Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:08:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »
  Print  
Author Topic: XMR vs DRK  (Read 69688 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Lukas_Jackson

Activity: 615
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:10:30 PM

DASH has anonymity ADDED as a FEATURE.

XMR has anonymity BUILT-IN TO THE PROTOCOL as a FUNCTION.

So next time, if anyone asks which coin is more "anonymous", I think you guys have an answer right here.
There are cases where anonymity can't or won't be used. Think about it.

No one stops you from promoting xmr on darkmarkets or wherever. Go ahead

It is easier to be an aggressive victim than to be a free man.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:12:04 PM

If the server the masternode was hosted on was compromised and the 1k in the hot wallet, then there'd be no moving the node.

Yes there would. You'd just send the coins somewhere else, then start again.

Or are you talking about a masternode owner has no backup of his wallet or private keys? Cheesy

It's like a hacker getting someone's bitcoin wallet and saying that the original owner of the bitcoin wallet has a chance of getting his coins back.

Even if he has a backup, if the server with the node with 1k in the hot wallet's being hosted on is compromised, then theres practically no chance of them just sending the coins somewhere else(The attacker would send it to their wallet).

I dont know the % of users that have their coins in cold or hot wallets, so this is all speculation on both sides though.

So now you're assuming that the hacker has brute-forced the wallet encryption key on the rare masternode he was lucky to find with a hot wallet?

interesting assumptions there dude.

I find it odd that you make assumptions of things like all masternode users using cold wallets instead of hot wallets, and that all masternode owners encrypt their wallets. My acquaintances that even use Bitcoin, do not encrypt or set a password for their wallets.

If you're going to say things that are optional and misrepresent them as fact, then there's no point responding to you.

It is optional to set a password for your masternode hot wallet

It is optional to place your 1k coins in a cold wallet

So what you've been saying has no backing.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
majamina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:13:52 PM

I find it odd that you make assumptions of things like all masternode users using cold wallets instead of hot wallets, and that all masternode owners encrypt their wallets. My acquaintances that even use Bitcoin, do not encrypt or set a password for their wallets.

If you're going to say things that are optional and misrepresent them as fact, then there's no point responding to you.

Dude are you absolutely fucking serious?

You think someone is going to learn how to set up a masternode, put 1,000 DASH in a hot wallet on it and leave it unencrypted with no backups?

Joshuar

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:14:57 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2015, 11:33:51 PM by Joshuar

Dude are you absolutely fucking serious?

You think someone is going to learn how to set up a masternode, put 1,000 DASH in a hot wallet on it and leave it unencrypted with no backups?

So you told me that I was making assumptions(When I was stating facts, reread), when you've been making the assumptions that all masternode owners set a password and put their coins in a cold wallet?

Are you trying to troll now? What don't you understand that those things that you intentionally misrepresent as mandatory, are Optional.

P.S. setting up a masternode isn't hard at all, it's literally just a PoS wallet.

If the server the masternode was hosted on was compromised and the 1k in the hot wallet, then there'd be no moving the node.

Yes there would. You'd just send the coins somewhere else, then start again.

Or are you talking about a masternode owner has no backup of his wallet or private keys? Cheesy

It's like a hacker getting someone's bitcoin wallet and saying that the original owner of the bitcoin wallet has a chance of getting his coins back.

Even if he has a backup, if the server with the node with 1k in the hot wallet's being hosted on is compromised, then theres practically no chance of them just sending the coins somewhere else(The attacker would send it to their wallet).

I dont know the % of users that have their coins in cold or hot wallets, so this is all speculation on both sides though.

So now you're assuming that the hacker has brute-forced the wallet encryption key on the rare masternode he was lucky to find with a hot wallet?

interesting assumptions there dude.

It is optional to set a password for your masternode hot wallet

It is optional to place your 1k coins in a cold wallet

So what you've been saying has no backing.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
majamina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:16:54 PM

So you told me that I was making assumptions(When I was stating facts, reread), now you're making the assumption that all masternode owners set a password and put their coins in a cold wallet?

Are you trying to troll now? What don't you understand when those things that you intentionally misrepresent as mandatory, are Optional.

Shocked

OK we'll leave it there my friend.

And so to bed. Night all.
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:28:51 PM

So you told me that I was making assumptions(When I was stating facts, reread), when you've been making the assumptions that all masternode owners set a password and put their coins in a cold wallet?

Are you trying to troll now? What don't you understand that those things that you intentionally misrepresent as mandatory, are Optional.

P.S. setting up a masternode isn't hard at all, it's literally just a wallet.

This is going behind logic.
Setting up a MN requires some basic understanding of linux/commands lines/vps/ssh/whatever and also, time. Retarded Joe cannot just setup a MN.
Even If you blind-follow , having no idea what you are doing, any tutorial present on the internets on setting up a MN it will make you take some security measure.
Anyway this is a reason why there is a collateral of 1000DRK, it makes you take care of your security otherwise you lose 5000$ at the actual rate.

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
Joshuar

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:32:54 PM

Setting up a MN requires some basic understanding of linux/commands lines/vps/ssh/whatever and also, time.
Even If you blind-follow , having no idea what you are doing, any tutorial present on the internets on setting up a MN it will make you take some security measure.
Anyway this is a reason why there is a collateral of 1000DRK, it makes you take care of your security otherwise you lose 5000$ at the actual rate.

Masternodes are just wallets. They aren't hard to setup, I've temporarily set up one before back in June. All you have to do is just follow the instructions, there's easy instructions if you just google it. You can't say things as optional and present it as fact, which is what they were doing.

You can have your 1k dsh on a cold or hot wallet, you can have no password or you can have a password. None of those things are mandatory, they are either/or, optional.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:38:24 PM

Setting up a MN requires some basic understanding of linux/commands lines/vps/ssh/whatever and also, time.

Masternodes are just wallets. They aren't hard to setup, I've temporarily set up one before back in June. All you have to do is just follow the instructions, there's easy instructions if you just google it. You can't say things as optional and present it as fact, which is what they were doing.

You can have your 1k dsh on a cold or hot wallet, you can have no password or you can have a password. None of those things are mandatory, they are either/or, optional.

Since you are trolling now I am trolling back by selfquoting myself.
Even If you blind-follow , having no idea what you are doing, any tutorial present on the internets on setting up a MNwill make you take some security measure.

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
Joshuar

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:45:23 PM

Since you are trolling now I am trolling back by selfquoting myself.
Even If you blind-follow , having no idea what you are doing, any tutorial present on the internets on setting up a MNwill make you take some security measure.

Wow, absolutely wow. I expected too much from you guys. What are you talking about? Obviously I know the requirements to set up a masternode, what does that have to do with this discussion, seriously? The below quote is what your friend knowingly lied about. Then Magamina agreed with him. They both purposely presented it as if the 1k Dash required would be hosted on cold wallets only, and they also purposely presented it as if all masternode owners set up passphrases for their wallet. I don't care about "It's better to set a passphrase etc etc", the point is that they misrepresented things as being one way, when it is optional. What exactly do you not understand? For all we know most masternode owners could be hosting their coins on the hot wallets without a passphrase...

It's like I'm speaking to 5 year olds...

If the coins are held on the masternode and not a cold wallet, that masternode isnt reappearing anywhere. The gov can just take control of the servers the masternodes are hosted on.

Coins are stored in cold wallets.  Nothing on the servers to take.

Dont lie please. Cold wallet storage is optional, most masternodes probably still have the 1k dark in the hot wallets.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 12:30:59 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2015, 12:49:29 AM by David Latapie

Well, people like me appreciate the analysis. True, you may not influence people who are heavily financially invested in DRK, but people who are legitimately interested in evaluating the technology will probably pay attention.
Idea: compiling all the useful analysis in one (very) self-moderated thread, clearly targeted at being a reference, not a discussion. Or even a closed discussion, or an independant document, like a Latex file (perfect for maths). Copy paste may trump the bullshit assymetry principle (well, not for writing but for referencing it later on, especially if several version of the documents are published).

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 12:43:58 AM

pure XMR marketing / troll thread.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:07:22 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2015, 11:19:54 AM by toknormal

So next time, if anyone asks which coin is more "anonymous", I think you guys have an answer right here.

Thats why I didn't invest in XMR. Because it's run by a couple of trainspotters who don't understand money.

If you're communicating nuclear secrets then you want your message encrypted for sure.

On the other hand if your exchanging money then you want your transaction as *transparent as possible* while using a monetary medium that's as *fungible* as possible.

Historically, gold worked as money, not because it was easy to hide transactions, but rather because it was ultimately fungible due to its low melting point. That meant that for the most part gold coins represented the currency of the day but had an additional insurance policy that they could be melted down to create a new monetary medium when required that retained none of its historical baggage. (Because governments just stole all the gold cons, melted them down and made new ones. What made gold "money" wasn't the fact that it could be hidden, it was the fact it could be ultimately melted down and used for a new purpose).

Darkcoin / Dash's evolution has been characterised by monetary priorities - not cryptographical ones - which is why it is starting to emerge as a "useable" monetary medium rather than an interesting lab experiment. Dash is an electronic monetary medium which inherits gold's exact properties of "optional fungibility". In addition, it has 2 enhancements over gold:

[1] - 'the physical" can travel through wires

[2] - you don't need a 'smithy'. You can "melt" it yourself right in your wallet by passing it through up to 16 rounds of optional, pre-emptive darksend (or you can keep it in coins !)

To have implemented - on an electronic platform - a form of money that inherits the "Satoshi" principles in every respect while adding the insurance of "meltdown and recreate" IMO is pretty amazing.

BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:11:59 AM

^ +1
Joshuar

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:17:14 AM

snip-

Dash is not, and can never be a currency. This is why I left Dash for Monero. Dash's masternodes take liquidity out of the equation, which is essential for a currency. Dash's dishonest instamine takes credibility out of the equation, which is essential for a currency(And everything really). There's simply no hope for Dash to succeed outside this forum/altcoin section. Besides it's masternodes themselves being a flawed concept, the atrocious instamine that happened ensures nothing worthwhile will ever come to Dash.

Having the anonymity outside of the protocol itself like Dash does, is just a plain dumb implementation. It's better to use Bitcoin for that then, since CoinShuffle is making decentralized coinjoin, further making Dash's feature irrelevant.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 01:18:01 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2015, 01:30:59 AM by vokain

Thats why I didn't invest in XMR. Because it's run by a couple of trainspotters who don't understand money.

If you're communicating nuclear secrets then you want your message encrypted for sure.

On the other hand if your exchanging money then you want your transaction as *transparent as possible* while using a monetary medium that's as *fungible* as possible.

Historically, gold worked as money, not because it was easy to hide transactions, but rather because it was ultimately fungible due to its low melting point. That meant that for the most part gold coins represented the currency of the day but had an additional insurance policy that they could be melted down to create a new monetary medium when required that retained none of its historical baggage. (Because governments just stole all the gold cons, melted them down and made new ones. What made gold "money" wasn't the fact that it could be hidden, it was the fact it could be ultimately melted down and used for a new purpose).

Darkcoin / Dash's evolution has been characterised by monetary priorities - not cryptographical ones - which is why it is starting to emerge as a "useable" monetary medium rather than an interesting lab experiment. Dash is an electronic monetary medium which inherits gold's exact properties of "optional fungibility". In addition, it has 2 enhancements over gold:

[1] - 'the physical" can travel through wires

[2] - you don't need a 'smithy'. You can "melt" it yourself right in your wallet by passing it through up to 16 rounds of optional, pre-emptive darksend (or you can keep it in coins !)

To have implemented - on an electronic platform - a form of money that inherits the "Satoshi" principles in every respect while adding the insurance of "meltdown and recreate" IMO is pretty amazing.

I've spend two years on these forums and a lot more learning how science works. These are my conclusions (which are no different from what most people have drawn):

[1] - smooth & fluffypony: A couple of trainspotting charlatans who can't decide if they want to sell furniture for mining rigs, marketing hype for Vertcoin or recycled cryptonote fodder

[2] - Evan Duffield: A person who will go down in history as having changed the world of finance.

Monero has view keys to allow transparency. The fungibility is an inherent feature of not being able to differentiate one Monero from another (without first voluntarily sharing a view key), fungibility of which that is dependent upon a protocol level proven anonymization process.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:23:34 AM

You can't have fungibility and transparency at the same time. Sorry. All units have to be cryptographically indistinguishable, and having a large amount of transparency in the ledger only serves to reduce the anonymity set (and reduce the fungibility as a result).

Monero is currently the most fungible crypto in existence. Maybe some day if zerocash works out it's kinks it will take monero's place. Darkcoin isn't a contender in that regard (though it's privacy tech can be debated).
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:33:55 AM

Dash's masternodes take liquidity out of the equation

Joshuar - you seem very passionate but you do not understand "liquidity".

Currently, Dash is the third most liquid currency in all of crypto after BTC and LTC.
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:37:39 AM

Monero has view keys to allow transparency.

Thats the problem - not the solution.
Joshuar

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:39:34 AM

Dash's masternodes take liquidity out of the equation

Joshuar - you seem very passionate but you do not understand "liquidity".

Currently, Dash is the third most liquid currency in all of crypto after BTC and LTC.

It just experienced a pump. Monero's was higher than Dash's before that.

Liquidity isn't just marketcap, # of coins available also play an important part(The most important part).

Right now there are more coins tied up in masternodes than there are on the orderbooks, or in people's regular wallets. In the scenario that two currencies had the same coin supply and price, but one had more than half it's coins out of the orderbooks, and the other one didn't, then the latter would be the most liquid coin.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Joshuar

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:40:17 AM

Monero has view keys to allow transparency.

Thats the problem - not the solution.

Care to give your reasoning? No problems arise from Viewkeys, they provide a harmony of sorts between having anonymity and allowing transparency to those you wish.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »
  Print  

Jump to: