Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:46:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 [295] 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625090 times)
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535

View Profile
November 08, 2019, 02:21:22 AM

good thing to have live discussions here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bigslimvdub

Activity: 346
Merit: 23

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2019, 07:34:14 PM

Neg sentiment comes from what seems to be a main reason people have disassociated themselves with aeon. Only core code was focused on for 5 years. In that same period, the same project that aeon merges development code change from also spent that time focusing on core code. The only difference is that Aeon (as it’s own project) did minimal work for this. Yes there were devs “working” on both projects but aeon got literally nothing else accomplished in this time frame other than some infrequent promotions to increase price and a happy asic miner.  Nobody ever laid the founding blocks of the project outside of core code and even there it wasn’t really laid out how or what people could contribute to outside 2-3 people. As you can see with Monero, as the project progressed in its life cycle, so did everything outside the core code. With Aeon it’s still stuck basically at EOY 1 with everything outside core code. Very few people want to contribute because they are either unable to contribute or are working on other projects. I have personally laid out some foundational blocks outside core code 5 years into the project that should have been there the first year. Nobody really did this.  For 5 years and it shows because nobody wants to maintain anything. Do you thing and move on. That’s not a healthy lifecycle.

The core code of Aeon is great. Always has been. Always will be. But at this point of the life cycle, with little to show outside that, it’s always overlooked outside promotion groups or people that see a micro cap crypto with a decent supply to make money on. Heck we even tried paying people to contribute and that’s got the project what over the last year? No web wallet. No iOS wallet. No android wallet. No hardware wallet. Zero contribution to fund project promotion to the greater public. Service providers don’t want to integrate aeon. Sales platforms don’t want to integrate aeon. Nobody wants to beta test releases. And marketing, whatever happened to Thunderosa? Said he had final docs for me 3 weeks ago..... I don’t really know how anyone would think the project is going places other than what everyone has called it for 4 years as a testbed for Monero and a side project for everyone.

But yes, miners are making money every day mining empty blocks until supply runs out in due time.
stoffu

Activity: 203
Merit: 166

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2019, 03:20:20 AM

Neg sentiment comes from what seems to be a main reason people have disassociated themselves with aeon. Only core code was focused on for 5 years. In that same period, the same project that aeon merges development code change from also spent that time focusing on core code. The only difference is that Aeon (as it’s own project) did minimal work for this. Yes there were devs “working” on both projects but aeon got literally nothing else accomplished in this time frame other than some infrequent promotions to increase price and a happy asic miner.  Nobody ever laid the founding blocks of the project outside of core code and even there it wasn’t really laid out how or what people could contribute to outside 2-3 people. As you can see with Monero, as the project progressed in its life cycle, so did everything outside the core code. With Aeon it’s still stuck basically at EOY 1 with everything outside core code. Very few people want to contribute because they are either unable to contribute or are working on other projects. I have personally laid out some foundational blocks outside core code 5 years into the project that should have been there the first year. Nobody really did this.  For 5 years and it shows because nobody wants to maintain anything. Do you thing and move on. That’s not a healthy lifecycle.

The core code of Aeon is great. Always has been. Always will be. But at this point of the life cycle, with little to show outside that, it’s always overlooked outside promotion groups or people that see a micro cap crypto with a decent supply to make money on. Heck we even tried paying people to contribute and that’s got the project what over the last year? No web wallet. No iOS wallet. No android wallet. No hardware wallet. Zero contribution to fund project promotion to the greater public. Service providers don’t want to integrate aeon. Sales platforms don’t want to integrate aeon. Nobody wants to beta test releases. And marketing, whatever happened to Thunderosa? Said he had final docs for me 3 weeks ago..... I don’t really know how anyone would think the project is going places other than what everyone has called it for 4 years as a testbed for Monero and a side project for everyone.

But yes, miners are making money every day mining empty blocks until supply runs out in due time.

Meh. Your logic doesn’t make any sense to me. You’re absolutely welcome to sell all your coins and quit.
bigslimvdub

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2019, 03:24:08 AM

[/quote]

Meh. Your logic doesn’t make any sense to me. You’re absolutely welcome to sell all your coins and quit.
[/quote]

Reasons like that. Just saying.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1442

View Profile
November 12, 2019, 03:28:26 AM

@bigslimvdub. Where is the new negative sentiment coming from? Aeon has always been a small project and will always be a small project. What were you expecting?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Andretti83

Activity: 297
Merit: 112

PRIVATE AND NOT PREMINED: MONERO, AEON, KARBO

View Profile
November 12, 2019, 08:54:59 AM

Aeon has always been a small project and will always be a small project.
Agree, but also when you start searching for good cryptonote coins except Monero, it quickly turns out that Aeon is not that small and actually very relevant.

bigslimvdub

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2019, 02:59:07 AM

@bigslimvdub. Where is the new negative sentiment coming from? Aeon has always been a small project and will always be a small project. What were you expecting?

I don't recall mentioning "new" negative sentiment. It's pretty much been the same deal for a long time now (pre rebase debacle).

Small project yes, but how can this project "be a replacement for bitcoin" while being a small project this late in the game? Nobody has explained how it could even be possible that such a small project that has been around 5 years, a market rank of #300+, 80%+ emissions, and about 10 active social community contributors overtake the top cap cryptocurrency in the world?
You can't do this by just being easy to run a node for the next 20 years. Not saying it is not possible but its literally like climbing Mt. Everest with shorts and flip flops.

I'm also a little surprised the net hash for Monero has been pretty stable since the last hardfork, about 300Mh or so. Interesting that they are moving to randomX pow with this stable network hash rate. Either Asic devs held off and went all-in on RandomX design or they just gave up on Monero for now.
stoffu

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2019, 03:46:56 AM

Small project yes, but how can this project "be a replacement for bitcoin" while being a small project this late in the game? Nobody has explained how it could even be possible that such a small project that has been around 5 years, a market rank of #300+, 80%+ emissions, and about 10 active social community contributors overtake the top cap cryptocurrency in the world?

It can because there will be an increasingly strong demand for an electronic cash system that offers privacy by default, has tail emission, and is lightweight to process. Neither Bitcoin nor Monero (nor any other coins) satisfy these desiderata.
bigslimvdub

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2019, 07:07:52 PM

Interesting and fairly updated list of 293 Cryptonote coins that offer privacy by default, have some type of emissions schedule, and may or may not be light to transfer. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5115583.0

Most I would assume are worthless projects however with just these coins alone, Aeon must stand out in some way.
stoffu

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2019, 02:20:52 AM

Interesting and fairly updated list of 293 Cryptonote coins that offer privacy by default, have some type of emissions schedule, and may or may not be light to transfer. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5115583.0

Most I would assume are worthless projects however with just these coins alone, Aeon must stand out in some way.

• Aeon is very old, only 2 months younger than Monero. Longevity means a lot to legitimacy.
  • Most coins are premined or dev taxed.
  • Only Aeon is truly ASIC friendly. The OP of that thread calls coins using the original CryptoNight (with ASICs available) as ASIC friendly which is wrong. The original CryptoNight at this point is just a useless algorithm that failed to meet the original goal of ASIC resistance; the coin can only be mined profitably by ASICs, and those ASICs have to spend wasteful amount of energy for each hash calculation due to the inherent complexity of the algorithm. In contrast, truly ASIC friendly algorithms like K12 are inherently efficient to compute. Also remember that hash calculation efficiency directly affects the cost of blockchain sync.

Sorry, I just don't share your negative sentiment. Maybe this conversation is getting pointless and I should stop responding to you.
bigslimvdub

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2019, 05:26:34 AM

FYI AeonCLI isn't building on Windows now with the latest msys updates. I attempted to roll back boost but still getting errors.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 18, 2019, 10:04:33 PM

FYI AeonCLI isn't building on Windows now with the latest msys updates. I attempted to roll back boost but still getting errors.

Under investigation
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2019, 02:55:21 AM

I don't recall mentioning "new" negative sentiment. It's pretty much been the same deal for a long time now (pre rebase debacle).

You can't do this by just being easy to run a node for the next 20 years. Not saying it is not possible but its literally like climbing Mt. Everest with shorts and flip flops.

I'm also a little surprised the net hash for Monero has been pretty stable since the last hardfork, about 300Mh or so. Interesting that they are moving to randomX pow with this stable network hash rate. Either Asic devs held off and went all-in on RandomX design or they just gave up on Monero for now.

I did not receive this mission statement for Aeon to be a replacement for bitcoin. Who gave it to you?

In any case, I am here because I like Aeon as my hobby and because I reckon it is a neat project without corrupted individuals.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
bigslimvdub

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2019, 07:41:27 PM

Under investigation

Pr160 fixes this
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2019, 07:54:50 AM

Upcoming point release - new release candidate

After fixing numerous problems with the previous release candidate (build issues, newly discovered information leak to remote nodes in the upstream, etc.), we're once again preparing for the upcoming point release

It won't require any sort of fork, just upgrading.

If you are aware of any bugs or issues please be sure they are reported in the next few days so we can evaluate whether there are fixes worth including in this release. This could include testing the current unreleased master branch if you are able to compile from source (binaries should also be available soon), as that is likely to be same as the new release (unless new problems are discovered).

Report issues here:
https://github.com/aeonix/aeon/issues
https://github.com/aeonix/aeon-gui/issues
stoffu

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2019, 05:50:54 AM

Upcoming point release - new release candidate

After fixing numerous problems with the previous release candidate (build issues, newly discovered information leak to remote nodes in the upstream, etc.), we're once again preparing for the upcoming point release

It won't require any sort of fork, just upgrading.

If you are aware of any bugs or issues please be sure they are reported in the next few days so we can evaluate whether there are fixes worth including in this release. This could include testing the current unreleased master branch if you are able to compile from source (binaries should also be available soon), as that is likely to be same as the new release (unless new problems are discovered).

Report issues here:
https://github.com/aeonix/aeon/issues
https://github.com/aeonix/aeon-gui/issues
Prep binaries:

Hashes:
Code:
SHA256(aeon-gui-linux-x64-v0.13.1.0.pre.1.tar.bz2)= 22393fda60955a8bf62400488554e2d81ad339cd3bfc2a96b597858a24c6f877
SHA256(aeon-gui-mac-x64-v0.13.1.0.pre.1.tar.bz2)= 587b74bf2139cfe1ebe3e503657e1d1d312d5bae385193d89de8f72bd72238a7
SHA256(aeon-gui-win-x64-v0.13.1.0.pre.1.zip)= 3b7bc10c15fbc4a053773df609f30bc9db83ff1091d0b1352184c8b7a2ed51bf
GPG signature
GPG key
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2019, 05:51:58 AM

Note: above packages include both GUI and CLI.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2019, 03:16:26 AM

It appears Monero's fight for Asic resistance is becoming unsuccessful. I reckon this might not be good for Aeon if they change to a SHA3 mining algorithm that would be compatible to K12. We might be the neglected one again.

The mining hash rate for Monero has tripled following a recent change to the cryptocurrency's mining algorithm. The upgrade, called RandomX, is meant to make mining on the network more “general-purpose CPU” friendly. But the surging hash rate means Monero mining profitability has fallen off a cliff.

Read in full https://decrypt.co/14421/monero-mining-profitability-plummets-following-network-upgrade

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
stoffu

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2019, 04:57:20 AM
Merited by bbc.reporter (5), estenity (1)

It appears Monero's fight for Asic resistance is becoming unsuccessful. I reckon this might not be good for Aeon if they change to a SHA3 mining algorithm that would be compatible to K12. We might be the neglected one again.

The mining hash rate for Monero has tripled following a recent change to the cryptocurrency's mining algorithm. The upgrade, called RandomX, is meant to make mining on the network more “general-purpose CPU” friendly. But the surging hash rate means Monero mining profitability has fallen off a cliff.

Read in full https://decrypt.co/14421/monero-mining-profitability-plummets-following-network-upgrade

RandomX is faster to compute than CryptoNight variants, so it's no surprise that the hash rate tripled after the fork. Everyone is mining at higher hash rate than before, so the profitability per kH naturally becomes lower. The article is just spreading misinformation.

I doubt RandomX ASICs coming out in the near future. The algorithm design is quite sophisticated, so creating economically viable ASICs with massively higher efficiency (e.g. 1000x) compared to CPUs will likely require a number of technological breakthroughs in the chip design industry. Though I believe they'll come out eventually when Monero gets more widely adopted and gains more financial values, it won't happen any time soon (maybe in a couple of years or even more).
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2019, 03:32:49 AM

Everyone reading in the thread should give merit to stoffu hehehe.

In any case, Poloniex is beginning to list new coins again. It might be our only opportunity to relist. smooth, stoffu, bigslimvdub?

https://medium.com/poloniex/how-to-get-an-asset-listed-on-poloniex-bb2fce5194b8?

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Pages: « 1 ... 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 [295] 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: