Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:00:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 265 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet  (Read 965823 times)
Perlover

Activity: 162
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 08:55:16 PM
Last edit: August 21, 2014, 09:16:13 PM by Perlover

The most secure solution.

Yes, i am agree too but i have one question to stick/slush but they ignore it regulary

I am about fishing changing of addresses for receiving:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122438.msg8437648#msg8437648

My browser can be affected by virus, but the target is not mytrezor.com may be for example but there could be simple software for changing any Bitcoin address in page (DOM structure) to scam (fishing) address.
What can i do now if this software will appear?

Can stick/slush to add checking option to show current receiving address not only in computer but in the Trezor's screen too and this receiving address should be sent by client software through BIP44 path from computer to the Trezor (the Trezor should simple calculate address by sent BIP44 path from computer)? Smiley
It will be ideal solution.
It's my third repeating of this question here. How times should i repeat for attention of developers Smiley

But this software will be if Bitcoin will be popular.
This software can be installed hidden in any popular plugin of browser and etc.

Did you think about this? Smiley

P.S. Now i use BTCReceive and i imported there xpub key of my Trezor account. I check every address showed to me from myTrezor.com
BUT xpub key to be showed only by browser so i cannot trust by this info too. The xpub key can be easy changed by malware software by scam xpub Smiley
How do you think - it's easy to do or not? I think it can be made by super easy! One world, one payment details, one type of money address -> the ideal world for address change fishing.
klokan

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:57:50 PM

Can stick/slush to add checking option to show current receiving address not only in computer but in the Trezor's screen too

Yes, they are working on it. I proposed this to them back in May. Meanwhile you can send small amount first and confirm with the receiver that he has received this small amount before sending the rest of the money. You will pay fee (which is quite small anyway) twice, but you will be safe from browser replacing BTC addresses.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:00:57 PM

Can stick/slush to add checking option to show current receiving address not only in computer but in the Trezor's screen too

Yes, they are working on it. I proposed this to them back in May. Meanwhile you can send small amount first and confirm with the receiver that he has received this small amount before sending the rest of the money. You will pay fee (which is quite small anyway) twice, but you will be safe from browser replacing BTC addresses.

I always do this when I am sending large amounts anyways.   I could be overly neurotic, but I always send just a tiny amount before sending any larger transactions...just to make sure that everything is good...
Valzador

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:23:24 PM

I'm still a newbie with my trezor.

Can anyone link me or write a guide on how to use electrum with trezor? File > New/Restore > existing wallet doesnt work for me. It asks for a seed. I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 (but i have mac and windows) and I'm using the latest github update.

Thanks in Advance.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:45:12 PM

Ahem, unless the browser only replaces the address when the amount is large enough, only when it is being used for the seonc time in N minutes...

(I assumed that the destination address(es) of every transaction to be signed by the Trezor were always displayed on the Trezor window, so that the client could check them independently of the computer and confirm with one of the two buttons.  I understand from the comment above that this is not always done, is that it?)

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Perlover

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 11:54:08 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2014, 12:07:12 AM by Perlover

I am about to get my address for receiving. You suggest to me to send to myself to address gotten from MyTrezor.com?
Somebody wants to send to me some bitcoins. Now i go to the MyTrezor and the MyTrezor shows to me my receiving address.
But how can i sure that this address is mine?

If you will think - you will get zero security in this process Smiley

Browser algoritmics will be able to make error for calculation of my next address in chain of BIP44 address
Malware can change address
Some bugs in my processor/software can generate bad address
And so on...

And here no checking from this.

I think the Trezor's HID (USB protocol) interface should have a feature - to show ANY address for path of BIP44 sent to him from computer
Example:

1) Electrum and MyTrezor.com generates new address based by blockchain (new free address from transactions)
2) This software sends to the Trezor command: show bitcoin address in your screen for BIP44 path: m/44'/0'/0'/0/1
3) Trezor CALCULATES public address from private seed and shows address 1BLablablablablabla for path m/44'/0'/0'/0/1
4) Electrum or MyTrezor.com shows bitcoin address 1BLablablablablabla calculated from xpub key
5) User check both address - one in computer screen and other in device's screen
6) If all is OK, user press OK button in the Trezor, copys the address from computer to everywhere

It's easy, security. But what there is now - it's very bad.
I can copy my address from "Receiving" from Tab in MyTrezor.com and will never get a Bitcoin if my computer infected smart malware
Or i have bug in processor, bug in libraries and etc.
Why i need in the Trezor if i have not a safe way for getting there some bitcoins to my empty wallet.
The Trezor has my private BIP32 seed. And only it has! And now the Trezor used only for outgoing transactions.

But incoming transactions are more important!

And here now benefits from the Trezor.

Do you understand?
It's simple idea without solutions now

Or may be i am a fool? May be i don't understand something?

P.S. I don't want to write here about this problem anymore.
I wrote 4-5 posts about this and zero reaction from developer.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 12:07:21 AM

(I assumed that the destination address(es) of every transaction to be signed by the Trezor were always displayed on the Trezor window, so that the client could check them independently of the computer and confirm with one of the two buttons.  I understand from the comment above that this is not always done, is that it?)
It is not done, yet.
P.S. I don't want to write here about this problem anymore.
I wrote 4-5 posts about this and zero reaction from developer.
From one of the posts above.  This is being worked on and will be fixed in a future update.

So once the firmware update is done we should be able to verify the receiving addresses in the Trezor window before sending any BTC to the Trezor.

I was wondering if displaying the entire address is the problem.  I see two solutions:

1) It should be good enough to display the head 10 characters and tail 10 characters of the address (or something like that)
2) Just use the two buttons to scroll left and right through the address in the window.  That way it can be larger and easier to read.

A long time ago (pages ago) I also suggested that the Trezor interface be enhanced so that the web site could have a button next to each Bitcoin address that said "verify this address".  Pressing the button would cause the window on the Trezor to display the same address in the sequence that the web site is displaying.  The the user could verify the two are the same.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Perlover

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:13:02 AM

So once the firmware update is done we should be able to verify the receiving addresses in the Trezor window before sending any BTC to the Trezor.

Thanks!
I didn't know about this.
I cannot find info about this.
It will be nice Wink
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 12:16:55 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2014, 12:28:34 AM by BurtW

Thanks!
I didn't know about this.
I cannot find info about this.
It will be nice Wink
It is just above in this post:

BTW sending a small amount does not fix this problem:

Assume the web site is under the control of the hacker.
You send a small amount to the address shown on the screen.
The amount shows up on the screen as received and even when you look on any block explorer.
This proves nothing.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Perlover

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:18:58 AM

I was wondering if displaying the entire address is the problem.  I see two solutions:
1) It should be good enough to display the head 10 characters and tail 10 characters of the address (or something like that)

Now the Trezor shows full address without scrolling of recepient address when we sign outgoing transaction.
Why for this feature can need scrolling? My receiving address will have same length as outgoing address of recepient.

And i think there will enough 10 head and 10 last characters because hacker should have a biggest power for quickly calculation vanity address where first 10 first & 10 last characters will match.

> It is just above in this post:
I saw it but i am not about this.
I didn't see this info from developer.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 12:22:21 AM

Now the Trezor shows full address without scrolling of recepient address when we sign outgoing transaction.
Why for this feature can need scrolling? My receiving address will have same length as outgoing address of recepient.
This is not a problem then.

And i think there will enough 10 head and 10 last characters because hacker should have a biggest power for quickly calculation vanity address where first 10 first & 10 last characters will match.
No this is not possible because the tail value contains the checksum of the entire address.  To do a vanity address with the same head and tail is equivalent (for all practical purposes) to creating a vanity address for the entire address, which is not possible.

But as you said this is not a problem anyway.  They can just display the entire thing.  Sorry I brought it up but I was trying to think of why this might be "hard" for them to do.

I didn't see this info from developer.
Yes I also would prefer to hear this directly from the dev team.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 05:59:03 AM

Is it a smart option to move all my bitcoins to trezor?

What happens if mytrezor.com gets shut down or something? How do I access my bitcoins then?

start small and play with the trezor. try moving bitcoins between different addresses on it or between seperately password-encrypted wallets on it to become comfortable.

Im sure after a week of use you will know its safe for all your bitcoin storage. Ive got about 10% of mine on it now and am confident enough to move the rest over when i get a chance to sweep the keys from my unsecured paper wallets (no password, so theft protection of them is a concern right now)

Where do you day you lived again? And about that combination on your safe...

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:13:42 AM

Is it a smart option to move all my bitcoins to trezor?

What happens if mytrezor.com gets shut down or something? How do I access my bitcoins then?

start small and play with the trezor. try moving bitcoins between different addresses on it or between seperately password-encrypted wallets on it to become comfortable.

Im sure after a week of use you will know its safe for all your bitcoin storage. Ive got about 10% of mine on it now and am confident enough to move the rest over when i get a chance to sweep the keys from my unsecured paper wallets (no password, so theft protection of them is a concern right now)

Where do you day you lived again? And about that combination on your safe...

Im keeping about 15% of my coins there, as i am still getting comfortable with the trezor
klokan

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 07:28:38 AM

Ahem, unless the browser only replaces the address when the amount is large enough, only when it is being used for the seonc time in N minutes...

(I assumed that the destination address(es) of every transaction to be signed by the Trezor were always displayed on the Trezor window, so that the client could check them independently of the computer and confirm with one of the two buttons.  I understand from the comment above that this is not always done, is that it?)

You misunderstood what I said. You always see the destination address(es) on the Trezor display. So there are two options:
1. If the address is replaced by the browser for any amount, you will see incorrect address on the Trezor display for the first transaction and your beneficiary will never receive the small amount from you.
2. If the address is replaced by the browser for big amount only, you will see different destination address (different from the time you were sending the small amount) on the Trezor display when signing the second transaction.

In the first case you loose small amount only, in the second case you don't loose anything because you will decline to sign this bad transaction on your Trezor.

This is a bit clumsy, because you have to check those addresses on the display, BUT this will go away when payment protocol BIP is accepted and implemented in Trezor.
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 07:54:37 AM

This is a bit clumsy, because you have to check those addresses on the display, BUT this will go away when payment protocol BIP is accepted and implemented in Trezor.

from what I understood, the payment protocol doesn't solve two major problems associated with PKIs : that people are not reading who issued the certificate, and that """certification authorities""" fail to perform due diligence before issuing certificates.

btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 08:32:26 AM

it's still a necessary evil and not an issue for me when done properly (off topic though)

my point was that you shouldn't blindly trust what's displayed on a secure screen because it comes secured by the payment protocol - confirming the address over a second unrelated channel still seems to be a good security practice

heito96

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:46:25 AM

this Hardware wallet likes Token for Online Banking right ?
stick

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 08:47:20 AM

Can stick/slush to add checking option to show current receiving address not only in computer but in the Trezor's screen too and this receiving address should be sent by client software through BIP44 path from computer to the Trezor (the Trezor should simple calculate address by sent BIP44 path from computer)? Smiley

I'm almost sure that I replied to this question at least twice already. Better ask via email next time. Forum is very bad medium for asking questions you want answers to, because it's very noisy.

Anyway, here I go again: we implemented this in firmware recently, after we push the next version update, we'll enable this functionality in myTREZOR.

joshbtcmint

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 11:24:40 AM

Any word on that Black Trezor, I have btc burning digits in my...uh....Trezor.
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 01:16:41 PM

It is really interesting
just waiting to a price reduction
now it is not affordable
Pages: « 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 265 »
  Print  

Jump to: