Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:19:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5654 5655 5656 5657 5658 5659 5660 5661 5662 5663 5664 5665 5666 5667 5668 5669 5670 5671 5672 5673 5674 5675 5676 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 5702 5703 [5704] 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 5754 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722673 times)
Riseman

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:05:08 PM

First they set a limit for cash transactions, now they want to ban 500€ notes. Market situation getting better for Dash.

https://www.rt.com/business/330970-500-euro-banknote-terrorism/

Well, for it to really get better Dash has to be known to more than just a few hundred/(thousand?) people interested in crypto.
pille

Activity: 436
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:12:17 PM

Hey!! Linux ass hat here, Dont really know what to do with this. Hoping some wizard will come to my rescue

Do I need to delete some file, becourse there is plenty of disk space on the VPS so I dont get this message when I try to start my node Tongue

No space left on device means your disk is full. Delete something that you don't need any more or buy a larger disk.

hmm alright, Was there not some huge file in Dash that is ok to delete
Already tried to delete ~/.dash/debug.log?

I recommend to set a cronjob to delete it once a day, this debug file is getting filled very fast (about 60MB/day?)

Code:
sudo crontab -e
choose 2 and add
Code:
0 0 * * * > ~/.dash/debug.log
save
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 10:37:40 PM

First they set a limit for cash transactions, now they want to ban 500€ notes. Market situation getting better for Dash.

https://www.rt.com/business/330970-500-euro-banknote-terrorism/
Good find! https://twitter.com/taoofsatoshi/status/695375421777453056

DaveJones

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:45:02 PM

snip

You know, I've been talking to a lot of people who run exchanges at these conferences. There's a huge unintended benefit to Darksend. Basically when you mix via Darksend, you're reseting your history. Like clearing your browser history. After the fact when you're sending coins to an exchange from their prospective, address A (your pubkey) is sending address B (their pubkey) coins. What freaks these exchanges out is when it could be multiple people, completely unrelated to your public key that are sending them money (e.g. address A or B or C or D or E sent money to address F). All of these other technologies use something closer to the later, which will cause them to have less adoption in the long run, unless legal compliance gets easier over time... which I doubt.

TLDR; Some decent privacy and an easy to understand blockchain makes compliance easier.

Making compliance easier might be a decent benefit to have.  But it says digital cash on the box.

Don't mind me I'm just looking around for the odd alt with decent growth / trading potential.
Icebucket

Activity: 409

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:08:35 PM

Hey!! Linux ass hat here, Dont really know what to do with this. Hoping some wizard will come to my rescue

Do I need to delete some file, becourse there is plenty of disk space on the VPS so I dont get this message when I try to start my node Tongue

No space left on device means your disk is full. Delete something that you don't need any more or buy a larger disk.

I recommend to set a cronjob to delete it once a day, this debug file is getting filled very fast (about 60MB/day?)

Code:
sudo crontab -e
choose 2 and add
Code:
save

Thanks, did do this and rm debug.log but I still get the same message Tongue

“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
― Gautama Buddha
Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:10:38 PM

Code:
sudo crontab -e
choose 2 and add
Code:
save

Find files that are more than 100M :
Code:
find / -size +100M

Find top 10 bigger directory :
Code:
cd /
du -Sh | sort -rh | head -n 10

In case you have more than one FileSystem  check FileSystem filling rate:
Code:
df -h
pille

Activity: 436

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:14:11 PM

rm command will not work in this case, the disc space will only be freed after restart of the dash deamon.
try
Code:
> ~/.dash/debug.log
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 11:17:47 PM

Zerocash.

The amazing new private coin in which you have to trust the creators will NOT collude to have a power to print any amount of 'cash'  in an undetectable way.

eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 11:22:00 PM

Zerocash.

The amazing new private coin in which you have to trust the creators will NOT collude to have a power to print any amount of 'cash'  in an undetectable way.

From what I remember, they were planning on getting about 10 people together, buying a brand new computer, then recording the entire process of creating the pubkey that the privacy is based on. As long as they document destroying the computer afterward and never connect it to the internet, how could the pubkey be compromised?

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:30:02 PM

Zerocash.

From what I remember, they were planning on getting about 10 people together, buying a brand new computer, then recording the entire process of creating the pubkey that the privacy is based on. As long as they document destroying the computer afterward and never connect it to the internet, how could the pubkey be compromised?

I am not entirely sure how it works, it's probably in their paper somewhere -> http://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2015/papers-archived/6949a287.pdf. They themselves have stated already that you only need to trust one person, but if they collaborate they could create additional coins (not break privacy). I elaborated on that here -> https://forum.bitcoin.com/post16245.html#p16245 (again, I don't know the specifics of it).

Fact is that they need to prove that the software/hardware was not compromised beforehand AND afterhand, the latter could be achieved by simply burning the computer on videostream or something.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Macrochip

Activity: 465

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 11:35:03 PM

Zerocash.

I can think of numerous ways to rig the whole process. Starting from video trickery over plugging a hidden wifi stick into the machine to having some background logging process running while claiming it's part of the generation-program... Just off the top of my head.

The only way to make me trust that privkey destruction process is me being physically there and checking every inch of that computer & room. When it comes to the creation of a supposedly "perfectly anonymous" cryptocurrency and the entire damn thing hinges on that single key nothing short than that is acceptable. Due to being impractical I deem the whole currency as impractical.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:39:36 PM

Zerocash.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=air+gap+compromise+methods

(800 000 hits)

There is also an investment vulnerability here, which is that zero knowledge techniques without a trusted setup exist, they are just not yet efficient enough to use. If such a thing is ever developed it would instantly replace Zcash.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:52:27 PM

Zerocash.

I can think of numerous ways to rig the whole process. Starting from video trickery over plugging a hidden wifi stick into the machine to having some background logging process running while claiming it's part of the generation-program... Just off the top of my head.

The only way to make me trust that privkey destruction process is me being physically there and checking every inch of that computer & room. When it comes to the creation of a supposedly "perfectly anonymous" cryptocurrency and the entire damn thing hinges on that single key nothing short than that is acceptable. Due to being impractical I deem the whole currency as impractical.

There might still be some backdoor in the software you would miss, there are so much possibilities to compromise the setup..

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Icebucket

Activity: 409

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 12:20:31 AM

rm command will not work in this case, the disc space will only be freed after restart of the dash deamon.
try
Code:
> ~/.dash/debug.log
Yaayyy!! It did the trick  Cheesy
Thanks  Grin

“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
― Gautama Buddha
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 12:26:55 AM

Zerocash.

(800 000 hits)

There is also an investment vulnerability here, which is that zero knowledge techniques without a trusted setup exist, they are just not yet efficient enough to use. If such a thing is ever developed it would instantly replace Zcash.

I would just get the top five audit firms, the top five law firms and a couple of others, and split the launch set-up between them. You only need one of those to be honest and the set-up is legit.

The last time there was a hint of dishonesty from a big five audit firm, a firm with $9billion in annual revenues, it went bust (dishonesty on some of the main points was not proven, but it was too late).

This might cost $50k in fees, but anyone who would suggest that these firms would collude to steal from a start-up currency, at the risk of their combined existence, would be seriously deluded.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 01:14:17 AM

Zerocash.

The amazing new private coin in which you have to trust the creators will NOT collude to have a power to print any amount of 'cash'  in an undetectable way.

(800 000 hits)

I would just get the top five audit firms, the top five law firms and a couple of others, and split the launch set-up between them. You only need one of those to be honest and the set-up is legit.

The last time there was a hint of dishonesty from a big five audit firm, a firm with $9billion in annual revenues, it went bust (dishonesty on some of the main points was not proven, but it was too late).

This might cost $50k in fees, but anyone who would suggest that these firms would collude to steal from a start-up currency, at the risk of their combined existence, would be seriously deluded.

As institutions they certainly would not. Individuals involved, one can be less certain. Even if no one colluded, they could still get pwned.

I also don't think you understand the magnitude of what is at stake. A successful exploit is a real option on Zcash being very successful with a payoff of almost limitless free invisible money (you need only not print enough to crash it) at some point in the future with no expiration. Even if it is considered very unlikely that Zcash is successful, that option still objectively has an immense fair value. Scarily-competent and well-resourced adversaries rationally become interested.

For this reason I don't really consider the trusted setup method viable at all, for a cryptocurrency trying to be extremely successful on a global scale. People are jumping the gun here, instead of waiting for the science to catch up with the needs of the problem space (though in some ways that could be said of cryptocurrency altogether).

With smaller success goals in mind, it might be okay. It certainly might be a good trading opportunity.

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 01:23:51 AM

Zerocash.

The amazing new private coin in which you have to trust the creators will NOT collude to have a power to print any amount of 'cash'  in an undetectable way.

(800 000 hits)

As institutions they certainly would not. Individuals involved, one can be less certain. Even if no one colluded, they could still get pwned.

I also don't think you understand the magnitude of what is at stake. A successful exploit is a real option on Zcash being very successful with a payoff of almost limitless free invisible money (you need only not print enough to crash it) at some point in the future with no expiration. Even if it is considered very unlikely that Zcash is successful, that option still objectively has an immense fair value. Scarily-competent and well-resourced adversaries rationally become interested.

For this reason I don't really consider the trusted setup method viable at all, for a cryptocurrency trying to be extremely successful on a global scale. People are jumping the gun here, instead of waiting for the science to catch up with the needs of the problem space (though in some ways that could be said of cryptocurrency altogether).

With smaller success goals in mind, it might be okay. It certainly might be a good trading opportunity.

'As institutions they would not'. lol. What sort of statement is that.

I'm pretty sure there was a published paper on the multi-party set-up process that has been peer reviewed and I don't think it had any push back. One honest party is all that is needed.

And seriously, saying that individual people working for top auditors and lawyers from different firms would collude to steal is proper FUD.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 01:35:09 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2016, 04:01:55 AM by smooth

Zerocash.

(800 000 hits)

'As institutions they would not'. lol. What sort of statement is that.

I'm pretty sure there was a published paper on the multi-party set-up process that has been peer reviewed and I don't think it had any push back. One honest party is all that is needed.

One honest party and that the equipment, methods, and process used are not in some way exploited. Interestingly there is an added risk if the computers are destroyed as some have suggested, because then there can't even be any investigation after the fact if evidence of a threat or impropriety is uncovered.

And seriously, saying that individual people working for top auditors and lawyers from different firms would collude to steal is proper FUD.

Say what you will, I'm reasonably certain that Zcash will not ever become the global standard zero knowledge cryptocurrency because:

1. I'm not as convinced as you are that the immense value of successfully exploiting it will not be recognized and rational decisions made by even insiders with quite a bit to lose, or by outside actors with no such impediment.

2. Even if #1 does not happen, it can't be ever be known with certainty that it didn't, so there will be a significant trust deficit.

3. Better techniques that do not require this degree of vulnerability and trust will very likely be available in the future. This will both undermine Zcash before the fact due to its impending obsolescence and certainly eclipse it once they do become available.

Still, as I said earlier it could still be quite successful relative to other tiny cryptocurrencies.

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 01:42:48 AM

The individuals would never be able to spend the money. Lol. 

They would be marked for life.

They're all rich to start with.

If you think you couldn't trust one of them out of 8 or 10, well then there is no point in having auditors, or laws that govern their practice.

Wow. You just broke the audit industry. With three bullet points. Kudos.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 01:43:09 AM

Zerocash.

(800 000 hits)

I had to giggle a bit at this honestly, there is a constant stream of dubious behavior of the big four audit firms (EY, KPML, PwC, Deloitte). The AFM actually audits (I know it sounds weird, inspect might be better) the big four and has repeatedly reported that there are structurual problems with the audit quality of these firms and that it hasn't sufficiently been improved over time.

https://www.afm.nl/en/nieuws/2014/sep/rapport-controles-big4.aspx (article is in english).

Pages: « 1 ... 5654 5655 5656 5657 5658 5659 5660 5661 5662 5663 5664 5665 5666 5667 5668 5669 5670 5671 5672 5673 5674 5675 5676 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 5702 5703 [5704] 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 5754 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: