May 09, 2024, 06:15:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 18847 18848 18849 18850 18851 18852 18853 18854 18855 18856 18857 18858 18859 18860 18861 18862 18863 18864 18865 18866 18867 18868 18869 18870 18871 18872 18873 18874 18875 18876 18877 18878 18879 18880 18881 18882 18883 18884 18885 18886 18887 18888 18889 18890 18891 18892 18893 18894 18895 18896 [18897] 18898 18899 18900 18901 18902 18903 18904 18905 18906 18907 18908 18909 18910 18911 18912 18913 18914 18915 18916 18917 18918 18919 18920 18921 18922 18923 18924 18925 18926 18927 18928 18929 18930 18931 18932 18933 18934 18935 18936 18937 18938 18939 18940 18941 18942 18943 18944 18945 18946 18947 ... 33335 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26380663 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 4178

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:35:15 PM

I'm not messing with my seed... If TREZOR or Ledger decide to provide a coin splitting tool for this or any future forks (like they did with Bcash and Bgold), I'll claim. If not, my BTC stay put. Not worth the risk.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 12:41:30 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2017, 12:53:30 PM by afbitcoins

There, I sold .01BTC. That should make this down trend reverse. Roll Eyes

Same feeling here. I need to sell something for price to go up again.

Seems crazy as fuck to see guys in this thread doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing.. .

Crazy

Fuck

Each of us, reading this thread, should realize that we buy on the way down and sell on the way up, not the opposite.

Helrow??

Agreed! Panic selling when price going down is the noobs mistake.

(edit: though I know the feeling very well of doing a trade and then the price going the other way just because you did it!  Wink  Grin )

I'm curious if you hold all your bitcoin on an exchange ready for good moments to buy and sell? My own trading style necessitates that I don't hold anything on an exchange, (because I have lost funds from exchange hacks which is not nice really and I decided not to risk it happening again). Also is selling any real amount of your stash a tax event? For me it is. This all makes trading in and out quite a difficult business potentially. Because of these factors I only trade very infrequently, ie last time I bought in any decent amount bitcoin was about $300. I have cashed out some at a few different levels but because like I say tax makes me hesitate to do more when I otherwise might have.  But I might only trade once, twice or less in a year.

However I do a lot more trading in and out using other crypto, mainly Dash with smaller amounts, mainly for fun, but also because I can profit pretty well generally. I chose Dash because I really like it but any other pair with decent liquidity could do it. This is good because most the time I don't need to get carried away thinking about fiat  and tax. I don't use leverage and so if price goes the wrong way I can be patient. I like bitcoin and Dash so holding either bags if fine for me.

Anyway thought I'd give you the chance to elaborate a bit more, which I'd be interested in hearing. Cheers

bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:55:09 PM

There, I sold .01BTC. That should make this down trend reverse. Roll Eyes

Same feeling here. I need to sell something for price to go up again.

Seems crazy as fuck to see guys in this thread doing the exact opposite of what they should be doing.. .

Crazy

Fuck

Each of us, reading this thread, should realize that we buy on the way down and sell on the way up, not the opposite.

Helrow??

Agreed! Panic selling when price going down is the noobs mistake.

(edit: though I know the feeling very well of doing a trade and then the price going the other way just because you did it!  Wink  Grin )

I'm curious if you hold all your bitcoin on an exchange ready for good moments to buy and sell? My own trading style necessitates that I don't hold anything on an exchange, (because I have lost funds from exchange hacks which is not nice really and I decided not to risk it happening again). Also is selling any real amount of your stash a tax event? For me it is. This all makes trading in and out quite a difficult business potentially. Because of these factors I only trade very infrequently, ie last time I bought in any decent amount bitcoin was about $300. I have cashed out some at a few different levels but because like I say tax makes me hesitate to do more when I otherwise might have.  But I might only trade once, twice or less in a year.

However I do a lot more trading in and out using other crypto, mainly Dash with smaller amounts, mainly for fun, but also because I can profit pretty well generally. I chose Dash because I really like it but any other pair with decent liquidity could do it. This is good because most the time I don't need to get carried away thinking about fiat  and tax. I don't use leverage and so if price goes the wrong way I can be patient. I like bitcoin and Dash so holding either bags if fine for me.

Anyway thought I'd give you the chance to elaborate a bit more, which I'd be interested in hearing. Cheers

Buying and selling dash is not a taxable event for you? How is that?
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:55:42 PM

15125. Bought thy Fucking dip! Cheesy

Unfortunately I believe we might retest $13-14k.

Nailed it.
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 12076

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 12:59:06 PM

Nailed it.

so from here we go again ?  Smiley  Cool  Roll Eyes
Icygreen
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1135

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:00:18 PM

I'm not messing with my seed... If TREZOR or Ledger decide to provide a coin splitting tool for this or any future forks (like they did with Bcash and Bgold), I'll claim. If not, my BTC stay put. Not worth the risk.

Agreed, HW wallets probably won't bother if its 1% or less of BTC value. If its 2% or more and they don't make a tool, I might be tempted to re-seed my wallet, move coins and do the split myself.  I honestly wish I could understand the incentive behind the forks.  Seems like so much $$$ just being given away and most of the recipients surely will dump.  Who knows, maybe it's Bitcoin Pizza that will take the crown!  Hahaha, not, my money is on Fedcoin.   Roll Eyes
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:09:35 PM

Agreed, HW wallets probably won't bother if its 1% or less of BTC value. If its 2% or more and they don't make a tool, I might be tempted to re-seed my wallet, move coins and do the split myself.  I honestly wish I could understand the incentive behind the forks.  Seems like so much $$$ just being given away and most of the recipients surely will dump.  Who knows, maybe it's Bitcoin Pizza that will take the crown!  Hahaha, not, my money is on Fedcoin.   Roll Eyes

If you are not paying for the product, you are the product?  Go ahead, move your coins (this goes for your clones as well) We won't track you, or target you in any way.  There is nothing to be learned from this, don't mind the man behind the curtain.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:12:22 PM

so from here we go again ?  Smiley  Cool  Roll Eyes

Which such low participation in the market right now, I think we'll continue to drift sideways with some small up and down pumping going on. Traders will also continue to short and accumulate which may put some downward pressure on the market.

The price action will be largely irrelevant until whale traders return in the new year. I don't anticipate seeing anything major happening in the market until mid- January or so.
Icygreen
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1135

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:22:21 PM

If you are not paying for the product, you are the product?  Go ahead, move your coins (this goes for your clones as well) We won't track you, or target you in any way.  There is nothing to be learned from this, don't mind the man behind the curtain.

That's an interesting concept. But, really, I've already been subject to KYC and AML with any exchange I've dealt with. If they come a look'n, wouldn't it be easy to move coins to another address and claim you'd been robbed? Then there's mixers and even OTC.  I get your point and perhaps it'll all be so (Duh) clear after the fact but I just don't see it for now. I'm thinking that there's some monetary incentive behind the forkers or attack by dilution or some shit like that.
goggles

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:25:21 PM

I was expecting a uptrend from people collecting upcoming forks.  Huh

https://quantco.in/ifo/btc
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:32:40 PM

'kin ridiculous.
goggles

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:36:48 PM

'kin ridiculous.

You will at least want to collect your bitcoin pizza coins. lol
txtravwill

Activity: 55

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 01:45:01 PM

Nailed it.

Yeah, 13-14K seems to be the floor somewhat building still...
RewFrew

Activity: 574
Merit: 140

Chainjoes.com

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 02:02:08 PM

Hey there,

I know that bitcoin is the most secure thing ever created  and that duo to his low speed verification/transaction. If bitcoin turns to be very quick, hes going to lose from his security and then the possibility to be hacked.

But i have a question for bitcoin old big holders: When the bitcoin lightning fork gonna happend: are you going to hold the same amount of bitcoin and bitcoin lightning or more bitcoin lithting or sell all and buy more bitcoin?

The fact is: you can make transaction for less than 1 cent in 1 to 3 seconds max.

For me: i gonna use bitcoin for most of my money saving as it is the most secure thing on planet for now, and hold some bitcoin lightning for small transactions. Also can use it for big transaction if i need the transaction to happend in a second.

So, what is your view/Strategy on it?
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:02:46 PM

If you are not paying for the product, you are the product?  Go ahead, move your coins (this goes for your clones as well) We won't track you, or target you in any way.  There is nothing to be learned from this, don't mind the man behind the curtain.

If you move your coins in USA it is probably a taxable event (income at the $280 that BCH hit the world, I think it was) ...spend it also (of course)

I'm going by below IRS guideline and hope they just treat it like stock going up..you don't touch it ...this does not matter ....we probably can prove

from the below that it is a hassle to get this stuff and came out of nowhere ....or at least this IRS plug leads me to believe

(on the other hand the IRS released the 2013 guidelines 10 days before the filing deadline stating capital gains wanted on all BTC spent since 2009 (heh) also the
coinbase where they wanted all 15 million account info INCLUDING passwords....because they caught THREE GUYS using coinbase to hide taxes...so wtf they
literally could call all the forks like BCH income and expect us to pay..doubtful though)

anyway, this gives me a little pause that they are not gonna go after the BCH and other forks as long as you don't mess with them or move them or sell them

(ie to IRS...what? I have $$$ from the forked coin? really?)

IRS guidelines that if you have not sold or moved any BCH you MIGHT be off the hook (remember the source here ...me...duh....I drank the BFL kool-aid..I know zip
this is an example of what I'm doing and why I'm not even looking in the general direction of any forked coins...they can live or die on the vine...I ain't doing zip.)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.451-2

anyway, some modest hope I won't get screwed over...but how I am approaching this...no looky..no touchy...any forked coin...

brad
txtravwill

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:29:41 PM

If you move your coins in USA it is probably a taxable event (income at the $280 that BCH hit the world, I think it was) ...spend it also (of course)

I'm going by below IRS guideline and hope they just treat it like stock going up..you don't touch it ...this does not matter ....we probably can prove

from the below that it is a hassle to get this stuff and came out of nowhere ....or at least this IRS plug leads me to believe

(on the other hand the IRS released the 2013 guidelines 10 days before the filing deadline stating capital gains wanted on all BTC spent since 2009 (heh) also the
coinbase where they wanted all 15 million account info INCLUDING passwords....because they caught THREE GUYS using coinbase to hide taxes...so wtf they
literally could call all the forks like BCH income and expect us to pay..doubtful though)

anyway, this gives me a little pause that they are not gonna go after the BCH and other forks as long as you don't mess with them or move them or sell them

(ie to IRS...what? I have $$$ from the forked coin? really?)

IRS guidelines that if you have not sold or moved any BCH you MIGHT be off the hook (remember the source here ...me...duh....I drank the BFL kool-aid..I know zip
this is an example of what I'm doing and why I'm not even looking in the general direction of any forked coins...they can live or die on the vine...I ain't doing zip.)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.451-2

anyway, some modest hope I won't get screwed over...but how I am approaching this...no looky..no touchy...any forked coin...

brad

Movement of coins is not taxable, just when you realize the gains, thus conversion to $USD.  Coinbase just has moves translated to $ amounts in their reports since they can't track outside their platform.  The reporting is totally on you to actually report when you do have the gains.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2938

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:35:07 PM

Hey there,

I know that bitcoin is the most secure thing ever created  and that duo to his low speed verification/transaction. If bitcoin turns to be very quick, hes going to lose from his security and then the possibility to be hacked.

But i have a question for bitcoin old big holders: When the bitcoin lightning fork gonna happend: are you going to hold the same amount of bitcoin and bitcoin lightning or more bitcoin lithting or sell all and buy more bitcoin?

The fact is: you can make transaction for less than 1 cent in 1 to 3 seconds max.

For me: i gonna use bitcoin for most of my money saving as it is the most secure thing on planet for now, and hold some bitcoin lightning for small transactions. Also can use it for big transaction if i need the transaction to happend in a second.

So, what is your view/Strategy on it?
There's no such thing as bitcoin lightning. It's just plain old (true) Bitcoin. You can choose to lock some of it in one or more lightning channels until they are closed, that's all.
Enjel

Activity: 70
Merit: 21

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:35:24 PM

In the USA, starting 1/1/2018, movement of coins will be a taxable event under the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act signed by President Trump.
Just thought I would put that out.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2938

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:36:10 PM

Buying and selling dash is not a taxable event for you? How is that?
Maybe because it's paid with/sold for BTC and not fiat?
txtravwill

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 02:37:23 PM

In the USA, starting 1/1/2018, movement of coins will be a taxable event under the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act signed by President Trump.
Just thought I would put that out.

Movement of a coin isn't, but exchange of a coin yes.  The like type clause was eliminated, thus BCH to BTC and trading Altcoins would be taxable (for any gains only again). 
Pages: « 1 ... 18847 18848 18849 18850 18851 18852 18853 18854 18855 18856 18857 18858 18859 18860 18861 18862 18863 18864 18865 18866 18867 18868 18869 18870 18871 18872 18873 18874 18875 18876 18877 18878 18879 18880 18881 18882 18883 18884 18885 18886 18887 18888 18889 18890 18891 18892 18893 18894 18895 18896 [18897] 18898 18899 18900 18901 18902 18903 18904 18905 18906 18907 18908 18909 18910 18911 18912 18913 18914 18915 18916 18917 18918 18919 18920 18921 18922 18923 18924 18925 18926 18927 18928 18929 18930 18931 18932 18933 18934 18935 18936 18937 18938 18939 18940 18941 18942 18943 18944 18945 18946 18947 ... 33335 »
  Print  

Jump to: