Bitcoin Forum
December 07, 2016, 09:02:01 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 ... 744 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2032337 times)
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 10:41:54 AM

Sounds like the problem is all in the p2pool end anyway? Can you tell if it's actually successfully connecting directly stratum because that would be essential to avoid p2pool sending a lot and higher diffs would be essential to avoid p2pool receiving a lot.

Avalon Cgminer without fix protocol connects on stratum but resends all work over and over.

Did you try the avalon branch of p2pool on github? A fix for stratum is there.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
BR0KK

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:17:06 PM

Could someone point me a way to installing p2pool on a raspberry pi (256 Model)?

Is that even possible or something i shouldn't do?

stevegee58

Activity: 783

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:36:30 PM

Could someone point me a way to installing p2pool on a raspberry pi (256 Model)?

Is that even possible or something i shouldn't do?
I was able to get it working on a BeagleBone with Ubuntu.  It was a PITA since so many of the required Python packages were missing and I had to download them one at a time until it worked.
I couldn't come up with a reason to actually use that since I already have a spare Linux PC running in the house and I use the BB for other things.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
PatMan

Activity: 924

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 01:52:04 PM

The highest p2pool would let me go is 6535. Any higher number just comes back as 6535.
Better get that fixed fast ...

That and the rest...... Tongue

If ever there was a perfect opportunity for the devs here to go through the p2pool stratum code with a fine comb & spyglass - this is it. Some of us here have been suggesting this for months.....ie: since it was introduced.

But that's another story.....or is it? Grin

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 2002

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 11:08:26 PM

Well someone's gotta do it. Ill see what I can do. I can code and tinker. I just don't like to much. I'm gonna be gone a fair bit of April. So if you want to screw with my units you can but you may have to call one of my techs to hard reset them if you bork one and can't reset it remotely.

It's an offer if you are interested in doing it right Cheesy

Ps I've probably given you 50 coins by now, over the past couple years. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. With xiangfu currently working on bringing the code into line with mainline cgminer, it would be helpful for me to test on an actual unit, and I have some time next week. However I would not be touching the p2pool software code at all since it is in python and a complete mystery to me.

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
Pooled mine at kano.is, solo mine at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:14:45 AM

Sounds like the problem is all in the p2pool end anyway? Can you tell if it's actually successfully connecting directly stratum because that would be essential to avoid p2pool sending a lot and higher diffs would be essential to avoid p2pool receiving a lot.

Avalon Cgminer without fix protocol connects on stratum but resends all work over and over.

Yes it's not a fix for stratum. It disables work caching. I get 150mhash with it using stratum. Not exactly ideal.

Stratum for avalon on p2pool is terribly broken. I don't know if its p2pool, or cgminer version or a combination of one doing something the other doesn't like. I actually feel like it should be an easy fix since every other stratum pool works fine.

So far the only thing that works is using fix-protocol and getwork with a very high diff. I've been using /4000+16. That seems the best balance. +32 is all late. You have to remember the "miners" are only 300mhash each. It will bring a 3930k running Ubuntu with 32gb of ram to its knees. It pegs 4 processors trying to keep up and eventually crashes as it runs out of memory. I also is 25-35% DOA. You loose 1/3 of your hashrate.
Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:18:04 AM

Well someone's gotta do it. Ill see what I can do. I can code and tinker. I just don't like to much. I'm gonna be gone a fair bit of April. So if you want to screw with my units you can but you may have to call one of my techs to hard reset them if you bork one and can't reset it remotely.

It's an offer if you are interested in doing it right Cheesy

Ps I've probably given you 50 coins by now, over the past couple years. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. With xiangfu currently working on bringing the code into line with mainline cgminer, it would be helpful for me to test on an actual unit, and I have some time next week. However I would not be touching the p2pool software code at all since it is in python and a complete mystery to me.

Yes, agreed. I tried today to go looking since I used to program python and perl. God some of that code is nuts. Forrest is a genius or a mad hatter. Lol.

It's just too complex for me to dive in and know even where to look. I'm sure if Forrest had an avalon and a few hours he could nail it down.
PatMan

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 07:33:42 AM

Yes it's not a fix for stratum. It disables work caching. I get 150mhash with it using stratum. Not exactly ideal.

Stratum for avalon on p2pool is terribly broken. I don't know if its p2pool, or cgminer version or a combination of one doing something the other doesn't like. I actually feel like it should be an easy fix since every other stratum pool works fine.

So far the only thing that works is using fix-protocol and getwork with a very high diff. I've been using /4000+16. That seems the best balance. +32 is all late. You have to remember the "miners" are only 300mhash each. It will bring a 3930k running Ubuntu with 32gb of ram to its knees. It pegs 4 processors trying to keep up and eventually crashes as it runs out of memory. I also is 25-35% DOA. You loose 1/3 of your hashrate.

Agreed, but I'm not sure it's a cgminer thing TBH - although kudos to ckolivas for putting the notion in. I've tried several different miners on p2pool since the stratum code was implemented in an effort to get it working correctly, but to no avail. Like you said, every other stratum pool works fine.

Although I'm sorry that you're not able to use your avalon on p2pool, (it must be very frustrating - & I was looking forward to seeing the results), it is actually quite a relief to finally get some confirmation that the stratum code on p2pool is borked after banging my head against a wall for so long, not to mention a few "experts" living in denial. If there's a plus to all this - then maybe now, finally & at long last, we can get this bug ironed out, get stratum working properly and p2pool back to 100% working order as it was before the stratum code was introduced. This can only be for the benefit of everyone.

It would be a disaster if this opportunity was not taken. Lets see......

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
Subo1977

Activity: 345

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:38:28 AM

Agreed, but I'm not sure it's a cgminer thing TBH - although kudos to ckolivas for putting the notion in. I've tried several different miners on p2pool since the stratum code was implemented in an effort to get it working correctly, but to no avail. Like you said, every other stratum pool works fine.

Although I'm sorry that you're not able to use your avalon on p2pool, (it must be very frustrating - & I was looking forward to seeing the results), it is actually quite a relief to finally get some confirmation that the stratum code on p2pool is borked after banging my head against a wall for so long, not to mention a few "experts" living in denial. If there's a plus to all this - then maybe now, finally & at long last, we can get this bug ironed out, get stratum working properly and p2pool back to 100% working order as it was before the stratum code was introduced. This can only be for the benefit of everyone.

It would be a disaster if this opportunity was not taken. Lets see......

+1

I provide a 1000Mbit+ Torrent-Seedbox in FR and a 500Mbit Box in NL for orginal Blockchain Bootstrap.dat download. and also for Armoryclient Torrent

Tips are welcome:  15MuGdPSXU62fEFE9XbBZN3UvJMHBDVBoy
PatMan

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 08:17:18 AM

Thanks Subo.

Not bad for a "FUD spreading noob who obviously doesn't understand mining bitcoin" eh?  Wink

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1960

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 10:45:18 AM

Thanks Subo.

Not bad for a "FUD spreading noob who obviously doesn't understand mining bitcoin" eh?  Wink

You're only a "FUD spreading noob" when you talk about things you *don't* understand about mining bitcoin.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
PatMan

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 11:03:50 AM

Thanks Subo.

You're only a "FUD spreading noob" when you talk about things you *don't* understand about mining bitcoin.

Unnecessary, uncalled for & counter productive. Especially coming from a person of your undoubted mathematical knowledge & reputation.

Constructive criticism is most welcome regarding this problem, derogatory comments are not. It helps nobody & nothing.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1960

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 11:59:56 AM

Thanks Subo.

Not bad for a "FUD spreading noob who obviously doesn't understand mining bitcoin" eh?  Wink

Unnecessary, uncalled for & counter productive. Especially coming from a person of your undoubted mathematical knowledge & reputation.

Constructive criticism is most welcome regarding this problem, derogatory comments are not. It helps nobody & nothing.

I think you took that the wrong way.

Edit: try reading it as 'One is only a "FUD spreading noob" when one talks about things one *doesn't* understand about mining bitcoin.'

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:11:30 PM

Although I'm sorry that you're not able to use your avalon on p2pool, (it must be very frustrating - & I was looking forward to seeing the results), it is actually quite a relief to finally get some confirmation that the stratum code on p2pool is borked after banging my head against a wall for so long, not to mention a few "experts" living in denial.

This is the problem: you keep citing the wrong numbers as evidence of a problem.

You think there is a problem with stratum, but you keep using "luck" as your evidence. Your argument is "it is impossible for luck to be this bad, therefore something must be broken." Your premise is false, and I proved it by demonstrating how common such bad luck is in reality. That isn't living in denial, but in reality.

However, this post presents new evidence: "stratum connection crashes p2pool." If that is true, that has nothing to do with luck (a crashed p2pool does not hash and does not contribute to luck). Your use of luck as a metric/evidence is still wrong.

I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with p2pool, I've been saying all along that your arguments are based on either the wrong data or wrong conclusions from data.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:32:47 PM

Although I'm sorry that you're not able to use your avalon on p2pool, (it must be very frustrating - & I was looking forward to seeing the results), it is actually quite a relief to finally get some confirmation that the stratum code on p2pool is borked after banging my head against a wall for so long, not to mention a few "experts" living in denial.

This is the problem: you keep citing the wrong numbers as evidence of a problem.

You think there is a problem with stratum, but you keep using "luck" as your evidence. Your argument is "it is impossible for luck to be this bad, therefore something must be broken." Your premise is false, and I proved it by demonstrating how common such bad luck is in reality. That isn't living in denial, but in reality.

However, this post presents new evidence: "stratum connection crashes p2pool." If that is true, that has nothing to do with luck (a crashed p2pool does not hash and does not contribute to luck). Your use of luck as a metric/evidence is still wrong.

I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with p2pool, I've been saying all along that your arguments are based on either the wrong data or wrong conclusions from data.

I've been running p2pool on stratum for about a week with cgminer.  I noticed the hash rate just isn't as high as it should be.  Not significantly lower (2.4gh instead of 2.6), but still lower.  Based on what was revealed about Avalon and stratum, I thought I'd try disabling stratum in cgminer.  Guess what, my hash rate is back where it should be.  Note that I don't have the hash rate degradation on a "conventional" pool with stratum.

Unfortunately while I can only salivate about the idea of having an Avalon, there does seem to be evidence that stratum isn't functioning up to par on p2pool.

M

MMinerMonitor author, monitor/auto/schedule reboots/alerts/remote/MobileMiner for Ants and Spondoolies! Latest (5.2). MPoolMonitor author, monitor stats/workers for most pools, global BTC stats (current/nxt diff/USD val/hashrate/calc)! Latest (v4.2) 
Buyer beware of Bitmain hardware and services.
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:41:05 PM

I've been running p2pool on stratum for about a week with cgminer.  I noticed the hash rate just isn't as high as it should be.  Not significantly lower (2.4gh instead of 2.6), but still lower.  Based on what was revealed about Avalon and stratum, I thought I'd try disabling stratum in cgminer.  Guess what, my hash rate is back where it should be.  Note that I don't have the hash rate degradation on a "conventional" pool with stratum.

Unfortunately while I can only salivate about the idea of having an Avalon, there does seem to be evidence that stratum isn't functioning up to par on p2pool.

M

THANK YOU! This is a legitimate starting point. This is something that can actually be looked into, do you mind filing an issue:
https://github.com/forrestv/p2pool/issues?state=open
(I think forrestv does some triage on this forum as well)
PatMan

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 02:46:16 PM

Thanks Subo.

Not bad for a "FUD spreading noob who obviously doesn't understand mining bitcoin" eh?  Wink

I think you took that the wrong way.

Edit: try reading it as 'One is only a "FUD spreading noob" when one talks about things one *doesn't* understand about mining bitcoin.'

Organ,

Text can very easily be taken the wrong way if it is not carefully phrased, and it helps to use the smileys also. If you meant no malice then fair play to you.

You know my stance on this situation with stratum & p2pool more than most people, we've had discussions about it before. I have taken far too much undeserved flack over the months since it was introduced, not just because I stood my ground because I believed I was right, but also because others refused to even contemplate that there was even a problem with it - preferring to ridicule & deny anything was wrong rather than investigate what me and others suggested a long time ago. This only resulted in damage to p2pool, my favourite pool. I won't deny the fact that I feel slightly vindicated with what we now know, but what is important is that it gets fixed. Pronto.
There are a few people in this pool who are too quick to jump on others at the slightest hint of questioning anything, dismissing them as not being of sufficient intellect - even suggesting they go elsewhere to do their mining, that for me flies in the face of p2p. The whole idea of p2p is communal sharing, effort & problem solving - that's the main reason why I chose this pool. Even "experts" can be wrong, the same as the rest of us mere mortals, but accepting to be wrong seems a little too hard for some people. That's a shame.

Anyways, rant over. Can we fix it and move on now?  Cheesy

Peace  Grin

gyverlb

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:19:52 PM

If people really have a problem with p2pool and stratum they should start opening tickets on github with details about their setup (OS, python, twisted, p2pool and miner versions, hardware used, hashrate involved, stratum or getwork, load, steps to reproduce the problem).

Meanwhile the silent majority mines with p2pool and stratum without problems since the beginning. We don't have problems: how can you expect us to help if you don't give the information needed to do so? I would like to help diagnose the problem but I certainly won't dig into previous posts to guess what could be the problem with the setups involved.

Here's one setup working as expected (mine) to make it clear what might be useful to pinpoint the source of a problem:
  • OS: Gentoo stable, python 2.7.3 (stable), twisted-11.1.0 unmasked (11.0 is missing a way to close connections properly which leads to memory leaks),
  • Hardware: Core2Duo E8400 3GHz with 6GB RAM, bitcoind/litecoind/p2pool on SSD, other software used on the server but with low loads.
  • P2Pool: git master branch
  • mining devices: Cairnsmore1 and Icarus, 5870 and 5970 graphic cards for a total of ~9GH/s when mining BTC and ~5MH/s when mining LTC with GPUs,
  • software: MPBM master branch for FPGAs, cgminer 2.11.3 for GPUs,
  • configuration: MPBM using getwork with BTC p2pool, cgminer using stratum with both BTC p2pool and LTC p2pool,
  • load: there's little CPU usage from p2pool and cgminer (<5%), RAM is usually <250MB for LTC p2pool and <500MB for BTC p2pool. cgminer RAM usage is ~30MB. There's negligible amount of IO wait time (always <1%): p2pool isn't waiting for disk reads/writes.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:32:55 PM

M

THANK YOU! This is a legitimate starting point. This is something that can actually be looked into, do you mind filing an issue:

I may have spoken too soon.  Using my pool monitor, I have logs every minute of current hash rate, and I'm seeing it fluctuate all over the place both post and pre stratum.  I'm not sure with my low hash rate and the normal cyclic pattern of hash rates that I can definitely say I get a higher rate with LP than I do stratum.

The guy with the Avalon though should open an issue, if he hasn't already.

M

MMinerMonitor author, monitor/auto/schedule reboots/alerts/remote/MobileMiner for Ants and Spondoolies! Latest (5.2). MPoolMonitor author, monitor stats/workers for most pools, global BTC stats (current/nxt diff/USD val/hashrate/calc)! Latest (v4.2) 
Buyer beware of Bitmain hardware and services.
gyverlb

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:40:38 PM

M

I may have spoken too soon.  Using my pool monitor, I have logs every minute of current hash rate, and I'm seeing it fluctuate all over the place both post and pre stratum.  I'm not sure with my low hash rate and the normal cyclic pattern of hash rates that I can definitely say I get a higher rate with LP than I do stratum.

The guy with the Avalon though should open an issue, if he hasn't already.

M
For all hashrates, the only way to have accurate measurement is over a large number of shares submitted. For low hashrates, 1000 1-diff shares should give you a good idea. Activate logs in your miner if you can and find out how much time it takes to submit 1-diff shares (which should be what p2pool asks for with low hashrates). Compare the time it took between getwork and stratum, the difference should be ~1% or less if there was no perturbation (loss of Internet connection for example).

P2pool tuning guide
Pages: « 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 ... 744 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.