Linux Miner Howto
I'll probably miss something, so please propose changes if you see fit.
1. Install Linux. For now I recommend Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server, and I will be targeting it in this guide.
2. Install prerequisites, including compilers.
sudo aptitude install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
3. Install the ATI drivers. The ubuntu packages are old. First,
(then build dpkgs, need to add instructions here)
apt-cache search fglrx
on debian-based systems (including ubuntu). If it's available, do
sudo apt-get install fglrx
, otherwise, download (and you may want to check for an update) using
4. Run the installer with
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run
You may instead want to build packages. This may be added later.
5. Do the initial X configuration with
sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all -f
as root. And restart X. Logging out of X and back in should work. If you get a black screen, try ctrl-alt-f1, hopefully this will get you to a terminal where you can log in and recover.
6. Get the ATI streaming SDK v2.1 NOT v2.2, from here: http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamSDK/pages/ATIStreamSDK-Archive.aspx
7. Untar it somewhere, I just used ~/ since it's a dedicated mining machine.
8. Edit your ~/.bashrc and add these lines: