Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:42:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 [334] 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661420 times)
TauMuon

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:34:00 PM

The /r/NEM link was removed from the NXT subreddit sidebar... What did we do to deserve this?!  Cry

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 11:45:50 PM

The /r/NEM link was removed from the NXT subreddit sidebar... What did we do to deserve this?!  Cry

actually I can clarify this.

I am a mod at /r/NXT and I posted a thread on the nxt forum asking what should be changed. And all people there said NEM is clearly distancing themself from NXT so there is no reason whatsoever to link there.

Do you disagree?

Jaguar0625

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:48:08 PM

i had an idea! (again) lol

have a competition for news outlets (bitcoin magazine, coin desk, cryptocoinsnews ect)

prize of 1 stake split 6:3:2 = 1st 2nd 3rd place

for best article written and published about what nem is, the amazing work going into nem, and where/what nem plans to be in the future.

we could use the new marketing guy(s) or a dev to do interviews with the news outlets to give them a real indepth idea of whats going on!

the upside is these news outlets will them have a fair amount of nem and want to post more articles to help spread the word about there new investment

have links to all the articles posted here so that everyone(only stake holders to prevent gaming) can bote on the best article.

the article must be tweeted also as a requirement for entry into the competition!

thoughts?

I think setting up an email interview between the developers and a cryptocurrency news website is a great idea. They'd probably write an article on NEM regardless, without the incentive of a stake reward to be honest; they're always looking for new stories.

However, this is something to think about more seriously when there is a working alpha, or perhaps at release. Then the developers will have concrete facts to talk about and show off, including a whitepaper etc.

I definitely agree that we will need media coverage, but I would be somewhat cautious of "paying" for coverage because that could easily look like a bribe. It would also probably go against journalistic ethics.

I also agree that we should wait until the alpha Smiley.

NEM - nem.io
Jaguar0625

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:50:26 PM

i want to learn java but i want to stay clear away from the "w3schools" types of sites where half the shit is just wrong or not the "optimal" way to do something... :/

Why do you want to learn Java? What do you want to do with it? Java is a "safe" language, but it's not always the best choice.

NEM - nem.io
utopianfuture (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:27:56 AM

I am a mod at /r/NXT and I posted a thread on the nxt forum asking what should be changed. And all people there said NEM is clearly distancing themself from NXT so there is no reason whatsoever to link there.

Do you disagree?

Well /r/NXT is still at /r/NEM so I think we deserve to be at /r/NXT as well, but seeing none of other cryptos are at sidebar of /r/NXT I would certainly not insisting Smiley

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 12:50:26 AM

Do you disagree?

Well /r/NXT is still at /r/NEM so I think we deserve to be at /r/NXT as well, but seeing none of other cryptos are at sidebar of /r/NXT I would certainly not insisting Smiley

I put NEM there, but I understand why the NXT majority wanted it removed.

makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 12:55:45 AM

Which branch of NIS is this? All branches?

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
U

Activity: 503
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:58:46 AM

Do you disagree?

NEM should be on r/NXT.

Bitcoin Ethereum TERA
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 01:02:04 AM

I have a question about the NEM client. My family has only one computer, is it safe to run a node while other family members use the same PC? I would like to be able to foraging 24-7 and am concerned that my brother might inadvertently or purposely transfer out some NEM. Are the NEM wallet functions locked while foraging? If not, can it have a user selectable wallet mode and foraging only mode?

This is an interesting user interface concern.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 01:03:02 AM

So is the coin generation called 'foraging' then? Is this final? I'm not sure I like it... it's not a word suited to a highly technological platform. 'Foraging' brings images to mind of people rummaging in bushes or shrubs to find berries or something...

To me, a word like 'minting' sounds much better.

"A node can mint NEM at a rate according to the unique PoI algorithm."

I just think it sounds better. Has a ring to it. Thoughts?

+1

I cannot stand the term "foraging". I'm glad to see someone else has an issue with this.

"Minting" does sound a lot better, but that word refers more to the creation aspect. Qubic's Network PoW is like our PoI, and they use "Minted" to describe how Qubic's are created and "Providers" are the nodes.

Here are the two posts on this subject:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426303.msg5850252#msg5850252
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426303.msg5852350#msg5852350

At that time "Guarding" is what I came up with, but later chanc3r mentioned the word "Validating", which I like better.
"Validating" and "Providers" are good descriptions, but let's work on this and come up with the perfect name.

Please, anything but "foraging".

Yeah, the more I think about it 'foraging' sounds worse and worse... you wouldn't 'fish' or 'hunt' for coins would you?

Why would using 'forging' be a bad thing anyway? Every single PoW coin uses the word 'mining' despite differences in their individual algorithms. If 'foraging' was an attempt to be different than NXT then it's failed; it looks like exactly the same word at a glance.

How about "harvesting" or "reaping" ? so harvester or reaper. Forging is not a good word neither because the process does not resemble "forging" anything.

Have a good harvesting season. I have been harvesting NEM all nights.

I like "harvesting." It sounds friendly and life-giving.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
Jaguar0625

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:03:15 AM

i want to learn java but i want to stay clear away from the "w3schools" types of sites where half the shit is just wrong or not the "optimal" way to do something... :/

Why do you want to learn Java? What do you want to do with it? Java is a "safe" language, but it's not always the best choice.

iv been doing java in college(not a full 3rd level degree) so i thought it would be best to stick with what i have experience in..

i want to be able to build stand alone programs and hopefully at some point work on crypto coins and build web apps.... what language is nem written in?

what language would you suggest as the best for a variety of uses and most functional.. i know some languages can limit you to what you can do(am i right?) but i dont want that..

im not worried about the "difficulty" of a particular language.. i found java insanely easy(the stuff we done in college)

also im willing to pay for a decent online course so any suggestions there would be helpful?

NEM core is being written in Java but there are some ancillary things being written in Python. This doesn't necessarily mean that Java was the *best* choice, but it was thought to be the most expedient.

Most of the V1 crypto coins have been written in C++ and most of the V2 ones have been written in Java. Of course, there are exceptions. Skycoin is being written in golang and C, for example.

If you don't have experience with a functional language, I would strongly recommend learning Python. And, for web apps, imo, functional languages are much better suited than traditional languages. For web apps, I would recommend Python / tornado or node.js.

But, the key thing to remember is that there is not one *best* language. A language is just a tool and some languages - like tools - are better suited for some problems than others.

NEM - nem.io
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 01:03:55 AM

So is the coin generation called 'foraging' then? Is this final? I'm not sure I like it... it's not a word suited to a highly technological platform. 'Foraging' brings images to mind of people rummaging in bushes or shrubs to find berries or something...

To me, a word like 'minting' sounds much better.

"A node can mint NEM at a rate according to the unique PoI algorithm."

I just think it sounds better. Has a ring to it. Thoughts?

+1

I cannot stand the term "foraging". I'm glad to see someone else has an issue with this.

"Minting" does sound a lot better, but that word refers more to the creation aspect. Qubic's Network PoW is like our PoI, and they use "Minted" to describe how Qubic's are created and "Providers" are the nodes.

Here are the two posts on this subject:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426303.msg5850252#msg5850252
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426303.msg5852350#msg5852350

At that time "Guarding" is what I came up with, but later chanc3r mentioned the word "Validating", which I like better.
"Validating" and "Providers" are good descriptions, but let's work on this and come up with the perfect name.

Please, anything but "foraging".

Yeah, the more I think about it 'foraging' sounds worse and worse... you wouldn't 'fish' or 'hunt' for coins would you?

Why would using 'forging' be a bad thing anyway? Every single PoW coin uses the word 'mining' despite differences in their individual algorithms. If 'foraging' was an attempt to be different than NXT then it's failed; it looks like exactly the same word at a glance.

Follow me and I will make you fishers of NEM.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 01:05:55 AM

% that entire foraging discussion %

Let's take a step back and think about what the actual process is.

People are collecting transactions and build blocks to extend the blockchain. This is to secure the network. Most people do it so they can collect the fees.

Now what single word describes this aptly ?

Imho there are 3 possible aspects to go for:

• building of the blockchain: bookkeeping, accounting, reporting, block building, ledger keeping, recording, ...
  • collecting fees: fee collecting, encash, levy, ...
  • supporting/securing the network: validating, ...

I'm sure people can think of better words I just wanted to outline what should imho be kept in mind.

Scavenging?
Begging?
Taxing?

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
KimNg

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:59:12 AM

Anyone among our stakeholders that has some experience with the legal implications of running an exchange ?

Maybe this guy can answer your questions, Juan Llanos.
His TEDx Talk is interesting "Digital Currencies Like Bitcoin Are Coming (And It's a Good Thing)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GL9PTQiqxw

At the 2:03m mark there is a map showing that 53% of adults in the world do not have access to financial services.
A NEM wallet can solve that problem!

He has AML/CFT and Risk Management Credentials
www.contrariancompliance.com/about/
www.cointelegraph.com/post/juan_llanos
www.cointelegraph.com/post/juan_llanos_at_tedxmidatlantic_if_money_doesn_t_flow_life_doesn_t_flow

Eadeqa

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:29:12 AM

I wonder if you encountered the same ECDSA problem as BCNext? He didn't want to implement Java's native library ECDSA. He picked ED25519 but the implementation available was too slow. He didn't want to use C version as that would mean losing Java's portability (would require different compiled version for various platforms). He made a risky choice with untested implementation of curve25519, but it turned eventually (after few hickups) just fine https://gist.github.com/doctorevil/9521116

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
hashtag101

Activity: 419

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:20:47 AM

The /r/NEM link was removed from the NXT subreddit sidebar... What did we do to deserve this?!  Cry

Do you disagree?

NEM should be on r/NXT.

We should keep our link to them there. I think it should be there. If they are intimidated that's their problem. We should continue to be confident.

They are a system that is similar to ours in some ways. We should strive to keep our subreddit as best a resource as possible. That link would be a part of that.
SomethingElse

Activity: 210

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:46:50 AM

Bitcoin to MIT students for free.  Now bitcoin will have an entire micro-economy for the first time ever.  The importance of bitcoin having a unified presence in a complete micro economy, if only a small percentage can not be underestimated.  This is truly a groundbreaking milestone for bitcoin. 

http://bitcoin.mit.edu/announcing-the-mit-bitcoin-project/

Quite a while back I wrote about this exact thing here hoping that we could do it with NEM.  I am not sure if it would work now, but I still think there is a chance to somehow make something happen. 

http://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=42.msg487#msg487

NEM
dodgecharger

Activity: 1005
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:33:24 AM

Are we still in need of a good designer?

If there would be some development stake left and we would still need someone, I think we could really benefit in a lot of ways by having a very skilled designer with some solid experience.

There is a designer who created a great website for CommunityCoin in about 2 days, he's a pretty skilled professional designer with a serious portofolio. You can check the website and offer some feedback as to whether such a spot is still open or not. http://www.communitycoin.info/

very good professional

http://www.markoprljic.com/portfolio.html
johnalt

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:41:59 AM

does this coin worth to buy?

JKBtCn

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:11:28 AM

The strategic incorporation of an ecosystem with a certain blockchain will ultimately decide the success of each system. I think everyone fully understand that Coinbase+Bitpay+Gift together probably account for 50% of Bitcoin valuation, so developing an ecosystem is of paramount importance and in this aspect we also have certain strategies and philosophies that in the end may matter a great deal more than any single feature of the blockchain. In this aspect, NEM initial token allocation could play a certain important role.

Very interesting.

Ufuture: could you please elaborate

NXT-XFAH-7N9C-6AS6-B3GLZ                BTC: 1MMzqYNNqQMMhY524Z9ThuQrRQW2whCmGk
NHZ: 8709719431783299770                 QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE | Qi24ssRqmEo3Wepv9pgdmqNuTDKQByiEfd
Pages: « 1 ... 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 [334] 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: