Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:12:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 725 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1260001 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 05:29:42 PM

Going on a short 48 hours trip. I don't know how frequently I'll have Internet access.

Please behave and leave the thread in a good shape.

This message was not intended towards any particular participant.

Guy
Yes sir  Cheesy
Now seriously there is nothing to worry about. People are happy product rocks what else Wink

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:34:39 PM

This message was not intended towards any particular participant.
Are you talking to me?

there is medication you can get for that.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
timmah

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:07:12 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2014, 02:48:18 AM by timmah

Nice story, but I don't know if I should believe a Newbie with one post.  Cheesy

What's not to believe in his post? That he got the unit earlier? This was already stated by me too and by some other members. That Spondoolies Tech was very helpful and prompt? Anything else?

Of course I hope the best with Spondoolies and really want to count on them to be a truly honest and moral company but now the home miners need to have a lot more capital or other funding otherwise or DC hosting as normal houses will not be able to run even 1 Neptune or one SP30 without major upgrades to 220-240v.  At that point, heat is a large issue, normal house AC will not be able to handle all the heat.

Spondoolies said they are trying to get a good DC deal for their customers so they already got that covered.

I saw that about the DC but I was specifically referring to people who may want to run this at home and do decide to get more than a couple.  As of now the 110-120v circuit on 20 amps (normal for house setups) will only work for 2 SP10s as that is over 2000w and 120v*20amps=2400w, so since most circuits service a whole room then you also have to be careful as anything else plugged in will be enough to trip your breaker.

Same deal with the heat, HVAC in homes are not made to handle that much heat, so you will have to install some more AC or a whole house fan, for the noise you have to consider noise proofing.  If it is in a common area like the living room you will most likely have to enclose the area.  I plan to do it with Plexi, like a small studio room but engineered for sound proofing and optimal air flow.

I have 3 45u racks single frame lifted above the floor by 8" and the 3 racks are about side to side, I had the electricians upgrade my house to 200amp and then run 0awg to a service panel right on the side of the wall where my racks are with a 125amp breaker and I filled that panel with 2 pole 20amp breakers.  This gives me 6 240 outlets as my living room is close enough to the main breaker box that there is no voltage drop.

This gives me 240v*100amp=24,000w.  With all my miners and the 4 SP10s I am pulling just over 10Kw, before this I had 10 Ant S1s, 6 Jupiters, 3 60Gh BFL + 4 Jallys (those are being used as a door stop at the moment).

So, I have barely used half of my available power and there are a lot of things that actually work on 220-240 as well as 120, most wall warts and laptop chargers work with both, PSUs actually are more efficient at 240v, in fact I find that most of my electronics that work at 240 are more efficient.  I have not tested plugging in my plasma TV into the 240 but I bet it would work, just don't want to test it at this point Wink.  Many things that don't even say they are rated to work at 240 do work at 240 and things like PSUs and from the looks at my plasma tv power board it converts the power to 240 before doing DC-DC to the rest of the components.  Using 240v skips the power loss in that process.

Before the SP10s were installed the living room was pretty much quiet, unless you were sitting next to the rack the sound DB was lower than 60 and with the low pitch of larger fans it is not as noticeable.  No issues watching TV.

Now that things are starting to heat up plus the heat from the SP10s the whole room plus kitchen is over 80f, my AC is on 100%, I will be installing a whole house fan that can pull over 7,000cfm right above the rack area and enclose it ASAP, before things get any hotter.

The electrician install cost $2k including permits, utility co upgrading my box, new main box and another breaker box for the 240.  This way my living room is at the normal 120v but my miners are all at 240v, plus what ever I get an ich to test on 240 Wink...

My racks are mounted on a 5x6 piece of plywood, raised with a 4x4 and 2x4 on top of that, I plan to drill holes so that air can be pulled in from the bottom.

There will be plenty of power once my other miners come but it's the heat and noise that will have to be dealt with.

Even if I were to host it at a DC the issue will be if that DC can handle the heat, these put out more heat than many servers and other rack mount devices and DCs are built to be cold but are made for hosting servers not really hot 100% running miners, I would be interested to see what the temp is for a server rack with just the SP10s filled to the max.

Then that also brings back the issue, I have already spent the money to host over 2Kw of miners and others may have done the same.  Also, even though Spoldoolies is trying to get a good deal for hosting in WA they said that was for over 50 machines.  Not quite something for the average miner, even the ones with a hundred g to spend.

So, point is that these do get hot and for people with 1 or 2 they may not be able to cool it adequately and not everyone wants to host their miners.

wanna4fun

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

noobie

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:56:35 PM

So, point is that these do get hot and for people with 1 or 2 they may not be able to cool it adequately and not everyone wants to host their miners.

I plan to host 3 sp10 and 3 sp30. I will cool it with air from the house (~20°C atm) and when temp will get higher i will buy an AC for the house. I will put it in a very small room but with high air flow. In add off, i don't plan to stock those appliance horizontal but vertically with a big fan on bottom and big extractor on top.
I believe that it will be good for several reason :
- heat goes up
- horizontal fan make less noise
- easier for me to stack it (the room is very tiny)

Here my plan :

The grey part will be stick to the appliances with a hole to make place for power supplies (I plan do to twice shown on picture).
The fan on bottom is... a fan, nothing more Cheesy
The air extractor will be something like this : http://www.cultureindoor.com/1299-extracteur-winflex-vk-100-mm-250-m3-h.html
Notice it's from a growshop, they do great pricing.

My last concern is about the bottom of appliance getting hot. I guess i will put 1/2 cm between each appliance and let the fan/extractor do the rest.

Last but not least, i hate the noise. really, badly, whatever... :@
So, i will isolate the door (got some good experience there) and catch the noise with self-adhesive acoustic foam. Already found some very good foam with an α (alpha Sabine) over 0.80 for frequency over 2kHz.

Of course, I've already installed the smoke detector, just in case off :p

Tell me what you think and, SP-T, please tell me if putting the miners vertically is a problem...

Regards,

PS:i shall be delivered on monday, tuesday, so expect pictures soon Smiley

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:15:23 PM

I thought nearly all US facilities were air-conditioned to the point that even in summer you need to wear a jacket indoors XD.

I guess if the temperature is regularly over 40°C some air conditioning might be apropriate?
Yes. 40°C is the maximum allowed ambient temperature from safety standpoint.

If, for some unknown reason, someone intend to operate his miner at above 40°C ambient temperature (say, some days in the summer in Israel without AC) we can update the firmware to allow it, at the expanse of hash-rate

I have a hosting environment in mind that is only above 35-40 very occasionally, and then only for a short time. The lost hash rate from the higher temperatures would therefore be minimal but I don't want to damage the equipment or create a safety hazard either.

zvisha

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:49:23 PM

I plan to host 3 sp10 and 3 sp30. I will cool it with air from the house (~20°C atm) and when temp will get higher i will buy an AC for the house. I will put it in a very small room but with high air flow. In add off, i don't plan to stock those appliance horizontal but vertically with a big fan on bottom and big extractor on top.
- heat goes up

Here my plan :

The grey part will be stick to the appliances with a hole to make place for power supplies (I plan do to twice shown on picture).
The air extractor will be something like this : http://www.cultureindoor.com/1299-extracteur-winflex-vk-100-mm-250-m3-h.html

My last concern is about the bottom of appliance getting hot. I guess i will put 1/2 cm between each appliance and let the fan/extractor do the rest.

So, i will isolate the door (got some good experience there) and catch the noise with self-adhesive acoustic foam. Already found some very good foam with an α (alpha Sabine) over 0.80 for frequency over 2kHz.

Tell me what you think and, SP-T, please tell me if putting the miners vertically is a problem...

Regards,

I think it's OK, but I will consult the board guys day after tomorrow (we have Passower holidays still). You can mail me at zvi@spondoolies-tech.com if something doesn't work on the SW side. We did some testing with acoustic foam chimney, it is possible and does help with the noise but you really need to know what you are doing because if you do it wrong you can burn your house. We do not encourage it and take no responsibility if something happens, but it is your miner Smiley

I am not sure that you will need the fan at the bottom, as long as there is good air flow in front and in back it will suck all the air it needs. The SW should protect the miner from overheating by downscaling voltage and then stopping the miner.
jimrome

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:49:47 PM

- heat goes up

Here my plan :

Regards,

I have a similar setup already. A couple of things to consider:
- do you have a very good handle on your airflow requirements? Until you do this you cannot size your fans or ductwork. Essentially what you need is to exceed the maximum cumulative airflow of the built-in fans of all your miners
- once you have this sorted you can size your ductwork and fans. I'd strongly suggest learning basics HVAC concepts unless you have experience in the area. I too have found that found that hydroponic websites (pot growers for the most part) have a ton of relevant info.
- If noise is a concern look into mixed flow fans, which produce high airflow and static pressure but can be very quiet. I'm very happy with my fans from the Soler and Palau TD silent series. Ensure the fans you purchase can handle the airflow temperature! Oh, and buy/use grills on your intakes! Also consider having a spare fan on hand!
- vertical stacking is great in theory (I actually run a vertical setup) but keep in mind practical considerations like access to power/data connections both at the wall and to your miners. It also can be much more awkward to swap equipment.
- do you have a plan for how you going to channel the air to force it through the miners? The airstream will take the path of least resistance, and the last thing you want is the air going around your miners and not through them Smiley
- you might want to look into ($$/size/noise) a central ac system which will support your airflow requirements in advance...
- I've found a thermal camera (e.g. Flir) is an incredibly useful tool (!!)
- finally, consider the impact if one if your fans fails in the middle of the night - I'm not overly familiar with Spondoolies miners, I imagine they have thermal shutdown capability?
wanna4fun

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

noobie

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 10:20:22 PM

I think it's OK, but I will consult the board guys day after tomorrow (we have Passower holidays still). You can mail me at zvi@spondoolies-tech.com if something doesn't work on the SW side. We did some testing with acoustic foam chimney, it is possible and does help with the noise but you really need to know what you are doing because if you do it wrong you can burn your house. We do not encourage it and take no responsibility if something happens, but it is your miner Smiley

I am not sure that you will need the fan at the bottom, as long as there is good air flow in front and in back it will suck all the air it needs. The SW should protect the miner from overheating by downscaling voltage and then stopping the miner.
I'm well aware that it can burn my house ^^ it's why i choose heat and fire resistance for the foam.  Shall be good, but i'll have a powder extinguisher next to the room in case of. If the miner stop by itself in case of overheat, it's fine, if not I'll email you or ofc post a message here for a best practice.
PS: enjoy the holiday and have a good rest !

@timmah:
- do you have a very good handle on your airflow requirements? Until you do this you cannot size your fans or ductwork. Essentially what you need is to exceed the maximum cumulative airflow of the built-in fans of all your miners
- once you have this sorted you can size your ductwork and fans. I'd strongly suggest learning basics HVAC concepts unless you have experience in the area. I too have found that found that hydroponic websites (pot growers for the most part) have a ton of relevant info.
People into it gave me advice on the setup. it's renewing more than 25times the air of the room each hour, grossomerdo, the air of the room is entirely renewed every 2/3 mns. I'm using solid aluminium ductwork and everything is fixed with aluminium tape.

- If noise is a concern look into mixed flow fans, which produce high airflow and static pressure but can be very quiet. I'm very happy with my fans from the Soler and Palau TD silent series. Ensure the fans you purchase can handle the airflow temperature! Oh, and buy/use grills on your intakes! Also consider having a spare fan on hand!
~36db for the fan, grills with filter (for dust) already installed. I will buy a spare fan, it's a good idea.
- vertical stacking is great in theory (I actually run a vertical setup) but keep in mind practical considerations like access to power/data connections both at the wall and to your miners. It also can be much more awkward to swap equipment.
about the connections, i've already worked it out, my installation will fit perfectly -i hope Grin-
for the switch of equipment, its a concern but I trust SP to make good equipment that does not fail every week.
- do you have a plan for how you going to channel the air to force it through the miners? The airstream will take the path of least resistance, and the last thing you want is the air going around your miners and not through them
yep, the grey part will be stick, not attached, to the pack of appliance + a fan below.
- you might want to look into ($$/size/noise) a central ac system which will support your airflow requirements in advance...
- I've found a thermal camera (e.g. Flir) is an incredibly useful tool (!!)
not relevant for me yet... i can cool down the house with only one AC. but i like the idea of the thermal camera !!
- finally, consider the impact if one if your fans fails in the middle of the night - I'm not overly familiar with Spondoolies miners, I imagine they have thermal shutdown capability?

zvisha answer that :

The SW should protect the miner from overheating by downscaling voltage and then stopping the miner.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 02:55:48 AM

Run them flat, the passive convection won't mean much compared to the airflow from the miners. Also the acoustic foam chimney is a bit of a misnomer, it changes the frequency profile of the noise rather than reducing it (confirmed).

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 02:55:57 AM

This company's rating has changed in the Manufacturer Trustworthiness Guide.

seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:13:34 AM

This company's rating has changed in the Manufacturer Trustworthiness Guide.

No offense but your guide is moot when you ranked KNC B+ .....

seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:21:28 AM

Run them flat, the passive convection won't mean much compared to the airflow from the miners. Also the acoustic foam chimney is a bit of a misnomer, it changes the frequency profile of the noise rather than reducing it (confirmed).

I disagree...

I've built several high end home theaters. There are products for building venting pipe for HT that completely removes noise travel even down to 50-60Hz ( BASS). Its essentially making a muffler using High temp rated acoustic pad (for hot air). Sound freq will be trapped and eliminated.

I can build a complete sound proof room while still have all venting system working. The hardest part is actually the entrance door (using double door , a room within a room)

Anyway, i dont think its even worth it to build a silent room for SP10, or SP30. Just remove all those 40mm fans completely and build an air chamber with bigger fans.  

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:25:47 AM

Anyway, i dont think its even worth it to build a silent room for SP10, or SP30. Just remove all those 40mm fans completely and build an air chamber with bigger fans.  

Have to agree with that. The 1.25 U form factor is pretty pointless. Bigger fans are much quieter, end of story.

Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 04:00:24 AM

Have to agree with that. The 1.25 U form factor is pretty pointless. Bigger fans are much quieter, end of story.

Shipping costs ?
Deployment in high density DC ?

Give us a bit credit we know what we're doing.

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 04:20:02 AM

I second this...

With all my due respect to Spondoolies-Tech's team, engineers and their hard work...and excellent product...

Seems like 1.25U choice was kind of "afterthought"...Why not the standard 2U unit...with nice 80mm fans, 2U server PSU...etc...
Just give me one reason 1.25U is so "better" than 2U...?

Just IMHO...Your decision/product...

ZiG

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 04:21:31 AM

Shipping costs ?

Okay maybe

Deployment in high density DC ?

For the most part, the power density is too high for data centers unless it is an exotic density DC (expensive).  42 kw per rack is off the charts.

That said you may have a speciality application in mind, for example sharing a data center with some existing or planned low power density application.

Give us a bit credit we know what we're doing.

Yeah, you probably do. I mostly meant it as a reply to the guy trying to figure out how to make them quieter in a home environment.  Mod the case and use bigger fans.

jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 04:35:22 AM

I mostly meant it as a reply to the guy trying to figure out how to make them quieter in a home environment.  Mod the case and use bigger fans.

Bigger fans have nothing to do with it. I believe it was confirmed that the psu is what makes them so noisy.
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 04:39:48 AM

I mostly meant it as a reply to the guy trying to figure out how to make them quieter in a home environment.  Mod the case and use bigger fans.

Bigger fans have nothing to do with it. I believe it was confirmed that the psu is what makes them so noisy.
Indeed. Still waiting for firmware fix from Emerson. Getting much better results with a larger model or other vendor.

Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 04:41:59 AM

The PSU has one or more small fans as well, though it does sound like that might eventually get quieter with a firmware fix.

Small fans have to spin faster to move air and are therefore almost always much noisier than bigger fans given the same cooling requirement. 1250 watts in 1.25 U is a lot. Cooling that with 40 mm fans will likely always be at least somewhat noisy.

Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 04:48:27 AM

The PSU has one or more small fans as well, though it does sound like that might eventually get quieter with a firmware fix.

Small fans have to spin faster to move air and are therefore almost always much noisier than bigger fans given the same cooling requirement. 1250 watts in 1.25 U is a lot. Cooling that with 40 mm fans will likely always be at least somewhat noisy.

Also correct.

We have fw control on the fans, so with proper ambient temperature, we can reduce the fan noise considerably.
Of course it also depends on the mining mode: "Quiet" / Normal / Turbo

Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 725 »
  Print  

Jump to: