Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:26:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 04:30:40 PM

The price is constantly dropping. 350k USD as market cap? Three years of work equivalent to 680 Bitcoin?
Unless you make something serious to get DVC known, involving the public, you will continually assist to a deadly decline.
What is more sad, I really believed something good could have been achieved through this project.
But you have failed in getting no-profit organisations involved, using them as traction to the project itself.

You are so busy in rewarding writers, when much more could have been accomplished. Imagine to support any kind of art and humanitarian project, asking receivers to expose the dvc logo. They would be the first to promote the use of dvc, since it would mean more support and value to their coins.

Can you imagine someone receiving devcoin for painting, assisting elderly ones, helping youths in developing countries, etc.? Writing is just a minor aspect.

"Devcoin is an ethically inspired cryptocurrency"

Ethical: 'fair, and just dealing with people...'

DVC will be ethical when it will really strive to give to anybody the same opportunity to be supported in their art, in developing a social project, in expressing their creativity.
Since DVC has limited itself mainly to programmers and writers, that't why it's sinking.

I've just taken the reigns from UTB, and I assure you I'm working to address many of these issues.

A distinction has to be made, though, that devcoins are not a charity, but rather a vessel for encouraging works to be released for the general public good.

Initially devcoins were centered around open source software only - that's where the 'dev' comes from, short for developers. It was eventually realized, however, that the spirit of creative commons licensing was almost identical to the spirit of open source software. eg: "A Creative Commons (CC) license is one of several public copyright licenses that enable the free distribution of an otherwise copyrighted work. A CC license is used when an author wants to give people the right to share, use, and build upon a work that they have created."

If people were willing to give others the right to share, use and build upon their writing, art, music the same way that open source developers do, then it is reasonable to include those under our umbrella. This is different to one-to-one charity work, because of the scale. OS/CC helps everyone on Earth equally, whether they make use of it or not, and that will remain the focus of devcoins (seriously, it's huge as it is). So far we've got a basic system of OS development support, and now have writing support. Aural and Visual support will be implemented over the coming year or two.

Ultimately, devcoins, just like bitcoins, only have a value the free market attribute to it. They're both just secure distributed ledgers at heart, with different generation algorithms. Anyone can completely ignore the dvc/btc price and simply code/write for the public good, and get devcoins for it, and they could be worthless. Some people actually do that, and don't care about the price. The free market decides the price for that free to share and reuse work, and even at the current price, it has decided that it's not worthless. While there are tricks we can perform to increase the attractiveness of the coin to speculators, they're all counter-productive to our actual mission: proliferating open source development and arts under creative commons licensing. It's not a problem with writers earning too much, because if devtome had never existed, there would have just been more OS software being released through bounties and that would still have driven the price down. It's a transaction coin, not a value storage coin. The transaction is between people doing work (earning shares), and the general public who like what they do for the greater good, and pay them for it by buying dvc. Understand this, and you'll understand the devcoin price; any big price rise/fall are part of a pump/dump that the administrators have no control over, although the benefit it brings is that we have a greater output of work during that time. There is still potential for massive wide-scale adoption of devcoins as a transaction coin, but even if that was the case, it absolutely won't guarantee a higher price, only more transactions (and likely more people getting paid for os/cc work with a cryptocurrency).

My work over the next few months is rebalancing the OS/CC output, so it's not just 100% writing and nothing else. The actual value writers, developers, and artists place on the devcoins they receive are entirely up to them. The administration can only provide the rules for earning devcoins, not the rules for when people should or shouldn't buy devcoins with btc on the free market. That is completely out of our control. Granted, with more eyes on the project the more likely investment will come, but that will always simply increase production output rather than increase the price over time. The project will always provide the cheapest way of adding content to the OS/CC cloud of work out there, and that's our huge value to the world. The only people who should be buying devcoins long term, are those who wish to see more open source code and creative commons art released. Speculation on the price is still possible, and even welcome, but people have to understand devcoins are fundamentally different to bitcoins in this way. It's not a value due to scarcity coin, but a create more os and cc coin. Any money you put in, will be converted into open source or creative commons work.

It's brutal watching the trials and tribulations of DVC and the continual wheel spin associated with the project.

When taking a look at the one year performance...

http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/period-charts.php?period=1-year&resolution=day&pair=dvc-btc&market=vircurex

... it's been difficult to see if initiatives are actually valiant attempts to raise the currency from its tending towards zero trajectory or whether those actions were artful maneuvers cleverly concealing pump and dump activities.

It will trend towards zero but will never hit it; the production of os/cc work (shares) is self-managed by the earners themselves. Less work gets done the lower the price is, and there are always people who do it just because they love it (and don't need the money).

Pump and dump schemes are largely out of our control. When the price goes up, the number of earners we get increases and drives it down.

There's a distortion in that chart, by the way, that you need to consider. BTC has gone up 5-10 fold during that time period too. You should be looking at a dvc/usd chart:

http://dvcusdchart.blisteringdevelopers.com/daily

If 1 btc was worth $120 today, which is what it was a year ago, 1 dvc would be worth about 40 satoshis right now, so only 10% down over the year.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 06:30:37 AM

sounds great! a quiet supporter!

serejandmyself

Activity: 1203
Merit: 508

Manager of looking busy #citizencosmos

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 01:29:50 PM

So, when is the revival? Kidding ))) When are we hitting 100 satoshis again?

Game of Links

cyber~license©
RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 03:29:53 PM

I have posted this in a couple formums struggling with featurs, changes, etc. Perhaps you will agree, perhaps you will not but, something to think about...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the subject of features and such, I really think there are only two things we should be concentrating on:

1. Acceptance
2. Usage

Lets be real, if you and I agree that the dog pooh on the bottom of my shoe is worth $1000.00 USD than, it IS worth $1000.00 to you, and I. I can then "spend" that dog pooh with you and buy whatever you are selling up to the agreed upon figure.

Period.

That's what it is all about, not anon, not messaging, not all the other crap being added to coins with the one exception of interest (staking) since that makes my dog pooh worth more to those who accept it as payment.

Acceptance is the first hurdle, and the hardest to jump over. After that, after convincing the public they can buy things with crypto-currency, then you need to convince them xxxxxxxx is the best one to use which equals Usage.

Acceptance then, usage, period. The public doesn't care nor do they even know why they would want additional "features" You can't make a phone call with a dollar or Euro but, you can spend it to do so. These currencies have survived for years in their current, vastly imperfect form. Think about it, money needs to be spendable. A large group of people need to believe that their money has value.

That's all it takes, let's work on that....

BTW: After 1 & 2 have been achieved, then, and only then, should features be added. I believe the thinking is backward right now using features to be noticed only works on "cryptoheads" not John Q Public who has no idea why he needs his money to do anything but perhaps grow...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't really have re-invent the wheel, just make more people want to use it for it's intended purpose....

EDIT: Please understand, "cryptoheads" is used as a term of endearment, since I am one, not a slur...  Smiley

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
Hunterbunter

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:57:24 AM

Ok, I've got a draft ready for the proposal. Posted it on devtome because it's fairly long:

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_division_proposal

Summary and general discussion thread here: http://coinzen.org/index.php/topic,1087.msg34924.html#msg34924

If you can't access coinzen for whatever reason, feel free to post here.
serejandmyself

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 01:17:50 PM

Ok, I've got a draft ready for the proposal. Posted it on devtome because it's fairly long:

Summary and general discussion thread here: http://coinzen.org/index.php/topic,1087.msg34924.html#msg34924

good work! bottom line in your work is :

Ultimately, I believe we have lost a lot of investor

I think we should post here, not on other forums. Ill explain why. Posting and developing a devcoin forum is great but you have to show the crypto community that this coin is alive and kicking. This coin has to be interesting for people to invest for. The community has to be more lively. In times where you have bitcoin 2.0 and things like bitshares - there is a max of 2 posts per day here... need to live it up

Game of Links

cyber~license©
fishy

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

What do you call a fish with no eyes? A Fsh!

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 10:28:22 PM

Devcoin was the first bitcoin 2.0  Grin

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Hunterbunter

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:46:54 AM

I think we should post here, not on other forums. Ill explain why. Posting and developing a devcoin forum is great but you have to show the crypto community that this coin is alive and kicking. This coin has to be interesting for people to invest for. The community has to be more lively. In times where you have bitcoin 2.0 and things like bitshares - there is a max of 2 posts per day here... need to live it up

I agree, this thread is our main connection to the broader crypto-community, and we certainly want to keep this connection alive.

The response has been fairly positive about the proposal, so I'm feeling encouraged. The summary for those who want a tl;dr version is this:

From round 43, divisions will be implemented within the general share structure. Each category of shares now earns division shares, and at the end of the round, each division is normalized against the highest producing division. This makes under-performing disciplines (eg Open Source Development) more attractive than over-producing ones during a round. Each division is still free to find the cheapest price per share of work.

Community fund to be established, performing duties such as: market support, micro business incubator, restricting supply of coins to market to help price recover, saving for larger software purchases and providing a place for incubation equity dividends to be managed.

Aural and Visual the new divisions, but 100% of share income will go to the new community fund until those divisions are established.

Devcoin market fund (subset of community fund), will provide market support to reduce exchange risk to devcoin earners, and ensure a better long term pay.
serejandmyself

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 06:10:21 AM

I agree, this thread is our main connection to the broader crypto-community, and we certainly want to keep this connection alive.

The response has been fairly positive about the proposal, so I'm feeling encouraged. The summary for those who want a tl;dr version is this:

From round 43, divisions will be implemented within the general share structure. Each category of shares now earns division shares, and at the end of the round, each division is normalized against the highest producing division. This makes under-performing disciplines (eg Open Source Development) more attractive than over-producing ones during a round. Each division is still free to find the cheapest price per share of work.

Community fund to be established, performing duties such as: market support, micro business incubator, restricting supply of coins to market to help price recover, saving for larger software purchases and providing a place for incubation equity dividends to be managed.

Aural and Visual the new divisions, but 100% of share income will go to the new community fund until those divisions are established.

Devcoin market fund (subset of community fund), will provide market support to reduce exchange risk to devcoin earners, and ensure a better long term pay.

Interesting. I aslo think that its time the devcoin core team updated their website... i mean in a polite manner its horrible )))) (sorry) but its true. I am a devcoin believer from almost day one, and i dont just say it. Id offer to do it for free, unfortunatly im a trader - isnt there anyone out here in the community that can do it?

Game of Links

cyber~license©
weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:38:35 AM

Which website do you mean?
serejandmyself

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 02:49:10 PM

Which website do you mean?

http://devcoin.org/

Game of Links

cyber~license©
marcoman22

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 02:58:56 PM

the it should have much more value than any other altcoin.
NOjust

Activity: 318

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 02:59:56 PM

still live ,dvc?
so old coins? Grin

NOjust

Activity: 318

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 03:00:57 PM

the it should have much more value than any other altcoin.
any new plan of the dvc?
long time away from dvc.

weisoq

Activity: 720

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

What's wrong with it, horrible relative to what? I'm not a developer either, but quite like it. Think it needs to be seen as a frontpage for info and on what are effectively sub projects (devtome, forum, news etc).
georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 06:42:48 PM

What's wrong with it, horrible relative to what? I'm not a developer either, but quite like it. Think it needs to be seen as a frontpage for info and on what are effectively sub projects (devtome, forum, news etc).

Website is ok. Maybe needs more content, but nothing wrong with the design.

profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 06:51:01 PM

Website is ok. Maybe needs more content, but nothing wrong with the design.

Needs more info but the design is good, I agree.
serejandmyself

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 07:08:53 PM

Well we can agree what we like - i like the design too, but its just not modern enough - look at bitshares, counterparty, vericoin, cloakcoin, storj, syscoin - those are all very well developed coins that have very good sites. Devcoin must have new life breathed in it if we want it to go on. I personally do, thats why i raise this issue. Its not all about the webiste though, no need to hang on it. But id say its a good start to show people we are moving with time. New technologies are in market now and devcoin has its own special value in the market, but i say its not bieng very modern today. In fact almost no one knows that devtome is to do with devcoin, which is ashame. You cant say things are well when 24 hour cap is less than a 1000 bucks

Game of Links

cyber~license©
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 05:24:07 AM

well smart money is all accumulating right now as you should be, so as price rises developers will come in and do a design for a bounty. That is the core benefit of devcoin over any other alt coin.
serejandmyself

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 08:26:08 AM

well smart money is all accumulating right now as you should be, so as price rises developers will come in and do a design for a bounty. That is the core benefit of devcoin over any other alt coin.

Agreed... Im just trying to liven up this topic with some discussion. You know i read somethign very obvious but clever on bitsharestalk today. "...if nobody use it , it means nothing...." So true....

Game of Links

cyber~license©
Pages: « 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: