Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:11:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »
  Print  
Author Topic: XMR vs DRK  (Read 69688 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 03:16:37 AM

it's more like math hasn't got to the stage where it can describe complex systems, i.e. chaotic systems, e.g. weather, turbulence, market behaviour. ..

A picture is worth 1000 monkeys right?

http://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net/53695e6b69702d3910050000/low.webm

So i guess that by that you are saying that math is so developed it can even describe the formation of the whole universe because you watched a video of a computer model?.

And andytoshi said "I'm not sure what you mean by "math hasn't got to the stage where it can describe complex systems". I have a math degree and several published papers in mathematics and I can't for the life of me square this claim with actual work in the field. "

So neither of you are aware of some fundamental unsolved maths problems which appear quite mundane, like a complete model for how turbulence works: "In particular, solutions of the Navier–Stokes equations often include turbulence, which remains one of the greatest unsolved problems in physics, despite its immense importance in science and engineering."  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navier%E2%80%93Stokes_existence_and_smoothness
https://terrytao.wordpress.com/2007/03/18/why-global-regularity-for-navier-stokes-is-hard/

or until a few years ago we didn't even have a model for how sound waves actually work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_acoustics

both complex systems....math not work yet (ok non-linear acoustics was just found...)

And my point that it is more secure to remove information from a system than to keep it in the system encoded, which means you don't need cryptography for all parts of a cryptocurrency, was avoided.

ay, no offense but youre a dumbass. i just read your posts and all of them are wrong. your copy pasting stuff from wikipedia and have no clue about any of it.

post starts with 'you are stupid' - you must be an XMR investor?

i will try to make my point clearer, maybe i am not communicating well enough:

DRK anonymity - does not rely on cryptography, information required to deanonimize is not accessible after the anonimization (unless you control vast part of the MN network)

XMR anonymity - relies on cryptography, information required to deanonimize is accessible in the blockchain (encrypted) at any time after the anonimization

...then my understanding is people like andytoshi are saying 'you have to use cryptography' and xmr people are saying 'there has to be mathematical proof' to prove the anonymity system is secure - my references to complex systems were trying to explain this isn't true.  what has cryptography got to do with moving information out of a system (by making it more ambiguous)?  how is using a process like cryptography better in this case?  encrypting the info to deanonimize e.g. a darknet transaction and storing it on the blockchain in-perpetuity seems like a really dumb idea for anyone who cares about security. (and yes i am aware that drk's anonymity system uses cryptography for the underlying system)

this is supposed to be an 'XMR vs DRK' thread, I haven't seen this point yet, everyone who just calls me stupid instead of showing how the above is stupid *is stupid*? Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 03:22:06 AM

it's more like math hasn't got to the stage where it can describe complex systems, i.e. chaotic systems, e.g. weather, turbulence, market behaviour. ..

So i guess that by that you are saying that math is so developed it can even describe the formation of the whole universe because you watched a video of a computer model?.

And andytoshi said "I'm not sure what you mean by "math hasn't got to the stage where it can describe complex systems". I have a math degree and several published papers in mathematics and I can't for the life of me square this claim with actual work in the field. "

So neither of you are aware of some fundamental unsolved maths problems which appear quite mundane, like a complete model for how turbulence works: "In particular, solutions of the Navier–Stokes equations often include turbulence, which remains one of the greatest unsolved problems in physics, despite its immense importance in science and engineering."  

https://terrytao.wordpress.com/2007/03/18/why-global-regularity-for-navier-stokes-is-hard/

or until a few years ago we didn't even have a model for how sound waves actually work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_acoustics

both complex systems....math not work yet (ok non-linear acoustics was just found...)

And my point that it is more secure to remove information from a system than to keep it in the system encoded, which means you don't need cryptography for all parts of a cryptocurrency, was avoided.

ay, no offense but youre a dumbass. i just read your posts and all of them are wrong. your copy pasting stuff from wikipedia and have no clue about any of it.

DRK anonymity - does not rely on cryptography, information required to deanonimize is not accessible after the anonimization

XMR anonymity - relies on cryptography, information required to deanonimize is accessible in the blockchain (encrypted) at any time after the anonimization

...then my understanding is people like andytoshi are saying 'you have to use cryptography' and xmr people are saying 'there has to be mathematical proof' to prove the anonimity is secure - my references to complex systems were trying to explain this isn't true.  what has cryptography got to do with moving information out of a system (by making it more ambiguous)?  how is using a process like cryptography better in this case?  encrypting the info to deanonimize e.g. a darknet transaction and storing it on the blockchain in-perpetuity seems like a really dumb idea for anyone who cares about security.

this is supposed to be an 'XMR vs DRK' thread, I haven't seen this point yet, everyone who just calls me stupid instead of showing how the above is stupid *is stupid* Cheesy

You can't deanonymize anything on the Monero blockchain without the private key or view key of a transaction or wallet! That's all you can see, is what a key reveals, nothing more. You can't identify backwards who sent moneroj to that address. You can deanonymize DRK by MITM attacking the masternodes, a trivial task for law enforcement when such a large amount of Masternodes are on third party providers e.g. Amazon AWS.
Vispicious

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 03:22:46 AM

DRK anonymity - does not rely on cryptography, information required to deanonimize is not accessible after the anonimization

...then my understanding is people like andytoshi are saying 'you have to use cryptography' and xmr people are saying 'there has to be mathematical proof' to prove the anonimity is secure - my references to complex systems were trying to explain this isn't true.  what has cryptography got to do with moving information out of a system (by making it more ambiguous)?  how is using a process like cryptography better in this case?  encrypting the info to deanonimize e.g. a darknet transaction and storing it on the blockchain in-perpetuity seems like a really dumb idea for anyone who cares about security. (and yes i am aware that drk's anonymity system uses cryptography for the underlying system)

this is supposed to be an 'XMR vs DRK' thread, I haven't seen this point yet, everyone who just calls me stupid instead of showing how the above is stupid *is stupid* Cheesy

i sadly bought into darkcoin dash, this was before i found out about its instamine, and im hoping to sell if it pumps again to get out of this dog shit.

lets get a few things straight. cryptography that monero uses is like the blockchain itself, so breaking into it is near impossible, just as breaking into bitcoins blockchain is near impossible. darkcoin dash uses a much dumber approach to anonymity, all darkcoin dash does is mix the components of the coin. incase you didnt know, mixing can always be reversed, it might take a bit of time to do but you can always reverse a transaction that has been mixed.  i feel literal pain reading the dogshit that you type, need to get an aspirin.
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 03:29:01 AM

DoRK anonymisery works by:

wishing really really hard and trusting in this one awesome guy named Evan.
He wud never mislead his sheepz!
And when he doos, it wuz only a wittle mistakey-poo!
BlockaFett

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 03:29:06 AM

...then my understanding is people like andytoshi are saying 'you have to use cryptography' and xmr people are saying 'there has to be mathematical proof' to prove the anonimity is secure - my references to complex systems were trying to explain this isn't true.  what has cryptography got to do with moving information out of a system (by making it more ambiguous)?  how is using a process like cryptography better in this case?  encrypting the info to deanonimize e.g. a darknet transaction and storing it on the blockchain in-perpetuity seems like a really dumb idea for anyone who cares about security.

You can't deanonymize anything on the Monero blockchain without the private key or view key of a transaction or wallet! That's all you can see, is what a key reveals. You can deanonymize DRK by MITM attacking the masternodes, a trivial task for law enforcement when such a large amount of Masternodes are on third party providers e.g. Amazon AWS.

ok so you are accepting my premise of the differences. you just have a different opinion on the comparative security.  Your opinion is that MN network is easy to compromise and because you need the private key in XMR it is bullet proof forever.  And my opinion is that it is actually extremely difficult to gain control of the MN network to deanonimize transactions (94.00% control for a 0.708% chance of deanonimizing a transaction) and that secondly if there is any vulnerability found in the XMR ring signature implementation at any time in the future, you can go back and deanonimize *everything* (for example if a Heartbleed style vulnerability was found in XMR's ring sig implementation, instead of just patching it and moving forward, the whole currency goes bang).

so maybe exchanging opinions like this, instead of calling people 'charlatans' and 'stupid', might help investors... (who are coming here to learn the difference between XMR and DRK)

BlockaFett

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 03:47:31 AM

...then my understanding is people like andytoshi are saying 'you have to use cryptography' and xmr people are saying 'there has to be mathematical proof' to prove the anonimity is secure - my references to complex systems were trying to explain this isn't true.  what has cryptography got to do with moving information out of a system (by making it more ambiguous)?  how is using a process like cryptography better in this case?  encrypting the info to deanonimize e.g. a darknet transaction and storing it on the blockchain in-perpetuity seems like a really dumb idea for anyone who cares about security. (and yes i am aware that drk's anonymity system uses cryptography for the underlying system)

i sadly bought into darkcoin dash, this was before i found out about its instamine, and im hoping to sell if it pumps again to get out of this dog shit.

lets get a few things straight. cryptography that monero uses is like the blockchain itself, so breaking into it is near impossible, just as breaking into bitcoins blockchain is near impossible. darkcoin dash uses a much dumber approach to anonymity, all darkcoin dash does is mix the components of the coin. incase you didnt know, mixing can always be reversed, it might take a bit of time to do but you can always reverse a transaction that has been mixed.  i feel literal pain reading the dogshit that you type, need to get an aspirin.

' i feel literal pain reading the dogshit that you type' - you must be a monero investor ®

'cryptography that monero uses is like the blockchain itself, so breaking into it is near impossible, just as breaking into bitcoins blockchain is near impossible. '

that's not correct, cryptonote uses it's own system for the cryptography as i understand it.

and that system is the gatekeeper that prevents people in the future from deanonimizing your XMR transactions (assuming someone doesn't steal/extort/confiscate your viewkey or the PC that it lives on)

and people have speculated that Cryptonote has vulnerabilities in it (nothing to do with Bitcion's code which has been vetted 1000s of times and proved in the market)

one example is Berstein said elliptic curve's signature generation algorithm should use a deterministic random to eliminate dependency on random generation derived from external events.

Cryptonote added nondeterministic randoms through the random_scalar function...so that's an implanted vulneability.

I haven't read the code so IDK, but when I raise the response is not 'here is the code and it's not true' or 'yes we fixed that already', it's 'get your tinfoil hats on'

and you right i type dogshit?  how can you sit there and type that to someone trying to discuss the topic on the thread you are in (and setup buy the coin you suport) lol?

EDIT: i'm done here, in all the 13 months of all the alts, xmr is *the* shittiest community around. i wouldn't invest if it was the last currency on earth. lol
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 03:49:59 AM

Despite how difficult it may or may not be it is still at least an order of magnitude riskier to have to trust a third party!
qvan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 04:04:01 AM

the market decides, XMR won this thread

Vispicious

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 04:07:59 AM

lets get a few things straight. cryptography that monero uses is like the blockchain itself, so breaking into it is near impossible, just as breaking into bitcoins blockchain is near impossible. darkcoin dash uses a much dumber approach to anonymity, all darkcoin dash does is mix the components of the coin. incase you didnt know, mixing can always be reversed, it might take a bit of time to do but you can always reverse a transaction that has been mixed.  i feel literal pain reading the dogshit that you type, need to get an aspirin.

' i feel literal pain reading the dogshit that you type' - you must be a monero investor ®

'cryptography that monero uses is like the blockchain itself, so breaking into it is near impossible, just as breaking into bitcoins blockchain is near impossible. '

that's not correct, cryptonote uses it's own system for the cryptography as i understand it.

and that system is the gatekeeper that prevents people in the future from deanonimizing your XMR transactions (assuming someone doesn't steal/extort/confiscate your viewkey or the PC that it lives on)

and people have speculated that Cryptonote has vulnerabilities in it (nothing to do with Bitcion's code which has been vetted 1000s of times and proved in the market)

one example is Berstein said elliptic curve's signature generation algorithm should use a deterministic random to eliminate dependency on random generation derived from external events.

Cryptonote added nondeterministic randoms through the random_scalar function...so that's an implanted vulneability.

I haven't read the code so IDK, but when I raise the response is not 'here is the code and it's not true' or 'yes we fixed that already', it's 'get your tinfoil hats on'

and you right i type dogshit?  how can you sit there and type that to someone trying to discuss the topic on the thread you are in (and setup buy the coin you suport) lol?

EDIT: i'm done here, in all the 13 months of all the alts, xmr is *the* shittiest community around. i wouldn't invest if it was the last currency on earth. lol

thats exactly what i said about darkcoin dash. i bought in at .024 and didnt know it had a instamine, now im out of luck and fucked. darkcoin dash is hiding its instamine from people, that scam doodooshit community. i dont know much about about cryptocurrencies generally but i know how to code. I found out about monero a few days ago and monero does has a way better anonymity than darkcoin dash since mixing can always be unraveled. moneros anonymity uses ring signatures and thats been around before bitcoin even existed, so its impossible to break.

Hey, I'm a cryptocurrency "investor" if you call it that. I was looking for coins to buy in. I already chose Monero and Bitcoindark, then I came across DASH and thought why not. Then I searched more and found out DASH HAD A INSTAMINE??? WTF! Does anyone have more info? I came across 6 threads talking about the instamine, how bad was it? I dont want biased replies from DASH bagholders either.

Is it true? Was 2million fucking DASH coins, 50% of the damn supply mined in the first 48 hours??!! I want fucking answers, finding this out was like getting punched in the gut. If this coin got instamined at its release, fuck this shit!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 04:13:38 AM

its impossible to break

no way man. the science of cryptography is a never ending battle of attrition. the ring signatures that monero uses will be broken some day. count on it. that doesnt mean we cant have a hell of a party while they hold and make some great use out of them before they are broken Grin

*edit* with the exception of one time pads. those are a priori secure forever.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Vispicious

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 04:15:39 AM

its impossible to break

no way man. the science of cryptography is a never ending battle of attrition. the ring signatures that monero uses will be broken some day. count on it. that doesnt mean we cant have a hell of a party while they hold and make some great use out of them before they are broken Grin

*edit* with the exception of one time pads. those are a priori secure forever.

the only thing that can break ring signatures is quantum computers, those can also break into blockchains like bitcoins so everything is gonna be fucked 20, 30 years from now until its made quantum computer resistant or something
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 04:20:08 AM

So this topic has been going for how long? Does that mean that nobody knows which is better?

It seems DASH is winning the market cap war. Does XMR or DASH have any large support in dark web bazaars?

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 05:21:25 AM

So this topic has been going for how long? Does that mean that nobody knows which is better?

It seems DASH is winning the market cap war. Does XMR or DASH have any large support in dark web bazaars?

Which is better, Pepsi or Coca-Cola? Depends on one's opinion.

Neither has much support in that area you mentioned, YET, that I know of. I could certainly be wrong, though.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 05:25:25 AM

that would be after BTC tho, since the crypto algos behind XMR are "safer", quite literally at the elliptic curve (doesnt mean BTC isn't), btw I dont expect BTC to be broken any time soon (aka I doubt it will happen before quantum PCs are the norm).

also,

Probably it will be a while i agree. As an analogy, even if hammers are useless 100 years from now does that mean that everyone everywhere should stop manufacturing and using hammers right now? I think not. They are pretty damn useful right now, and will continue to be for some time so we should definitely get as much use out of them as we can so long as they are useful.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
majamina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:50:24 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2015, 08:17:05 AM by majamina

1) Dash's code causes inevitable centralization and is not as fungible as Ring Signatures, it's as simple as that

ok let's summarise the convo:

critic: DASH isn't fungible, the coins will all end up tainted.
me: hang on, that's not true because of the mixing process?
you: DASH's code causes inevitable centralization and is not as fungible as ring signatures.

See the disconnect there? your answer is just a spurious technical claim and then 'my dad's bigger than your dad'

Johnny M actually gave a decent answer to this question last night, I'll respond to him once I've given it some more thought.

2) It's likely that you're trying to use Reverse Psychology(Aka trolling) by acting "nice"(Pretty easy to see through when one actually reads your posts thoroughly), because others have constantly corrected you on what you've said, yet on every new page you bring up the same incorrect statements/questions in an attempt to manipulate/push Dash to the forefront.

I'm just trying to be reasonable - there's no point having a mud-slinging match with you guys, you're too well rehearsed with the mud-slinging Cheesy I figured I'd approach the discussion more as I might IRL.

3) Dash's entire architecture has been "decimated"/torn to pieces code wise, it's external masternode system brings in centralization and other attack vectors since they are hosted on centralized servers online and unwisely provide it's most important features through those external masternodes(Also, Bitcoin already does this, no point in even using Dash)

So you say, but show me a code review with any detail. You keep going on about centralization without any solid technical arguments. You don't really know how Darksend or Masternodes work - none of the critics on here seem to, but will say they're broken anyway  Roll Eyes

4) Again, you do the same, you're extremely hypocritical. Please reread this thread or even have a friend do it for you, maybe then you'd see just how many times you've been corrected.

OK, well if you can pick a technial point that I've not followed up on then I'll gladly look at it, but I don't think that's the case. Where a reasonable point has been made against anything I've said I've accepted it. There's also been a lot of hot air, some of which I've ignored, unsurprisingly.

5) The entire Dash/Darkcoin cryptocurrecy project has been recently deemed a centralized joke by it's former developer vertoe, that speaks volumes
6) Dash/Darkcoin had a dishonest/scam instamine that makes Auroracoin's premine look like the holy grail.

Vertoe essentially makes one point - Evan is key man for DRK and that makes it centralised. Hold the front page!

INSTAMINE! INSTAMINE! INSTAMINE! Cheesy I look forward to you marching the streets with your INSTAMINE placard and DASH foundation effigies.

BrianM

Activity: 546
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:54:04 AM

If I had to chose then would I say XMR.
I think DRK is a pump'n'dump like any other altcoin, I just don't see what i brings.
Also for wide adaptation, I cannot picture my mom or dad going down to the store and say
"oh dear, how many "Darkcoin" does the milk cost" - the name sucks adaption wise.
Same as with those "blackcoin" or "whitecoin", will never be adapted because of the name.
Macno
Legendary

Activity: 984
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 07:57:06 AM

I think DRK is a pump'n'dump like any other altcoin, I just don't see what i brings.
Also for wide adaptation, I cannot picture my mom or dad going down to the store and say
"oh dear, how many "Darkcoin" does the milk cost" - the name sucks adaption wise.
Same as with those "blackcoin" or "whitecoin", will never be adapted because of the name.

Just in time for your mom and dad:

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113781/darkcoin-is-now-dash-and-not-a-moment-too-soon
qvan

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 08:10:03 AM

Just in time for your mom and dad:

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113781/darkcoin-is-now-dash-and-not-a-moment-too-soon

scammy pump and dump altcoin..mom and dad coins will lose value  Grin
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 08:17:24 AM

Will mom and dad receive threats from foundation members?

qvan

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 08:19:38 AM

---summary of the whole thread---

majamina: darkcoin/DASH is good enough

me: no. i want better, i want XMR

---THE END---
Pages: « 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »
  Print  

Jump to: