Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:50:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661424 times)
christie

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 01:57:19 AM

I'm looking forward for accurate comparing calculations.

utopianfuture (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 01:58:52 AM

I'm looking forward for accurate comparing calculations.

What's " accurate comparing calculations." ?

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
hamiltino

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:06:56 AM

I think you guys are really setting yourselves up for disappointment. If each stake is worth 1 BTC when it starts trading we did well.  It will start trading at full supply and there will be a bunch of stakeholders wanting to sell immediately. Just chill on the short-term price.

1BTC per stake would only give NEM a marketcap of 1.8million, that is to say Zetacoin, Megacoin, Infinitecoin, Feathercoin, amongst others will be worth more than NEM. These coins are just copy paste clones with a few minor tweaks to the code. 1 NEM stake i can almost guarantee will be worth more than 1 bitcoin.

stacking coin
YYY999

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:28:43 AM

The author also in operation the currency
sft

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 03:33:37 AM

I think nem is best to have a unique application, such as encryption software or encrypted social messaging system.
lexicon

Activity: 279
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 04:13:12 AM

What am I missing. Keep in mind I dont know a whole lot about counterparty or how this nxt thing you are talking about either. And my guess is a lot of other people dont either.

But they may want to learn about this stuff, and purchase a stake of a crypto 2.0 to learn how this stuff works in the future.

What i was talking about in relation to nxt is listing the stakes on the AE so they would be able to trade them as if they have the coins. It would mean any one with .1 btc could buy a little piece of nem

Read this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426303.msg6673180#msg6673180

And nem is a 2.0 coin so if you cnt figure out how to use a 2.0 coin then no point in bidding on nem. And if cn but dnt want to.. Why would you bid? If anything, having to set up a nxt account and use it is a good test to see if you can even use the software. If not then it would be a good idea to sell your stake or not bid.

The stakes can still be auctioned in the forum

Why are your encouraging someone not to become involved in NEM that wants too?

You do realize what you just did. Us tech people need to remember that we need to ENCOURAGE non-tech people to become involved, AND make it super easy to do so. NEM is not a special club for computer geeks, it is for everybody.

If someone wants to get NEM and LEARN with NEM, let's not tell them to not to. lol
lexicon

Activity: 279

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 04:26:17 AM

I just pray that the wallet is one click install.

And if this thread turns into, "my wallet wont sync, and I see..."

And people are posting

"just do this:

and you should be okay".

I'm gonna come and throw tomatoes!!

LOL

Let's make it easy to use, or all this work was for nothing. I have so much excitement for NEM coming soon and I don't want anything to F%$& it up!!

I love NEM!! Kiss

gsxrl3oi

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 05:37:22 AM

And people are posting

"just do this:

and you should be okay".

LOL

Let's make it easy to use, or all this work was for nothing. I have so much excitement for NEM coming soon and I don't want anything to F%$& it up!!

I love NEM!! Kiss

Im sure it will be. I trust the dev team.
howi53

Activity: 127

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 05:39:37 AM

And people are posting

"just do this:

and you should be okay".

I love NEM!! Kiss

1+

Life is like a chicken ladder - short and shitty
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 06:05:29 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2014, 06:26:15 AM by patmast3r

What I am really wondering. Don't know if it came up anywhere by now.

Will NEM be easy to use? Like foolproof easy.
Cryptos are all nice and superior and grand technology and all. But what about usability?

Will the coin be designed in a way that average joy can use it without double or triple checking every transaction to make sure he doesn't send his money to a wrong place while still being secure?

This point is utterly important. Without ease of use NEM will be just another niche product for pretty smart people with a paranoid touch. And with ease of use I mean as easy and secure as having a bank account.

And I mean everyday secure. Not SHTF secure.

Secure as having a bank account ? I sure hope it's more secure than that.

The goal has always been to make the client as easy as possible. However people need to understand that with advanced functionality comes a certain kind of necessary complexity. As easy as possible doesn't always mean every idiot can use it without any problems because it's just not possible to make it THAT easy. Especially for the open alpha people should keep this in mind.
Also people are to lazy to figure things out. Look at this thread. People are too lazy to check a few pages back or simply check the first page. Instead they constatly ask what's new and where to get NEM. If those people run into minor problems they will be here moaning so I expect a lot of that no matter how perfect the client is. It's just what the internet has made people.

Secondleo

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 06:30:16 AM

Cryptos are all nice and superior and grand technology and all. But what about usability?

Will the coin be designed in a way that average joy can use it without double or triple checking every transaction to make sure he doesn't send his money to a wrong place while still being secure?

This point is utterly important. Without ease of use NEM will be just another niche product for pretty smart people with a paranoid touch. And with ease of use I mean as easy and secure as having a bank account.

The goal has always been to make the client as easy as possible. However people need to understand that with advanced functionality comes a certain kind of necessary complexity. As easy as possible doesn't always mean every idiot can use it without any problems because it's just not possible to make it THAT easy. Especially for the open alpha people should keep this in mind.

Price Question:
Which user of a wider audience actually cares about advanced functionality?
Most of these Features are impressive, but useless for everyday use. It's a bit like our current monetary System. I use my bank account. I withdraw, deposit and move Money. Those are the functions I Need.
The monetary System offers the stock Exchange and Banks and inner works and whatnot in the Background, but I don't have easy Access to them, I don't Need to have and most important, I don't want to.

And actually, a bank account is a lot more secure than any crypto wallet or System.
When was Money from a bank account stolen the last time? Mind, I don't talk about a crisis or inherent Problems of the system, Devaluation, apocalyptic circumstances, Aliens or Zombies.
I'm talking about someone beeing able to invade my Computer and steal my stuff.

Mentioning that it is easy to avoid is not a valid Argument. It is easy for you and it is easy for me. It is not easy for a lot of other People. You have to know what you do. You have to Keep your Computer safe. I can do it, you can do it, my grandma can't. Neither my mom and my dad struggles as well. My uncle is completly incompetent.
But those are the People that might be interested to use NEM as what it primarily is meant to be. A currency.

So, once again back to start.
I'm wondering. Does the NEM Team have any People in there for human interfacing. UI design.
I'm sure NEM will be powerfull. I'm sure NEM will be beautifully coded. But what it boils down to at the end is: "is it trivial to use?"

So, is there a UI designer in the Team or is it once again a programmer circlejerk?

Maybe someone here remembers minecraft. It was beautiful in the beginning and moved in a wonderful direction. Then Notch (A designer with programming skills) left and handed the development over to programmers.
There are now 4 times as many People working on the Project as initially. And they achieve almost nothing.
Mind, the code is beautiful by now. It's wonderful to look at. But they spent years developing something in the Background that is utterly meaningless to the People who use the product. It has become a programmer circlejerk.
patmast3r

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 06:39:33 AM

Price Question:
Most of these Features are impressive, but useless for everyday use. It's a bit like our current monetary System. I use my bank account. I withdraw, deposit and move Money. Those are the functions I Need.
The monetary System offers the stock Exchange and Banks and inner works and whatnot in the Background, but I don't have easy Access to them, I don't Need to have and most important, I don't want to.

And actually, a bank account is a lot more secure than any crypto wallet or System.
When was Money from a bank account stolen the last time? Mind, I don't talk about a crisis or inherent Problems of the system, Devaluation, apocalyptic circumstances, Aliens or Zombies.

Mentioning that it is easy to avoid is not a valid Argument. It is easy for you and it is easy for me. It is not easy for a lot of other People. You have to know what you do. You have to Keep your Computer safe. I can do it, you can do it, my grandma can't. Neither my mom and my dad struggles as well. My uncle is completly incompetent.
But those are the People that might be interested to use NEM as what it primarily is meant to be. A currency.

I'm wondering. Does the NEM Team have any People in there for human interfacing. UI design.
I'm sure NEM will be powerfull. I'm sure NEM will be beautifully coded. But what it boils down to at the end is: "is it trivial to use?"

So, is there a UI designer in the Team or is it once again a programmer circlejerk?

Maybe someone here remembers minecraft. It was beautiful in the beginning and moved in a wonderful direction. Then Notch (A designer with programming skills) left and handed the development over to programmers.
There are now 4 times as many People working on the Project as initially. And they achieve almost nothing.
Mind, the code is beautiful by now. It's wonderful to look at. But they spent years developing something in the Background that is utterly meaningless to the People who use the product. It has become a programmer circlejerk.

Money from bank accounts is stolen everyday. Bad people make a living with that. As soon as you use online banking you're entire security is the hands of your bank. If your bank has a bad ssl implementation or something like that your bank account will be empty soon. With mobile payment apps and stuff like that the attack vector just gets bigger and bigger. You can argue that you don't use online banking but then I can argue that I will only use paper wallets. 

Yes there is a designer in the team and also a front-end developer (actually multiple designer and UI-devs but only 1 each are afaik working on the client.).

I think we need to define here what advanced functionality is. Anything except payment ? If so then I can tell you that it will be very easy with our client allthough I can't go into specifics right now because I'm not sure it'll be in the alpha and I don't want to spoil shit.

italcoin

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 07:24:21 AM

And people are posting

"just do this:

and you should be okay".

I love NEM!! Kiss

1+

+1 WOW what a community for NEM! I'm very proud to be here
dewey556

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 07:36:46 AM

This is awesome last time I checked it was like 10.000

(Read 175921 times)

TDJIQW-ROPLSR-IF6NCA-2WJM6B-IRHGUO-LYVZ2A-BXIN
xtester

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 07:49:42 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2014, 07:43:53 PM by xtester

Here is a good article with a case study speaking about the big difference simple design can make.

http://firstround.com/article/Simple-Design-is-What-You-Need-Not-What-You-Want-1

As patmast3r said, we don't need idiotic simplicity, we need intuitive(Apple like) simplicity.

A good test when creating things would be to ask: "How would Steve Jobs make this?"

Update: Seems the startup mentioned in the article above just raised $80 Million in a valuation of $800 Million. Not bad.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2014/05/14/disruptive-healthcare-start-up-oscar-raises-80-million-valuation-nears-1-billion/

jnuqsx

Activity: 142

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:04:42 AM

(Read 175921 times)

400+page soon
5Dzz

Activity: 188

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:16:38 AM

(Read 175921 times)

400+page soon

Nice !!!    Smiley
patmast3r

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:20:22 AM

(Read 175921 times)

400+page soon

Nice !!!    Smiley

Let's celebrate that with an oldie but goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69fPof-ZTnU

yeah...REAL old (prob wasn't born) but I'm into it Smiley

Secondleo

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:27:35 AM

Price Question:

Money from bank accounts is stolen everyday. Bad people make a living with that. As soon as you use online banking you're entire security is the hands of your bank. If your bank has a bad ssl implementation or something like that your bank account will be empty soon. With mobile payment apps and stuff like that the attack vector just gets bigger and bigger. You can argue that you don't use online banking but then I can argue that I will only use paper wallets. 

Yes there is a designer in the team and also a front-end developer (actually multiple designer and UI-devs but only 1 each are afaik working on the client.).

I think we need to define here what advanced functionality is. Anything except payment ? If so then I can tell you that it will be very easy with our client allthough I can't go into specifics right now because I'm not sure it'll be in the alpha and I don't want to spoil shit.

Glad to hear some people which will look into that matter are on board.

And yes, you're right. I don't use online banking. I'm slightly paranoid when it comes to this. Sadly, online banking is the only modus operandi we can provide at the moment. I really doubt this will change anytime soon.

Besides that there are also problems like losing the private key (is there one with NEM? ), typing in the wrong address and hard to read addresses.

May it be possible to think about all those things before NEMs code won't permit any change in those directions?

Are there solutions to those things? I heard at least the problem of addresses typed wrong should be solveable to some extend.
patmast3r

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:34:40 AM

Glad to hear some people which will look into that matter are on board.

And yes, you're right. I don't use online banking. I'm slightly paranoid when it comes to this. Sadly, online banking is the only modus operandi we can provide at the moment. I really doubt this will change anytime soon.

Besides that there are also problems like losing the private key (is there one with NEM? ), typing in the wrong address and hard to read addresses.

May it be possible to think about all those things before NEMs code won't permit any change in those directions?

Are there solutions to those things? I heard at least the problem of addresses typed wrong should be solveable to some extend.

If you loose your private-key you're screwed. That's just how it is with asymmetric cryptography. That's why you should always back it up (i.e. backing up your wallet)

Regarding the addresses - this is will certainly be handled in one way or another.

Pages: « 1 ... 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: