Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:02:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722547 times)
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:13:29 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2014, 09:29:04 AM by coins101

I dont hold DRK so can be objective here... And this is how I see it...

I thought DRK was another pump and dump... Waited and waited for the bubble to pop and it didn't / hasn't.. Read more and more about the coin, liked it more and more, and I may now grab some... I am kicking myself as I should have done more research but was put off the coin by some of the comments in the VTC thread...

I am watching DRK for weeks now and build up a base of coins over that time. It was my second favourite after VTC. After loosing a lot of money on LTC i finally decided to cut my LTC loss and switched a quarter of them to DRK.

After it begun too rise from 130K to 200K the first time i begun to feel thinking  it is more worth to hold DRK than BTC.
The next step was trying to build up my DRK by daytrading. On the run to 640K i lost around 86 DRK i wasn´t able to buy back on a bigger loss.
Finally i transfered now all my drk from mint and cryptsy to my wallet, stored into wallet.dat, took it on serveral medium and places and
only follow this now from the sideline. I have not the skills to run a masternode and that´s the only reason why i did not fill up my wallet finally up to 1000 DRK.  

I thought this might happen.

Edit -

I did suggest an IPO a few hundred pages back for a master node as a service offering; Evan suggested a kind of fractional ownership a few pages back.

Clearly we need an element of trust between someone with the technical skills to set-up and manage a master node and those with DRK to invest. The trust bit causes all sorts of problems, and asking someone to run a master nodes is time consuming and therefore adds to the cost.

I'll have a think about some options to get over this.
thefrog

Activity: 393
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:17:19 AM

p2pool node
0 % Fee
HiddenDark

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:20:43 AM

What coins do you refer to here as being technologically superior to Bitcoin? I know that there are lots of coins out there with features like smart contracts, POS, smart property etc., and some of them may succeed. The main difference between them and DRK, is that DRK has just focused on improving one feature people already like about Bitcoin, anonymity, and it works right now.

Peercoin was the first major 'revision'. It had an an economic model which was thought through and much more focused on a particular role - i.e. being financial 'backbone'. This was reinforced by its high transaction fees and hybrid algo.

Then there were improvements in the algos themselves - Asic resistence, multi algo, service layers, efficiency and retargeting revisions, gravity wells etc.

What I'm saying is that having the most advanced technology isn't what gets a coin its valuation. Being seen as an 'original' certainly would appear to contribute and that's probably where DRK is strong.

Ok so on paper Peercoin might be have some better features, but why should I use it instead of Bitcoin? What does it offer me? I really don't know, even though I've known about it for ages I've never read anything or had someone try and convince me to use it. Most people like me (not a trader) have no interest in Peercoin, so I'd reason that it is traders who are keeping the price up.

Darkcoin on the other hand, I could see why I should use it straight away, anonymous transactions. That is DRK's killer feature. Anonymous transactions is a feature which is very desirable, and will mean that people who aren't interested in trading also enter the currency to actually use it as a currency.

Beginner’s Guide to Darkcoin www.darkcoinguide.us
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:32:15 AM

Darkcoin on the other hand, I could see why I should use it straight away, anonymous transactions. That is DRK's killer feature. Anonymous transactions is a feature which is very desirable, and will mean that people who aren't interested in trading also enter the currency to actually use it as a currency.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=579976.msg6335710#msg6335710

Survey still running for now.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:49:02 AM

Ok so on paper Peercoin might be have some better features, but why should I use it instead of Bitcoin?

You probably wouldn't use it but the crypto-economy in general would use it to make small numbers of extremely large monetary transfers.

That's what it was designed for. To be a monetary backbone - and before you say "why can't I just use Bitcoin for that", it gets technical and has some economics criteria thrown in. Suffice to say, it's one of the coins that had a lot of thought put into the role it would adopt in the crypto-economy.

Have a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynwz8H66chY

That is now almost a year old and Peercoin is STILL in the top 4 marketcap coins. That is amazing and is not due to being "kept up there by traders".. If DRK can do that in a year's time it will be in with a high chance of being here for good.
dotnetmin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:52:37 AM

I thought DRK was another pump and dump... Waited and waited for the bubble to pop and it didn't / hasn't.. Read more and more about the coin, liked it more and more, and I may now grab some... I am kicking myself as I should have done more research but was put off the coin by some of the comments in the VTC thread...

I am watching DRK for weeks now and build up a base of coins over that time. It was my second favourite after VTC. After loosing a lot of money on LTC i finally decided to cut my LTC loss and switched a quarter of them to DRK.

After it begun too rise from 130K to 200K the first time i begun to feel thinking  it is more worth to hold DRK than BTC.
The next step was trying to build up my DRK by daytrading. On the run to 640K i lost around 86 DRK i wasn´t able to buy back on a bigger loss.
Finally i transfered now all my drk from mint and cryptsy to my wallet, stored into wallet.dat, took it on serveral medium and places and
only follow this now from the sideline. I have not the skills to run a masternode and that´s the only reason why i did not fill up my wallet finally up to 1000 DRK.  

Edit -

I did suggest an IPO a few hundred pages back for a master node as a service offering; Evan suggested a kind of fractional ownership a few pages back.

Clearly we need an element of trust between someone with the technical skills to set-up and manage a master node and those with DRK to invest. The trust bit causes all sorts of problems, and asking someone to run a master nodes is time consuming and therefore adds to the cost.

Yes, trust a third party is main thing here. Momentary a masternode has worth DRK of 14BTC which is around 6.5K$
Evan had the idea maybe somone make a service that looks like a pool that collect 1000 DRK from users to set up a masternode
and shares the profit to users and get paid a fee for the service.
First i thought, wow great - but thinking about it for a while i change my mind in thinking about scam and it´s too risky in danger of loose DRK for a profit.

Way to solve this could be a image like BAMT. I would also be willing to pay a fee of my profit for such a service.
HiddenDark

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:54:23 AM

Ok so on paper Peercoin might be have some better features, but why should I use it instead of Bitcoin?

You probably wouldn't use it but the crypto-economy in general would use it to make small numbers of extremely large monetary transfers.

That's what it was designed for. To be a monetary backbone - and before you say "why can't I just use Bitcoin for that", it gets technical and has some economics criteria thrown in. Suffice to say, it's one of the coins that had a lot of thought put into the role it would adopt in the crypto-economy.

Have a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynwz8H66chY

That is now almost a year old and Peercoin is STILL in the top 4 marketcap coins. That is amazing and is not due to being "kept up there by traders".. If DRK can do that in a year's time it will be in with a high chance of being here for good.

It might have some value and some use cases where it beats other cryptos, but if we are talking about driving the price, the only this to do that is mass adoption. DRK has a feature that can drive mass adoption (when I say mass adoption, I still see it as being behind BTC for quite a while, if not forever).

GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:57:25 AM

This here a cry for help... WTF ?!  Huh

Cannot get my MN on mainnet to be "active" on the list, despite starting perfect and following procedures to the letter! I've been on testnet for 2 weeks now, so I know the ins and outs quite well... I am stumped.

Pleeeeease, someone solve this for me as I am leaving friday for 3 work days Sad Sad Sad

Quote from: yidakee, post: 4399, member: 336
Ok, status report so far.

have 2 VM with Ubuntu doing local wallets to amazon EC2. Re-read Evan's procedure, Minotaur's recommendation, and even tried Propulsion's way (though it does not seem correct dude!)

One is Singapore, the Other North Virginia,

All versions 10.8.6

- Stopped all daemons local / remote
- Went to config files and deleted all nodes I had from testnet etc except = 23.23.186.131
- flagged masternode = 0 and delete previous masternodeprivkey - saved conf
- ran darkcoind, then darkcoind masternode genkey (on each side, local / server)
- stopped daemons
- nano darkcoin.conf and added each brand new key to each it own (local and remote)
- flagged masternode=1 on each side local/remote
- saved conf file.
- deleted peers.dat on both sides as well.

- Started remote with only "darkcoind" ... masternode count = 43
- Started local, as usual   darkcoind -masternodeaddr:xx.xx.xx.xx:9999
- unlock wallet
- darkcoind masternode start - successfull !!  (remote count jumps to 44, but local reports 48)

I try  - darkcoind masternode list | grep '77' - to find my MN, no show.
What the heck am I doing wrong ?!

Local sees 48 nodes, server (singapore) sees 44.

EDIT: Just restarted my other MN (north virginia) checking the procedures, both local and server count 49 active nodes - so I guess maybe that was me?... though I still cannot see myself on the list
paradice

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:05:37 AM

BRAND NEW darkcoin dice game

http://dark.paradice.cc/

check it out!

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:06:38 AM

Edit -

Yes, trust a third party is main thing here. Momentary a masternode has worth DRK of 14BTC which is around 6.5K$
Evan had the idea maybe somone make a service that looks like a pool that collect 1000 DRK from users to set up a masternode
First i thought, wow great - but thinking about it for a while i change my mind in thinking about scam and it´s too risky in danger of loose DRK for a profit.

Way to solve this could be a image like BAMT. I would also be willing to pay a fee of my profit for such a service.

That's why I thought an IPO might work. One entity with an incentive to operate master nodes and collect a share of the profit. The more master nodes, distributed, the more profit share and dividends to everyone. It needs scale to be worth while, so an IPO would not get off unless the books where filled.

My main concern with an IPO is that it is now a regulated activity, especially if anyone from the US takes up an offer http://investor.gov/news-alerts/investor-alerts/investor-alert-bitcoin-other-virtual-currency-related-investments#.U3x7PvldWCn

You don't have to do anything criminal such as stealing money, just not making the right applications to the right authorities before you start gets you in trouble. Living in the UK, extradition takes 5 minutes and a few emails.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:07:39 AM

It might have some value and some use cases where it beats other cryptos, but if we are talking about driving the price, the only this to do that is mass adoption. DRK has a feature that can drive mass adoption (when I say mass adoption, I still see it as being behind BTC for quite a while, if not forever).

I would agree that DRK "has a feature that can drive mass adoption". It certainly fills a gaping hole in the Bitcoin feature set.

All I'm saying is that the price speculation that gets banded about on here is delusional and dangerous. The reason it's dangerous is:

[1] - it leads to misplaced expectations, which is probably the number 1 destroyer of crypto-asset valuation at the moment (See Blackcoin)

[2] - it's baseless. The people making these price predictions have basically no idea why the price might reach that level. I've just given you an example of one of the most successful coins in the history of alts that didn't add much to its valuation over a year despite its success. Remember, to go up in valuation (measured in BTC) the asset needs to be a better investment than BITCOIN, not the US dollar. That is a very tall order and most of DRK's unique qualities are now already priced in by the market. It's only going to get less unique from here as more "anonymous alts" come on the scene. The future price evolution is ambiguous at best

We've just gone through a 1000% price increase in the space of a few days. What needs to happen now is a refuelling period.

What that means a lot of product development, consolidation, adoption and promotion WITHOUT an associated increase in the valuation. That will allow the current price to consolidate and in 3-6 months time, the new fundamentals can form a proper basis for a revised price increase against BTC. Otherwise it's a bubble and disappointment awaits.

Let Bitcoin do the work on the $US Dollar front in the meantime.

Donho

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:08:59 AM

MASTERNODE WITH COLD WALLET DOES WORK

I just confirmed that all of my nodes are showing on the http://darkcoin.io/masternodes.txt
I didnt even restart them, it seems like as Evan said we just needed to be patient and wait for the network to sync. This also means that the local/remote wallet setup does work. In my case I do it with two privkeys, the one generated on the server I place on the server darkcoin.conf and the one generated locally I place on the local darkcoin.conf.  The rest of the steps are the same as before and you can find information on darkcointalk.org.  Cheers!

How long have you had them up? Mine were listed for about 2 hours and then disappeared. I restarted both of them as Evan suggested - still not listed anywhere. Will wait and see what happens I guess.

At the moment of my message they were all there. Right now, some show, some don't. Based on what I have seen today I am not going to do anything, just wait for the network to sync and check again tomorrow.

OK checked again, now the ones that werent showing are showing again, and I didn't do anything. Conclusion, the count and the masternode list are going to take some time to stabilize. If your node is not showing and it was showing before just check again later. I don't think there is anything wrong, we just need to wait. At least that has been my experience.

EDIT: If you are not in version 0.10.8.6 or 0.9.4.6 please update!

UPDATE

Version 9.4.6 and 10.8.6

Another improvement to help the network sync. After most of us update, we should start to see network consensus.

Source code:
    https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin

Stable version (v0.9.4.6):
    http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/darkcoind
    http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/darkcoin-qt
    http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/darkcoin-qt.exe

RC2 (v0.10.8.6):
    http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoind
    http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoin-qt
    http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoin-qt.exe

salmion

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:15:26 AM

Edit -

It would work if you didn't transfer your coins to the "pool"
So effectively if you could "stake" coins to the pool from your wallet. You don't leave your coins on your masternode so I don't see why you'd have to leave them on the pool. Effectively you'd just have to sign your contribution to master node service... my 2 duffs
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:17:12 AM

If this if it happens should be a third party thing, no need for Evan to get involved. (Not sure if you were suggesting he should, just my opinion.)

I think it remains to be seen though just how profitable masternodes will be, and because it's a moving target due to changing masternode count, block reward etc. it's going to remain difficult to predict, though things might find a bit of equilibrium in a month or two.

I can see a number of uses for masternodes but the core should remain Darksend, depending on how ring sigs impact that, and what else the boss has planned.

Thought just popped into my head (it happens now and then) - Evan kind of reminds me of Derren Brown.  Undecided  Grin
LOVELTE

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:19:14 AM

DRK is MOST talk able coin @ this forums. Grin
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:26:04 AM

What that means a lot of product development, consolidation, adoption and promotion WITHOUT an associated increase in the valuation. That will allow the current price to consolidate and in 3-6 months time, the new fundamentals can form a proper basis for a revised price increase against BTC. Otherwise it's a bubble and disappointment awaits.

Coin-number-adjusted, for 10mn coins, BTC would be like 630$ per coin and DRK at 3$ per coin. That's 210x in terms of price and marketcap.

I don't know how a 210x can already be considered to have factored-in that a lot of transactions will be conducted anonymously / privately. For this to happen DRK should have far higher price.

The price rise must stabilize to the new levels - on that we agree, however if a coin was delivering, had mass adoption etc - it would be too late for investors to buy. You buy before these things when the coin is undervalued and has potential for growth. The sync between real life value and price is rarely the case on speculatory markets.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:33:56 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2014, 10:44:49 AM by thelonecrouton

I would agree that DRK "has a feature that can drive mass adoption". It certainly fills a gaping hole in the Bitcoin feature set.

All I'm saying is that the price speculation that gets banded about on here is delusional and dangerous. The reason it's dangerous is:

[1] - it leads to misplaced expectations, which is probably the number 1 destroyer of crypto-asset valuation at the moment (See Blackcoin)

[2] - it's baseless. The people making these price predictions have basically no idea why the price might reach that level. I've just given you an example of one of the most successful coins in the history of alts that didn't add much to its valuation over a year despite its success. Remember, to go up in valuation (measured in BTC) the asset needs to be a better investment than BITCOIN, not the US dollar. That is a very tall order and most of DRK's unique qualities are now already priced in by the market. It's only going to get less unique from here as more "anonymous alts" come on the scene. The future price evolution is ambiguous at best

We've just gone through a 1000% price increase in the space of a few days. What needs to happen now is a refuelling period.

Some counterpoints:

BC was, is, and always will be worthless in the real world. BC was a tool for separating idiots from their BTC. The idiots misplaced expectations just served the purpose of the people behind BC. The number 1 destroyer of crypto asset valuation is the fact that 99% of them are obvious garbage.

Saying other peoples estimates of future DRK price are baseless is a bit hypocritical coming from a chart witch who's posted voodoo nonsense umpteen times about where the price is going. I'll take real world experience WRT price over squiggly lines any day of the week.

Darkcoins unique qualities are now priced into the market huh? How the fuck do you know that?

Nothing "needs" to happen, or needs to be "allowed" to happen, que sera sera. Look at the market - big money is starting to put up, only the ADD kiddies are selling. And the price is only as low as it is because a whole lot of effort is being expended by the big players to keep it that way while they acquire even more. At some point very soon I think the chocks will come off...

Smiley
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:34:01 AM

I don't know how a 210x can already be considered to have factored-in that a lot of transactions will be conducted anonymously / privately

I do.

It's because 5 years of technical evolution, promotion, being battered to death in the media spotlight and surviving, having ETF's being applied for and slowly making their 2 year journey through the regulators and being seen to have "the end in sight", has umpteen GH/s of hashing power on it and a huge worldwide infrastructure supporting merchants.....(on and on)... trumps a 4 month old piece of code that's reproducible and made by a couple of guys in their spare time by about 200%.

HiddenDark

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:36:38 AM

I agree a lot of the price talk is delusional at present. I could see it going up 3x or 4x in the next couple of months, but 1000% again would be unlikely (it would put DRK bigger than Litecoin).

As for the long run I really don't know, although I see it possibly passing BTC (over several years), I can also see it going to 0.

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:42:24 AM

I don't know how a 210x can already be considered to have factored-in that a lot of transactions will be conducted anonymously / privately

I do.

It's because 5 years of technical evolution, promotion, being battered to death in the media spotlight and surviving, having ETF's being applied for and slowly making their 2 year journey through the regulators and being seen to have "the end in sight", has umpteen GH/s of hashing power on it and a huge worldwide infrastructure supporting merchants.....(on and on)... trumps a 4 month old piece of code that's reproducible and made by a couple of guys in their spare time by about 200%.

Yes, ok, that's obvious that Bitcoin > DRK (trumps, as you say), but I'm asking something different.

Say, 10% of the people engaged in crypto want anonymous coins / balances / transactions etc. That's 700mn market cap right there from the total crypto pie. Anonymous coin prices would reflect that by revaluing upwards.

I agree a lot of the price talk is delusional at present. I could see it going up 3x or 4x in the next couple of months, but 1000% again would be unlikely (it would put DRK bigger than Litecoin).

1000% would take us on par with LTC. People forget that LTC has something like 28-29 mn coins out there while DRK has only 4.5. Coin numbers are mighty important. Coin price is irrelevant without coin numbers.
Pages: « 1 ... 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: