Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:59:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 216 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [888] [SCRYPT] OctoCoin ◦ The Power of Eight ◦ Don't Blink  (Read 297646 times)
swainzag

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 04:08:33 PM

Anyone still playing OctoChance? http://octo-chance.fedaykin.us:3000/ 

Still nearly 2 weeks left in August, let's not lose hope now!

murrayCOIN - The Only Currency Worthy of the Name
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thenotfatguy

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:20:42 PM

Anyone still playing OctoChance? http://octo-chance.fedaykin.us:3000/ 

Still nearly 2 weeks left in August, let's not lose hope now!

Hope is definitely not lost on my end, although I cannot speak for the community as a whole.

OctoCoin has been and still very much is like a story waiting to be told. Jumping ship before anything has really begun is silly. I do understand the frustration in the deadlines which are now much overdue, and must admit that at one point or another I did let the uncertainty get to me, but it just wouldn't be right for me to leave this great community here and honestly the limited communication with the devs along with bholzer's reassurance intrigues me to ride this out till the end (as was originally planned). It takes a tremendous amount of faith in those behind this project to continue holding and investing more, but it is those that take the greatest risks that also receive the greatest rewards.

In other news, OctoCoin is hitting a high in 24hr volume today over the past month or so, which definitely shows promise, whether it be someone picking up cheap Octos, or someone with more than a hunch strategically buying in anticipation of something to come...

888 - 8bse7MESKBNGz9BixUCo5Z1cKJKVV5tZC7
karkkis

Activity: 74

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:03:34 PM

My biggest fear for this project is the external funding...or the so called "investors"..

- I believe they represent the "old" money...you know.. people with capital acquired from oldskool investing and business, and are playing the venture capitalists/business angels now in the bitcoin world, because they read about it in Financial Times once.

- Maybe they have accidentally ventured into some altcoin threads here, witnessed the fud, swearwords, bad behaviour, pumps'n'dumps and who knows what rotten happens inside this little circle, got scared, and decided to pull the plug altogether.... they don't want to be associated with this shitcoin scamworld, or simply don't want to be mt.Goxed.... So they pull out the funding and re-invest in silver and shares of coca-cola....  yikes

- If that happens, or happened, the devs would simply vanish onto some other things....greener pastures here and there. who knows..

- Anyways... I'm still 100% in, because I want to know how this story's next chapter is written.

Cu.
madmartyk
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1030

Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:24:05 PM

I totally agree, look at SysCoin, 1500 BTC ICO, the FUD there has been awful.  If I was a newbie interested in crypto and saw the crap there, I would go back to penny stocks in a heartbeat.

cryptoxx

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:18:07 PM

We’ve invested various amounts of time, energy and money into Octocoin, based on claims from the developers.

It’s been eleven days since we were told the first app was expected to be released, and no app has been launched, and no news has come from the devs.

Must they tell us why nothing’s been released? No. No one can make them.

But I think the developers have a moral obligation to be more upfront about what’s going on.

I agree.

The developers are treating this great community like crap.
frameLAlife

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 12:23:24 AM

I'm still hanging around. The news has been dead lately but I'm still holding and buying. I think we will hear from the devs before the end of the month. Who knows what issues they have had and Bholzer did let us know what he heard on the conference call.

Since this coin launched we have had a history of the devs disappearing. It's annoying but it's not surprising. It's just part of it. They release news when they feel like it and i can deal with that.

I am actually surprised that the price range of Octo has stayed within the normal fluctuation with Bitcoin and most alts being down...

Well I will keep an eye here and hope we get some good news soon. We have stalled on the tshirt plans for now. We were having an issue with our screen printer and since the board and coin are kind of in an interim news period we will wait until it picks up some steam to get back to the tees.

www.ptcrypto.com YOUR Bitcoin consultants!
BTC 13TQitBTzADXpYsDMRjDqFuGaw8m1JZ2YE
syncsam

Activity: 172

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:54:13 AM

It unfortunately doesn't show any professionalism, if you come out with a date, Aug 1st, and you can't make that date, a quick msg saying its will be 2/3/4/5/6 weeks away is what they should have done, its only takes a minute

<edit> it would also put the entire community at ease, not feeling like we being ignored or god forbid the other situation I won't mention
th0ms0n

Activity: 66

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:11:39 AM

We’ve invested various amounts of time, energy and money into Octocoin, based on claims from the developers.

It’s been eleven days since we were told the first app was expected to be released, and no app has been launched, and no news has come from the devs.

Must they tell us why nothing’s been released? No. No one can make them.

But I think the developers have a moral obligation to be more upfront about what’s going on.

I agree.

The developers are treating this great community like crap.

they are not, some day you'll understand.. just relax
karkkis

Activity: 74

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:40:56 PM

Agreed.

Let's not start to sound like a bunch of whining kids!  Cool

Part of the parcel and appeal of Octocoin are the mysterious devs, who disappear and re-appear at strange intervalls...
octoman

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:54:01 PM

So still no sign of the bearded ladies?
frameLAlife

Activity: 378

Yessir.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 05:29:42 PM

I just ate lunch and i'm about stuffed as an octopus.

www.ptcrypto.com YOUR Bitcoin consultants!
BTC 13TQitBTzADXpYsDMRjDqFuGaw8m1JZ2YE
joshycoin

Activity: 90

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:08:14 PM

People hear what they want to hear... Including myself. Everyone is hung up on the August 1st thing. I was too until Frame reminded me (and showed me the old post) that August first was a hope of theirs. The REAL time table for the App(s) was the end of August. So... having said that... this "lack of news" since they "didn't deliver on the 1st" doesn't actually exist. Now, I have said 1,000 times, "Why can't they just pop in real quick and give us a small update?". Work just ended for me for the day but I am making time to post this, so why can't they? However, I think everyone is getting overly excited over a misread.

My point is this: Be patient, it will happen. Bholzer gave us some news and he hasn't proven to be untrustworthy, so we just need to be happy with that. Until then, lets smile and count our coins like Scrooge McDuck. If August comes and goes without at least a small update... THEN we can riot lol jk (sort of).
octoman

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:26:13 PM

People hear what they want to hear... Including myself. Everyone is hung up on the August 1st thing. I was too until Frame reminded me (and showed me the old post) that August first was a hope of theirs. The REAL time table for the App(s) was the end of August. So... having said that... this "lack of news" since they "didn't deliver on the 1st" doesn't actually exist. Now, I have said 1,000 times, "Why can't they just pop in real quick and give us a small update?". Work just ended for me for the day but I am making time to post this, so why can't they? However, I think everyone is getting overly excited over a misread.

My point is this: Be patient, it will happen. Bholzer gave us some news and he hasn't proven to be untrustworthy, so we just need to be happy with that. Until then, lets smile and count our coins like Scrooge McDuck. If August comes and goes without at least a small update... THEN we can riot lol jk (sort of).

I say NAIL THEM UP!! NAIL SOME SENSE INTO THEM!!
BeardedCouncil

Activity: 67

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:59:37 AM

We have a couple of pictures of our last prototype glass before we start taking orders. It's 3am here and I need to sleep now but I'll update tomorrow.
crunner

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:09:07 AM

I have no knowledge of the status of any of the initiatives hinted at by the developers in previous posts, but it's not useful to accuse them of treating the Octo community badly simply because they're not posting updates.

Updates - even short ones - move the market. Up, down, sideways, whatever. Complaining that the developers are somehow demonstrating insufficient respect for the community is roughly akin to demanding inside information from a company you hold stock in and complaining when they refuse. There's a reason it's illegal for company executives to trade on the knowledge of what's going on inside their organization - they could fleece shareholders. In the 'real' world the release of information that could affect the value of a publicly held security is highly regulated. NO such regulations exist in the crypto-currency world. That's why pump and dump schemes flourish - anybody can say anything they want.

There is no way the Octo developers are unaware of the rising levels of dismay being expressed on this forum/thread. They know. They are actively choosing to remain silent. You could take it as a sign of disrespect, but it's just as likely - possibly more so - that it's a sign of control and maturity.  Maybe, as I said in an earlier post, they want to improve their holdings before making an announcement they expect to affect the price. Maybe the projects aren't ready. Maybe there's a relationship with an exchange, financial institution, or other partner that is still being negotiated. I don't know.

It's possible, of course, that they've decided to abandon Octocoin for some reason. But I imagine we'd see some evidence of that in the market. I don't. I'm no expert, but there just doesn't seem to be the volume to support that.

Whatever their next move is, we don't need it quick. We need it right.
shellbunner

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:55:30 AM

There is no way the Octo developers are unaware of the rising levels of dismay being expressed on this forum/thread. They know. They are actively choosing to remain silent. You could take it as a sign of disrespect, but it's just as likely - possibly more so - that it's a sign of control and maturity.  
Whatever their next move is, we don't need it quick. We need it right.

+888

Stocked up on a fat chunk of Octo and patiently waiting for an update.
syncsam

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:28:43 AM

Text removed to keep post short

...You could take it as a sign of disrespect, but it's just as likely - possibly more so - that it's a sign of control and maturity...  

Would have to 100% disagree with you on this point,  not coming out with a revised timeframe is not a show of control or maturity, its a show of lack of professionalism, take any business IRL if they come out with an update saying a date and then not showing for weeks after that date, I very much doubt they would keep many customers.  And yes I said customers not investors, we are not the investors in this project, they have proper investors

<edit> and I think all a majority of people want is a revised estimate, not the plans to their secret lair in a hollowed out volcano
octoman

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:52:06 AM

There's a reason it's illegal for company executives to trade on the knowledge of what's going on inside their organization - they could fleece shareholders. In the 'real' world the release of information that could affect the value of a publicly held security is highly regulated. NO such regulations exist in the crypto-currency world.

I agree with syncsam.

Also Crypto-currency is a new industry and at present only growing due to the release of information. until it becomes an established industry without information the customers (us) will slowly think of moving to a product (coin) where we have confidence that work is being done to promote it and move it forward - by being given information and being transparent.

Without us there is no demand for the coin, and it doesn't matter what the dev's have done, no one will invest in a coin that has no demand.

If this was an organisation with a product they would want to keep it in the lime light and keep releasing teasers (without giving away their stategies), to keep everyone interested and expecting. Look at any product iphone, galaxy tab et c. ALL bring it to the publics eye before it is even close to release just so they know it's there and about to come.

No one has asked for anything even close to insider trading - just a quick acknowledgement that the Devs are there and haven't abandoned us.
As it has already been said it's unprofessional of them not to respond.

People keep saying wait and see but they have as much information as the rest of us - so they are just hoping and wishing.
One guy has been on a conference calls and heard the dev's and relayed information but unless it comes from them directly it's all just rumours and rumours are not facts.
Anyone can make up rumours. Is this just a rumour?
Then again he hasn't told us anything new except "wait and see".

crunner

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 07:00:49 AM

Text removed to keep post short

...You could take it as a sign of disrespect, but it's just as likely - possibly more so - that it's a sign of control and maturity...  

Would have to 100% disagree with you on this point,  not coming out with a revised timeframe is not a show of control or maturity, its a show of lack of professionalism, take any business IRL if they come out with an update saying a date and then not showing for weeks after that date, I very much doubt they would keep many customers.  And yes I said customers not investors, we are not the investors in this project, they have proper investors

<edit> and I think all a majority of people want is a revised estimate, not the plans to their secret lair in a hollowed out volcano

There's a reason it's illegal for company executives to trade on the knowledge of what's going on inside their organization - they could fleece shareholders. In the 'real' world the release of information that could affect the value of a publicly held security is highly regulated. NO such regulations exist in the crypto-currency world.

I agree with syncsam.

Also Crypto-currency is a new industry and at present only growing due to the release of information. until it becomes an established industry without information the customers (us) will slowly think of moving to a product (coin) where we have confidence that work is being done to promote it and move it forward - by being given information and being transparent.

Without us there is no demand for the coin, and it doesn't matter what the dev's have done, no one will invest in a coin that has no demand.

If this was an organisation with a product they would want to keep it in the lime light and keep releasing teasers (without giving away their stategies), to keep everyone interested and expecting. Look at any product iphone, galaxy tab et c. ALL bring it to the publics eye before it is even close to release just so they know it's there and about to come.

No one has asked for anything even close to insider trading - just a quick acknowledgement that the Devs are there and haven't abandoned us.
As it has already been said it's unprofessional of them not to respond.

People keep saying wait and see but they have as much information as the rest of us - so they are just hoping and wishing.
One guy has been on a conference calls and heard the dev's and relayed information but unless it comes from them directly it's all just rumours and rumours are not facts.
Anyone can make up rumours. Is this just a rumour?
Then again he hasn't told us anything new except "wait and see".

These are reasonable counter-arguments, and there's not a whole lot of activity in the thread right now, so what the hell, I'll hit it back over the net.

The basic idea seems to be that there is some minimal level of communication that should be maintained between developers and the community, because:

1 - That's what companies do to keep their customers happy.
2 - As a new industry crypto-currencies require a regular flow of information to grow.

As a reminder, my basic point was that ANY information has the potential to move the market, which is a reasonable explanation for the silence we're experiencing. Just to be absolutely clear, I'd love to hear from the developers - I'm just not worried about the silence because I see tangible reasons why it could be happening.

Okay, so point #1 above: pretty sure you're an investor, not a customer. You did not purchase your Octo from the developers. You bought a highly-speculative, negotiable instrument traded on an open market. Like dollars. Or Euros. If you have dollars and buy Euros, who's the 'company' you bought them from? The EU? And what's Europe's responsibility for keeping you informed about what they're doing to make sure you're satisfied with your purchase? I'm not saying it's zero, btw. The EU does release information about it's economy and plans to support the value of the Euro. For people who've *invested* in Euros. The Euro isn't a product or service, per se, it's a currency, a medium for the exchange of value. Is there some level of communication necessary to keep market demons from freaking out? Sure. But again, my point wasn't that the developers shouldn't be talking to us. It was that there might be good reasons they're not at the moment.

Point #2: I agree that a lot more information needs to get out there so folks can start getting their heads around this crypto-currency world. If we don't get increased stability and utility and, I don't know, fungibility or some such then it's going to be long, hard slog to see the kind of value increases we're all hoping for. But the flow of 'information' in and of itself, isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it's bad information, as in the complete and utter bullshit anyone who's spent more than a week poking around alt-currencies has experienced. Sometimes it's speculative (e.g. we're hoping to accomplish X by a certain date) and if you miss the date then it has a net negative effect. My reference to insider trading was an attempt to point out that in and around 'real' markets the flow of information to current and potential investors is tightly controlled, because it's potentially dangerous. If you want to solicit angel investors for a venture in the US the kinds of disclaimers you have to attach to your offering documents are full of statements like "forward-seeking statements", "highly-speculative", etc. No such controls exist out here in the alt-currency wild west (one of the reasons many of us like it out here, presumably), so the developers of the various currencies are free to develop their own information strategies for success.

One of them might be to keep quiet until you've got something concrete to say.

You have piqued my curiosity, though: if they did announce a secret lair in a hollowed-out volcano, would that make the price rise? Or fall?
syncsam

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:33:20 AM

guarded by octopuses  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 216 »
  Print  

Jump to: