Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:10:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5652 5653 5654 5655 5656 5657 5658 5659 5660 5661 5662 5663 5664 5665 5666 5667 5668 5669 5670 5671 5672 5673 5674 5675 5676 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 [5702] 5703 5704 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722699 times)
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 12:23:13 PM

General Reminder !! Scam Warning Pages !!

http://btcreview.info

Tungfa, they post ( top right and at the end ) link "www.dashpay.io".
"Dash is the leading anonimous digital currency" sounds nice though.

good reminder
tx

i ping buster to help me update !
 Wink
tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 12:40:26 PM

Should BTM Companies Offer Altcoins In Their ATMs?

http://www.bitcoinisle.com/2016/02/03/should-btm-companies-offer-altcoins-in-their-atms/

orangecycle

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 12:55:31 PM

Anyone else experiencing stability issues with their masternodes at the moment? Mine have been bulletproof for months but the last couple of weeks I'm constantly restarting them etc. I haven't made any changes to the underlying system. Has something on the network changed?

Walter
Quite possibly. I had a reliable masternode (16+ weeks of uptime) go down twice in one day, which is very unusual. I reviewed my firewall settings and realized I was not filtering some incoming traffic properly. There could be malicious users out there trying to bang on masternode IPs, looking for exploits. So I would recommend closing all the ports you don't need.  

That's a good point...

It's quite likely that someone is scanning masternode IP's, then searching each server for open ports.

If someone found open ports, they might be trying to brute force crack your password, which could look like a DDOS attack, slowing your server, possibly crashing the masternode...

How much ram does your masternode have available? The budget system is being used pretty actively, that could possibly be taking up more memory.

I'll check on the ram thing. I created a large 2Gb swap file around 10 months ago on my servers as I only had around 768Mb RAM and running 3 MNs on each server. Might be causing the problem..

Walter

Thanks for your help guys. Masternodes are stable now apart from one last issue... One of them keeps going offline but the daemon continues to run fine, I do a remote masternode start-alias from my cold wallet and that fixes it for a couple of hours (don't need to do anything with the daemon on the server). Then it drops off again an hour or two later. It's persistantly happening with one masternode. All others are running fine now. Any ideas?

Cheers

Walter

What does the daemon report when you run
Code:
dash-cli masternode status

I'm guessing it is waiting for a remote start. If you do not see "status" : "Masternode successfully started" then you should connect directly to your masternode from your local wallet and issue start-alias.

https://node40.com/blog/how-to-connect-directly-to-your-masternode-from-your-local-wallet-to-issue-a-remote-start/
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:50:23 PM

I tried to run Electrum-dash installed on Debian (Tails OS) but I had no success with my tests.

I've downloaded the last binary "Electrum-DASH-2.4.1_Linux_x86_64-Installer.bin", I've installed it successfully though it doesn't run on Tails 2.0 (32-bit Debian/Linux).

I've also tried installing from master downloaded from Github repository. Nothing worked...

Does anyone here did it right and knew the way?

Electrum-BTC is now working in TAILS 2.0 .. it is out, not Beta. I did my best to encourage development of Electrum-Dash for TAILS, but got no traction from out devs - the guys are overworked anyways!

Moocowmoo actually ran some quick tests but didn't get far. It was the TAILS guys who fixed Electrum-BTC to work for TAILS, so we're not really behind. We're on the most current Electrum branch 2.4 (I believe)

TAILS 2 in now Debian Jessie based, so you'd need to compile from source and have all libs worked out.

Look at me, it almost looks like I know what I'm talking about lool
afreer

Activity: 54

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:51:42 PM

Skynet is what I thought when reading that too ! Scary stuff, maybe we should kill it before its too late ? lol

Maybe Smiley 

Skynet idea was AI, Dash uses human intelligence, just decentralized.

Both exist on the internet and have a mind of their own and power to change and resilience to attack and don't need to be controlled by an individual human or corporation.

Legally what kind of entity is this?  If you offer to The Network and it accepts and pays you, who or what exactly are you contracting with?

I think it's about decentralized power, Dash is really the first decentralized 'entity', it's totally new territory but one thing is for sure...the tech-genie is out of the bottle and now that's happened theres no putting it back.

GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 03:24:12 PM

Agreed. I see Ethereum more like Skynet.

Dash to me is ... an unthinkably foreseeable blessing for mankind  Tongue
afreer

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 03:36:37 PM

Agreed. I see Ethereum more like Skynet.

Dash to me is ... an unthinkably foreseeable blessing for mankind  Tongue

Ethereum is a decentralized tool like any other P2P system.

I can't approach the ETH network and make an offer and it accepts and pays me autonomously.

ETH network can't make hardware, hire lawyers, make decisions.

It needs people to do that, leaders, money handlers, all with liability, names, legal persons, i.e. single points of failure that can be taken down.

....it's not a living 'entity', it can't do anything on it's own without centralized authorities or individuals taking responsibility for that.

this is what DASH tech enables, it's something very different.

EDIT: add scripting / AI to Dash to make decisions and exercise decentralized power...that really is Skynet.
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 03:54:14 PM

The genius of Dash, frankly, is that Evan has a brilliant grasp on finance as well as cryptography/coding. Bitcoin was and is a brilliant cryptographic and computer science project, but it's missing one very important thing: economic incentives.

One of the best books I've ever read is Freakanomics. While I don't agree with all of their conclusions, the gist of the book is that economic incentives drive every aspect of our lives. If those incentives are unbalanced, you have unintended consequences. It like Obamacare; it is law and for better or worse probably won't be repealed any time soon. But it very well may die anyway, because the economic incentives are misaligned. Big insurers are talking about leaving Obamacare due to massive losses from unbalanced incentives, which will end up sending the legislation into a death spiral. If/when Obamacare dies, it will be because of economics, not politics.

Evan understood the importance of appropriate financial incentives when building the masternode network and later when building the budgeting system. I'm not sure how many people have thought of this, but do you realize that if/when we get to the marketcap of Ethereum ($194 million, equivalent to $31 Dash*), the budget system will be allocating $240,000 per month?** That's beyond huge! What can be done with such a vast amount of money? If/when we reach Bitcoin's current size ($5.8 billion, or $944 Dash), the budget system will bring in $7.5 million per month?

What's Bitcoin's current development budget, including MIT funding, etc.? I'm not sure, but likely around a million dollars a year? Dash will have a $90 million annual development budget. Think of the staggering consequences. The genius of Dash is that as the price rises, it starts a positive feedback cycle, increasing the price (and likely the masternode count and hashrate) more.

The code is great. Code is important. But it's the economics, man. That's the key.

*Marketcap/coinsupply. Dash's coin supply grows by about 900,000 coins per year (approximation). This emission rate slows by about 7.1% per year. The price of Dash at a $194m or $5.8b marketcap depends on how long it takes to get there.

**Block rewards decrease by approximately 7.1% per year. Calculated using 576 blocks per day, but that is actually a little high, historically, iirc. I don't recall the actual historical rate. Available budget funds is 10% of monthly emission times Dash price in USD. Budget funds available will depend largely on how long it takes to get to these marketcaps (and what the emission rate is per month when we get there).

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
afreer

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 04:20:37 PM

I'm not sure how many people have thought of this, but do you realize that if/when we get to the marketcap of Ethereum ($194 million, equivalent to $31 Dash*), the budget system will be allocating $240,000 per month?

Yes and the network can spend that money to change and improve itself without needing leaders or intermediaries and no one can seize those funds or block that process without buying up the network itself, and that's all operating internationally. 

And theres no restrictions, it's operating totally under game theory and in a legal vacuum in a purely decentralized way.

Since Evan pushed the button on decentralized governance, Dash has grown to $26 million with growing awareness and user base, so we know the system works: http://ericsammons.com/dash-budget/

If Dash can reach Bitcoin's market cap, what will the network do with it's funding?  what kind of power will it have? 

Anon-Post-To

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 04:21:25 PM

What is this?

https://z.cash/team.html

First time seeing or hearing of it. This all seems so very new only done on 1st February. Zero discussion on their side about darksend vs. them or anywhere else for that matter.

Is this some as a holder of dash one should be concerned about?  What I am wondering what excites these guys and their investors when you already have something like darksend, or are these two things totally different?

This is their big idea:

https://forum.bitcoin.com/ama-ask-me-anything/i-m-zooko-wilcox-ceo-of-the-zcash-company-ask-me-anything-t5413.html

To my question, can you explain at a high level or in laymen terms what makes zcash more anonymous or untraceable than bitcoin? What properties does it have and how is it able to achieve anonymity?

The high-level answer is like this:

Bitcoin is a global, shared, append-only ledger, right? And so is Zcash. The entries that get appended to that ledger — the transactions — basically say "From Address", "To Address", and "Amount Transferred". The difference between Bitcoin and Zcash is that in Zcash those three values are encrypted, so that they aren't publicly readable by default.

(The person who made a transaction could still make it be publicly readable, by publishing the decryption key, or could share the decryption key with selected parties to make it readable to them without making it readable to the world. That's what we call "selective transparency".)

So far so good.

Now the cryptographically challenging part is: how do we enable the miners and full-nodes to reject invalid transactions? This is where the zero-knowledge proofs come in. With zero-knowledge proofs, the creator of a transaction can include a proof that the transaction is valid (i.e. isn't a double-spend) without revealing anything about the encrypted "From Address", "To Address", or "Amount Transferred".
tungfa
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 04:29:28 PM

What is this?

First time seeing or hearing of it. This all seems so very new only done on 1st February. Zero discussion on their side about darksend vs. them or anywhere else for that matter.

Is this some as a holder of dash one should be concerned about?  What I am wondering what excites these guys and their investors when you already have something like darksend, or are these two things totally different?

This is their big idea:

https://forum.bitcoin.com/ama-ask-me-anything/i-m-zooko-wilcox-ceo-of-the-zcash-company-ask-me-anything-t5413.html

To my question, can you explain at a high level or in laymen terms what makes zcash more anonymous or untraceable than bitcoin? What properties does it have and how is it able to achieve anonymity?

Bitcoin is a global, shared, append-only ledger, right? And so is Zcash. The entries that get appended to that ledger — the transactions — basically say "From Address", "To Address", and "Amount Transferred". The difference between Bitcoin and Zcash is that in Zcash those three values are encrypted, so that they aren't publicly readable by default.

(The person who made a transaction could still make it be publicly readable, by publishing the decryption key, or could share the decryption key with selected parties to make it readable to them without making it readable to the world. That's what we call "selective transparency".)

So far so good.

Now the cryptographically challenging part is: how do we enable the miners and full-nodes to reject invalid transactions? This is where the zero-knowledge proofs come in. With zero-knowledge proofs, the creator of a transaction can include a proof that the transaction is valid (i.e. isn't a double-spend) without revealing anything about the encrypted "From Address", "To Address", or "Amount Transferred".

good luck dealing with that company behind it
Zcash Electric Coin Company
(and the 10% payment)
https://z.cash/blog/funding.html

i stick to Decentralised Funding via blockchain
 Wink
ddink7
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 04:33:48 PM

What is this?

Is this some as a holder of dash one should be concerned about?  What I am wondering what excites these guys and their investors when you already have something like darksend, or are these two things totally different?

This is their big idea:

So far so good.

That's a centralized, for-profit company that is using clever cryptographic technology to obfuscate transactions. In twenty years, when NSA breaks ZK-SNARKS, everything anybody has ever done on their blockchain will be revealed. Every transaction ever made will be readable.

Dash uses a mixing technology to obfuscate transactions, rather than relying on cryptography to obscure them. Transactions are obfuscated instead by mixing the inputs, so that it will never be clear who made what transactions. We are future-proof. They are not. Maybe nobody ever breaks ZK-SNARKS, but if they do...

Dash - Digital Cash
Anon-Post-To

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 04:53:58 PM

Thanks for the explanation. What I am trying to see is why these guys are so excited about their project, and in turn a host of investors have climbed aboard.

https://z.cash/team.html#investors

I am trying to see what do they know or have or plan on doing with their method that perhaps DASH should also be aiming for. If it is correct in a nutshell, they both do essentially the same thing (anonymize transactions), what do you suppose these guys are planning for theirs that has them assemble such a team and creates such interest from so many investors?

Surely the excitement and interest isn't solely on that one aspect; anonymization?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 05:02:48 PM

That's a centralized, for-profit company that is using clever cryptographic technology to obfuscate transactions. In twenty years, when NSA breaks ZK-SNARKS, everything anybody has ever done on their blockchain will be revealed. Every transaction ever made will be readable.

Dash uses a mixing technology to obfuscate transactions, rather than relying on cryptography to obscure them. Transactions are obfuscated instead by mixing the inputs, so that it will never be clear who made what transactions. We are future-proof. They are not. Maybe nobody ever breaks ZK-SNARKS, but if they do...

No you are not. Coinjoin (and derivatives like DarkSend) are like a giant sudoku game, certainly when barely used.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
ddink7
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 05:19:23 PM

No you are not. Coinjoin (and derivatives like DarkSend) are like a giant sudoku game, certainly when barely used.

Oh good, a Monero troll that I forgot to block. Taking immediate corrective action.

Please feel free, by the way, to deanonymize an 8 round Darksend transaction any time you'd like. I'll be glad to provide you with a TX ID.

Dash - Digital Cash
Sub-Ether

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Quantum entangled and jump drive assisted messages

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 05:52:29 PM

Oh good, a Monero troll that I forgot to block. Taking immediate corrective action.
Please feel free, by the way, to deanonymize an 8 round Darksend transaction any time you'd like. I'll be glad to provide you with a TX ID.
Its not all bad, I have him and his masters to thank for the last Monero pump, I could never bring myself to actually buy any, but I like the idea of shorting it, that way, I own -400 Monero which nicely sums up how I felt about the long term prospects.
Funny thing was I got shafted on the etherium rise(also a short) but the Monero profits canceled it out.
so thanks to all the Monero marketing team for that one! Wink

Dash is 27.3 times faster with syncing and updating than Bitcoin and 93.7 times faster than Monero. Bitcoin (v0.11.0) has a Tao ratio 11.2% faster than bitcoin (v0.10.0) release.
Dash (v.0.12.0.49) = Tao sync ratio = 0.15 seconds / hour of update || Dash (v.0.11.2.23) = Tao sync ratio = 0.24 seconds / hour of update. V12 versus V11 speedup = +36.5%
Bitcoin (v.0.11.0) = Tao sync ratio = 4.14 seconds / hour of update || Monero (v.0.41.1)  = Tao sync ratio = 14.2 seconds / hour of update
Anon-Post-To

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 05:59:30 PM

Found their forum and reading it. People asking them the difference between a couple of unrelated coins and theirs. Perhaps someone adept in the technology of DASH and darksend can go over there and raise this with them?  I am mighty curious what their angle and intentions are since this anonymization already exists with darksend:

https://forum.z.cash/

Based on the enthusiasm and seemingly giddy excitement I am half thinking none of them even know about DASH and darksend. I get them impression that they are all super excited about the shiny new coin because it offers anonymization, while its been here all along.

At minimum anyone technically capable of discussing it over there, will at least raise awareness.

edit to add: to put it bluntly: what's the big deal?
spatula

Activity: 507
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:18:02 PM

Stop peddling that crap here. No one here cares about your coin.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:37:13 PM

I see you are playing the shortsighted game again, where every Monero (perhaps even non-DASH) proponent is called a troll.

I am merely saying that most likely in the future, some (if not all) Coinjoin transactions get deanonymized (it gets more difficult with more activity on the chain). Bear in mind that governments have plenty of time. Therefore it is not certain you (perhaps any system) are (is) future proof, as you stated.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
mjsrs

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:43:34 PM

"USD valuations would also be created via quorum and an average price over a period of 7 days would be used to stop people from attacking the implementation. (e.g. if you dump 10000 coins right before the budget is finalized, you could drop the price by 10% and get 10% more coins as a result, right? To stop this we’ll use quorum based averages)."

Evan,

Can you please explain a little more how this will work?
thanks

Any details on this?

https://dash-stats.com XoPGniokL6rRahoKviBza8oqWSTyUQPkAF
Pages: « 1 ... 5652 5653 5654 5655 5656 5657 5658 5659 5660 5661 5662 5663 5664 5665 5666 5667 5668 5669 5670 5671 5672 5673 5674 5675 5676 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 [5702] 5703 5704 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: