Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:44:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 [822] 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984064 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mickyd

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:58:50 PM

Question for discussion:

Should exchanges be allowed to harvest?

You can't stop anyone from harvesting. Each account makes it's own decision
From what i know from some poloniex mods, their contract prohibits harvesting
If poloniex is NBZMQO7ZPBYNBDUR7F75MAKA2S3DHDCIFG775N3D then they are harvesting

It's their call no one can stop them. Although I must say I wouldn't do that...

If they really do, I hope they're doing it on some separate node, not on the node they use for getting information.
So exchanges are like banks then? Charge a fee to buy & sell and use the parked XEM for a high POI score so they can harvest blocks for the txs fees.

People hate banks for the profits they make off us but I guess it's ok for exchanges.

Well, this is a problem.
Many people send to Poloniex and increase her PoI. Already at 10%, no way to avoid this, ok?
it is possible attack the network with a significant amount of PoI?

It's always a bad idea to leave your crypto's at exchanges for more time than you need to. People should know this. See my signature and you know what I mean.
Unfortunately this is a necessary evil. Is have no another marketplace better than Exchanges.
I lost that amount in Bter.

No it's not a necessary evil. Why would it be necessary for anyone to leave any coin on an exchange ?
If you want to sell something deposit the amount you want to sell on an exchange. Keep the rest in your wallet.

It's really baffling that people still keep coins on exchanges. How many compromised exchanges does it take for people to learn ? I guess always 1 more.

you should ask the question why people let her coins on exchanges!!

Because it is easier, and because people do not want install additional software, and also because an exchange can be accessed from everywhere.

That's why NEM would be a step forward to the others with a secure, easy constructed and accessible online wallet

Dissagree.
They leave it there because they wanna trade and speculate. You honestly mean to tell me that people are using exchanges as online wallets ? C'mon. I gues we'll see a huge waves of withdrawals when the app comes out then ?

with all respect. you are totally wrong. Many guys are using exchanges as online wallets. What are cryptocurrencies at the Moment? Let's be honest, speculation objects! For this reason mostly part of People Keep their funds there in order to react quickly.
accept you are at work and cannot Access a Computer, and the Price is crashing... you would can react immediately! For this reason an online wallet is fundamental.

And how is reacting to the price crashing not trading / speculating ?
For me that's the same thing.

Not to mention that mostly the price crashes due to people having all their coins on exchanges and doing a lot of speculation. Prices don't just crash because they feel like it.

Anyway...I guess we can all agree to dissagree  Smiley

LOL, only nem Team does disagree  as to all that is proposed  Cheesy Grin

right! it is exactly like that outsider proposals are completely ignored, therefore, the people lose interest in participation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mickyd

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:27:40 PM

Question for discussion:

Should exchanges be allowed to harvest?

You can't stop anyone from harvesting. Each account makes it's own decision
From what i know from some poloniex mods, their contract prohibits harvesting
If poloniex is NBZMQO7ZPBYNBDUR7F75MAKA2S3DHDCIFG775N3D then they are harvesting

It's their call no one can stop them. Although I must say I wouldn't do that...

If they really do, I hope they're doing it on some separate node, not on the node they use for getting information.
So exchanges are like banks then? Charge a fee to buy & sell and use the parked XEM for a high POI score so they can harvest blocks for the txs fees.

People hate banks for the profits they make off us but I guess it's ok for exchanges.

Well, this is a problem.
Many people send to Poloniex and increase her PoI. Already at 10%, no way to avoid this, ok?
it is possible attack the network with a significant amount of PoI?

It's always a bad idea to leave your crypto's at exchanges for more time than you need to. People should know this. See my signature and you know what I mean.
Unfortunately this is a necessary evil. Is have no another marketplace better than Exchanges.
I lost that amount in Bter.

No it's not a necessary evil. Why would it be necessary for anyone to leave any coin on an exchange ?
If you want to sell something deposit the amount you want to sell on an exchange. Keep the rest in your wallet.

It's really baffling that people still keep coins on exchanges. How many compromised exchanges does it take for people to learn ? I guess always 1 more.

you should ask the question why people let her coins on exchanges!!

Because it is easier, and because people do not want install additional software, and also because an exchange can be accessed from everywhere.

That's why NEM would be a step forward to the others with a secure, easy constructed and accessible online wallet

Dissagree.
They leave it there because they wanna trade and speculate. You honestly mean to tell me that people are using exchanges as online wallets ? C'mon. I gues we'll see a huge waves of withdrawals when the app comes out then ?

with all respect. you are totally wrong. Many guys are using exchanges as online wallets. What are cryptocurrencies at the Moment? Let's be honest, speculation objects! For this reason mostly part of People Keep their funds there in order to react quickly.
accept you are at work and cannot Access a Computer, and the Price is crashing... you would can react immediately! For this reason an online wallet is fundamental.

And how is reacting to the price crashing not trading / speculating ?
For me that's the same thing.

Not to mention that mostly the price crashes due to people having all their coins on exchanges and doing a lot of speculation. Prices don't just crash because they feel like it.

Anyway...I guess we can all agree to dissagree  Smiley

LOL, only nem Team does disagree  as to all that is proposed  Cheesy Grin

right! it is exactly like that outsider proposals are completely ignored, therefore, the people lose interest in participation
what proposals? build a web wallet? we need a (GOOD) dev who will either work for nem or do it for free.. mobile app? its in development.. if proposals are made they will obviously be looked into but not everything is possible to do because of either funding or lack of willing man power.

@loyer, one mans opinion does not represent that of the teams.. the only posts which represent the opinion of the team are either announcements or posts where it is explicitly stated. please dont portray one persons opinion as that of the teams. we dont consult each other before every post we make thus they are PERSONAL opinions.

i for one agree we need some kind of VERY accessible web type wallet, like spotify for crypto. but whos going to do it? proposals are useless if no one could or would do it.

Holding 70% of NEM are funds enough to create everythin proposed IMO
DenisZabar

Activity: 614
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 06:29:05 PM

Is it possible to harvesting while computer is turned off??

mickyd

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:36:38 PM

@mickyd, not if no one accepts nem....  unless you would rather us crash the market? having such an amount of nem is useless if A) no GOOD devs accept it and B) market is too thin to even sell enough to cover current expenses, let alone add more expenses...

right! and without the necessary infrastructure (about what we just discussed), A+B will not arrive! which is a circuit

so i made the proposals at the time, to increase the volume
Tompa

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:39:16 PM

Yes! :-)
After you have activated delegated harvesting, you need to go under settings and replace localhost with one public node address.

Tutorial how to set delegated harvesting:
http://blog.nem.io/how-to-use-delegated-harvesting/

List of nodes with public access:
https://forum.ournem.com/vps-nodes/list-of-dedicated-vps-nodes-to-conect-nem/

I hope this info was helpful...
If you have additional questions, I recommend visiting/joining official forum: https://forum.ournem.com/
mickyd

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:06:20 PM

@mickyd, not if no one accepts nem....  unless you would rather us crash the market? having such an amount of nem is useless if A) no GOOD devs accept it and B) market is too thin to even sell enough to cover current expenses, let alone add more expenses...

right! and without the necessary infrastructure (about what we just discussed), A+B will not arrive! which is a circuit

so i made the proposals at the time, to increase the volume

the thing is though, placing a buy wall doesnt increase volume and it will only delay market moves. you can slow a market down, or temporarily make it fall or rise but unless you have enough to sustain the manipulation over a period of time, its not going to have a lasting effect. you could place a 50 btc buy wall and it may for a long time hold the market up, but volume wouldnt increase and eventually, the price would creep ever closer to it and then sellers get nervous and start taking chunks out of it and before you know it, your bag holding and the market is falling like it would have originally.

infrastructure is something nem has been focusing on best it can since day one through development of a stable network and a good client from launch as well as putting a mobile app into development (the cost of which is the reason for the auction) so that we can get more folks into nem as soon as possible which would be a mammoth task without a really high quality mobile app.

it is indeed a chicken and egg situation, but imo the team is doing the absolute best it can with what its got right now and isnt doing badly either imo.. how many other original code base coins were completely stable and functional after launch and had such good security features?

i made more proposals then a buy wall:

To do's to make ricing the NEM price:

1. Support the other exchanges(mostly btc38 and bittrex)! If NEM can increase the volume and interest there, NEM can atreact new buyers!

Thats why it is important to trade on this other exchanges too!!!

2. Request CNY/XEM market on btc38! There the volume CNY markets volune are much higher then BTC market volumes!

3. Create a strong investors group, able to buy dumpers stakes! I would to joun with 10-20 BTC too!

something we should discuss

Absolutely right. NEM is completely stable and functional.
But no one sees marketing or other Progresses. it was the proposal for a swarm Team, no one has supportet it... all this tells us there is no clear structure in NEM, so I'm as investor worry and try to help with suggestions, but nobody cares on it
DenisZabar

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 07:20:25 PM

After you have activated delegated harvesting, you need to go under settings and replace localhost with one public node address.

If you have additional questions, I recommend visiting/joining official forum: https://forum.ournem.com/

nodes for public adress are for start local harvesting or delegated??

punkrock

Activity: 808
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:26:33 PM

QUESTION

I booted the local node and when I clicked on "Start local harvesting" I got:"ERROR 699 - Maximum number of harvesters allowed on server has been reached." - after a minute the error is gone and I can start and stop harvesting without an error. Now I am asking myself, am I harvesting or not? And what's the matter with this error. My thought is, that I started harvesting to early after booting the local node. What's your opinion here?
Tompa

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:56:18 PM

If you want to turn off your computer and still continue to harvest, you need to enter the address of the node that will be online. For that purposes you enter a remote node address in the field where by default is localhost.
If you change that field you will have button Start delegated harvesting instead of Start local harvesting.

You can have enabled delegated harvesting (that option on top for which you had to send that transaction) and still harvest on your own local node.

So basically, once you've enabled delegated harvesting (you transferred your importance - hence the transaction) you can harvest on any available node even including your own.
For example you can set up your own private, dedicated Raspberry Pi node (NIS) in your home and harvest on that node while your main PC is offline.
That is also great because if you don't turn on your PC for a week, you will not need to wait for NIS to sync with the network - as soon as you turn on/start your wallet on PC the wallet will contact your Raspberry Pi where the synchronized NIS is constantly running and you'll be able to transfer/receive your XEM right away. Neat, right? That is the benefit of having wallet (NCC) separated from node (NIS).
Or you can use some node from that list and it'll work the same.

Have in mind that very likely there will be separate rewards for those who run and maintain nodes so having your own VPS node or Raspberry Pi is a way to go.
Tompa

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:08:25 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 08:31:15 PM by Tompa

QUESTION

I booted the local node and when I clicked on "Start local harvesting" I got:"ERROR 699 - Maximum number of harvesters allowed on server has been reached." - after a minute the error is gone and I can start and stop harvesting without an error. Now I am asking myself, am I harvesting or not? And what's the matter with this error. My thought is, that I started harvesting to early after booting the local node. What's your opinion here?

ANSWER  Grin

By default in your local NIS can be only one harvester. If you play with different accounts as well if you activate remote harvesting it may happen that you fill that one slot up.
Conversation on that topic and a solution is in the link below:

https://forum.ournem.com/newcomers-help/error-699/

or you can use some other NIS (delegated harvesting on some other, remote node) where that limit of 1 harvester has been already changed/removed.

Edit: If the NCC (wallet) gives you option to stop harvesting - that means you are harvesting...
DenisZabar

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 08:08:48 PM

If you want to turn off your computer and still continue to harvest, you need to enter the address of the node that will be online. For that purposes you enter a remote node address in the field where by default is localhost.
If you change that field you will have button Start delegated harvesting instead of Start local harvesting.

You can have enabled delegated harvesting (that option on top for which you had to send that transaction) and still harvest on your own local node.

So basically, once you've enabled delegated harvesting (you transferred your importance - hence the transaction) you can harvest on any available node even including your own.
For example you can set up your own private, dedicated Raspberry Pi node (NIS) in your home and harvest on that node while your main PC is offline.
That is also great because if you don't turn on your PC for a week, you will not need to wait for NIS to sync with the network - as soon as you turn on/start your wallet on PC the wallet will contact your Raspberry Pi where the synchronized NIS is constantly running and you'll be able to transfer/receive your XEM right away. Neat, right? That is the benefit of having wallet (NCC) separated from node (NIS).
Or you can use some node from that list and it'll work the same.

Have in mind that very likely there will be separate rewards for those who run and maintain nodes so having your own VPS node or Raspberry Pi is a way to go.

Thank you, now i understand  Cheesy

hedge

Activity: 233
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:21:19 PM

Youtube-Vids by kod tycoon

How to set up a server for remote harvesting (Node)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxFhJV-xMNw

Update (Node)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOpxWadW910

luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:21:37 PM

bots goin' crazy on Polo...  lol   Grin

am watching this non-sense with popcorn  Cheesy
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 09:11:09 PM

The buy wall volume is back at almost 50 BTC on Poloniex.
When I took a look the last time it was at around 20.
Something that let me hope!
punkrock

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 09:18:51 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 09:30:58 PM by punkrock

Is it better to harvest local oder is it better to harvest delegated? In other words: Do I harvest more when I harvest local or when I harvest delegated? Or is it the same?

And: Harvest delegated is more secure than harvest local?
Tompa

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 10:16:16 PM

Is it better to harvest local oder is it better to harvest delegated?
I'm definitely going with delegated harvesting.
Here is some comparison article I wrote about it.

http://support.ournem.com/knowledgebase.php?article=13

I hope I got everything right. If not - devs/more experienced NEMsters - please correct me.

Also this is first public appearance of NEM Knowledgebase, a small project several of us in the support team were working on.
Tompa

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:03:36 PM

The documentation and error messages must be improved.

After many hours lost trying to harvest, getting dozens of "Error 700" telling me that at least I mush have 1000 XEM, now I read this:

"For both types of harvesting the account must have at least 10 000 XEM vested."

Just adding this information in the message "Error 700" would have saved me many hours of trial and error.

Thank you for your input. You are correct. Much work is ahead of us.
The 1000/10 000 typo is know and it was repeated on several places on official forum in threads related to issues with harvesting.
I'm sorry you lost many hours trying but I'm glad this newest KDB (Knowledgebase) article helped you.

I'm planing on adding all the most "used" errorcodes into the KDB and their solutions. Hope that will help with troubleshooting a lot.

KDB has amazing search tool and all you have to do is type "error 699" into the search field and it offers you the corresponding article...

In the meantime, please visit the official forum and use search function there as well as the KDB.

Other potentially useful sources for troubleshooting:
http://support.ournem.com/knowledgebase.php?article=12
grewalsatinder

Activity: 186

Blockchain Technology Enthusiast, IT Pro

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:45:35 PM

Just wondering the price of NEM is low these days because:
1. Some sockpuppets and late Stake redeemers were allowed recently to have their Stakes redeemed.
2. Or such redemptions are yet pending? And the reason is something else??

nzminer
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 12:56:32 AM

OK, so i guess this explains why i have not harvested a single block since i activated delegated harvesting?

One other question, does the selected node address get stored in the blockchain? As im trying to work out how this all works once i turn off my computer? Does the node store this info?

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
punkrock

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 12:58:20 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2015, 01:36:27 AM by punkrock

Is it better to harvest local oder is it better to harvest delegated?
I'm definitely going with delegated harvesting.
Here is some comparison article I wrote about it.

I hope I got everything right. If not - devs/more experienced NEMsters - please correct me.

Also this is first public appearance of NEM Knowledgebase, a small project several of us in the support team were working on.

Thanks. I activated delegated harvesting because I want (everyone should want) to harvest 24/7. I think it's the better choice. Can someone tell what the "vested balance" is? Is it only a virtual number which defines the importance of my account?

P.S.: I will harvest blocks while using delegated harvesting, right? In case that I found a block while delegated harvesting and the block contains fee, will I get this fee automatically on my real account?

P.P.S.: On (http://blog.nem.io/how-local-and-delegated-harvesting-works/) there is nothing about replacing 'localhost' with a public node. I think this info should be added, including a link to the list of public nodes.
Pages: « 1 ... 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 [822] 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: