Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:58:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 [821] 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984060 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 12:31:20 PM

It is still high volume compared to the less information the developers provide to the public. Why should someone invest into a project where nobody knows where the development will go to.

Wow, 9 BTC 24h volume for NEM!! WTF!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
schnidl

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

POS killed the POW-star

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 12:58:20 PM

Is it a problem if i don't log in to my account, if i wait until summer? I remember that a part of the NXT community fund were untouched coins from the initial distribution (they took the coins from untouched accounts afaik).
I don't want this happen to me, because i'm active, but i dont wanna touch my account at the moment (until July).
Tompa

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:10:11 PM

Is it a problem if i don't log in to my account, if i wait until summer? I remember that a part of the NXT community fund were untouched coins from the initial distribution (they took the coins from untouched accounts afaik).
I don't want this happen to me, because i'm active, but i dont wanna touch my account at the moment (until July).

I certainly am not a developer and I reall don't know how and in which direction NEM will be developed, but knowing that it isn't short term but a long term project I think if you have your private key stored safely your funds (XEM) will wait for you.
On the other hand I recommend following at least the most basic channels connected to NEM project like: http://blog.nem.io/
Visit that link at least once per week just to stay informed. At the end if you have investment in the project, take care of that investment and don't allow yourself to loose it just because of your negligence.
greentea
Legendary

Activity: 1418
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:29:01 PM

This bid closed at 06:30 GMT on 18th. April, 2015.
-passed the aution  Embarrassed ..it was sadly a very short peroid,..perhabs next time Wink

...was it successful?

Yes, it was successful.

Winning bids were ?

Yes I would like to know the winning bids as well ...

NEM   NanoWallet   SuperNodes   Apostille   Landstead   Catapult   Mijin
▃▃▃▅▅▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▅▅▅▃▃▃
Amalgamus

Activity: 189

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:22:21 PM

On the 13th of April I had thousands of transaction fees of 10 xem pouring into my wallet. It lasted for a couple of hours, and every second or sometimes a few seconds they would come in. I was often getting  more than 20 transaction fees per block, all coming from this address:
NBCZC2-R25QL2-FYFJ3F-36YV6B-67GL54-DTOPA5-LXED
 I cannot even see the beginning of it as when I scroll down the transactions history my computer slows down too much and I gave up counting them after a couple of hours.
Anybody knows what could have happen?
BloodyRookie

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:42:38 PM

There is one guy who likes to spam the network so most probably you got the xem from him Wink

Nothing Else Matters
NEM: NALICE-LGU3IV-Y4DPJK-HYLSSV-YFFWYS-5QPLYE-ZDJJ
NXT: 11095639652683007953
Amalgamus

Activity: 189

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:55:09 PM

There is one guy who likes to spam the network so most probably you got the xem from him Wink
Alright then. Hope he is going to carry on spamming my wallet again. Wink
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:19:42 PM

Question for discussion:

Should exchanges be allowed to harvest?

You can't stop anyone from harvesting. Each account makes it's own decision
From what i know from some poloniex mods, their contract prohibits harvesting
If poloniex is NBZMQO7ZPBYNBDUR7F75MAKA2S3DHDCIFG775N3D then they are harvesting

It's their call no one can stop them. Although I must say I wouldn't do that...

If they really do, I hope they're doing it on some separate node, not on the node they use for getting information.
So exchanges are like banks then? Charge a fee to buy & sell and use the parked XEM for a high POI score so they can harvest blocks for the txs fees.

People hate banks for the profits they make off us but I guess it's ok for exchanges.

Well, this is a problem.
Many people send to Poloniex and increase her PoI. Already at 10%, no way to avoid this, ok?
it is possible attack the network with a significant amount of PoI?

It's always a bad idea to leave your crypto's at exchanges for more time than you need to. People should know this. See my signature and you know what I mean.
Unfortunately this is a necessary evil. Is have no another marketplace better than Exchanges.
I lost that amount in Bter.

No it's not a necessary evil. Why would it be necessary for anyone to leave any coin on an exchange ?
If you want to sell something deposit the amount you want to sell on an exchange. Keep the rest in your wallet.

It's really baffling that people still keep coins on exchanges. How many compromised exchanges does it take for people to learn ? I guess always 1 more.

you should ask the question why people let her coins on exchanges!!

Because it is easier, and because people do not want install additional software, and also because an exchange can be accessed from everywhere.

That's why NEM would be a step forward to the others with a secure, easy constructed and accessible online wallet

Dissagree.
They leave it there because they wanna trade and speculate. You honestly mean to tell me that people are using exchanges as online wallets ? C'mon. I gues we'll see a huge waves of withdrawals when the app comes out then ?

PestoQuinty

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:27:36 PM

Question for discussion:

If poloniex is NBZMQO7ZPBYNBDUR7F75MAKA2S3DHDCIFG775N3D then they are harvesting

If they really do, I hope they're doing it on some separate node, not on the node they use for getting information.
So exchanges are like banks then? Charge a fee to buy & sell and use the parked XEM for a high POI score so they can harvest blocks for the txs fees.

People hate banks for the profits they make off us but I guess it's ok for exchanges.

Well, this is a problem.
Many people send to Poloniex and increase her PoI. Already at 10%, no way to avoid this, ok?

It's always a bad idea to leave your crypto's at exchanges for more time than you need to. People should know this. See my signature and you know what I mean.
Unfortunately this is a necessary evil. Is have no another marketplace better than Exchanges.

No it's not a necessary evil. Why would it be necessary for anyone to leave any coin on an exchange ?
If you want to sell something deposit the amount you want to sell on an exchange. Keep the rest in your wallet.

It's really baffling that people still keep coins on exchanges. How many compromised exchanges does it take for people to learn ? I guess always 1 more.

Because it is easier, and because people do not want install additional software, and also because an exchange can be accessed from everywhere.

That's why NEM would be a step forward to the others with a secure, easy constructed and accessible online wallet

Dissagree.
They leave it there because they wanna trade and speculate. You honestly mean to tell me that people are using exchanges as online wallets ? C'mon. I gues we'll see a huge waves of withdrawals when the app comes out then ?

Well, for example, i used to keep all my XMR on Polo until web wallet came out... I guess there are reasons to keep coins on exchanges out of convinience, not just trading, it serves as a multi-wallet...
patmast3r

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:33:39 PM

Question for discussion:

Well, this is a problem.

Dissagree.

Well, for example, i used to keep all my XMR on Polo until web wallet came out... I guess there are reasons to keep coins on exchanges out of convinience, not just trading, it serves as a multi-wallet...

I don't understand that. I mean okay, appearantly it is indeed a use case but I don't understand why anyone would do it. It's like putting your money at risk for a little bit of convenience. It's pretty much like running around with all your money in cash in your wallet all the time just so you don't have to go to an atm. Makes no sense imho.

instacalm

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:46:20 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 03:58:08 PM by instacash

I don't understand that. I mean okay, appearantly it is indeed a use case but I don't understand why anyone would do it. It's like putting your money at risk for a little bit of convenience. It's pretty much like running around with all your money in cash in your wallet all the time just so you don't have to go to an atm. Makes no sense imho.

A lot of people dislike the usual cryptocurrency clients because they think those clients are uncomfortable and/or hard to operate. Convenience is extremely important. I for one don't have any issues but I prefer Electrum over Bitcoin-Qt any day. If NEM wants to attract all kinds of people and not just the tiny ~250k that are already using Bitcoin, it has to be fool proof. No Nis booting, no blockchain syncing, no installing, none of that. It's way too much for the average user. It must be ready to use instantaneously. Make it as simple and as easy and possible.

Non-developer friends of mine outright refuse to use Bitcoin-Qt, Nxt client, etc... even words like crypto or blockchain turn them off. Once they realise Bitcoin-Qt needs a lot of time to sync they're like "wow why wait? PayPal is much better" (and rightly so tbh). If there's a lot of waiting, learning or fiddling involved, people aren't interested.

As easy as possible and as fast as possible is the way to go. On mobile and on desktop.
Tompa

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 04:02:53 PM

A lot of people dislike the usual cryptocurrency clients because they think those clients are uncomfortable and/or hard to operate. I for one don't have any issues but I prefer Electrum over Bitcoin-Qt any day. To make all kinds of people use NEM it has to be fool proof. No Nis booting, no blockchain syncing, no installing, none of that. It's way too much for the average user. It must be ready to use instantaneously. Make it as simple and as easy and possible.

Non-developer friends of mine outright refuse to use Bitcoin-Qt, Nxt client, etc... even words like crypto or blockchain turn them off. Once they realise Bitcoin-Qt needs a lot of time to sync they're like "wow why wait? PayPal is much better" (and rightly so tbh). If there's a lot of waiting, learning or fiddling involved, people aren't interested.

As easy as possible and as fast as possible is the way to go. On mobile and on desktop.

Exactly.
I had to move some NXT now and I haven't run the client in the last 8 days and it took 20-ish minutes to sync so that I can send NXT.
Unacceptable. Imagine nowdays that you have to wait 20 minutes to send an email.
Cold storage is different thing... I'm prepared to trade security with time and convenience...

Another idea I would really like to see: some sort of notification when tx arrives. The tray icon used to have pretty verbose notifications about NIS/NCC/something activity but no notificiations that someone sent me XEM.

I'm hoping that mobile app will bring those notifications at least, also I've been suggesting that instant transactions notifications need to happen if we ever want to see people using NEM to buy stuff in brick&mortar stores... I don't know how does it work now, maybe it is all already done. In that case - good work! :-)

Bitcoin is very slow (10-minute blocks) but tx are broadcasted immediately (I believe NEM's tx are too - they need to be) and that makes BTC useful to buy stuff without waiting for confirmations. Ofcourse on larger txs and if you have time, you can always wait 3-4 tx.
rockethead
Legendary

Activity: 1059
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 04:29:27 PM

One thing I know for sure is if I want to use my wallet I don't need to boot up NIS. I just boot up NCC and connect it with any NIS and I am in the network immediately.

Cannot be any simpler.
instacalm

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 04:31:05 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 04:46:17 PM by instacash

just boot up NCC and connect it with any NIS and I am in the network immediately.

Cannot be any simpler.

no, that's actually not simple. boot, connect...
fine for you and me, not for everyone. the average person won't "boot up NCC and connect to any NIS", believe me.
Average person is not even interested what NCC or NIS means or is. In my view the fool proof solution I described above is essential if the target audience is NOT only the 250k already involved in Bitcoin but also people other than that small circle.
patmast3r

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 04:32:17 PM

just boot up NCC and connect it with any NIS and I am in the network immediately.

Cannot be any simpler.

no, that's not simple. boot, connect...
fine for you and me, not for everyone. the average person won't "boot and connect to any NIS", believe me.

You don't need to boot or connect. You start NCC, enter your password and are done. Ready to go.
Obviously you need to configure it once but that doesn't have to stay that way.

instacalm

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 04:42:20 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 05:07:37 PM by instacash

Cannot be any simpler.

no, that's not simple. boot, connect...
fine for you and me, not for everyone. the average person won't "boot and connect to any NIS", believe me.

You don't need to boot or connect. You start NCC, enter your password and are done. Ready to go.

Surprisingly, plenty comments in this thread actually tell otherwise -- and keep in mind those users are already used to cryptocurrency clients and far from clueless. They already know the gist of the software. BUT, example:
not baffling really when the NEM software stops working all the time. Since this latest upgrade I can't access my wallet anymore Sad
Any help please? Even though it says NIS and NIC is running it will not let me open my wallet. The NCC will not work...

It is not as smooth/simple as you make it appear to be.
To succeed in some serious adoption user convenience must be #1 priority. Don't expect anyone to fiddle around or learn. You know, it all seems simple if you know what it is. Sure, it's extremely simple for me. I understand the software. "Average guy/gal" doesn't, cause he/she neither has the time nor interest to get into this.

If you really want to see average people (including those who reject Bitcoin) use this thing, the suggested electrum-style wallets / web wallets etc. -- everything that makes it as simple to use as PayPal -- are absolutely, fundamentally essential. A realist clearly knows that if one ignores potential user's convenience, users will ignore NEM. It is as simple as that. If it's not easy to adopt it won't be used. But I guess we're all aware of that, right?

just my 2 cents.
loyer

Activity: 73

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:21:19 PM

Question for discussion:

Well, this is a problem.

Dissagree.

with all respect. you are totally wrong. Many guys are using exchanges as online wallets. What are cryptocurrencies at the Moment? Let's be honest, speculation objects! For this reason mostly part of People Keep their funds there in order to react quickly.
accept you are at work and cannot Access a Computer, and the Price is crashing... you would can react immediately! For this reason an online wallet is fundamental.
loyer

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:26:27 PM

Question for discussion:

Well, this is a problem.

Dissagree.

it make sense. Cryptocurrencies are risky anyway. The value can Crash at every time... Everyone would can Access his Money from everywhere and not from home Computer only... try to start a poll, i bet my stake that i would win  Wink
patmast3r

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:51:19 PM

Question for discussion:

Well, this is a problem.

Dissagree.

with all respect. you are totally wrong. Many guys are using exchanges as online wallets. What are cryptocurrencies at the Moment? Let's be honest, speculation objects! For this reason mostly part of People Keep their funds there in order to react quickly.
accept you are at work and cannot Access a Computer, and the Price is crashing... you would can react immediately! For this reason an online wallet is fundamental.

And how is reacting to the price crashing not trading / speculating ?
For me that's the same thing.

Not to mention that mostly the price crashes due to people having all their coins on exchanges and doing a lot of speculation. Prices don't just crash because they feel like it.

Anyway...I guess we can all agree to dissagree  Smiley

loyer

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:55:03 PM

Question for discussion:

Well, this is a problem.

Dissagree.

And how is reacting to the price crashing not trading / speculating ?
For me that's the same thing.

Not to mention that mostly the price crashes due to people having all their coins on exchanges and doing a lot of speculation. Prices don't just crash because they feel like it.

Anyway...I guess we can all agree to dissagree  Smiley

LOL, only nem Team does disagree  as to all that is proposed  Cheesy Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 [821] 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: