Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:53:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 [2003] 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049463 times)
tolip_wen

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 02:43:49 AM

lol, I just had an ASIC fire.

Not sure if it is a cap or a VRM that let go but it was bright and sparky and it stinks.

Symptoms were, PSUs shut down.
I cycled power on the PSUs and that's when the sparks flew.
(same as what others have reported)

I have spare caps but the VRMs are unobtainium.
Anyone with an old dead 28nm PCB with Ericsson VRM's they wanna give me?
I might can change the parts but the VRM's are unavailable in qty. 1.

I won't insult the kfc RMA dept., I modded and have no warranty...

On the plus side the protection on the IBM server PSUs works great, my 4kW rail idea was not the end of my house!
I'll provide more detail (pics) later, I just turned it off and left the room for now.

YMMV
Smiley

'twisted research and opinion' donations happily accepted @
13362fxFAdrhagmCvSmFy4WoHrNRPG2V57
My sub 1337 vanity address Wink
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 02:55:27 AM

HELP!

After a solid week of mining, my Neptune controller won't recognize my cubes.  I have to be missing something simple because I now have 2 controllers like that.  I've used recovery SD to RC6, updated to 1.00, 1.02, 1.05, 1.06s and none will see the cubes.

Instead of white flash that's about a second, I now get a short white flash 3x spaced out over probably 15 seconds.  No green led Sad

I'm sure this must be common, so what am I missing?

PS: All ribbons are firmly attached.  Red strip towards corner of cube and groove in controller.  I've tried just one cube and still nothing.

If by "won't recognize my cubes" you mean you can view miner webpages and controller but it will not detect ASIC cubes, I doubt it is a BBB issue.

No web page or ssh connection to miner, suspect BBB.
If you can connect to controller but it will not see cubes, suspect FPGA on controller board.
Have you tried the controller with no cubes connected?

While troubleshooting remove the LCD and try without it.

YMMC
Smiley

Well, I'm getting answers all over the place. Sad  This is bonus, so no LCD.  Yes, get GUI and can ssh.  With or without cubes, same response.  I hope its not the controller board.  That may prove hard to replace.
notalin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:01:11 AM

I am newbie. Should I invest a miners to earn profit? How long is ROI ? and it deserve to invest ?

Sincere thanks !
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:02:21 AM

well KNC you may want to check this out...the end of your data hall......legit mnfg making 100TH unit for 5k details below

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.msg10943917#msg10943917

PM me for details as well

(I really really wish KNC is watching this forum so they can see the above and cause massive hyperventilation and dismay
that someone is gonna eat their lunch)

again further insight on this via PM to me

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
tolip_wen

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:06:59 AM

Well, I'm getting answers all over the place. Sad  This is bonus, so no LCD.  Yes, get GUI and can ssh.  With or without cubes, same response.  I hope its not the controller board.  That may prove hard to replace.

The difference is I advocate correctly isolating the problem before throwing money at it if possible.

Based on your response I'd put the BBB last on the list of suspects.

It sounds like you already did all this but lets review.
Unplug everything and start with the simplest possible, just the controller.
Add one cube retest, try a different cube same ribbon cable.
Only change one thing at a time and see if anything works.

Test with the last known locally working version of firmware.
I'd completely unplug the whole controller from everything and let it sit unpowered for a many minutes. I had one I thought I killed. I replaced it with a spare Hoopiter controller. After few reflashes the original came back to life.
This may have been because I had everything unplugged in between flashes and whatever caused the 'lock up' cleared.
(some residual capacitance somewhere in the PCB design that affects the FPGA or the power chip on controller)
The reflashing I did may not have been necessary, the process may just have provided the long enough power down for it to clear.
My priority was getting it back in service so I never properly isolated root cause.

Another thing you can test for.
Take a single cube, unplug the cube power but connect the ribbon.
Turn on the controller and see if the temp on the ASIC shows up on the web page.
The temp chip on the cube is powered by the controller over the ribbon.
If this works the controller is prolly OK, as it tests controller power chip and FPGA operation.
This might/could point to a wierd 12VDC issue on a cube interfering with controller communication.

If/when you think throwing money at it is a good idea...
You might find a used Merc, Sat, or Jup controller with a BBB for what a new BBB would cost.
Those old knc specific BBB lack some connectors and might not be valued as highly seperately FWIW.

YMMV
Smiley

'twisted research and opinion' donations happily accepted @
13362fxFAdrhagmCvSmFy4WoHrNRPG2V57
My sub 1337 vanity address Wink
bgibso01
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 01:02:53 PM

@Tolip_wen

Thank you!
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 01:32:38 PM

well KNC you may want to check this out...the end of your data hall......legit mnfg making 100TH unit for 5k details below

(I really really wish KNC is watching this forum so they can see the above and cause massive hyperventilation and dismay

Check the date it was written Searing.   Wink

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938

LIR DEV

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 01:56:59 PM

Ya they had me... Hook, line, and sinker. Gotta luv it.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
The Avenger

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 04:37:17 PM

KNC are going to start shipping this years April Fool's joke in October 2016

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 07:05:32 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2015, 07:30:09 PM by notthematrix

The difference is I advocate correctly isolating the problem before throwing money at it if possible.

Based on your response I'd put the BBB last on the list of suspects.

It sounds like you already did all this but lets review.
Unplug everything and start with the simplest possible, just the controller.
Add one cube retest, try a different cube same ribbon cable.
Only change one thing at a time and see if anything works.

Test with the last known locally working version of firmware.
I'd completely unplug the whole controller from everything and let it sit unpowered for a many minutes. I had one I thought I killed. I replaced it with a spare Hoopiter controller. After few reflashes the original came back to life.
This may have been because I had everything unplugged in between flashes and whatever caused the 'lock up' cleared.
(some residual capacitance somewhere in the PCB design that affects the FPGA or the power chip on controller)
The reflashing I did may not have been necessary, the process may just have provided the long enough power down for it to clear.
My priority was getting it back in service so I never properly isolated root cause.

Another thing you can test for.
Take a single cube, unplug the cube power but connect the ribbon.
Turn on the controller and see if the temp on the ASIC shows up on the web page.
The temp chip on the cube is powered by the controller over the ribbon.
If this works the controller is prolly OK, as it tests controller power chip and FPGA operation.
This might/could point to a wierd 12VDC issue on a cube interfering with controller communication.

If/when you think throwing money at it is a good idea...
You might find a used Merc, Sat, or Jup controller with a BBB for what a new BBB would cost.
Those old knc specific BBB lack some connectors and might not be valued as highly seperately FWIW.

YMMV
Smiley

They only weak point in design of KNC I found was the beagle , espesialy the early versions of the beagle.
 A4 ,  A5  ,  A6
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack
 here all changes per revision KNC used old BBB I gues they bought a lot of them around 2013/2014/
Now we are at REV C witch is way more robust.

for example a very intresting  change is the one from A6 to A6Â

Revision A6A

No changes in features or operation of the board.

1) Added optional zero ohm resistor to tie GND_OSC1 to system ground.
2) Changed C106 to a 1uF capacitor.
3) Changed C24 to a 2.2uF capacitor. This extends the reset signal to solve an issue where some boards would not boot on power up.
4) Removed R9 and installed R8. This change was based on an alert we just received from TI that there is a power sequencing issue with the TPS65217C power management IC and the power sequencing is incorrect. This change connects the VDDS rail to the VRTC rail. We do not believe at this time, that the issue is causing any issues with the boards, but we want to comply

A6A to B

Revision B

This version moves to the AM3358BZCZ100 processor as we are no longer able to get the limited production version of the AM3359AZCZ100.
No changes in features or operation of the board resulted from this change.

Rev B to C

Revision C (Production Version)

This revision increases the eMMC from 2GB to 4GB. We are making this change for several reasons:

1) Complaints from the community about lack of space left in the eMMC.
2) For those worried about their eMMC wearing out, the added space will help in the area of moving the data around to prevent wear out. Assuming of course you don't try and use it all.
3) Concerns over the long-term availability of the 2GB device. 4GB is currently the low end of the offering. This also gives us two sources.

We are planning a price increase for the Rev C somewhere between $5 and $15. We are working to figure out where it needs to be. This is for several reasons:

1) To cover the increased cost of the 4G devices.
2) Currently there is $0 margin on these boards which limits our ability to bring more manufacturing capacity on line. Added some margin allows us to find more capacity.
3) Without margin, we cannot respond to component price increases due to market forces. This is of particular concern in the area of NAND and DDR3. We have been successful in fighting back some increases, but we don't know if that will continue

-----

The beagle is the center the controlboard acts as a extention to the beagle  , and I had it one time that the beagle did not see the cubes ,  replacing it worked.

s

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
bgibso01
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 08:48:26 PM

-----

The beagle is the center the controlboard acts as a extention to the beagle  , and I had it one time that the beagle did not see the cubes ,  replacing it worked.

s

I put the new BBB in and flashed to RC6 and then 1.06s.  Still same issues.  I can do anything in the GUI, but it won't see the cubes.  I've been slumming around today and picked up a BBB & controller from a Mercury for the price of a BBB.  So when that arrives, at least it will for sure tell me if it's a controller issue.  I'm betting you were right Tolip_wen.  Somehow the FPGA has been corrupted and I can't seem to get it to reflash.

PS:  It does look like the latest revision of the BBB does work with the controller (not 100% sure yet though) since it can run the gui.
notthematrix
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 10:45:40 PM

-----

The beagle is the center the controlboard acts as a extention to the beagle  , and I had it one time that the beagle did not see the cubes ,  replacing it worked.

s

I put the new BBB in and flashed to RC6 and then 1.06s.  Still same issues.  I can do anything in the GUI, but it won't see the cubes.  I've been slumming around today and picked up a BBB & controller from a Mercury for the price of a BBB.  So when that arrives, at least it will for sure tell me if it's a controller issue.  I'm betting you were right Tolip_wen.  Somehow the FPGA has been corrupted and I can't seem to get it to reflash.

PS:  It does look like the latest revision of the BBB does work with the controller (not 100% sure yet though) since it can run the gui.

there is a small chip in the controler board , that could be dead . but if you can get a Murcery extention board its the same.
 got a rev c running with my miner.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
teslaman

Activity: 65
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:27:01 AM

PS:  It does look like the latest revision of the BBB does work with the controller (not 100% sure yet though) since it can run the gui.
If you do get a Rev C fully working, would be cool to see pictures.  Cool No surprise that KnC was wrong yet again.  Roll Eyes Still, a Rev B is a cheaper alternative if you can source one and it works just fine. As far as I can see, Rev C just has more onboard memory and some software/GUI improvements that I doubt will matter on a KnC miner.

I did peer through my Mercury's case and finally saw its BBB Rev, it is older. Here's all of mine:
Oct '13 Mercury: Rev A5C - PCB Rev B4
Batch 0 Neptune: Rev B - PCB Rev B6
Batch 1 Neptune: Rev B - PCB Rev B6
Bonus Neptune: Rev B - PCB Rev B6

So you might get an old A version with an old October Controller, not sure about the November boards. I think this Rev A change: "Changed C24 to a 2.2uF capacitor. This extends the reset signal to solve an issue where some boards would not boot on power up." is why the BBB in my Mercury doesn't always boot. Not worth replacing though, I just power cycle until it boots and that's worked fine for well over a year now. Tongue

KnCMiner Firmware - Mercury/Saturn/Jupiter/Neptune/Titan
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 12:30:13 AM

that was why I put the PM me in my message above...so I could tell folk ...rather then have them run around trying to dig up 5k etc

was a good joke thou

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
notthematrix
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 03:46:39 PM

If you do get a Rev C fully working, would be cool to see pictures.  Cool No surprise that KnC was wrong yet again.  Roll Eyes Still, a Rev B is a cheaper alternative if you can source one and it works just fine. As far as I can see, Rev C just has more onboard memory and some software/GUI improvements that I doubt will matter on a KnC miner.

I did peer through my Mercury's case and finally saw its BBB Rev, it is older. Here's all of mine:
Oct '13 Mercury: Rev A5C - PCB Rev B4
Batch 0 Neptune: Rev B - PCB Rev B6
Batch 1 Neptune: Rev B - PCB Rev B6
Bonus Neptune: Rev B - PCB Rev B6

So you might get an old A version with an old October Controller, not sure about the November boards. I think this Rev A change: "Changed C24 to a 2.2uF capacitor. This extends the reset signal to solve an issue where some boards would not boot on power up." is why the BBB in my Mercury doesn't always boot. Not worth replacing though, I just power cycle until it boots and that's worked fine for well over a year now. Tongue
my non bonus neptune came with A6 version of BBB that one is now repleced by rev C , my bunus miner has an A6A version of BBB running that one does work fine.
both running 106s

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:06:23 PM

Knc mining with our titans
If see the litecoinbdifff you will understand what I mean

Technical problem for us
For knc Titan no problems

They simple hold our titans for knc
Phoenix1969
Legendary

Activity: 938

LIR DEV

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:54:21 PM

Knc mining with our titans
If see the litecoinbdifff you will understand what I mean

Technical problem for us
For knc Titan no problems

They simple hold our titans for knc

Yeah, well they obviously had to unplug them, and dust them off with compressed air before shipping them out, which explains the difficulty dip, and it's return as the Titans arrive at their new homes.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRide
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
[BTC]▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
jelin1984
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:14:35 PM

The problems is that knc will not sent titans to customers

They hold for themselves

They tell after 10 days when batch 2 completed
And I still wait my Titan mini batch 2

That they do not have some parts bla bla bla
And they can not sent bonus Titan and Titan mini batch 2
notthematrix
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:18:36 PM

The problems is that knc will not sent titans to customers

They hold for themselves

They tell after 10 days when batch 2 completed
And I still wait my Titan mini batch 2

That they do not have some parts bla bla bla
And they can not sent bonus Titan and Titan mini batch 2

heard somewere you could replace the titanm for a neptune?

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
jelin1984
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:20:00 PM

Yes

What to do Neptune

To burn only electricity
Neptune is nothing
Pages: « 1 ... 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 [2003] 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: