Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:12:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 165 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] IPO of MaidSafe:  Entering the Future of the Decentralized Internet  (Read 579306 times)
willoweb

Activity: 658
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 05:35:23 AM

Maira there are other currencies toting the same promises of an "internet on its own"
you also have Ethereum doing the same, along with Blocknet (which also has a decentralized crypto exchange) as well well I/O coin which is still in development, although also plans a decentralized exchange, and is also an "internet on its own"

Kim dot Com also plans a Megaupload 2.0 with his Bitcache, which also plans to be an "internet of its own" an internet within the internet, beyond public hackability, sort of like a global private intranet...

I know these are vague statements but that's the general gist of it...

now if only there could be "one ring to access them all and in the cyberspace combine them!"

Kleks Academy
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀               ▀▀██▄
██▀                     ▀██
██▀ ███     ▄▄█▀         ▀██
███  ███▄▄██▀             ███
███  ██████▀███▄            ███
███  ███    ▀███▄          ███
██▄ ▀▀▀      ▀███▄       ▄██
██▄            ▀▀███▄▄▄ ▄██
▀██▄▄               ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
      ▄█
     ███▌
 ██▄ ▀█▀
 ▀██▌▄▀▄██
█▄ ▀ █ █▀
▀██▄▐▌  ▄█
▄ ▀▀▐▌ ██▀
 ███ █ ▀ ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀ █  ██▀
  ███▄ █ ▀ ▄█▄
   ▀▀▀▀ ▀▄ ███
     ▄██▄ ▀▄▀
      ▀▀▀▀  ▀▄
THE LEGEND RETURNS!
▀██████▄   TWITTER   ▀▄   INSTAGRAM   ▄▀   DISCORD   ▄█████▀
      █▄
     ▐███
      ▀█▀ ▄██
    ██▄▀▄▐██▀
     ▀█ █ ▀ ▄█
    █▄  ▐▌▄██▀
    ▀██ ▐▌▀▀ ▄
  ▄█▄ ▀ █ ███
  ▀██  █ ▀▀▀
▄█▄ ▀ █ ▄███
███ ▄▀ ▀▀▀▀
 ▀▄▀ ▄██▄
▄▀  ▀▀▀▀
██     ██████████████                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTYDETECTIVE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MairaObergh

Activity: 270
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 07:05:52 AM

Maira there are other currencies toting the same promises of an "internet on its own"
you also have Ethereum doing the same, along with Blocknet (which also has a decentralized crypto exchange) as well well I/O coin which is still in development, although also plans a decentralized exchange, and is also an "internet on its own"

Kim dot Com also plans a Megaupload 2.0 with his Bitcache, which also plans to be an "internet of its own" an internet within the internet, beyond public hackability, sort of like a global private intranet...

I know these are vague statements but that's the general gist of it...

now if only there could be "one ring to access them all and in the cyberspace combine them!"

It sounds like there will be a lot of competition for the hard drive space. I'm assuming that will determine the winner. The internet has a lot of content so to be successful this will need a lot of users.
zeeman

Activity: 598
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 08:55:59 AM

I just have a question.  How many nodes are there on the MAIDSAFE blockchain? I mean, how many people are keeping the network up?
Also, is there a way to "ping" blockchains to see how many "nods" or active users / wallets they have?

Don't you guys think it would be good to be able to hav a list somewhere of how many nodes all the blockchains have? Can't someone do that, or tell me how?
I would gladly host a website regarding that data. I think its very interesting to  be able to see how many users all the blockchains actually have, or I mean, active constituents, in a comparative chart, as it could shed some light on actual scope of magnitude of the crypto community as a "whole".

SAFE doesn't use a blockchain, that's the big difference with other crypto projects. Think of it as nodes that connect just like BitTorrent but with messages and a cryptocoin implemented. SAFE solves a lot of things at once. So you can share data just like BitTorrent but in this case it's encrypted. You can register a domain just like on the normal internet, but in this case decentralized. You can update data that's stored on the system. At the moment the nodes run locally on a datacentre  Grin but we've had several testnets where we ran nodes from home. This thing scales to 100K users at ease. To a million as well. With Bitcoin you need to have some dedicated hardware to mine coins. On SAFE you just use your computer to deliver data to the network. That's called "Farming" and I think we'll reach a million users quite fast when the network goes to BETA. But first we'll see Alpha 2 and maybe 3. Not really sure.   
rocketsTmac

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 09:03:21 AM

I just have a question.  How many nodes are there on the MAIDSAFE blockchain? I mean, how many people are keeping the network up?
Also, is there a way to "ping" blockchains to see how many "nods" or active users / wallets they have?

Don't you guys think it would be good to be able to hav a list somewhere of how many nodes all the blockchains have? Can't someone do that, or tell me how?
I would gladly host a website regarding that data. I think its very interesting to  be able to see how many users all the blockchains actually have, or I mean, active constituents, in a comparative chart, as it could shed some light on actual scope of magnitude of the crypto community as a "whole".

SAFE doesn't use a blockchain, that's the big difference with other crypto projects. Think of it as nodes that connect just like BitTorrent but with messages and a cryptocoin implemented. SAFE solves a lot of things at once. So you can share data just like BitTorrent but in this case it's encrypted. You can register a domain just like on the normal internet, but in this case decentralized. You can update data that's stored on the system. At the moment the nodes run locally on a datacentre  Grin but we've had several testnets where we ran nodes from home. This thing scales to 100K users at ease. To a million as well. With Bitcoin you need to have some dedicated hardware to mine coins. On SAFE you just use your computer to deliver data to the network. That's called "Farming" and I think we'll reach a million users quite fast when the network goes to BETA. But first we'll see Alpha 2 and maybe 3. Not really sure.   

Any whitepaper to tell the details about the transactions without blochchain? I can't imagine this, cuz this is revolutionary to the blockchain technology. If this is officially launched, the marketcap will be larger than Eth?
zeeman

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 11:15:24 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2016, 11:29:15 AM by zeeman

I just have a question.  How many nodes are there on the MAIDSAFE blockchain? I mean, how many people are keeping the network up?

I would gladly host a website regarding that data. I think its very interesting to  be able to see how many users all the blockchains actually have, or I mean, active constituents, in a comparative chart, as it could shed some light on actual scope of magnitude of the crypto community as a "whole".

SAFE doesn't use a blockchain, that's the big difference with other crypto projects. Think of it as nodes that connect just like BitTorrent but with messages and a cryptocoin implemented. SAFE solves a lot of things at once. So you can share data just like BitTorrent but in this case it's encrypted. You can register a domain just like on the normal internet, but in this case decentralized. You can update data that's stored on the system. At the moment the nodes run locally on a datacentre  Grin but we've had several testnets where we ran nodes from home. This thing scales to 100K users at ease. To a million as well. With Bitcoin you need to have some dedicated hardware to mine coins. On SAFE you just use your computer to deliver data to the network. That's called "Farming" and I think we'll reach a million users quite fast when the network goes to BETA. But first we'll see Alpha 2 and maybe 3. Not really sure.    

Any whitepaper to tell the details about the transactions without blochchain? I can't imagine this, cuz this is revolutionary to the blockchain technology. If this is officially launched, the marketcap will be larger than Eth?

The world did transactions for decades without a blockchain. In SAFE they do use cryptography to change ownership of an address or some data. Think of it this way:

You are in a group with 15 close nodes. You can't pick your own address so the address you have you got from the group. Now you say to them: I own Safecoins at address "HHGTFGHH" and you prove it with a crypto sign. Your close nodes will contact the group responsible for that address to see if that's indeed the case. If your sign is correct the group replies to your close nodes > yes, this person indeed has Safecoins. Next thing you say is > I would like to move 1 Safecoin to address "JGFJVGH". You sign your request and your close nodes will forward to the group responsible for your coins. They will change the ownership of 1 Safecoin to the desired address and send a confirmation back. In reality several other groups are included as well. So let's assume it's 100 people. So 100 people are involved in a transaction. It's signed by all groups.

I know for sure this will work because you are able to register a domain in the DNS (decentralized Name System) as well which works exactly the same way. The domain you create (say safe://mycatwebsite) uses the same mechanism as well. You become the owner of the address that's the hash of your domain so to speak (simple version). So Safecoin transaction are expected to take place under a second. The network allows thousands transactions per second as the network grows. It's all based on ownership. They have several patents and papers as well. Things changed over the years though, here some links:

http://docs.maidsafe.net/Whitepapers/pdf/Safecoin.pdf

https://www.google.com/patents/WO2008065347A2?dq=ininventor:%22David+Irvine%22&cl=en

https://www.google.com/patents/US20100064354

Here's a RFC (Request For Comment) for Safecoin.

https://github.com/maidsafe/rfcs/blob/master/text/0012-safecoin-implementation/0012-safecoin-implementation.md

Here are other active RFC's including the ones currently implemented.

https://github.com/maidsafe/rfcs/blob/master/RFCs-by-status.md#active-rfcs

That's the thing with SAFE/Maidsafe. People see this as another cryptoproject with a coin. It's more than that. It allows for storage, coins, email, chats, downloads, websites and more. Maidsafe just announced a joint venture with a company from Hong Kong (Maidsafe Asia) which will sell these technologies to companies. They run a "local" version of the Safenetwork where all stuff is encrypted even while it can be stored in a datacenter from Amazon. It get un-encrypted in the terminals of the users, but even Amazon can't see what's going on. All they see it nodes that store and deliver encrypted chunks.      
biggzi

Activity: 543
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 01:33:38 PM

Ive been sitting on my MAID since the ICO.

So tempted to just cash in while the price is still dropping. Although I know it will pump again very soon as this project releases its Beta version
MairaObergh

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 04:13:06 PM

This is a really good explanation. The one thing that I want to know is how many users are participating.
zeeman

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 05:46:49 PM

I just have a question.  How many nodes are there on the MAIDSAFE blockchain? I mean, how many people are keeping the network up?

I would gladly host a website regarding that data. I think its very interesting to  be able to see how many users all the blockchains actually have, or I mean, active constituents, in a comparative chart, as it could shed some light on actual scope of magnitude of the crypto community as a "whole".

SAFE doesn't use a blockchain, that's the big difference with other crypto projects. Think of it as nodes that connect just like BitTorrent but with messages and a cryptocoin implemented. SAFE solves a lot of things at once. So you can share data just like BitTorrent but in this case it's encrypted. You can register a domain just like on the normal internet, but in this case decentralized. You can update data that's stored on the system. At the moment the nodes run locally on a datacentre  Grin but we've had several testnets where we ran nodes from home. This thing scales to 100K users at ease. To a million as well. With Bitcoin you need to have some dedicated hardware to mine coins. On SAFE you just use your computer to deliver data to the network. That's called "Farming" and I think we'll reach a million users quite fast when the network goes to BETA. But first we'll see Alpha 2 and maybe 3. Not really sure.    

This is a really good explanation. The one thing that I want to know is how many users are participating.

Over 3000 people have tested the Alpha network. This doesn't mean 3000 connected at the same time. So over 3000 clients downloaded the client in the first couple of weeks and connected to the Vaults. In the testnets where we ran Vaults from home I think we had over 1000 now and then. But this was all limited use. Before they deliver Vaults again for people to run from home they have to implement the new routing and the protection against nodes that keep connecting to target a group.

This one is implemented right now: https://github.com/maidsafe/rfcs/blob/master/text/0037-disjoint-groups/0037-disjoint-groups.md
This one should follow in the coming weeks: https://github.com/maidsafe/rfcs/blob/master/text/0029-data-chains.md/0029-data-chains.md
Same for this one: https://github.com/maidsafe/rfcs/blob/master/text/0045-node-ageing/0045-node-ageing.md

Coding this stuff is not the only thing they do, they need to invent and discuss the logic as well. On the Dev Forum you'll see some long discussion about all of these RFC's. At the same time they're delivering API's so external devs can work with the system before it's fully capable. Several projects from external devs are active at the moment.  
ibcrypto

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 07:33:15 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2016, 06:53:41 PM by ibcrypto

Token Holder from initial ICO.

I installed launcher/demo app and uploaded some files and it was remarkably fast which was impressive!

Is the most recent demo app encrypting files? Are the files stored on multiple nodes?  I think the nodes are not yet being managed by client "farmer" nodes but rather in a lab somewhere?

How was the valuation for purposes of the recent equity sale determined?  Is there any regulation or safeguards for investors?  Not to be critical but would hate for something to go wrong and give MaidSafe a bad image.

I was hoping Kim DotCom/Mega Upload 2.0 and or Paul Puey/AirBitz would have made a play with MaidSAFE - any thoughts on why they appear to have passed?

Still optimistic for this project!

I had a dream that MaidSAFE and Kim DotCom had a press release about using MaidSAFE for MegaUplaod 2 data!

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-crypto-show-with-kim-dotcom-simon-dixon-and-cody-wilson

They asked Kim about possibility of using MaidSAFE but no specific comment.

Its a no brainier but seems like running in parallel universes....
MairaObergh

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 07:40:47 PM

Over 3000 people have tested the Alpha network. This doesn't mean 3000 connected at the same time. So over 3000 clients downloaded the client in the first couple of weeks and connected to the Vaults. In the testnets where we ran Vaults from home I think we had over 1000 now and then. But this was all limited use. Before they deliver Vaults again for people to run from home they have to implement the new routing and the protection against nodes that keep connecting to target a group.

This one is implemented right now: https://github.com/maidsafe/rfcs/blob/master/text/0037-disjoint-groups/0037-disjoint-groups.md
This one should follow in the coming weeks: https://github.com/maidsafe/rfcs/blob/master/text/0029-data-chains.md/0029-data-chains.md
Same for this one: https://github.com/maidsafe/rfcs/blob/master/text/0045-node-ageing/0045-node-ageing.md

Coding this stuff is not the only thing they do, they need to invent and discuss the logic as well. On the Dev Forum you'll see some long discussion about all of these RFC's. At the same time they're delivering API's so external devs can work with the system before it's fully capable. Several projects from external devs are active at the moment.  

I will give it a try sometime next week. Does sound like something that needs a lot of dedicated users for it to work. Internet caps would not help.
zeeman

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 09:07:53 AM

Token Holder from initial ICO.

I installed launcher/demo app and uploaded some files and it was remarkably fast which was impressive!

Is the most recent demo app encrypting files? Are the files stored on multiple nodes?  I think the nodes are not yet being managed by client "farmer" nodes but rather in a lab somewhere?

How was the valuation for purposes of the recent equity sale determined?  Is there any regulation or safeguards for investors?  Not to be critical but would hate for something to go wrong and give MaidSafe a bad image.

I was hoping Kim DotCom/Mega Upload 2.0 and or Paul Puey/AirBitz would have made a play with MaidSAFE - any thoughts on why they appear to have passed?

Still optimistic for this project!

Yes, everything is encrypted from bit 1. The nodes run indeed in a datacenter but even the owners of the datacenter can't see what's in the packages. Your ISP can't see anything either. The SAFE Mail App is probably the most secure email on the planet at the moment. You don't need to use PGP-keys as all encryption is done in the background. 
JUSTDLISK

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

Bancor

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 08:59:34 PM

How much longer will this project take to be completed?
Does anyone know?

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6083

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 05:57:27 AM

Does anyone know?

We are currently at Alpha , and Zeeman said that we could see Alpha 2 & even Alpha 3 maybe ,after that there will be a BETA then the final release. I'd say It should take at least one year from now. (Safecoins should be available to use/farm from Beta version though)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
zeeman

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 09:04:36 AM

David Irvine replied to this question again.

I think the network will show it's full potential when we run Vaults from home and people have youtube-like websites where we watch clips on a P2P-network. BETA and test-Safecoin will ben great as well. So even without the full launch this could be very great.  

https://safenetforum.org/t/safenet-progress-questions/11446/49?u
DimiZb

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 09:27:32 AM

Does anyone know?

We are currently at Alpha , and Zeeman said that we could see Alpha 2 & even Alpha 3 maybe ,after that there will be a BETA then the final release. I'd say It should take at least one year from now. (Safecoins should be available to use/farm from Beta version though)

Very long term coin, hold it for 1-3 years, it will turn 10X eventually, I don't trade in the swing cuz I am afraid a sudden big pump due to beta test.
zeeman

View Profile
October 11, 2016, 06:33:51 PM

https://safenetforum.org/t/maidsafe-dev-update-october-11-2016/11497

Enjoy!@!
malekbaba
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1026

SellDefi.com | Earn by selling files

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 10:42:35 PM

I am a trader mainly and have least knowledge about this project. The above update, is it good for maid ? as a trader I do care about the price. Will there any positive effct on price of Maid after the updated news ?
zeeman

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 02:20:43 PM

I am a trader mainly and have least knowledge about this project. The above update, is it good for maid ? as a trader I do care about the price. Will there any positive effct on price of Maid after the updated news ?

I'm a buy-and-holder and this is just a weekly dev-update. Be part of the forum if you want the latest "news".

https://safenetforum.org

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 03:20:00 PM

As a trader, you should be taking notice of phrases like...."...discussing improvements...", "We are also thinking about....", "There are multiple approaches we are looking at, and were planning to have a detailed discussion...".
Doesnt seem like the time to be trading development news, IMO.
digi123

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 01:57:03 PM

I think there is a big problem at the moment with this maid/safecoin and that is that there is no spacific wallet application that the coins can be stored in.
I have a few coins but not being able to place them in a wallet is a big problem and prevents me from buying more. Now you might say use the bitcoin method which I don't understand or care to becouse I don't want to relate one coin with another and being suseptable to another network.
You should make a spacific wallet to store the coins in as soon as possible, not having this is rediculas to say the least. It should have been done before any trading was allowed.
Please sort this out. I would consider you would have far more investment into the coin when you do this.
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 165 »
  Print  

Jump to: