Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:12:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet  (Read 965822 times)
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 04:24:41 AM

Updating firmware is not a concern. Your 24 word seed is your bitcoin; you can step on your Trezor or Ledger and destroy it, and restore your seed to a new one in 10 minutes. Back in business. You should be eager to update; firmware needs to be updated to incorporate new coins, new features. Case had a popular hardware wallet a year ago that is worthless now because they never updated firmware to adjust fees.

Thank you for the reminder, I forget some of the basic ins-and-outs of Bitcoin.  Yeah, not being able to adjust fees is a big drawback.  I only have gotten to know just the parts of the Bitcoin Ecosystem that I actually use, the rest, ah no...  I am glad I have all seeds safely stored away.
thatbluedude

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 11:23:34 AM

got this error from two different webmailers trying to send an email to support@trezor.io.
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:
<support@trezor.io>
Reason:
delivery retry timeout exceeded
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 07:17:03 PM

Updating firmware is not a concern. Your 24 word seed is your bitcoin; you can step on your Trezor or Ledger and destroy it, and restore your seed to a new one in 10 minutes. Back in business. You should be eager to update; firmware needs to be updated to incorporate new coins, new features. Case had a popular hardware wallet a year ago that is worthless now because they never updated firmware to adjust fees.

Thank you for the reminder, I forget some of the basic ins-and-outs of Bitcoin.  Yeah, not being able to adjust fees is a big drawback.  I only have gotten to know just the parts of the Bitcoin Ecosystem that I actually use, the rest, ah no...  I am glad I have all seeds safely stored away.

I was always super hesitant to update firmwares too because with technology everything that can go wrong, always goes wrong with me.  I was forced to do it because my trezor screen all the sudden just went black and became unusable out of nowhere.  Of course my default feeling was that I probably wrote the seed down wrong or something like that.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2017, 07:31:13 PM

I was always super hesitant to update firmwares too because with technology everything that can go wrong, always goes wrong with me.  I was forced to do it because my trezor screen all the sudden just went black and became unusable out of nowhere.  Of course my default feeling was that I probably wrote the seed down wrong or something like that.

When you are using a hardware wallet your seed is your bitcoin and you need to get comfortable with wiping your hardware wallet and restoring from seed so you can prove to yourself that there is no danger to firmware updates. You really do want to be on the latest firmware whatever your choice of wallet.

xbach

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 12:57:30 PM

Thank you for the reminder, I forget some of the basic ins-and-outs of Bitcoin.  Yeah, not being able to adjust fees is a big drawback.  I only have gotten to know just the parts of the Bitcoin Ecosystem that I actually use, the rest, ah no...  I am glad I have all seeds safely stored away.

I was always super hesitant to update firmwares too because with technology everything that can go wrong, always goes wrong with me.  I was forced to do it because my trezor screen all the sudden just went black and became unusable out of nowhere.  Of course my default feeling was that I probably wrote the seed down wrong or something like that.

When you are using a hardware wallet your seed is your bitcoin and you need to get comfortable with wiping your hardware wallet and restoring from seed so you can prove to yourself that there is no danger to firmware updates. You really do want to be on the latest firmware whatever your choice of wallet.

This.

I would recommend sending a small change on the TREZOR first when you set it up. Then wipe the device and restore using Advanced Recovery method (the safest method). If you have successfully recovered your TREZOR with some coins on it, then you will know for sure that the seed is correct.

Firmware updates do not wipe the device, unless the update went wrong (you have to redo the update) or the firmware is unofficial (device wipes itself). It is important to stay up to date, but we do not force anyone to update unless it's a security update. Knowing the seed works is a good reassurance and let's you stay updated regularly.
jiijj1

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 07:16:22 AM

this is propably nothing to worry about but I recently purchased 3 trezor devices, 2 of these had the usual tear to the box because of the strong glue, the third trezor device however the glue cleanly only was left on one side while the other side had no glue or tear marks.
I did use a knife to open these 3 as I know the glue is strong/sticky.

I'm assuming this was either lucky or just bad quality glue and nothing I need to worry about?

https://www.coingecko.com/buzz/trezor-bitcoin-hardware-wallet-review
as in this review 3rd picture has tear visible to the box, on one of my device box there was no tear at all and all of the glue stuck to one side of the box while the other side was completely free from glue / signs of tear.

edit--> as far as I can tell all 3 had the holo sticker in 100% mint condition, plastic wrap, although the plastic wrap had holes in corners on one of the boxes but this is due to shipping I assume.
xbach

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 10:41:04 AM

this is propably nothing to worry about but I recently purchased 3 trezor devices, 2 of these had the usual tear to the box because of the strong glue, the third trezor device however the glue cleanly only was left on one side while the other side had no glue or tear marks.

I'm assuming this was either lucky or just bad quality glue and nothing I need to worry about?

as in this review 3rd picture has tear visible to the box, on one of my device box there was no tear at all and all of the glue stuck to one side of the box while the other side was completely free from glue / signs of tear.

edit--> as far as I can tell all 3 had the holo sticker in 100% mint condition, plastic wrap, although the plastic wrap had holes in corners on one of the boxes but this is due to shipping I assume.

If the box had no signs of tampering then it should be fine. In case of doubt, you can send the pictures to support@trezor.io and our Support Team will have a look at it!
jiijj1

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 02:50:39 PM

If the box had no signs of tampering then it should be fine. In case of doubt, you can send the pictures to support@trezor.io and our Support Team will have a look at it!

mostlikely it's nothing to worry about Smiley , btw when setting up a brand new trezor device it seems at first setup the device is completely wiped?

does this mean that the Trezor OS and other stuff that makes it all work is written to it the first time I plug it in to PC?
TokugaVVa

Activity: 81

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 11:28:40 AM

Can i wrote Private Key from this device on a paper,for my own peace of mind,or cant ?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2017, 04:26:26 PM

Can i wrote Private Key from this device on a paper,for my own peace of mind,or cant ?
The private keys cannot be directly accessed.  That is the entire point of the device.

However, you should/must write down the seed words and keep them private and very secure.  With those 24 seed words every private key and every transaction ever done by the device can all be recovered.  So, if you take the 24 words and do the right thing with them you can generate every possible private key the device has used or will ever use.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2017, 06:03:42 PM

The private keys cannot be directly accessed.  That is the entire point of the device.

However, you should/must write down the seed words and keep them private and very secure.  With those 24 seed words every private key and every transaction ever done by the device can all be recovered.  So, if you take the 24 words and do the right thing with them you can generate every possible private key the device has used or will ever use.

Also a good idea to consider using accounts generated with a passphrase. That way a thief who steals your seed and knows what to do with it cannot steal your bitcoin without the passphrase.

TokugaVVa

Activity: 81

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 07:22:58 PM

Thank you very much
xbach

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 09:53:56 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2017, 01:33:39 PM by xbach

does this mean that the Trezor OS and other stuff that makes it all work is written to it the first time I plug it in to PC?

Kinda. The device is shipped without OS, it is loaded when your first initialize it.

mostlikely it's nothing to worry about Smiley , btw when setting up a brand new trezor device it seems at first setup the device is completely wiped?
virasog
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1162

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 02:51:29 PM

Not so much with Trezor, but with many other software wallets there are some things to know.  Standard security for most people is to copy or type the 12 word phrase into a text document and then move it to a USB drive and store it.  There is virus software out there, right this second that can specifically look for document changes that involve 11 spaces.  It is jsut easier to parse the data and look for spaces, rather than count the words. 

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 03:03:37 PM

I believe the default is now 24 words. So your software would also be looking for 23 spaces.

The smart thing to do is to create the wallet in an offline or airgapped computer.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2017, 03:17:28 PM

I believe the default is now 24 words. So your software would also be looking for 23 spaces.

The smart thing to do is to create the wallet in an offline or airgapped computer.
This is not necessary with Trezor.  This is the beauty of the Trezor.  You don't need to worry about airgap or the computer in any way.

Theoretically you can set up a Trezor on the most highly infected computer at your public library.

You copy down the words from the Trezor display to paper.  Make sure nobody sees the paper, keep it secure and safe.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2017, 03:47:24 PM

Both Trezor and Ledger now have on device recovery. On Trezor it is an advanced recovery option. You should never type the seed of a wallet on a computer, offline of not, or God forbid, store the seed on a USB drive or cloud backup, encrypted or not.

BitAvrillis

Activity: 51

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 06:03:12 PM

Hey there, I just buyed my Trezor wallet and wanna know if i can store TaaS in it? (I didnt received it yet, coming in the next days).
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2017, 07:08:43 PM

Hey there, I just buyed my Trezor wallet and wanna know if i can store TaaS in it? (I didnt received it yet, coming in the next days).

You can store TaaS in MyEtherWallet using Trezor to manage the private keys.

Totscha

Activity: 1276
Merit: 622

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 11:34:13 AM

A few years ago someone bought 3 Trezors using my affiliate link. I earned 5% in BTC. Back when BTC was falling down to $300. Some pocket change that was too little to actually send. And I forgot all about it.

And yesterday the good people at SatoshiLabs decided 0.05 BTC is worth sending. A very nice surprise! Thank you very much Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 »
  Print  

Jump to: