Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:00:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058405 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:46:27 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 04:16:29 AM by Hunterbunter

Ah ok good to know.

P2Pool only really says "Got new merged mining work!" but who knows what that means or from who. The rest is just pool stats and 'new work for worker!' statements, with a few peer statements. When it finds a block or a miner gets a share it makes an announcement too, but there's very little in the way of merged mining stuff.

I'm finding it very hard to get hash power...few people want to join a small pool, plus a lot of smaller miners are turned off from p2pool because of the low probability of getting a share. I must admit, the 10k daily bonus payout isn't really very much either, what's an attractive figure? 100k? I'd be hard pressed to keep that up for very long...maybe I can try it for a month and spam some ads around. I've found some people are unreasonably hostile when you talk about new mining pools...they want everyone to join the one they're on, I guess.

The pool has found 2 blocks which a miner got a share from, but I think the amount was too small for the pool to get its 1%, unless I'm doing something wrong. I'll switch to 0% for now since that might be a hollow barrier.

Your running multiple chains? So that got new merged minign work could be from other coins? Would be nice to somehow know if its devcoin we're talkin gabout. How will we know that we've mined a block anyway? The pool stats will show with the hash?

Yeah a datadir/chain for each alt-coin...is that what you mean?

Yeah that could be from any of the alt-coins. The only way I think I'm going to tell is if p2pool makes an announcement (not sure if it will), or I get a balance on one of the daemons. If I see 5k from devcoins I'll be happy puppy...could take a bit of time tho.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nibyokwy

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:50:16 AM

I think pblock->vtx.push_back(txNew); "probably" creates a copy of the pointer. and any changes to txNew afterwards are then not reflected, hence why the

pblock->vtx[0].vout[0].nValue = minerValue + nFees;
you are correct. 'vtx' is a vector of CTransaction and these are copied by value, not pointers. Changes to txNew after that push don't get reflected in the copy stored in vtx.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 04:13:52 AM

I heard the devcoin team is making a SMF plugin that allows users to tip each other DVC? Is that true? If yes, then where can I find more info?

Is this true?

Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 04:16:48 AM

I think pblock->vtx.push_back(txNew); "probably" creates a copy of the pointer. and any changes to txNew afterwards are then not reflected, hence why the

pblock->vtx[0].vout[0].nValue = minerValue + nFees;
you are correct. 'vtx' is a vector of CTransaction and these are copied by value, not pointers. Changes to txNew after that push don't get reflected in the copy stored in vtx.

Thank you Sidhujag for catching that and Nibyokwy for confirming it. I corrected the code snippet at:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#create_block

novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 08:08:11 AM

I heard the devcoin team is making a SMF plugin that allows users to tip each other DVC? Is that true? If yes, then where can I find more info?

Is this true?

Perhaps it is the proposed challenge response system for the SMF email capability which you have heard about. The final challenge response system will require a small DVC payment. Other than that nothing comes to mind.

The project bounties are outlined at http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_now in case it is something that may have missed my attention.

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 12:13:01 PM

Using the builtin qt miner set generate=true will do this hopefully? With only one node connected it will be easier to identify issue..

In the QT client we deliberately disabled mining because it caused crashes, something in the QT was not thread-safe it seemed but we did not know enough about QT's threading and such to even figure out what exactly was happening. Since CPU mining was already pretty much obsolete (I thought that recent bitcoin code doesn't even have generate=1 anymore itself?) we just turned off the ability to set generate true figuring people who want to mine would in any case be using the daemon not the GUI.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 12:29:29 PM

No I meant keep everything else except core devcoin features, the reciever share system, block reward and merged-mining were the main differences.

And the difficulty adaptiveness. Pretty much all the merged mined coins switched from bitcoin's difficulty calculations, really the only reason bitcoin itself didn't was bitcoin itself has historically not yet suffered the situation of not being number one in the world in hashing power. Look what DOGE did to Litecoin though, poof litecoin is no longer the highest hashing power chain, it could start to suffer from migratory miners who fly by night following some profitability site's calculations of which cin is most profitable to mine from moment to moment.

Bitcoin devs felt that bitcoin would never face that, so they didn't improve the difficulty adaptiveness. Namecoion, GRouPcoin, DeVCoin, IXCoin, I0Coin and maybe others too all moved to adaptiveness that is more able to recover from fly by night miners. GeistGeld seems to be even more sensitive, it adjusts extremely fast it seems.

Basically Bitcoin is just resting on its laurels, blandly assuming it will always have the most hashing power and never be left in the lurch at a high difficulty like historically happened to namecoin leading to namecoin improving its adaptiveness and other coins then copying namecoin's method (I think).

Nowadays most of the crapcoins of the day all have much faster dapatation of difficulty, it is simply a necessity for any coin that is not reasonably able to assume it is the world's favourite and will never ever have its miners run off leaving it at high difficulty so that it gets "stuck" for weeks or months struggling to slowly grind out blocks hoping to some day week month or year eventually reach its next scheduled difficulty-adjustment.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:56:10 PM

Hello!

I made a business plan involving Devcoins, if this work as expected, it will increase the value of Devcoins because the demand will rise, and the offer of other cryptos will grow, and only using one browser game.

I want to postulate the project as a "Mining Business"

The plan is here: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=thardferr_business_plan

The project itself would take a lot of time, so I propose to give some shares for develop it further (Maybe counting the developer in the Open Source Share list) and some others for keep the project running.

This is eligible for the last six share investment plan bounty.  What is your DVC address?
cdelatorref

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 04:13:15 PM

Hello!

I made a business plan involving Devcoins, if this work as expected, it will increase the value of Devcoins because the demand will rise, and the offer of other cryptos will grow, and only using one browser game.

I want to postulate the project as a "Mining Business"

The plan is here: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=thardferr_business_plan

The project itself would take a lot of time, so I propose to give some shares for develop it further (Maybe counting the developer in the Open Source Share list) and some others for keep the project running.

This is eligible for the last six share investment plan bounty.  What is your DVC address?

Hello! this is my DVC address: 13TRk2LRQuPH926Dq4u1uL63gUvfX5wRN3

TYVM
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:19:42 PM

Do we have some Devtome admins whose job is specifically to help users with technical support issues, or even talk them through things like how to properly format articles, etc.?

I occasionally get asked questions along those lines, and I'm happy to help, but I know my responses aren't in the most timely fashion. It would seem to me that an admin (more than one for sure!) who already spends a lot of time on the forum, reading messages, and so forth, might be better suited to handle new user support requests.

If this is already covered, please post who the admins are so that I can forward on any such requests to them.

Edit: Actually, is there a Devtome page with an updated list of admins and what each one does along with their forum ID? If so, please post this too and let's add it to the writer's guide section. If not, I'll volunteer to write it
bit-fxtrader

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:34:56 PM

Hey, since I wasn't included in payment round 32 for devtome, what happens to 24,000 words I already posted this round? My last article was posted about 1 day before the deadline. Do I have a fresh 50k limit for this round or will the 24k overflow in my word limit for round 33 and I only have 26k left?

Another question. Smeagol said that he included me in the list for a 6 share financial writing bounty. Does this stand or will it too be delayed until round 33?

Thanks.

Re the questions on my report, I will link a few examples here once I start it up. Taking a small break at the moment.

Here are my qs from yesterday again, sorry for the bump post got buried by bunch of posts on the devcoin client.

Wiser, that's a great idea. Everyone is busy with their projects and there's no one to answer simple qs like these. Maybe offer 5-10 shares for customer support on the forum?

nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 05:49:53 PM

Is this true?

Perhaps it is the proposed challenge response system for the SMF email capability which you have heard about. The final challenge response system will require a small DVC payment. Other than that nothing comes to mind.

The project bounties are outlined at http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_now in case it is something that may have missed my attention.

- Nova

So it is a bounty? In that case do you know anyone who is making it?

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:51:18 PM

Using the builtin qt miner set generate=true will do this hopefully? With only one node connected it will be easier to identify issue..

In the QT client we deliberately disabled mining because it caused crashes, something in the QT was not thread-safe it seemed but we did not know enough about QT's threading and such to even figure out what exactly was happening. Since CPU mining was already pretty much obsolete (I thought that recent bitcoin code doesn't even have generate=1 anymore itself?) we just turned off the ability to set generate true figuring people who want to mine would in any case be using the daemon not the GUI.

-MarkM-

The old client was using wxWidgets maybe thats why it was crashing.. I just needed it to test that I can create blocks on a network and broadcast them.  

On the diff algorithm it seems to be wasted cycles to me.. im sure there is a better algo using a shorter local proxima to achieve close resultd without sacrificing so many cpu cycles.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 06:26:00 PM

I just signed up some more writers. If I missed you, please feel free to message me again. Any requests sent to me today will get processed tomorrow.

Happy writing, everyone Smiley
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:09:06 PM

Do we have some Devtome admins whose job is specifically to help users with technical support issues, or even talk them through things like how to properly format articles, etc.?

I occasionally get asked questions along those lines, and I'm happy to help, but I know my responses aren't in the most timely fashion. It would seem to me that an admin (more than one for sure!) who already spends a lot of time on the forum, reading messages, and so forth, might be better suited to handle new user support requests.

If this is already covered, please post who the admins are so that I can forward on any such requests to them.

Edit: Actually, is there a Devtome page with an updated list of admins and what each one does along with their forum ID? If so, please post this too and let's add it to the writer's guide section. If not, I'll volunteer to write it
I think it's just something all admins do? I get quite a few queries from more than one forum. I'm also cool with helping but that's on top of devtome building up to 30-60 mins per day categorising/filing and article issues. This is way too much and I can't keep doing it, so would appreciate one or more extra admins.

Don't think there's a devtome page, but the account file lists admins.

bit-fxtrader: It rolls, so if your writings weren't included in last round the current one becomes your first with a 50k limit. But the limit is a (pre-rating adjusted) payout limit, not word limit. You can write as much you like, the word rolls carry forward.
eeh

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:19:58 PM

I offer my assistance also. It would require the article you mention to help clarify the functions/roles of the different admins, imo.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:04:43 PM

I think it would be a good idea to have specific admins for writer support if they don't already exist. An alternative would be to have people sign up for certain times where they would be "on call" to handle any support requests as soon as possible.

What is the role of the earnings admin, exactly? I'm wondering if some of this isn't covered by those admins. I'm referring to support with people figuring out the proper syntax, how to set up their invoice page, wanting someone to have a look-see at one of their articles to make sure it's all good, etc.

Actual technical support, as in something is broken, is actually beyond my capability.

weisoq, did the amount of allowed writing shares per round go down to 50? When did this happen?
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:07:48 PM

I offer my assistance also. It would require the article you mention to help clarify the functions/roles of the different admins, imo.

Apologies for the double post. I will be happy to write this article as long as it hasn't already been written and as long as I can contact all the admins to get their feedback on what they do.  Perhaps I could ask everyone to send me a job description and then compile that and invoice it under "collated." How does that sound?

EDIT: or better yet, create the page with a headline for each admin and ask them to complete their job description, then I rearrange order to have a logical flow. And I don't necessarily need to invoice the page at all since it would be a total community effort.

Thoughts?
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:51:06 PM

Do we have some Devtome admins whose job is specifically to help users with technical support issues

If they are using Windows, ask them to contact K1773R, if they're using Linux, ask them to contact Emfox.

, or even talk them through things like how to properly format articles, etc.?

There's no admin for that, there's a style section:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=earn_devcoins_by_writing#style

and there the syntax page:
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=wiki:syntax

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:56:43 PM

I think it would be a good idea to have specific admins for writer support if they don't already exist. An alternative would be to have people sign up for certain times where they would be "on call" to handle any support requests as soon as possible.

What is the role of the earnings admin, exactly? I'm wondering if some of this isn't covered by those admins. I'm referring to support with people figuring out the proper syntax, how to set up their invoice page, wanting someone to have a look-see at one of their articles to make sure it's all good, etc.

Actual technical support, as in something is broken, is actually beyond my capability.

weisoq, did the amount of allowed writing shares per round go down to 50? When did this happen?
Guess there's a lot of cross coverage for everybody. For example because I have to at least skim read articles to categorise and file I also forward dodgy or problem issues to article admins. If writers are making things harder by not listing on front page I at least ask them to do so. And if writers or anyone else asks for help I help them.

I don't have a problem with any of that, only the time it takes and then when efforts are not reciprocated. I'm not sure what an earnings admin does.

50 - from round 31: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?&topic=233997.msg4053035#msg4053035
You didn't know? I even quoted your previously discussed article. It doesn't make much practical difference anyway because it was an effort (mostly by me to be honest) to at least keep payments in line with 80 when bounded multipliers were incorporated. So it means good writers can still get max 75 (50 * 1.5), other writers less.
Pages: « 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: