Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:19:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 ... 725 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1260046 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:50:14 PM

Really? I'm from the UK so all the appliances I have support 240v. I believe the SP-30 takes 240v from the wall?
Will it be hard for me even to plug two machines to my wall? Is there any other way?
I doubt your room has a 39A circuit (circuit at ~99% load, 3 sp30s).

You could lay some more cables from other circuits to the room to increase the load you can provide.

Just go to your braker pannel and look up the rating for the braker(s) to that room.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4005

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:52:23 PM

@boscocoin

That AC is barely enough for ONE sp30.

When you say "in your room" I hope you do not mean that you will be staying in that room when the units are in there?

Evacuating 3kW of heat from a 2U case produces a significant amount of noise....

These sp30s are optimised for datacenter performance and not meant to be a home solution.
They can be a home solution with proper AC / airflow engineering, but hardly in a closed room.

Apart from the fact that AC equipment is expensive, running it also adds to your electricity bill, and unless you get WA state power rates, that will mean a big increase in your hosting cost.

Wow. Noise can be mitigated by buying an expensive ($5K) cabinet, but heat?
people just look at the production numbers and don't think about heat, which is a MAJOR issue (for home).
boscocoin

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:54:04 PM

@boscocoin

When you say "in your room" I hope you do not mean that you will be staying in that room when the units are in there?

Evacuating 3kW of heat from a 2U case produces a significant amount of noise....

These sp30s are optimised for datacenter performance and not meant to be a home solution.
They can be a home solution with proper AC / airflow engineering, but hardly in a closed room.

Apart from the fact that AC equipment is expensive, running it also adds to your electricity bill, and unless you get WA state power rates, that will mean a big increase in your hosting cost.

people just look at the production numbers and don't think about heat, which is a MAJOR issue (for home).

Ok I guess I will need to find a cheap hosting place in London. Anyone know any cheap ones in London I could go with? And the average costs per month including electricity?
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:54:41 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2014, 03:12:37 PM by Biodom

@boscocoin

In the back of my house I have a separate building which is being used as a music studio. I was planning to put the machines into a server rack and store them in that space with that air-conditioner. Are there any other ways I could keep them as a home solution? Maybe a different air-con? or server rack with cooling?

Consider contacting Advania (Iceland-close to you geographically) or one of multiple US locations and ship them there.
Edit: not sure if VAT will apply for Iceland, definetly no VAT for USA, but spond could definitely ship to both locations.
Brian_AdvaniaThor is the nick of their rep here on btctalk or look here for more, especially in US, although toomim brothers tapped out (currently)-michigan colocation, bobsag3 (minersource.net), carlos tapang (centerus.com), asicspace, etc. etc.:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.0
No VAT will save you 20% upfront-I think that it is a no-brainer (going with US or iceland).

You have to get on it, man...
Collider

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 02:55:18 PM

The Guy that builds these open racks for GPU mining also has a sound reduction cabinet for rackmountable gear for under $1K, and it works quite well.

THERE is no cheap hosting in London, UK electricity rates are too high.

Get spondoolies to send the units directly to a hosting facility of your choosing, that way you will not have to worry about VAT (and additional shipping costs).

Look for the hw hosting comparison thread in the service discussion subcategory of the marketplace.
boscocoin

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:04:39 PM

The Guy that builds these open racks for GPU mining also has a sound reduction cabinet for rackmountable gear for under $1K, and it works quite well.

Get spondoolies to send the units directly to a hosting facility of your choosing, that way you will not have to worry about VAT (and additional shipping costs).

Look for the hw hosting comparison thread in the service discussion subcategory of the marketplace.

Ok I will get them sent to a different hosting facility. Which country do you recommend for cheapest electricity and better service. Can I change the delivery address after I have placed the order for the SP-30's? How will the hosting work? The company will give me VPN access?
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 03:08:15 PM

Ok I will get them sent to a different hosting facility. Which country do you recommend for cheapest electricity and better service. Can I change the delivery address after I have placed the order for the SP-30's? How will the hosting work? The company will give me VPN access?

see my edited post above for locations. Iceland and some US sites are comparable. Yes, you can change address with spond, but need to do it before they shipped, obviously. Access varies (with VPN or without), but some even give you a dedicated IP address (michigan colocation).
wh00per

Activity: 571

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:25:00 PM

My take .. Keep one home to play with .. if you intend to do that. Once they're in the data centers, there's limited access to them.
if you host in USA, you won't need to pay VAT when you import the units you intend to send there .. I dunno about Iceland

CSA/cUL Certified Power Distribution Panels - Basic, Switched, Metered. 1-3 phases. Up to 600V. NMC:N4F9qvHz11BHcc4nh1LCJFsrZhA1EWgVwj
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:28:01 PM

Yes you can change the delivery address after you place your order. Just send an e-mail at sales@ and ask for a confirmation.

I use Advania and they provide VPN at request, but you need to have a 6 months minimum contract, but you pay monthly. They are a bit pricey, but they have better rates than your UK power rates. If you want cheaper power I would suggest bobsag3 solution. Take a look here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.0 for various other offers, but these 2 are a good starting point.

...if you host in USA, you won't need to pay VAT when you import the units you intend to send there .. I dunno about Iceland

No VAT in Iceland either.

wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 04:28:33 PM

My take .. Keep one home to play with .. if you intend to do that. Once they're in the data centers, there's limited access to them.
if you host in USA, you won't need to pay VAT when you import the units you intend to send there .. I dunno about Iceland
Whats there to play with, you want them to be up as long as possible. Get it hashing and then dont touch that mofo unless you have to!
wh00per

Activity: 571

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:08:57 PM

Whats there to play with, you want them to be up as long as possible. Get it hashing and then dont touch that mofo unless you have to!

I'm working on a small code change to enable the unit to log a small hashing data set to a database and set up alerts on it.
Without SSH access to it, I can't do that and test the wereabouts .. here's a sample output ..

Quote from: SPT historian json
{"CG_Uptime":5952,"MHS_Avg":4704506.04,"MHS_5s":4713962.81,"MHS_1m":4748876.82,"MHS_5m":4752360.92,"MHS_15m":4746689.88,"MHS_Now":"4562160",
"DegC_In":"27","DegC_TopOut":"77","DegC_BotOut":"73","UnitID":"SP3x","UnitSN":"FL14","UnitFW":"2.3.44","UnitMA":"D0:39:72:3D:1C:12","Unit_Uptime":593581,
"FreeMem":"368","PSUVolt_Top":"211","PSUVolt_Bot":"211","FAN":"80","VST":"670","VSB":"670","VMAX":"750","AC_TOP":"1295","AC_BOT":"1325","DC_AMP":"150",
"PSUWall_Top":"1440","PSUWatt_Top":"1296","PSUWall_Bot":"1488","PSUWatt_Bot":"1324","UnitCPULd_0":0.58,"UnitCPULd_1":0.72,"UnitCPULd_2":0.75}

I'm lnking the local hashrate value, with the detected pool hashrate and 1m-15m averages, with the line voltage, amperage at the wall for each PSU, intake and otput temperatures. The CPU load is there so that the script logging the data does not affect the computing capacity more than it should .. (I sanitized my serial number)

I hope that some hosting companies will use it to monitor all their SPT miners, they can even bill by the recorded KWh .. or as a logging tool to enforce Service Level Agreements Smiley if not, I'll still make good use of this. There's a lot to play with .. especially if you want to process SP10, SP20 and SP30 data with the same code.

CSA/cUL Certified Power Distribution Panels - Basic, Switched, Metered. 1-3 phases. Up to 600V. NMC:N4F9qvHz11BHcc4nh1LCJFsrZhA1EWgVwj
tempestb

Activity: 729

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:33:30 PM

I just vent my miners out a window.  The screen protects the miners from a squirrel making a nest in them.  No need to pay for cooling.  I've done it for over a year now with no issues other than noise, but these days I'm running S3's which are very quiet.  Probably wouldn't work with the jet engine noise level of the SP units.  Unless you live away from other people who would complain.

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
Collider

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:40:17 PM

I just vent my miners out a window.  The screen protects the miners from a squirrel making a nest in them.  No need to pay for cooling.  I've done it for over a year now with no issues other than noise, but these days I'm running S3's which are very quiet.  Probably wouldn't work with the jet engine noise level of the SP units.  Unless you live away from other people who would complain.
I have done a similar setup with 8 S3s, just pointed the end to a higher cfm fan, and it helped a lot. Temperatures at the intake side never reached more than 27°C.

Then again, spondoolies gear is probably a little more sensitive to heat, so simply extracting hot air will only work if the intake air is at a decent temperature, or you risk loosing some hashrate.
boscocoin

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 05:50:59 PM

Ok.. Hosting seems to be bit expensive. I have allocated some rack space in my room near the window. And also with my air-con. I'm not fussy about the noise. The only issue now would be the power coming off the wall. I know London sockets support 240v. If I do plug two of the units will there be any issues like the units blowing up or anything?

What is the worst that could happen? Just my trip would be turned off right?

I can change the electrics in the room. I had to manually create extra sockets which I fed off another power wire.
bobsmoke

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 06:11:03 PM

Ok.. Hosting seems to be bit expensive. I have allocated some rack space in my room near the window. And also with my air-con. I'm not fussy about the noise. The only issue now would be the power coming off the wall. I know London sockets support 240v. If I do plug two of the units will there be any issues like the units blowing up or anything?

I can change the electrics in the room. I had to manually create extra sockets which I fed off another power wire.

Each SP30 will consume up to 7 amperes and in an environment that does not have proper air flow will reach 80 Celsius easily on the back of the box ...
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 06:11:08 PM

You should call an electrician and inform him about your plans. The cost of re-wiring should be minimal.

boscocoin

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 06:17:14 PM

You should call an electrician and inform him about your plans. The cost of re-wiring should be minimal.

I called an electrician and told him.. He's the one who advised me to add these new sockets. I'm guessing he's not a qualified electrician.
Is there anything in specific I should tell the electrician?
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 06:23:42 PM

I called an electrician and told him.. He's the one who advised me to add these new sockets. I'm guessing he's not a qualified electrician.

I'm not good at electrical wiring. Maybe someone else can help you, but I would tell him: "Yo dawg I need to plug 6 cables that will suck 1500W each. Do your stuff and I'm paying!".

boscocoin

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 06:26:34 PM

I'm not good at electrical wiring. Maybe someone else can help you, but I would tell him: "Yo dawg I need to plug 6 cables that will suck 1500W each. Do your stuff and I'm paying!".

haha.. Cant I just put an extension with 6 extra sockets type thingy and connect the machines to that?
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
September 16, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

haha.. Cant I just put an extension with 6 extra sockets type thingy and connect the machines to that?

Not at these power draws... I didnt see above, are you in the US or elsewhere?

Looking forward to deploying some of my clients machines today... going to be doing some large scale testing with the SP30/31 and p2pool, going to see if we cant add a few PH to p2p over the next month or so.

Anyone have good ideas on monitoring software /scripts for these? We use a couple of in house options but want to see if anyone has better ideas. Generally SPs are amazingly good and stable compared to other miners, but better safe than sorry.
Pages: « 1 ... 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 ... 725 »
  Print  

Jump to: