Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:13:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521670 times)
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:07:06 PM

When the blockchain starts getting into the hundreds of GBs, I suspect that most normal bitcoin users will be using Armory in "lite mode" that doesn't require the blockchain locally at all.

I just bought a 1 Tb disk for 0.5 btc. When the blockchain gets into the hundreds of Gb, we'll be able to buy 1 Pb disks for the same amount of money and I will happily get a disk to store the blockchain and support the network with a full node.

I see what you did here! :-)

Ente

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 05:42:58 PM

When the blockchain starts getting into the hundreds of GBs, I suspect that most normal bitcoin users will be using Armory in "lite mode" that doesn't require the blockchain locally at all.

I just bought a 1 Tb disk for 0.5 btc. When the blockchain gets into the hundreds of Gb, we'll be able to buy 1 Pb disks for the same amount of money and I will happily get a disk to store the blockchain and support the network with a full node.
I'm to cheap to buy a 1TB disk, I just used 3 500Gb disks and RAIDed them together to get a 1TB RAID 5 disk. Wink

P.S. Great work etotheipi!  I can't wait for the updates your working on. Grin

SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 06:44:14 PM

It really isn't about what you can afford, it's about what you can do.  If you're on a laptop with an SSD, you have 128GTB, maybe 256GB if it's a new one.

You can get 960 GB and 1 TB SSDs for 2.5", even for mSATA (480 GB, but you can place 2 of them)

Don't talk to me about price though, doubles the value of the laptop ;-)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 06:52:47 PM

Let's do this!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299684.0

Please don't use it with large amounts of money yet.  It's probably still chock full of bugs, but I've done quite a bit of internal testing and feel pretty good about the major features.

Besides fixing the rescan-on-every-load issue, the feature set is frozen.  I'd like to fix what's in it, rather than add anything new.  A whole bunch of less-critical things (unicode fixes, message signing, tx size limits), will go into the next version (and that next version will not take 3 months to release Smiley).

Please discuss bugs & general observations in that other thread, to not clutter this one!

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 10:40:25 PM

Let's do this!

Please don't use it with large amounts of money yet.  It's probably still chock full of bugs, but I've done quite a bit of internal testing and feel pretty good about the major features.

Besides fixing the rescan-on-every-load issue, the feature set is frozen.  I'd like to fix what's in it, rather than add anything new.  A whole bunch of less-critical things (unicode fixes, message signing, tx size limits), will go into the next version (and that next version will not take 3 months to release Smiley).

Please discuss bugs & general observations in that other thread, to not clutter this one!

Can we run with a remote Bitcoin instance with this version, or maybe next version? I have a server which runs a persistent node and it would be great to only have one copy of the block chain (Armory's) on my main desktop.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 10:47:05 PM

Let's do this!

Can we run with a remote Bitcoin instance with this version, or maybe next version? I have a server which runs a persistent node and it would be great to only have one copy of the block chain (Armory's) on my main desktop.

Not yet.  That will be 100x easier to implement now, but I wanted to minimize the interface changes on this update, since there was enough turbulence with the new database engine.  So it still uses the local blk*.dat files like the 0.88.1 did (though it doesn't crash on blk*.dat file splits anymore!).  But now that it won't start any operations until Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind is sync'd, and it's maintaining it's own blockchain database, it should be straightforward to upgrade it.  Especially, because I was careful to make sure that the operations did not depend on the contents/structure of the blk*.dat files in anyway -- it reads them once, and then 100% of ops after that is based on its own DB.  It should even handle switching to a different set of blk*.dat files between loads, as it redetects the blocks every load (part of the headers-first implementation).

Also, I'm slightly concerned about any anti-DoS measures built into Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind which might cause unexpected issues for the user.  For instance, if I restart a few times, and constantly disconnect, reconnect, and download tons of data, over and over, it might just blacklist the Armory instance.  I don't expect that to happen, but I always expect something silly to crop up and eat another week of my life Smiley

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 10:49:11 PM

Couldn't you export your blocks directory under nfs / samba / sshfs / etc?  Or are they too far apart?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 10:01:54 AM

Anything new on the message-signing front? Is it still un-encrypt/encrypt again? I thought jackjack was working on sth but couldn't find an update (or missed it).

@Alan: Congrats! Now that you're incorporated and funded, I can't wait for the LTC version of Armory! Grin

bump.

I appreciate the RAM reduction effort happiness (numbers look GREAT!), but the message signing thing is really bugging me ATM. The unencrypt/re-encrypt didn't work with BTC-qt 8.3 or 8.5, so I had to export my addresses to blockchain, which I would really like to avoid. Anything else that can be done?

Thanks.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

I appreciate the RAM reduction effort happiness (numbers look GREAT!), but the message signing thing is really bugging me ATM. The unencrypt/re-encrypt didn't work with BTC-qt 8.3 or 8.5, so I had to export my addresses to blockchain, which I would really like to avoid. Anything else that can be done?

A bounty was claimed with a new message signing algorithm to be integrated into Armory.  It includes code to be backwards compatible with Bitcoin-Qt.  But this current upgrade (RAM-reduction) was so significant, that I couldn't fit everything into it.  I have enough to worry about.  Once I officially release it it, I'll start tending to the other important-but-less-critical upgrades like unicode issues, message signing, tx size limits, etc. 

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 07:56:43 PM

By the way:  in case you didn't subscribe to the other thread:  I finished the last major feature/bug.  Armory now properly saves all its data between loads.   On my system, managing Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind myself, I can close and reopen Armory in 19 seconds!  and 260 MB of RAM. 

There still a lot of missing optimizations, but this is no doubt the most usable version yet.  Please try it out!

KS

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 08:18:09 PM

A bounty was claimed with a new message signing algorithm to be integrated into Armory.  It includes code to be backwards compatible with Bitcoin-Qt.  But this current upgrade (RAM-reduction) was so significant, that I couldn't fit everything into it.  I have enough to worry about.  Once I officially release it it, I'll start tending to the other important-but-less-critical upgrades like unicode issues, message signing, tx size limits, etc. 

OK, I thought you might say that (I wish there were a workaround to exporting keys). Godspeed with the update.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 10:29:02 PM

Finished building armory with latest version of LevelDB on msvc11. There are code files and instruction files to pass on, as well as some implementation specifics to discuss, maybe we should proceed in private messages so as to not bloat this thread any further.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:36:38 AM

OK, I thought you might say that (I wish there were a workaround to exporting keys). Godspeed with the update.

Currently I see two alternatives:

1) Use jackjack's code externally, messing with sourcecode and python: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179422.msg2113086#msg2113086. That's the code which will go into Armory too.

2) Brainwallet has two tools for that: http://brainwallet.org/#sign and http://brainwallet.org/#verify. Save those locally, reboot to a live-cd with no internetconnection, do the signing.

For both you have to export the privkeys. I didn't get 1) to work properly, and will do my signing with 2) later.

Ente
KS

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 01:31:23 PM

Currently I see two alternatives:

1) Use jackjack's code externally, messing with sourcecode and python: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179422.msg2113086#msg2113086. That's the code which will go into Armory too.

2) Brainwallet has two tools for that: http://brainwallet.org/#sign and http://brainwallet.org/#verify. Save those locally, reboot to a live-cd with no internetconnection, do the signing.

For both you have to export the privkeys. I didn't get 1) to work properly, and will do my signing with 2) later.

Ente

1/ I won't mess with

2/ looks like a good temporary measure, I'll have to fiddle with that.

That's an improvement, thanks for sharing!
ncs0ne

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

software developer

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 10:50:53 AM

Please forgive me not reading all previous pages, in case this is a well known issue discussed before.

Yesterday's evening I send BTC with Armory, nevertheless it currently shows today 12:21GMT+2 as send date.
Armory several times restarted since yesterday.
Armory is connected to the bitcoin network and synchronized.
Current block is 260392, 12:50 GMT+2.
Transaction still has 0 confirmations and status 'Not in the blockchain yet'
Transaction fee is 0.0005BTC.

Any advice would be appreciated!

picobit

Activity: 547

Decor in numeris

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 11:33:46 AM

Please forgive me not reading all previous pages, in case this is a well known issue discussed before.

Yesterday's evening I send BTC with Armory, nevertheless it currently shows today 12:21GMT+2 as send date.
Armory several times restarted since yesterday.
Armory is connected to the bitcoin network and synchronized.
Current block is 260392, 12:50 GMT+2.
Transaction still has 0 confirmations and status 'Not in the blockchain yet'
Transaction fee is 0.0005BTC.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Can you see the transaction on blochchain.info? If so, the transaction has been transmitted correctly but may depend on unconfirmed inputs, have a huge size and too low fee, or something.

If it is not on blockchain.info, then armory has not sent it (or bitcoind has not relayed it), and it will never confirm.
ncs0ne

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

software developer

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 02:40:55 PM

No, I can't see the transaction on blockchain.info as it is not in the blockchain.

Armory tells me the following (have restarted another time):
Block Number:              Not in the blockchain yet
Transaction Time:          2013-Sep-27 12:21
Transaction Direction:    Sent

Meanwhile Armory shows block 260418, so I'm connected and synchronized.

Blockchain.info shows the money resides still in my wallet while Armory remains in status 'send' with '0 confirmations' and 'Not in the blockchain yet' .

Just in case it may matter:
I had a lower transaction fee at first, but then was asked for 0,0005 by Armory which I agreed on, then the transaction was processed.
I'm not sure whether the network connection was interrupted during it has been sent, as I was connected via my mobile to the internet.

Is there any kind of command which re-propagates a transaction or reverts my deadlock somehow ??

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2013, 04:52:35 PM

No, I can't see the transaction on blockchain.info as it is not in the blockchain.

Armory tells me the following (have restarted another time):
Block Number:              Not in the blockchain yet
Transaction Time:          2013-Sep-27 12:21
Transaction Direction:    Sent

Meanwhile Armory shows block 260418, so I'm connected and synchronized.

Blockchain.info shows the money resides still in my wallet while Armory remains in status 'send' with '0 confirmations' and 'Not in the blockchain yet' .

Just in case it may matter:
I had a lower transaction fee at first, but then was asked for 0,0005 by Armory which I agreed on, then the transaction was processed.
I'm not sure whether the network connection was interrupted during it has been sent, as I was connected via my mobile to the internet.

Is there any kind of command which re-propagates a transaction or reverts my deadlock somehow ??

Close Armory (and Bitcoin-Qt, if running it yourself).   Delete mempool.bin from your Armory home directory,  then restart Armory.   The tx will be forgotten and you can try again. 

KS

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 08:35:14 PM

Shortly after I updated BTC-qt to 8.5.1, I had Armory (0.87.2) losing and reacquiring the connection with BTC-qt every second or so. Closed+reopened Armory a couple of times. No change. Idem with BTC-qt closed+reopened (Armory closed), again no change. Had to  reboot the PC (W7 x64). Anyone else had this  before?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 11:39:54 PM

Shortly after I updated BTC-qt to 8.5.1, I had Armory (0.87.2) losing and reacquiring the connection with BTC-qt every second or so. Closed+reopened Armory a couple of times. No change. Idem with BTC-qt closed+reopened (Armory closed), again no change. Had to  reboot the PC (W7 x64). Anyone else had this  before?
It's probably not actually connecting and reconnecting. It doesn't seem to handle notifications correctly in W7 (at least). If you receive a payment, the same can happen, where it "flickers" repeatedly on the screen for 2-10 minutes. I'd guess it lost connection once, then started "flickering." This happens to me more often than not using same version on same OS.
Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: