Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:26:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... 318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AEON: Scalable, private, mobile-friendly cryptocurrency  (Read 625086 times)
estenity

Activity: 1918
Merit: 535

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 11:56:29 PM

interesting discussion

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aeon/comments/8dr2xs/a_perspective/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1440

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 12:56:31 AM

I agree with pennys2pounds . I also reckon that Aeon will have to move out of Monero's shadow, and embracing ASICs would just be that opportunity to do it. We cannot be another litecoin of bitcoin that always waits like a parasite scamcoin and copies features developed in Monero.

And what about the decentralisation ?

If common people can't mine, only big farm will do, and what about Bitmain ? only one compagny behind more of 51% of the calculation could be an enormous problem on middle/ long terms ...

The ASICs are coming and there is nothing the common people can do about it. But smooth and americanpegasus has thought it good to switch to an ASIC resistant mining algorithm, which is a misnomer, and then switch to an ASIC friendly, but easier to commoditize mining chip production algorithm if it does not work.

Now I ask, wouldn't it be better if we went straight to the ASIC friendly, but easier to commoditize mining chip production algorithm, than going through hardfork after hardfork?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
phamhung141a

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 03:15:15 PM

How to import my funds from my old wallet to the new GUI?

Thanks
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 04:33:41 PM

All this whining about ASICS is just childish.

Name calling is not a persuasive argument. There is good research and theory pointing both to ASICs being positive and negative so the issue is a lot more nuanced. Appealing to your alleged superior maturity actually demonstrates the opposite.
boomboombazookajeff
Copper Member

Activity: 234
Merit: 1

https://twitter.com/bazookajeff

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2018, 05:46:32 PM

Name calling is not a persuasive argument. There is good research and theory pointing both to ASICs being positive and negative so the issue is a lot more nuanced. Appealing to your alleged superior maturity actually demonstrates the opposite.

I agree, attack the idea and not the person. How else will we get anywhere on this issue?

The source from which existing things derive their existence is also that to which they return at their destruction.
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2018, 06:43:16 PM
Merited by b4h4mu7 (1)

Now I ask, wouldn't it be better if we went straight to the ASIC friendly, but easier to commoditize mining chip production algorithm, than going through hardfork after hardfork?
Agreed. Monero's idea of slightly altering the PoW parameters every X months is just whack-a-mole, and doesn't sound like a proper development plan for any serious tech person. On the plus side, at least they are admitting that the PoW they devised to be ASIC-resistant in the past isn't very resistant now, because (omg) technology moves on. (Gosh, is it really 7 years since we developed the first Bitcoin FPGA miners? I still have that dev board lying around.)

For something arguably more ASIC-resistant, Boolberry has had its Wild Keccak for a few years, but I guess it's NIH for everyone else. Zcoin's upcoming MTP also looks interesting with its multi-gigabyte memory requirements. But even they won't be ASIC-proof forever -- remember when 640 KB was enough for everybody?

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
LaScuderia

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2018, 06:49:13 PM

Their biggest problem is that if they capture most of the power it will simply squeeze out all who honestly minitize and do not use industrial power. As for me, it's most honest to share as done in monero and similar forks and tokens.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1440

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 01:36:09 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2018, 02:13:30 AM by bbc.reporter

Agreed. Monero's idea of slightly altering the PoW parameters every X months is just whack-a-mole, and doesn't sound like a proper development plan for any serious tech person. On the plus side, at least they are admitting that the PoW they devised to be ASIC-resistant in the past isn't very resistant now, because (omg) technology moves on. (Gosh, is it really 7 years since we developed the first Bitcoin FPGA miners? I still have that dev board lying around.)

Yes, Fluffypony's justification is because Monero is still a small network. But then are they also planning for the longterm future of the project? Of course, and I reckon they should make determined efforts to deal with ASICs now than going for short term solutions in between.

But if they are doing it to buy time for their ultimate solution then good on them. They are one of the best development teams in the cryptospace for a reason.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
pennys2pounds

Activity: 77

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 07:47:47 AM

Look in the mirror and read that back to yourself....
SparkIt

Activity: 714
Merit: 529

View Profile
April 22, 2018, 11:36:58 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2018, 11:50:59 AM by SparkIt

The reason for the jump in difficulty is indirectly linked to ASICS. The miners that have bought these are now mining cryptonight, so those with FPGAs have shifted from cryptonight to cryptonight light as its a little more profitable.

The good news is that wasn't anywhere near as many of these sold as the ASICS so the difficulty will level out shortly.

A higher difficulty is a more secure network, networks that are more secure and with more hash, have higher coin prices.

Aeon does not need a fork imo, it needs the hashpower more to keep up with it's rivals and that is something that I am sure the devs are considering.

All this whining about ASICS is just childish. With mainstream
You all want mainstream, yet when they begins more money and better technology is inevitable.

Keep forking, the technology will just keep adapting. It's time to embrace change, Satoshis vision was only an idea. Even he wouldn't have understood just how far it would go.

You know that miners with ASICS, FPGAS, GPUs are all miners and are all part of the community.

Time to work together and embrace change.

Well said! Increasing the power of the network and complexity is an evolutionary process, which is necessary for further strengthening of the Aeon.

There is no point in mined a coin if it never becomes a top-coin or at least a coin of the second echelon.

In the end, holders will be rewarded with an increase in the price of a volume that they managed to mined.

Name calling is not a persuasive argument. There is good research and theory pointing both to ASICs being positive and negative so the issue is a lot more nuanced.

The duality of the problem is undeniable.  However, what is harmful to Monero doesn't necessarily will do harm to Aeon at the current stage of its development. Still, "move out of a shadow" is a very strong argument.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 23, 2018, 11:23:13 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2018, 11:33:56 PM by smooth
Merited by bbc.reporter (1)

On the plus side, at least they are admitting that the PoW they devised to be ASIC-resistant in the past isn't very resistant now

FYI, the current Monero team had nothing to do with devising the original algorithm.

I feel it kind of did okay in holding off not only ASICs but even domination of CPUs by GPUs for four years, which is more than can be said for most if not all other algorithms which have tried that. But in the end the designers made some incorrect assumptions and it proved to be broken.

This isn't really just a question of technology moving on, as CPUs (and GPUs) have also improved significantly so ASICs had and have a moving target. But still the algorithm just did not do what it was supposed to do.

multi-gigabyte memory requirements

Large memory requirements will not in and of themselves make it ASIC resistant. If just the amount of memory is the the main issue, then ASIC builders can just attach a lot of cheap external memory as they are doing with Ethereum ASICs. (Not intended as a review of MTP generally, just the comment about memory usage.)

Yes, Fluffypony's justification is because Monero is still a small network. But then are they also planning for the longterm future of the project? Of course, and I reckon they should make determined efforts to deal with ASICs now than going for short term solutions in between.

But if they are doing it to buy time for their ultimate solution then good on them. They are one of the best development teams in the cryptospace for a reason.

I'm pretty sure FP has explained his reasoning being that ASICs need to get to the point where they are commoditized before they can be relied upon for a decentralized mining network. Size of the network and industry could be part of that. And yes he has said that he expects the best solution to be ASICs eventually, but not yet.
huyenphung8698

Activity: 74

View Profile
April 25, 2018, 04:03:25 PM

I just disabled banning on my pool, and will reenable it some time after the fork. This should let people switch a bit before or after without issues caused by temporary bad hashes.
plavirudar

Activity: 78
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 01:02:44 PM

Do you happen to know of one such algorithm that is vetted to be secure and is currently available or can be easily put into production for ASIC chips?

If there isn't such a chip that allows for (relatively) decentralised ASIC mining, then the next best thing to do is simply going to be delaying tactics to allow the coin to be mined in a decentralised manner until such an algorithm becomes available and chips are produced for it.
thuthi13

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:37:31 PM

I guess it's meant in a way that GPU won't give you any performance boost when compared to CPU mining.
Currently my i7 4790 is on par with R9 280x (yam vs CN gpu miner).
[/quote]

can you post your yam-xmr config file please? iam attemtping to use that miner but my 4770k cant seem to so more then 160h/s
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:07:22 AM

Come on guys/gals start pushing those votes on polo and maybe get in touch with bittrix and see if they will list aeon as well.... more exchanges the better the covereage

It's on bittrex already, not sure about bittrix tho. Also, neither of those exchanges has voting...less retarded bot accounts the better the discourse
lncm

Activity: 388
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 10:53:44 AM

So, is Aeon POW changing to V7 anytime soon, or not really?
b4h4mu7

Activity: 337
Merit: 315

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 01:19:45 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 01:38:35 PM by b4h4mu7

For something arguably more ASIC-resistant, Boolberry has had its Wild Keccak for a few years, but I guess it's NIH for everyone else. Zcoin's upcoming MTP also looks interesting with its multi-gigabyte memory requirements. But even they won't be ASIC-proof forever -- remember when 640 KB was enough for everybody?

FYI, the current Monero team had nothing to do with devising the original algorithm.

No, but in a sense they did take credit for it by promoting the algorithm as such without making improvements to harden it, so the burden is theirs to carry just the same. I fully agree with teknohog's assumption that their decision to alter PoW parameters every quarter is flawed logic and shows level of amateur design and development going into Monero. It's no wonder why Edward Snowden classifies it as an amateur cryptocurrency project.

On the other hand Boolberry distanced itself from Cryptonight with the introduction of Wild Keccak which, just like the Monero traceability report relative to Boolberry's guaranteed output, shows level of understanding and foresight not present anywhere in Monero. Although both Cryptonight and Wild Keccak use weakened cryptographic primitives without any justification being provided by either authors; WK is a step in the right direction with regards to providing ASIC performance resistance over Cryptonight with its blockchain based scratchpad.

I feel it kind of did okay in holding off not only ASICs but even domination of CPUs by GPUs for four years, which is more than can be said for most if not all other algorithms which have tried that. But in the end the designers made some incorrect assumptions and it proved to be broken.

This isn't really just a question of technology moving on, as CPUs (and GPUs) have also improved significantly so ASICs had and have a moving target. But still the algorithm just did not do what it was supposed to do.

Holding off ASICs? No offense, but you seem to have a very basic understanding of algorithm design and ASIC development.. ASICs are ALWAYS possible regardless of the underlying algorithm. The idea of being "ASIC resistant" that somehow said algorithm prevents the design and development of an ASIC is a fallacy that's been regurgitated by armchair cryptographers across the cryptocurrency space.

The proper term should be "ASIC performance resistance" as the key to preventing hardware dominance is proper algorithm design for correct cost/benefit/performance analysis. I give crypto_zoidberg as free pass here with regards to him branding Wild Keccak as "ASIC resistant" due to his language barrier, no doubt he meant ASIC performance resistant vs typical terminologies.

Development of an ASIC is roughly 10m USD just to get to a prototype stage. If the end result is an ASIC that performs on par with its CPU or GPU counterparts then the algorithm still retains it's decentralized property thus can be classified as egalitarian. At that point it's purely a matter of who to support Intel, AMD or a new hardware manufacturer with an interest in said currency rather than a question of 100% performance gain over the former.

multi-gigabyte memory requirements

Large memory requirements will not in and of themselves make it ASIC resistant. If just the amount of memory is the the main issue, then ASIC builders can just attach a lot of cheap external memory as they are doing with Ethereum ASICs. (Not intended as a review of MTP generally, just the comment about memory usage.)

Again, nothing will make anything ASIC resistant in the typical terminology used by armchair cryptographers as ASIC development is always possible with any algorithm. Reducing hardware dominance to retain egalitarian properties can only be achieved with proper design. The easy fix here would be to adopt Wild Keccak as replacement for Monero's algorithm as it is a direct drop in replacement a worthy successor to Cryptonight.

Or the more logical approach would be to simply just take up an interest in Boolberry and support the superior project. Now that Crypto_zoidberg is back with a full team of developers to support him and the fundamental flaws present in Monero's design it's the only logical decision at this point. Instead of simply migrating to Monero's codebase like Aeon is doing, Zoidberg is making substantial improvements with his own unique LMDB implementation (due for release next week) which leaves 3 unique cryptonote codebases: Bytecoin, Monero and Boolberry.

https://github.com/cryptozoidberg/boolberry/branches

(work on LMDB can be viewed on LMDB and LMDB_Core branches).

https://medium.com/@BoolberryBBR/boolberry-monthly-progress-report-march-ccb7d1433472

(Not intended as a review of MTP generally, just the comment about memory usage.)

Not taken as one, however, our our full review on MTP-Argon2 can be viewed at the ePrint below.

"Itsuku: a Memory-Hardened Proof-of-Work Scheme"
https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/1168

What started as an initial review of Cryptonight, Wild Keccak and later MTP-Argon2 spiraled into full blown R&D of a new algorithm Itsuku. Over the course of the last year we've achieved 1/16th the proof size of the original MTP design and hardened it against all known attack vectors. We also provide proper hardware design for the algorithm. Among other things, the beauty of Itsuku is that memory bandwidth is the limiting factor, not the size, so even 64GiB over 4GiB will not see much improvement. This algorithm will be used in our upcoming Moneda [XMN] and Doubloon [XDB] reference projects. ZCoin and Turtlecoin are the only projects I know of waiting for us to release either reference project so they can use the algorithm in their system.

https://github.com/turtlecoin/meta/issues/74

Feel free to read through it. In section 6, we briefly outline comparative analysis between Cryptonight, Wild Keccak and Itsuku. That will give you a better understanding of the underlying systems here. We plan on releasing another paper that focuses purely on Cryptonight vs Wild Keccak with improvements that will be made to the latter increase egalitarian properties however this will be released after only after our next paper is published.

In our initial discovery we've found that WK is much better suited than CN to retain said properties. As stated earlier the quick and easy solution would be to adopt WK but again at that point you'd be better off just supporting Boolberry as the original developer is back on the project full time.
hameshsmith

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 03:21:43 PM

ah i see .bat file in blockchain download file , but folder dont' generate when i run it
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 04:20:53 PM

...words....

so this is basically an advertisment for boolberry?

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 04:46:39 PM

...words....

so this is basically an advertisment for boolberry?

Yes, and not to veer too far afield, but the crux of the argument in the advertisement seems to be "buy now because zoidberg is back", which seems like a pretty silly reason to buy since however smart the guy is he is clearly flaky af and could disappear for another three years at any moment. Bilberry was interesting, wasn't a fan of the 1% dev tax, but that seems mild and quaint by today's standards - I don't think you can raise a currency from the dead though (which to some extent aeon is attempting to do as well).
Pages: « 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 ... 318 »
  Print  

Jump to: