Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:05:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 [1833] 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4666979 times)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4863

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:01:37 PM

This is all temporary. Kovri is under heavy development and once released will make all of this obsolete.

Is the Kovri going to run under TOR? or does it have a different method?

From what I understand the Korvi devs are working directly with I2P dev team and are contributing to both. Thats a pretty good feeling if your worried about the end result. Smiley

Garlic routing:  is a variant of Onion routing that encrypts multiple messages together to make it more difficult for attackers to perform traffic analysis. To protect the identity of the sender, messages are encrypted multiple times with the public keys of selected nodes on the network. To be delivered the encrypted packets must be received by routers selected by the sender, in the order specified by the sender. Differently from Onion routing an encrypted packet ("onion") can contain multiple packets ("cloves") with different destinations, and the sender is not required to specify a return path for the message.

Garlic routing is a modest improvement over onion routing but it will probably always be difficult to achieve privacy in a network where messages must ultimately, at some point, be location addressed. To really truly get private networks we will probably need breakthroughs in physics not computer science.

Security through obscurity has always been a poor choice but in some systems without a complete rewrite at the base layer there really isn't that much of a choice. There are projects doing that but I haven't kept up on them for over 10 years or so, there was a Swedish team (IIRC) that had written a base protocol but I'm not sure of the adoption.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:08:28 PM

This is all temporary. Kovri is under heavy development and once released will make all of this obsolete.

From what I understand the Korvi devs are working directly with I2P dev team and are contributing to both. Thats a pretty good feeling if your worried about the end result. Smiley

Garlic routing:  is a variant of Onion routing that encrypts multiple messages together to make it more difficult for attackers to perform traffic analysis. To protect the identity of the sender, messages are encrypted multiple times with the public keys of selected nodes on the network. To be delivered the encrypted packets must be received by routers selected by the sender, in the order specified by the sender. Differently from Onion routing an encrypted packet ("onion") can contain multiple packets ("cloves") with different destinations, and the sender is not required to specify a return path for the message.

Garlic routing is a modest improvement over onion routing but it will probably always be difficult to achieve privacy in a network where messages must ultimately, at some point, be location addressed. To really truly get private networks we will probably need breakthroughs in physics not computer science.

Security through obscurity has always been a poor choice but in some systems without a complete rewrite at the base layer there really isn't that much of a choice. There are projects doing that but I haven't kept up on them for over 10 years or so, there was a Swedish team (IIRC) that had written a base protocol but I'm not sure of the adoption.

I think kovri plus sending sensitive transactions from a public wifi and not your home will be all the security any normal person needs. Good enough for government work.

Do let me know if you come up with the name of that project. Interested.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:14:28 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2017, 11:38:14 PM by Hueristic

I think kovri plus sending sensitive transactions from a public wifi and not your home will be all the security any normal person needs. Good enough for government work.

Do let me know if you come up with the name of that project. Interested.

Will do, sometimes things will just randomly pop back up in my memory. Lol Smiley

I found this on a quick search but it's not the one I was referring to.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/press/internet-protocol-journal/back-issues/table-contents-53/143-trill.html

It sits on the LLC/ODI layer but might be on the NDIS and replaces the LLC layer, I'll search more later.

Edit: dammit getting sidetracked lol.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:14:35 PM

Garlic routing is a modest improvement over onion routing but it will probably always be difficult to achieve high levels of privacy in a network where messages must ultimately, at some point, be location addressed. To really truly get private networks we will probably need breakthroughs in physics not computer science. But hey you know, if privacy is really really important to you, you can always make sure your location doesn't identify you personally. The proverbial don't shit where you eat. Cheesy

Some interesting ideas and stuff like peer to peer networks that appear and disappear between close together devices, like mobile phones. Data that hop to and from the destination never seeing a "core" network could be interesting.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:25:55 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2017, 11:36:50 PM by Hueristic

Garlic routing is a modest improvement over onion routing but it will probably always be difficult to achieve high levels of privacy in a network where messages must ultimately, at some point, be location addressed. To really truly get private networks we will probably need breakthroughs in physics not computer science. But hey you know, if privacy is really really important to you, you can always make sure your location doesn't identify you personally. The proverbial don't shit where you eat. Cheesy

Some interesting ideas and stuff like peer to peer networks that appear and disappear between close together devices, like mobile phones. Data that hop to and from the destination never seeing a "core" network could be interesting.

I don't think that is possible. LLC/ODI is pretty mandatory but could be enhanced I guess. I haven't thought of this stuff since the 90/s Smiley

Edited because I'm an idiot that forgets the layer structure and forgets ODI and substitutes OSI. Smiley

Chicken_76

Activity: 55
Merit: 7

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 09:49:36 AM

I found a .keys file with a date stamp from May, which is when I would have set up the wallet. When I used the wallet name to start wallet-cli, it asked for a password and I gave it the password I had used in May and the wallet opened, showing no balance. I tried rescan_bc and it came back with zero balance.

Unless you have another idea, I think I'm sunk.

OK, here are some theories of what might have happened:

1. Maybe someone got hold of your wallet file or seed and withdrew your monero from your wallet. (people get hacked from time to time)
When you typed rescan_bc, did you see funds coming in and then going out? Each transaction will be listed one per line, with incoming funds as green and outgoing funds as purple. Each line will have the block number, from which you can tell when that transaction took place.

2. Maybe you have another wallet, that's saved in a different folder. Issue a search in all your drives for .keys files (and don't forget to include hidden folders in the search)

3. Maybe there's something wrong with your daemon or your blockchain copy. In the monerod window type 'diff' and post here the number it outputs for BH.

You said earlier something about a mnemonic seed. Do you still have it?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:07:18 AM

I found a .keys file with a date stamp from May, which is when I would have set up the wallet. When I used the wallet name to start wallet-cli, it asked for a password and I gave it the password I had used in May and the wallet opened, showing no balance. I tried rescan_bc and it came back with zero balance.

Unless you have another idea, I think I'm sunk.

OK, here are some theories of what might have happened:

1. Maybe someone got hold of your wallet file or seed and withdrew your monero from your wallet. (people get hacked from time to time)
When you typed rescan_bc, did you see funds coming in and then going out? Each transaction will be listed one per line, with incoming funds as green and outgoing funds as purple. Each line will have the block number, from which you can tell when that transaction took place.

2. Maybe you have another wallet, that's saved in a different folder. Issue a search in all your drives for .keys files (and don't forget to include hidden folders in the search)

3. Maybe there's something wrong with your daemon or your blockchain copy. In the monerod window type 'diff' and post here the number it outputs for BH.

You said earlier something about a mnemonic seed. Do you still have it?

To add, you can use show_transfers in monero-wallet-cli to get a list of your incoming and outgoing transactions.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
darasinmi4show

Activity: 406
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:19:14 PM

How did window related to you project?
bribed

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:42:22 PM

I read something today that Monero cant provide fully anonymous transactions, because its leaking IP-addresses somehow. I dont want to spread fud or anything, this just interests me and you maybe can give me a clear answer here if this is the case or not?!
stna1981

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:46:56 PM

Afaik this issue was already solved several months ago... but maybe I got something wrong about that.
garytheasshole

Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2017, 12:48:43 PM

Afaik this issue was already solved several months ago... but maybe I got something wrong about that.
There was no such issue, some guy on twitter thought it would be a good way to spread fud by parsing netstat output and posting it on twitter for some reason.

hush

Activity: 1288
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 12:52:52 PM

Every time I read or hear any good thing about Monero I have wish to collect lot of these coins but it is already expensive for lot of people. I still keep raising in small tranches to reach at few coins. All the talks about XMR are very positive and shows potential which is to come yet.
vbn19

Activity: 256

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 01:17:28 PM

monero has telegram grup?or no?
popeye95

Activity: 398

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 01:32:19 PM

BTC really show it was in bubble zone thanks to the recent news about coinbase. Time for people to see this and moving their bag back to altcoins, XMR maybe.
Xclusive5

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 01:47:04 PM

Every time I read or hear any good thing about Monero I have wish to collect lot of these coins but it is already expensive for lot of people. I still keep raising in small tranches to reach at few coins. All the talks about XMR are very positive and shows potential which is to come yet.

Yeah the price of monero is very expensive and one needs to have huge fund to invest in it but with a lot of huge potential behind Monero I think its still a good altcoin to invest because I see monero mooning to $1k very soon.

bribed

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 02:30:16 PM

There was no such issue, some guy on twitter thought it would be a good way to spread fud by parsing netstat output and posting it on twitter for some reason.

So this was all FUD again. Thanks for clearing this up. Im sick of all this Fud that is spread around in the crypto space. If this was really just one freakin guy on twitter and this fake news had such large waves in the space. Crazy. Poor crypto. Anyway thanks for letting me know.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 02:31:30 PM

I read something today that Monero cant provide fully anonymous transactions, because its leaking IP-addresses somehow. I dont want to spread fud or anything, this just interests me and you maybe can give me a clear answer here if this is the case or not?!

It's not leaking anything. That is by design for all nodes to be able to find each other on a decentralized platform. It has only been an issue the last year for fudders and alot of "Anon" coins are looking at changing that and XMR is one of them with the best solution which is IP2 where the shitcoins are using TOR which is compromised. BTW you have always been able to run XMR through TOR (well for as long as I can remember).

franc0

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

Hire me! Spanish translator and community manager!

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 05:12:26 PM

I wish i had bought monero when it was at 1$, So stupid. I never imagine how high this coin would be. Of course, Dark Web has a lot to do with monero growth.

I'm a professional Spanish translator. Projects like WePower, Envion, Atlant, etc. Among others... are part of my portfolio. Hire me or sign me up as a bounty participant for your project!
Renko

Activity: 145

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 06:46:21 PM

I wish i had bought monero when it was at 1$, So stupid. I never imagine how high this coin would be. Of course, Dark Web has a lot to do with monero growth.

Is not just the Dark Web, Is the anonimity in general. Nobody likes to other people knows how many money do you own. Poor Vitalik, everybody knows he owns 500k ether (give or take)  Cool
surtur001s

Merit: 22

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 07:10:53 PM

when new updates?? I heard abount next month
Pages: « 1 ... 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 [1833] 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879 1880 1881 1882 1883 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: