Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:07:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521678 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:16:01 AM

that's a good thing.  ink rollers can't be stolen!

just make sure you can distinguish between 0OIl's.

etotheipi is smart and only used lowercase letters Smiley

Also, thanks for the answer, I already split my paper wallet in two to be able to have it on me at all times and not be recognizable as a wallet. (Don't want to lose my coins if my house burns down Wink)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 12:17:44 AM

that's a good thing.  ink rollers can't be stolen!

just make sure you can distinguish between 0OIl's.

etotheipi is smart and only used lowercase letters Smiley

Also, thanks for the answer, I already split my paper wallet in two to be able to have it on me at all times and not be recognizable as a wallet. (Don't want to lose my coins if my house burns down Wink)

still, check it out to make sure you can restore wallet from handwritten letters.  i tried it a few times and i couldn't recognize my own printing for some letters!  given how many there are with overlaps its not easy to figure out which combination might be right.
winnetou

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 09:42:02 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 09:52:21 AM by winnetou

Bug report:
I just created my first paper wallet and tried to import it after printing it out on an offline machine (so I used the Armory Offline Client Wink). I clicked "Restore from paper wallet" and typed in all the letters, I checked it three times for mistakes. After I clicked the OK button it  happened nothing (Tried it with checked and unchecked "Encrypt wallet" checkbox.). I clicked one more time OK and the app gave me no feedback beside of the visual button click effect. Armory did not crash, I was able to click cancel and go back to the main window.

Can it be that this did not work because my wallet was already imported? If yes I would expect a msg like "This wallet is already imported". Then I would also know that the import has worked and would not have to remove the wallet first, import and encrypt it again to ensure the functioning of my paper wallet and the import function)

Armory version: 0.8.63
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 02:07:55 PM

Bug report:
I just created my first paper wallet and tried to import it after printing it out on an offline machine (so I used the Armory Offline Client Wink). I clicked "Restore from paper wallet" and typed in all the letters, I checked it three times for mistakes. After I clicked the OK button it  happened nothing (Tried it with checked and unchecked "Encrypt wallet" checkbox.). I clicked one more time OK and the app gave me no feedback beside of the visual button click effect. Armory did not crash, I was able to click cancel and go back to the main window.

Can it be that this did not work because my wallet was already imported? If yes I would expect a msg like "This wallet is already imported". Then I would also know that the import has worked and would not have to remove the wallet first, import and encrypt it again to ensure the functioning of my paper wallet and the import function)

You should've gotten a message like you suggested.  I have billions of catches like that...

Can you go check the /home/username/.armory/armorylog.txt file on that computer and look for some useful information.  I know you can't send it to me from the offline computer, but the error message would be fine.  Usually when a button is supposed to do something, but doesn't do anything, there's usually errors kicking around under the hood. 

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
ciore

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:31:54 PM

Hi,
I'm using bitcoin-Qt client with a datadir different from the system default; I've just installed Armory, It is connected but the block number count is stuck at the size of the blockchain in the system default Bitcoin-Qt data directory.
How cain I make Armory read from the updated blockchain?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 04:46:55 PM

Hi,
I'm using bitcoin-Qt client with a datadir different from the system default; I've just installed Armory, It is connected but the block number count is stuck at the size of the blockchain in the system default Bitcoin-Qt data directory.

You can start Armory using the "--satoshi-datadir=/path/to/it" when you start Armory.  If it's windows, just right-click the desktop icon for Armory and select properties, then add it to the end of the "Target:" line (with a space between the existing command and this one).

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
winnetou

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:50:54 PM

Bug report:

You should've gotten a message like you suggested.  I have billions of catches like that...

Can you go check the /home/username/.armory/armorylog.txt file on that computer and look for some useful information.  I know you can't send it to me from the offline computer, but the error message would be fine.  Usually when a button is supposed to do something, but doesn't do anything, there's usually errors kicking around under the hood.  

Here we go. This must it be:

2013-03-09 10:35 (ERROR) -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/armory/qtdialogs.py", line 3706, in verifyUserInput
    rawBin = easyType16_to_binary( str(self.lineEdits.text()).replace(' ','') )
  File "/usr/share/armory/qtdialogs.py", line 3872, in easyType16_to_binary
    return hex_to_binary(''.join([base16_to_hex_map[c] for c in b16str]))
  File "/usr/share/armory/armoryengine.py", line 897, in hex_to_binary
    return bout.decode('hex_codec')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/encodings/hex_codec.py", line 42, in hex_decode
    output = binascii.a2b_hex(input)
TypeError: Odd-length string
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 04:53:43 PM

Bug report:

You should've gotten a message like you suggested.  I have billions of catches like that...

Can you go check the /home/username/.armory/armorylog.txt file on that computer and look for some useful information.  I know you can't send it to me from the offline computer, but the error message would be fine.  Usually when a button is supposed to do something, but doesn't do anything, there's usually errors kicking around under the hood.  

It looks like you are missing some characters in the typed field.  I guess I only catch errors in the typed letters, not missing letters.  I'll add a condition to catch that...

When you have typed enough letters, it should automatically respace the chars for you into blocks of 4 letters.  There's a total of 9 blocks on each line, so 36 letters.  If you don't have that.... let me know!

winnetou

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:04:23 PM

Bug report:

It looks like you are missing some characters in the typed field.  I guess I only catch errors in the typed letters, not missing letters.  I'll add a condition to catch that...

When you have typed enough letters, it should automatically respace the chars for you into blocks of 4 letters.  There's a total of 9 blocks on each line, so 36 letters.  If you don't have that.... let me know!

MY FAULT! I really had a typo I guess. Now it worked fine and I got a nice msg that the wallet is already imported Smiley Thx!
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 05:08:35 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 05:25:59 PM by etotheipi

MY FAULT! I really had a typo I guess. Now it worked fine and I got a nice msg that the wallet is already imported Smiley Thx!

My fault, too:  that's not an unusual kind of user-error -- I should definitely catch that!  It's on my todo list for the next release!  Thanks!

ciore

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:52:17 PM

Hi,

You can start Armory using the "--satoshi-datadir=/path/to/it" when you start Armory.  If it's windows, just right-click the desktop icon for Armory and select properties, then add it to the end of the "Target:" line (with a space between the existing command and this one).

Thanks e^ip!!
Armory is very powerfull!!
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 11:51:27 PM

So when I am sending coins from any one of my wallets, Sometimes I have to keep hitting the unlock password button until it will actually send the coins. Then I looked in the error log and saw this
Code:
2013-03-09 18:28 (ERROR) -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/armory-qt/0.87-beta/share/armory/qtdialogs.py", line 62, in acceptPassphrase
    self.wlt.unlock(securePassphrase=securePwd)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/armory-qt/0.87-beta/share/armory/armoryengine.py", line 8335, in unlock
    addrObj.unlock(self.kdfKey)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/armory-qt/0.87-beta/share/armory/armoryengine.py", line 2060, in unlock
    self.unlock(secureKdfOutput)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/armory-qt/0.87-beta/share/armory/armoryengine.py", line 2091, in unlock
    raise KeyDataError, "Stored public key does not match priv key!"
KeyDataError: Stored public key does not match priv key!

File "/usr/local/Cellar/armory-qt/0.87-beta/share/armory/qtdialogs.py", line 62, in acceptPassphrase
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/armory-qt/0.87-beta/share/armory/armoryengine.py", line 8335, in unlock
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/armory-qt/0.87-beta/share/armory/armoryengine.py", line 2060, in unlock
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/armory-qt/0.87-beta/share/armory/armoryengine.py", line 2091, in unlock

2013-03-09 18:29 (INFO) -- qtdialogs.py:5379 - Change address behavior: Feedback
2013-03-09 18:29 (INFO) -- qtdialogs.py:5379 - Change address behavior: Feedback
2013-03-09 18:29 (ERROR) -- Traceback (most recent call last):

My version
Code:
2013-03-09 18:15 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:571 -    Armory Version        : 0.87
2013-03-09 18:15 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:572 -    PyBtcWallet  Version  : 1.35
2013-03-09 18:15 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:573 - Detected Operating system: Mac/OSX

Ack!  That looks like a corrupted wallet!   The only time I remember seeing that is when I was messing with a wallet file and destroyed some data. 

Unfortunately, the error doesn't lead to a very agreeable way for me to investigate further (unless you want to send me your private keys and wallet file so I can check on it...).  Perhaps it got corrupted somehow on the way to being encrypted.  I have the app restore from the parallel backup when it detects an error in the wallet file, but that error cannot be detected until you try to unlock your wallet, which happens after the check Undecided

Do you have a paper or digital backup?  Can you try backing up the wallet manually (from your home directory), then remove it from Armory and restore from backup?   Then try again signing again.

Was there anything special about this wallet?  Was it originally restored from a paper backup?  From the new fragmented backup?  Do you know what version created it, or when you created it approximately?

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 01:56:36 AM

So when I am sending coins from any one of my wallets, Sometimes I have to keep hitting the unlock password button until it will actually send the coins. Then I looked in the error log and saw this
Code:

My version
Code:
2013-03-09 18:15 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:571 -    Armory Version        : 0.87
2013-03-09 18:15 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:572 -    PyBtcWallet  Version  : 1.35
2013-03-09 18:15 (INFO) -- armoryengine.py:573 - Detected Operating system: Mac/OSX

Ack!  That looks like a corrupted wallet!   The only time I remember seeing that is when I was messing with a wallet file and destroyed some data. 

Unfortunately, the error doesn't lead to a very agreeable way for me to investigate further (unless you want to send me your private keys and wallet file so I can check on it...).  Perhaps it got corrupted somehow on the way to being encrypted.  I have the app restore from the parallel backup when it detects an error in the wallet file, but that error cannot be detected until you try to unlock your wallet, which happens after the check Undecided

Do you have a paper or digital backup?  Can you try backing up the wallet manually (from your home directory), then remove it from Armory and restore from backup?   Then try again signing again.

Was there anything special about this wallet?  Was it originally restored from a paper backup?  From the new fragmented backup?  Do you know what version created it, or when you created it approximately?

It was created in 0.85 and I can send funds from the wallet, but I have keep click unlock until it takes sends the transaction, I do have a paper back, it all works fine. Should I do a digital back up, and try and restore from that? Should I create a new Wallet?

Wait... so it's not deterministic whether it accepts the passphrase?  How many attempts does it take?  I'm not sure why it would work ever, if it doesn't work the first time.  Perhaps only some of the keys are corrupted and it needs to be clicked once for each of them.

I recommend upgrading to the latest version (probably 0.87.3) and then restore from paper backup.  You can restore it directly to an encrypted file in the latest version.  After it rescans with the restored backup, try sending again.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 02:57:58 AM

Ok I will just restore it and it took like 5 or 6 clicks to unlock it. I am on a mac with https://github.com/WyseNynja/homebrew-bitcoin/blob/master/armory-qt.rb so I have to wait until that updates to 0.87.3

0.87.3 shouldn't behave any different in this regard, compared to 0.87.

So wait, you did restore it?  Your wording was awkward...

If you restored from paper backup and it still has unlocking problems... I'll have to think about that one...

You could also try going to Help-->Revert All Settings.  I doubt that would do it, but who knows.  Also, make sure the wallet is removed from your .armory directory before you restore from paper backup. 

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 06:09:30 AM

Ok I will just restore it and it took like 5 or 6 clicks to unlock it. I am on a mac with https://github.com/WyseNynja/homebrew-bitcoin/blob/master/armory-qt.rb so I have to wait until that updates to 0.87.3

0.87.3 shouldn't behave any different in this regard, compared to 0.87.

So wait, you did restore it?  Your wording was awkward...

If you restored from paper backup and it still has unlocking problems... I'll have to think about that one...

You could also try going to Help-->Revert All Settings.  I doubt that would do it, but who knows.  Also, make sure the wallet is removed from your .armory directory before you restore from paper backup.  

So I put a tail on the log and the only issue that it took like 2 hours after importing the paper wallet to read the blockchain and I just sent 1 btc to your bounty for the Mac OSX with no issues, guess the wallet was corrupted.

Ugh!  Have you used a lot of addresses in that wallet?  I forgot that I recently added an "extended" search for restored wallets, to guarantee that it searches out far enough in your address list.  If you have used a lot of addresses, I could see it doing quite a few scans....

Glad it works now, though...

coqui33

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 04:54:13 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2013, 05:43:40 PM by coqui33

Is this the right place to post suggested future features? Could Armory someday be made to access the bitcoin-d node running on a different machine? As it turns out, my 24/7 bitcoin-d node runs on a computer with insufficient ram to run Armory (along with everything else). So I would like to run Armory on a different machine on the LAN. FYI, Andreas Schildbach's latest Android wallet does this.

Armed Citizens and the Law -- NRA-certified firearms instructor
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 07:33:18 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2013, 11:45:15 PM by K1773R

Is this the right place to post suggested future features? Could Armory someday be made to access the bitcoin-d node running on a different machine? As it turns out, my 24/7 bitcoin-d node runs on a computer with insufficient ram to run Armory (along with everything else). So I would like to run Armory on a different machine on the LAN. FYI, Andreas Schildbach's latest Android wallet does this.
this already works (i do it myself), atleast the network thingy.
i mount the .armory directory with NFS onto the local machine and forward the local bitcoind ports to the others machine with socat (nc works too).

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
coqui33

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 09:37:58 PM

Thank you. My fault. I should have been clearer. I use Windows, not linux.

Armed Citizens and the Law -- NRA-certified firearms instructor
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 04:37:51 AM

Sorry coqui33,

This is not currently possible, because Armory depends on having access to the blk*.dat files in the Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind home directory.  In the future (hopefully near future), this will be possible, as I start maintaining my own database of blockchain data.  However, bear in mind that Armory is very dumb when it comes to networking... it can compute the longest chain, but that's its only defense.  So you will have to select a trusted node.  I recognize you are planning to do that, it's just a warning.

However, before then, the RAM usage will probably come down considerably, so it may not be needed in your case.

Good news!  24 hours and 24 BTC, and it looks like we may have an OSX installer for Armory soon!  It turns out, all it took was some advertising on reddit -- someone had basically already packaged it up for his own use.   I wish I'd known it was that easy, I wouldn't have been dreading it for months!

bit365

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 05:55:19 AM

Another feature request: ability to enter/edit comment on the View Details/Transaction Info popup.

Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: