Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:43:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »
  Print  
Author Topic: XMR vs DRK  (Read 69688 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
othe

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 03:45:41 PM

G2M is correct. If you're able to do two-way mapping of hash functions, then everybody is collectively screwed independent of XMR v. DRK or on-chain v. off-chain.

OK gotcha.

I wonder why people go on about the off-chain benefits....doesn't sound like any benefit at all in this case.

I think bitcoindark with their still not useable "Teleport" crap have invented that non-sense.

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 03:52:40 PM

G2M is correct. If you're able to do two-way mapping of hash functions, then everybody is collectively screwed independent of XMR v. DRK or on-chain v. off-chain.

To be fair here, I'm pretty sure that information came directly from you, fluffy, and othe across a few different posts in the first place.

After doing reading, it made a lot of sense.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:08:41 PM

heck people aren't even forced to use darksend

Well I see that as the advantage actually. Nobody was "forced" to melt down their gold everytime they performed a transaction, but it was the fact that they optionally could that made it master of money.

Only with encryption you can defeat the fungibility issue

Why ? At what level is the fungibility issue "defeated" in your opinion ? When its no longer useable ? When the entire basis of crypto that makes it accountable, popular and accessible has disappeared ? Cryptography has never been a significant part of cryptocurrency - even though it may share the first few letters. It works on a system of digital signatures. An approach to enhancing fungibility that's consistent with that paradigm is therefore going have obvious merit. By burying the whole system in cryptography your creating something that bitcoin isn't - an encrypted messaging system - a new paradigm whose practical differences in terms of day to day use are far greater than improvements in fungibility it purports to solve. If you really believe in it you should argue it on that basis rather than trying to eek out an n'th degree anonymity advantage on a 'nothing else matters' basis.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 04:13:43 PM

Well I see that as the advantage actually. Nobody was "forced" to melt down their gold everytime they performed a transaction, but it was the fact that they optionally could that made it master of money.

Why ? At what level is the fungibility issue "defeated" in your opinion ? When its no longer useable ? When the entire basis of crypto that makes it accountable, popular and accessible has disappeared ? Cryptography has never been a significant part of cryptocurrency - even though it may share the first few letters. It works on a system of digital signatures. An approach to enhancing fungibility that's consistent with that paradigm is therefore going have obvious merit. By burying the whole system in cryptography your creating something that bitcoin isn't - an encrypted messaging system - a new paradigm whose practical differences in terms of day to day use are far greater than improvements in fungibility it purports to solve. If you really believe in it you should argue it on that basis rather than trying to eek out an n'th degree anonymity advantage on a 'nothing else matters' basis.

I just wanted to quote this in case you deleted it Smiley

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:14:36 PM

What a gem.

I'd like to know what the crypto in cryptocurrency stands for?

Toknormal, if you please.

toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:42:22 PM

Toknormal, if you please.

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zgkmQ-jQJHk#t=302
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:45:54 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_bitcoin_works

- There are several cryptographic technologies that make up the essence of Bitcoin.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
majamina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:48:59 PM

- Of course it is; Only with encryption you can defeat the fungibility issue, DRK doesn't make it more fungible, you mix dirty coins with other dirty coins the same as a BTC mixer or darkwallet, after a while most coins will be tainted and you have the same problems as BTC or even worse.

That's a very interesting statement.

There are no dirty coins, right? Just inputs and outputs on dirty addresses? The fungibility in DRK comes from the mixing process, e.g.

- DirtyWallet has unspent inputs on address A.
- Inputs are spent via mixing with darksend rounds.
- Now DirtyWallet has unspent inputs on change addresses B,C,D.
- These are then spent via outputs to CleanWallet.

Due to the mixing process and the impossibility of re-assembling a complete transaction chain, there is no provable association in the blockchain between DirtyWallet's original inputs and the new unspent inputs in CleanWallet.

Funged?
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:49:16 PM

So crypto stands for what?

othe

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:01:57 PM

Cryptography has never been a significant part of cryptocurrency - even though it may share the first few letters

Hahahaha fuck my life dude, nearly spit beer over my keyboard.

toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:02:20 PM

Here's another myth he scotches that people on this thread like to pound away on - the idea that architectural 'centralisation' equates to political centralisation. That distinction is never made by those who bang on about masternodes being 'centralised' (which they are not in the least).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zgkmQ-jQJHk#t=238

I really wish some of the arguments made against Dash in this thread were more convincing because for anyone rotating out of Dash into a Cryptonote, they'd be able to acquire at least 5 times the relative money supply holding than what they currently have. It isn't as if there's not an incentive.

I suppose it's a glass half full / half empty argument in the end.

It's not a question of masternodes vs no masternodes - most cryptos run some kind of 'full node' that's essential to the running of a healthy network. It's about a dual mode, service oriented technology that consistently delivers solutions to difficult problems where a mono-mode network needs a sledghammer to crack a nut.

othe

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:08:38 PM

I suppose it's a glass half full / half empty argument in the end.

Its more a brain half full / half empty issue.

G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:16:13 PM

Argument: "It's not even cryptographically secure"

Counter-argument: "We don't even need cryptography!"

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 05:26:28 PM

This is how greed corrupts one's head into a mush of self-confirming biases based on pseudo-sense. What's sad is that it probably makes perfect sense in his head and he thinks everyone else is crazy.

I'll just ask (mostly for entertainment and not seeking a reality based solution): how does one create a fungible cryptocurrency without cryptography?

BlockaFett

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:32:13 PM

This is how greed corrupts one's head into a mush of self-confirming biases based on pseudo-sense. What's sad is that it probably makes perfect sense in his head and he thinks everyone else is crazy.

I'll just ask (mostly for entertainment and not seeking a reality based solution): how does one create a fungible cryptocurrency without cryptography?

it's a common myth in XMR circles that crytpographic proof means the system is secure or am i wrong?

(before you start with the insults / hubris to hide your intellectual inferiority complex, this is a trick question)
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:36:14 PM

Money has never needed 'cryptography' or any kind of meta-layer obfuscating technology to implement a fundamental monetary property (such as fungibility). Any monetary medium that works will have self-generating fungibility - like the cash drawer or gold's low melting point.

If I melt down 10 gold coins to make a gold bar and then use that in a transaction, I'm not "hiding" the fact that I'm making the transaction. The fungibility does not come from any form of encryption, but rather from the fact that gold coins could be combined from 10 distinct "inputs" into one indistinct "output".

It's an inherent part of cryptocurrencies that that is possible - which is why they make an almost perfect monetary medium. Darkcoin / Dash levers that property without changing the fundamental characteristics of the blockchain. I'm not saying that a cryptographic approach like cryptonote isn't interesting or potentially useful in many cases, but I'm saying it's not necessarily the optimal solution to bitcoin's fungibility problem from a monetary point of view.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 05:41:51 PM

it's a common myth in XMR circles that crytpographic proof means the system is secure or am i wrong?

(before you start with the insults / hubris to hide your intellectual inferiority complex, this is a trick question)

Do you need cryptography to make a digital currency fungible to the degree that coins are fungible? Fungible to the point that one is as good as another and cannot be discriminated against in a transaction?

BlockaFett

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:44:54 PM

Do you need cryptography to make a digital currency fungible to the degree that coins are fungible? Fungible to the point that one is as good as another and cannot be discriminated against in a transaction?

impossible to answer.  there may be digital currencies in the future that don't use cryptographiy.  so how to answer, is that a trick question?

what about my question? Smiley
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 05:47:02 PM

Again, you don't need to answer for the future, just the present: Do you need cryptography to make a digital currency fungible to the degree that coins are fungible? Fungible to the point that one is as good as another and cannot be discriminated against in a transaction?

*your question doesn't pertain to what I am or was talking about--and you know it.

BlockaFett

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:50:25 PM

impossible to answer.  there may be digital currencies in the future that don't use cryptographiy.  so how to answer, is that a trick question?

what about my question? Smiley

Again, you don't need to answer for the future, just the present: Do you need cryptography to make a digital currency fungible to the degree that coins are fungible? Fungible to the point that one is as good as another and cannot be discriminated against in a transaction?

*your question doesn't pertain to what I am or was talking about--and you know it.

ok, so my answer would be that if we accept the hypothesis that all digital currencies require cryptography (which I don't), then by definition all cryptocurrencies will require cryptography to function. So asking if any feature within a cryptographic digital currency requires cryptography is nonsensical because the currency itself requires cryptography already.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 »
  Print  

Jump to: