Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:33:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 [866] 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722719 times)
daddeo

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:17:07 PM

I'm not sure how up ~250% in 14 days = tanking
That's a falsely-framed presentation of the facts and we both know it. A hard spike, a cool off, that's normal. But the drop in volume to nearly zero is not. Any one of the whales we saw jump in could say "meh, I feel like playing in AnyOtherCoin" and poof... The volume to support their departure doesn't exist. Not. Even. Close.

but I do see the point re: open sourcing.  I thought there was going to be some sort of 3rd party white hat audit first?
It's too new and unique a thing to throw out in Open Source so soon. I understand it in context of most clonecoins. There's is little to test as it's already been tested. But DRK is different. It risk being stolen by some other coin before it can establish itself. The fact that it hasn't been copied already is proof that the shitcoindevs can't do it on their own. Why give them your own advantage?

I have to agree. Besides, there still seems to be a bit of unfinished business with the website, marketing, coin designs/logos being inconsistent, just seems a bit rushed. If some of those things were finalized before open sourcing it might help gain traction with the masses. Just the opinion of an "average Joe" Smiley
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:18:35 PM

And the hashrate is still way up. Which is getting annoying..

You know why the hash rate is so high, despite the fact that mining DRK isn't exactly the most profitable thing to be doing right now, nor has been in the past?

Because... there are people out there with a clue!

Amazes me that there are so many actually.   Wink   But what the hell, I don't mind some other people getting rich too.  Kiss
patrolman

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:31:39 PM

That's a falsely-framed presentation of the facts and we both know it. A hard spike, a cool off, that's normal. But the drop in volume to nearly zero is not. Any one of the whales we saw jump in could say "meh, I feel like playing in AnyOtherCoin" and poof... The volume to support their departure doesn't exist. Not. Even. Close.

but I do see the point re: open sourcing.  I thought there was going to be some sort of 3rd party white hat audit first?
It's too new and unique a thing to throw out in Open Source so soon. I understand it in context of most clonecoins. There's is little to test as it's already been tested. But DRK is different. It risk being stolen by some other coin before it can establish itself. The fact that it hasn't been copied already is proof that the shitcoindevs can't do it on their own. Why give them your own advantage?

I have to agree. Besides, there still seems to be a bit of unfinished business with the website, marketing, coin designs/logos being inconsistent, just seems a bit rushed. If some of those things were finalized before open sourcing it might help gain traction with the masses. Just the opinion of an "average Joe" Smiley

I agree with this but maybe it means we need to really work as a community to get these things finalised before the deadline!

If extensive testing of the masternodes and DarkSend is carried out between now and May 14 hopefully any major bugs could be ironed out beforehand - it's very important to get this right though. If there were a foolproof to running the masternodes I would be happy to help out with the testing. From what I understand it's still intended for those capable of securing the node properly though.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:34:07 PM

And the hashrate is still way up. Which is getting annoying..

You know why the hash rate is so high, despite the fact that mining DRK isn't exactly the most profitable thing to be doing right now, nor has been in the past?

Because... there are people out there with a clue!

Amazes me that there are so many actually.   Wink   But what the hell, I don't mind some other people getting rich too.  Kiss

I am curious how many people out there are mining DRK at a loss when they would be better off buying the coins outright. Don't get me wrong, I see the bigger picture, but I'd end up with more coins through purchasing than mining (and that happens to be the case for me).
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:37:22 PM

I am curious how many people out there are mining DRK at a loss when they would be better off buying the coins outright.

Right now about 30GH worth.  (And it's not really at a loss, unless your electricity costs a great deal.)

I rent my rigs at better profit when I can and buy DRK with the BTC I make, but I mine DRK in between rentals because, well, it seems like the right thing to do.  Grin
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 11:49:16 PM

True, but there was hardly any volume before the large run up. You didn't see a ton of large buys (or sells for that matter). Knowing the history, any "whales" that opted to take a position knew of the possibility of volume reversion so deciding to play another coin with any sizeable position would mean difficulty scaling out. Personally, I believe you have people stocking up coins and holding. Doesn't take long to put a valuation on it if at bare minimum 1% of people invested in alts care about privacy.

All true, but, without an increase in volume, the bottom can very easily fall out. An increase in value needs a supporting increase in volume. It doesn't have to be huge, but it has to be something. Right now it's actually lower than prior to the spike. A lot lower. I've never witnessed that going well. But as you mention, it could be related to buy-hold-masternode. Comparing DRK apples to apples with any other coin is generally un-useful. Come to think of it, it does remind me of the fist time BTC bumped up from around 4 dollars into double digits. Volume was actually lower in the cooldown, but it never went back... Maybe I'm all wrong for being concerned.

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 11:51:23 PM

I agree with this but maybe it means we need to really work as a community to get these things finalised before the deadline!

A manly sentiment, but unfortunately, working faster doesn't result in people noticing faster.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 11:55:46 PM

I also wish that it mixed with those 1000DRK. Only makes a good thing better and the coin is already sitting there...

The 1000DRK was never meant for mixing, and isn't necessarily "sitting there" anyway.

I know that's not the intent. It turns a Proof of Stake (worthless) into a Proof of Service (useful). Very cool.

But since it's hanging around anyways... Why not? The whole point of the masternode is to anonymize, no? Why not add that into it since it's staked anyway... Just thinking out loud. I know currently the plan is to use fancy math stuffs to stick that proof of stake into cold storage.

I started building a VM to use as a masternode host that I can clone for as many masternodes as I want. But, I'm not going live until It's hardened and there's more time spent. I may hold off until Open Source...

It's actually not on the master node any more (if you're smart enough to configure it that way).

So set up in that manner and the risk becomes minimal, right?

I might have been 7 years ago when I still lived in Gentoo, but since I decided to use my computer instead of babysit it all the damn time, I'm a bit rusty...

I haven't dedicated the time to reading up on it since I haven't dedicated the time to hardening my VM, which has to be done first... Do point me to the FM so that I might RTFM?

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
daddeo

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:57:15 PM

If extensive testing of the masternodes and DarkSend is carried out between now and May 14 hopefully any major bugs could be ironed out beforehand - it's very important to get this right though. If there were a foolproof to running the masternodes I would be happy to help out with the testing. From what I understand it's still intended for those capable of securing the node properly though.

Absolutely. And my comments were by no means meant as a slight to anyone. Hell if I knew anything about any of this stuff I'd chip in. I'm afraid I can't be of much help. Just offering my humble opinions. I'm with you on the masternodes too, I haven't gathered the "stones" yet to try and tackle setting one up.
rickraw

Activity: 387

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 12:28:04 AM

Looks like I'm buying a couple more thousand DRK before May 14 Smiley.  Exciting news!

DASH - Private. Instant. Digital Cash.   DASHPAY.IO
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 12:40:07 AM

I might have been 7 years ago when I still lived in Gentoo, but since I decided to use my computer instead of babysit it all the damn time, I'm a bit rusty...

I haven't dedicated the time to reading up on it since I haven't dedicated the time to hardening my VM, which has to be done first... Do point me to the FM so that I might RTFM?

Ok, I have verified it works.

Start darkcoind on remote machine.
On your local machine specify the IP at launch with ./darkcoind -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP
Unlock your local machine wallet with your passphrase.
On your local machine, ./darkcoind masternode start

Slickness indeed.

darkcoin.conf on both machines (stolen from chaeplin's thread, thanks buddy)
addnode=23.23.186.131
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1

There's not much to it really! On your server lock down ports except for 9999, disable root, make ssh accept connections from your IP only, etc, etc. I recommend chaeplin's guide on DarkcoinTalk, he does a good job. Then, just follow that sequence above. You can take your local machine's wallet down and store it offline after you start the master node. Mine has been running for three days with this configuration and my wallet was only online for maybe two minutes.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
daddeo

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 12:51:20 AM

Ok, I have verified it works.

Start darkcoind on remote machine.
On your local machine specify the IP at launch with ./darkcoind -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP
Unlock your local machine wallet with your passphrase.
On your local machine, ./darkcoind masternode start

Slickness indeed.

darkcoin.conf on both machines (stolen from chaeplin's thread, thanks buddy)
addnode=23.23.186.131
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1

There's not much to it really! On your server lock down ports except for 9999, disable root, make ssh accept connections from your IP only, etc, etc. I recommend chaeplin's guide on DarkcoinTalk, he does a good job. Then, just follow that sequence above. You can take your local machine's wallet down and store it offline after you start the master node. Mine has been running for three days with this configuration and my wallet was only online for maybe two minutes.

Thanks man!
Any Linux flavor will do or should I use Ubuntu server? I'm going to try it on a local machine first I think.
humanitee

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 12:54:44 AM

Thanks man!
Any Linux flavor will do or should I use Ubuntu server? I'm going to try it on a local machine first I think.

Since the binaries are compiled on Ubuntu 12.04 I would use that for now.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
BINANCE
─────── LAB

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
nzminer
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:02:53 AM

Im wanting to create a master node, i have experience in linux and work in IT, so should be pretty straightforward.
What i want to know is how many DRK do i expect per day with a master node at present?
From what i understand, the more masternodes that are running, the smaller the payout?

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
AlexformPr

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:09:57 AM

TY DRK for cooling my room  Shocked
mannie

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:14:57 AM

Anyone care to take a look at my proposed new Darkcoin site? Comments over here appreciated: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/new-drk-website.350/

Also, if anyone is up to writing guides for users, miners, masternodes hosts, that would be grand!

Here's the sample website on a temp host: http://darkcoinsample.hostoi.com/

etoque
Legendary

Activity: 1988

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:16:15 AM

Any solution to find a seller for cash transaction  ?
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:28:38 AM

Anyone care to take a look at my proposed new Darkcoin site? Comments over here appreciated: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/new-drk-website.350/

Also, if anyone is up to writing guides for users, miners, masternodes hosts, that would be grand!

Great work dude! I think this website is so much better than the current one that it should be changed as soon as all the content makes sense, even if its improved upon later.
patrolman

Activity: 447

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:30:54 AM

I'll be over on darkcointalk with a few comments shortly.

On a related note, here is the new logo in SVG format if anyone is interested: https://mega.co.nz/#F!lJAiSBDJ!BSeb2wWOfpZcPMOmURFAxw. I just used the PDFs from the original files and saved them as SVGs using Inkscape.
humanitee

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 01:47:24 AM

It's actually not on the master node any more (if you're smart enough to configure it that way).

does the second server has to run all the time or can i quit darkcoind after activating the masternode?

You can quit, like I said, I store my wallet offline and only had it online for maybe two minutes.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
BINANCE
─────── LAB

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Pages: « 1 ... 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 [866] 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: