connection or 2 occasionally.
Musta obliterated some config somewhere and cannot find any clue as to what it was ...

We know of this, it's a issue found in 0.8 we're working on. That's why I haven't announced new binaries yet. We won't release binaries before such issues are fixed. So people don't have to upgrade all the time  Smiley

meeh (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 08:55:51 AM

POS would be GREAT  I think that it adds stability to the network although everyone touts that it prevents 51% POW attacks I think that the added stake generation load helps to even out difficulty jumps.  If you implement POS, I personally would like to see a POS system that doesn't generate too much dust but which has an annual interest rate that is interesting enough to motivate people to open their wallets just to receive POS shares (adding stability to the network - why shouldn't they be "paid" a little something).  Perhaps a POS interest rate of 15-25% should be enough to be interesting without being hyperinflationary - remember coins that move do not become part of POS until they have been idle in a wallet 10 days (or whatever). 

Also I would like to see a POS system that prevented dust by gathering up potential POS shares and submitting them to the network on a 3 or 4 hour cycle - this would prevent a lot of interest on interest payments that expand the blockchain without great benefit thus reducing dust...  -digeros

PS. hey ANC people,

anyone interested in having drinks and discussion about cryptocurrencies, i am buying the first pitcher of beer.
http://www.meetup.com/Elk-Grove-ButtonWood-CryptoCurrency-Trading-Discussion/

in Elk Grove, California tonight and weekly about 5 miles south of sacramento.  - digeros

First of all, thanks for the feedback! Smiley

And about the beer, I would love to, but currently "stuck" on the other side of the world  Sad

emunebtk

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 07:11:22 PM

Why does https://coinpool.in have so many problems? :/  At this time I am seeing https://anc.usr.io to be really the only stable pool from ANC but still not much love. Where is the rest of the network hash coming from? Solo Mining? Or am I missing some pool out there that I do not know about
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 265 »
  Print  

Jump to: