Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:36:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5653 5654 5655 5656 5657 5658 5659 5660 5661 5662 5663 5664 5665 5666 5667 5668 5669 5670 5671 5672 5673 5674 5675 5676 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 5702 [5703] 5704 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722589 times)
Solarminer

Activity: 826
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:05:55 PM

Anyone else experiencing stability issues with their masternodes at the moment? Mine have been bulletproof for months but the last couple of weeks I'm constantly restarting them etc. I haven't made any changes to the underlying system. Has something on the network changed?

Walter
Quite possibly. I had a reliable masternode (16+ weeks of uptime) go down twice in one day, which is very unusual. I reviewed my firewall settings and realized I was not filtering some incoming traffic properly. There could be malicious users out there trying to bang on masternode IPs, looking for exploits. So I would recommend closing all the ports you don't need.  

That's a good point...

It's quite likely that someone is scanning masternode IP's, then searching each server for open ports.

If someone found open ports, they might be trying to brute force crack your password, which could look like a DDOS attack, slowing your server, possibly crashing the masternode...

How much ram does your masternode have available? The budget system is being used pretty actively, that could possibly be taking up more memory.

I'll check on the ram thing. I created a large 2Gb swap file around 10 months ago on my servers as I only had around 768Mb RAM and running 3 MNs on each server. Might be causing the problem..

Walter

Thanks for your help guys. Masternodes are stable now apart from one last issue... One of them keeps going offline but the daemon continues to run fine, I do a remote masternode start-alias from my cold wallet and that fixes it for a couple of hours (don't need to do anything with the daemon on the server). Then it drops off again an hour or two later. It's persistantly happening with one masternode. All others are running fine now. Any ideas?

Cheers

Walter
Walter,
Are you sure all the private keys are correct/unique in your masternode.dat?  I would suggest creating a new private key(masternode genkey) for server/local wallets and updating your masternode.dat.  Check that your IP is correct too.  You also need to make sure you are forwarding and have open the 9999 and 9998 ports.  It sounds like you are local starting your node, instead of the server picking it up.
splawik21
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

DASH is the future of crypto payments!

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:25:38 PM

A week ago we had DASH ATH in difficulty - most mining HASH ever!
Today we had 16,36% more!!!!

edit: sorry, my mistake, we had 12626 diff on 18.07.2014 @ 21:03

BE SMART, USE DASH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 07:33:27 PM

Great example of grassroots use of decentralized funding:

http://anarchapulco.com/

https://twitter.com/taoofsatoshi/status/695267323184332802

DaveJones

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:43:01 PM

What is this?

https://z.cash/team.html

First time seeing or hearing of it. This all seems so very new only done on 1st February. Zero discussion on their side about darksend vs. them or anywhere else for that matter.

Is this some as a holder of dash one should be concerned about?  What I am wondering what excites these guys and their investors when you already have something like darksend, or are these two things totally different?

This is their big idea:

https://forum.bitcoin.com/ama-ask-me-anything/i-m-zooko-wilcox-ceo-of-the-zcash-company-ask-me-anything-t5413.html

To my question, can you explain at a high level or in laymen terms what makes zcash more anonymous or untraceable than bitcoin? What properties does it have and how is it able to achieve anonymity?

The high-level answer is like this:

Bitcoin is a global, shared, append-only ledger, right? And so is Zcash. The entries that get appended to that ledger — the transactions — basically say "From Address", "To Address", and "Amount Transferred". The difference between Bitcoin and Zcash is that in Zcash those three values are encrypted, so that they aren't publicly readable by default.

(The person who made a transaction could still make it be publicly readable, by publishing the decryption key, or could share the decryption key with selected parties to make it readable to them without making it readable to the world. That's what we call "selective transparency".)

So far so good.

Now the cryptographically challenging part is: how do we enable the miners and full-nodes to reject invalid transactions? This is where the zero-knowledge proofs come in. With zero-knowledge proofs, the creator of a transaction can include a proof that the transaction is valid (i.e. isn't a double-spend) without revealing anything about the encrypted "From Address", "To Address", or "Amount Transferred".

good luck dealing with that company behind it
Zcash Electric Coin Company
(and the 10% payment)
https://z.cash/blog/funding.html

i stick to Decentralised Funding via blockchain
 Wink

The technology looks pretty shit hot, IMO.

The source code is open source, so having a company releasing the code is not an issue. They are maintaining it, but it can be forked at any point.

Don't make the Dodo mistake of thinking the new kid on the block is harmless. Darksend could be orders of magnitude less robust than zerocash when it comes to privacy.
ddink7
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:44:41 PM

Anyone else experiencing stability issues with their masternodes at the moment? Mine have been bulletproof for months but the last couple of weeks I'm constantly restarting them etc. I haven't made any changes to the underlying system. Has something on the network changed?

Walter
Quite possibly. I had a reliable masternode (16+ weeks of uptime) go down twice in one day, which is very unusual. I reviewed my firewall settings and realized I was not filtering some incoming traffic properly. There could be malicious users out there trying to bang on masternode IPs, looking for exploits. So I would recommend closing all the ports you don't need.  

That's a good point...

It's quite likely that someone is scanning masternode IP's, then searching each server for open ports.

If someone found open ports, they might be trying to brute force crack your password, which could look like a DDOS attack, slowing your server, possibly crashing the masternode...

How much ram does your masternode have available? The budget system is being used pretty actively, that could possibly be taking up more memory.

I'll check on the ram thing. I created a large 2Gb swap file around 10 months ago on my servers as I only had around 768Mb RAM and running 3 MNs on each server. Might be causing the problem..

Walter

Thanks for your help guys. Masternodes are stable now apart from one last issue... One of them keeps going offline but the daemon continues to run fine, I do a remote masternode start-alias from my cold wallet and that fixes it for a couple of hours (don't need to do anything with the daemon on the server). Then it drops off again an hour or two later. It's persistantly happening with one masternode. All others are running fine now. Any ideas?

Cheers

Walter
Walter,
Are you sure all the private keys are correct/unique in your masternode.dat?  I would suggest creating a new private key(masternode genkey) for server/local wallets and updating your masternode.dat.  Check that your IP is correct too.  You also need to make sure you are forwarding and have open the 9999 and 9998 ports.  It sounds like you are local starting your node, instead of the server picking it up.

Agree with Solarminer. I had this happen to me a few weeks ago after an MN crashed due to hard server outage. Nothing I did would keep my masternode alive for more than a couple hours before it fell of the masternode list (daemon kept running). Finally just regenerated the mnprivkey and it worked!

Dash - Digital Cash
https://www.dash.org/
ddink7
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:48:54 PM

The source code is open source, so having a company releasing the code is not an issue. They are maintaining it, but it can be forked at any point.

Don't make the Dodo mistake of thinking the new kid on the block is harmless. Darksend could be orders of magnitude less robust than zerocash when it comes to privacy.

It's definitely interesting stuff. The for-profit corporation aspect of it makes it seem, to me, like an anonymous version of Ripple.

The hype is likely to be just as big as Ethereum; once released it could take a quick (maybe brief, maybe lasting) ride up the coinmarketcap chart.

The nice thing about Dash is that I no longer feel the need to defend us on the anonymity front. I think our anonymity is pretty strong, but it's also no longer the only notable thing about our coin. Even without anonymity, we'd have instant transactions, incentivized second tier (more 24/7 nodes than Bitcoin), decentralized governance, self-funding decentralized budget system...all things that Bitcoin lacks.

Dash - Digital Cash
DaveJones

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:05:45 PM

It's definitely interesting stuff. The for-profit corporation aspect of it makes it seem, to me, like an anonymous version of Ripple.

The hype is likely to be just as big as Ethereum; once released it could take a quick (maybe brief, maybe lasting) ride up the coinmarketcap chart.

The nice thing about Dash is that I no longer feel the need to defend us on the anonymity front. I think our anonymity is pretty strong, but it's also no longer the only notable thing about our coin. Even without anonymity, we'd have instant transactions, incentivized second tier (more 24/7 nodes than Bitcoin), decentralized governance, self-funding decentralized budget system...all things that Bitcoin lacks.

You're making Dodo mistakes.  It's not Ripple. Compared to Darksend, it's as close to the purest definition of digital cash as you'll see. Also, there is no stopping or rewinding transactions and there is no emergency AML button to press.

Talking about other features is just moving the goal posts.
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 08:10:13 PM

You're making Dodo mistakes.  It's not Ripple. Compared to Darksend, it's as close to the purest definition of digital cash as you'll see. Also, there is no stopping or rewinding transactions and there is no emergency AML button to press.

Any open-sourced technology that could benefit Dash will be looked at. We will do our due diligence. If it will improve Dash, you can bet we'll be interested!

eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 08:19:24 PM

What is this?

First time seeing or hearing of it. This all seems so very new only done on 1st February. Zero discussion on their side about darksend vs. them or anywhere else for that matter.

Is this some as a holder of dash one should be concerned about?  What I am wondering what excites these guys and their investors when you already have something like darksend, or are these two things totally different?

This is their big idea:

https://forum.bitcoin.com/ama-ask-me-anything/i-m-zooko-wilcox-ceo-of-the-zcash-company-ask-me-anything-t5413.html

To my question, can you explain at a high level or in laymen terms what makes zcash more anonymous or untraceable than bitcoin? What properties does it have and how is it able to achieve anonymity?

The high-level answer is like this:

Bitcoin is a global, shared, append-only ledger, right? And so is Zcash. The entries that get appended to that ledger — the transactions — basically say "From Address", "To Address", and "Amount Transferred". The difference between Bitcoin and Zcash is that in Zcash those three values are encrypted, so that they aren't publicly readable by default.

(The person who made a transaction could still make it be publicly readable, by publishing the decryption key, or could share the decryption key with selected parties to make it readable to them without making it readable to the world. That's what we call "selective transparency".)

So far so good.

Now the cryptographically challenging part is: how do we enable the miners and full-nodes to reject invalid transactions? This is where the zero-knowledge proofs come in. With zero-knowledge proofs, the creator of a transaction can include a proof that the transaction is valid (i.e. isn't a double-spend) without revealing anything about the encrypted "From Address", "To Address", or "Amount Transferred".

good luck dealing with that company behind it
Zcash Electric Coin Company
(and the 10% payment)
https://z.cash/blog/funding.html

i stick to Decentralised Funding via blockchain
 Wink

You know, I've been talking to a lot of people who run exchanges at these conferences. There's a huge unintended benefit to Darksend. Basically when you mix via Darksend, you're reseting your history. Like clearing your browser history. After the fact when you're sending coins to an exchange from their prospective, address A (your pubkey) is sending address B (their pubkey) coins. What freaks these exchanges out is when it could be multiple people, completely unrelated to your public key that are sending them money (e.g. address A or B or C or D or E sent money to address F). All of these other technologies use something closer to the later, which will cause them to have less adoption in the long run, unless legal compliance gets easier over time... which I doubt.

TLDR; Some decent privacy and an easy to understand blockchain makes compliance easier.

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
Walter_S

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:40:04 PM

Walter

That's a good point...

Walter

Cheers

Walter
Walter,

Agree with Solarminer. I had this happen to me a few weeks ago after an MN crashed due to hard server outage. Nothing I did would keep my masternode alive for more than a couple hours before it fell of the masternode list (daemon kept running). Finally just regenerated the mnprivkey and it worked!

Thanks guys. Going to do this now. Will let you know how it goes Smiley

Walter
Icebucket

Activity: 409

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:44:33 PM

Hey!! Linux ass hat here, Dont really know what to do with this. Hoping some wizard will come to my rescue

Do I need to delete some file, becourse there is plenty of disk space on the VPS so I dont get this message when I try to start my node Tongue

“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
― Gautama Buddha
spatula

Activity: 507
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:02:05 PM

Hey!! Linux ass hat here, Dont really know what to do with this. Hoping some wizard will come to my rescue

Do I need to delete some file, becourse there is plenty of disk space on the VPS so I dont get this message when I try to start my node Tongue

FeelTheBern

Activity: 58

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 09:03:21 PM

By the way anyone who wants me banned please go vote here:

https://dashtalk.org/threads/community-poll-do-you-want-the-presence-of-thedashguy-to-continue-in-dashtalk-org.7958/

And get it over with. I'm done arguing this 10v1 crap.
ddink7
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:04:32 PM

I meant in terms of the centralized, for-profit corporate aspect.

Not sure what you mean about "other features" moving the goal posts.

Dash - Digital Cash
Walter_S

Activity: 310

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:10:52 PM

Walter

That's a good point...

Walter

Cheers

Walter
Walter,

Thanks guys. Going to do this now. Will let you know how it goes Smiley

Walter

I've issued new privkeys to the affected masternodes. All back up and running for now... Let's hope that fixes it! Missed out on a couple of payment cycles now Sad

Thanks for your help peeps Smiley

Cheers

Walter
Icebucket

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:12:52 PM

Lol  Cheesy Yup Already tryed that, did not work as well as I hoped

Any other Ideas ?

― Gautama Buddha
pille

Activity: 436

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:17:36 PM

First they set a limit for cash transactions, now they want to ban 500€ notes. Market situation getting better for Dash.

https://www.rt.com/business/330970-500-euro-banknote-terrorism/
crowning

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Activity: -42

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:18:13 PM

No space left on device means your disk is full. Delete something that you don't need any more or buy a larger disk.
Icebucket

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:35:24 PM

No space left on device means your disk is full. Delete something that you don't need any more or buy a larger disk.

hmm alright, Was there not some huge file in Dash that is ok to delete

― Gautama Buddha
dihydrogenmonoxide

Activity: 197
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:41:42 PM

hmm alright, Was there not some huge file in Dash that is ok to delete
Already tried to delete ~/.dash/debug.log?

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way." - Josh Billings
Pages: « 1 ... 5653 5654 5655 5656 5657 5658 5659 5660 5661 5662 5663 5664 5665 5666 5667 5668 5669 5670 5671 5672 5673 5674 5675 5676 5677 5678 5679 5680 5681 5682 5683 5684 5685 5686 5687 5688 5689 5690 5691 5692 5693 5694 5695 5696 5697 5698 5699 5700 5701 5702 [5703] 5704 5705 5706 5707 5708 5709 5710 5711 5712 5713 5714 5715 5716 5717 5718 5719 5720 5721 5722 5723 5724 5725 5726 5727 5728 5729 5730 5731 5732 5733 5734 5735 5736 5737 5738 5739 5740 5741 5742 5743 5744 5745 5746 5747 5748 5749 5750 5751 5752 5753 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: