Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:38:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 03:01:15 PM

Call it foundation, or trust, or even a company (incorporated).

Everybody can call himself "a foundation" (as seen with ixcoin foundation)... what I am talking about is an incorporated foundation (with legal liability).

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 05:51:54 AM

Wishing the DevCoin Community a healthy and prosperous 2015!

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 05:18:52 PM

DVC has a great potential. I show you why.

A coin must have:

- a good name -> ok
- liquidity -> ok
- a good (and possibily unique) purpose -> ok
- a low transaction cost -> ok (it's merge mined)
- a community -> ok
- high mining hashrate -> ok
- popularity - ko
- philanthropic projects - ko
- investors - ko
- marketing - ko

The problem is not the number of coins. Bitcoin Community is planning to use bits (1BTC=1,000,000bits). This will 'create' ~ 14,000,000*1,000,000= 14,000,000,000,000.
DVC will get the same number of coins in 14,000,000,000,000/2,400,000,000 = 5833 years

The problem is simple: despite DVC is very cheap in transaction since rides on BTC's back, it has zero real marketing. The reason? It's not really the coin for people. I mean, the way coins are distributed must eradically change.
First you need a partner (a big one) already able to distribute coins to philanthropic organisations. In order to receive more these no profit organizations will have to:
- advertise the coin in public events;
- exchange the coin (the partner will monitor this on its payment processor);
- update their payment / donation systems;
- among their projects, they must promote and support at least one kind of art/skill/sport;
- have a logo in every reality.

With this model you will have the task to oversee the process, without the need to check on every piece of artistic production. You will have more time to develop a strong marketing.
At that point the partner will look like a benefactor, plus it will receive a share for handling the distribution, having a coin with very low transaction fee, lower than that fart of Dogecoin.
Steve Jobs was a visionary. We should try to imitate him.

Absolutely, positively, without a doubt, yes! This post says it all. Marketing and in the way presented is key to success, period.

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
tayfun73

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 08:22:17 AM

Well it has taken time but we finally breached the 4 satoshi mark. All the way to the bottom now i fear.
novacadian

Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 01:20:13 PM

Well it has taken time but we finally breached the 4 satoshi mark. All the way to the bottom now i fear.
Even if it sounds crazy, this his is the right moment to attract investors.

Seems perfectly sane to me. If one believes in DVC there could not be a better time to invest.

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 06:40:22 PM

Seems perfectly sane to me. If one believes in DVC there could not be a better time to invest.

- Nova

Right on! First investment rule: buy low, sell high.
Something strange in the human psychology to always buy AFTER price has risen dramatically. --> Herd mentality.
So, don't be a sheep!

Papacrusher

Activity: 218
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 07:18:46 PM

- Nova

Something strange in the human psychology to always buy AFTER price has risen dramatically. --> Herd mentality.
So, don't be a sheep!

Bought as much as I could when it hit 4!

Papa

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:42:36 PM

- Nova

So, don't be a sheep!

The problem is buying and buying does nothing if there's never any value added. DVC still, for all intents and purposes, has no value. It has to create it. DVC has to be treated like a business. If I opened a store locally that earned $0, people wouldn't invest. If it was profitable, they would. DVC is the same way.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 10:23:59 PM

The problem is buying and buying does nothing if there's never any value added. DVC still, for all intents and purposes, has no value. It has to create it. DVC has to be treated like a business. If I opened a store locally that earned $0, people wouldn't invest. If it was profitable, they would. DVC is the same way.

Ofcourse. We need someone who sells something valuable and accepts Devcoin for it. That's how you create a devcoin related business.

Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 10:32:14 AM

Good.
Hunterbunter, what do you think about that?

I think it's all great discussion, and it's encouraging to see.

This coin is far from dead, and the price is going to do what the price is going to do for the time being. I'm still happy that people are seeing this as a good buying opportunity, as I do myself. It implies that people still believe in its mission, as I do too.

I've had some rl responsibilities hinder my ability to push forward the devcoin proposal since I took over in September, so the reason it is delayed is largely my fault. On the bright side, looking through the proposal now, there's still nothing that I would change about it, so I'm still confident that it will improve things long term (this is what I'm talking about, if you don't know: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_division_proposal).

There were some kinks in the change of leadership when I took over; a lot of admins just disappeared with the falling price, new devtome writers weren't being added by Unthinkingbit, and whole bunch of other stuff I don't have any control over was not being done - my role as "leader" felt very much like a namesake more than anything actually meaningful, and it really felt like I'd been handed a sinking ship just so it had someone to go down with it...without a manual. Maybe that's still the case, however this isn't like a stock where a company can go bankrupt and shut down (like penny stocks), the cryptocurrency is meritable in and of itself, and can be revamped as many times as we need to. As many have mentioned before, a lot of people here don't even earn devcoins because they need the money, they earn them because of its noble mission.

As for the proposed changes themselves, UTB is still in control of accounting, and doesn't want the account files changed (account.py), so instead we're going to have to implement the proposal via the ongoing bounty file, which I do control. The way the files run, however, means it's not going to perfectly divide all the divisions as expected. At the moment, what you see on something like http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com is an imperfect estimate of the final shares, and when the account files are run, things like ratings, admin bonuses, marketing and all that are calculated by UTB and stored on his github. Once they are on there, it is "official", and final. I do my own calculations daily, but the only one that matters is the final one, which sometimes varies from mine slightly, probably because of timing. He then pushes those files to the various file custodians to be spread by the client. To implement the division proposal perfectly, it would have to be done before pushing to clients, which UTB doesn't want to do, from our last conversation. Doing it in the ongoing file means I have to predict what the final values are going to be, create normalizations on these, then the account script adds these to the final account.csv when UTB runs it. While I can make a very good guess, it's not going to be perfect. If the community still supports implementing the proposal this way, then that's what I'll do. I haven't calculated the error, but I estimate it to be around 5%, against the perfect version.

There are several other issues we face, going forward.

The first, is our exchange presence. Vircurex in particular is a problem, because it's run by the same people who run crypto-stocks, and while both were quite busy for a while, I've been hearing nothing but bad things about them for the last twelve months. Vircurex was hacked some time ago, and the owners promised to pay everyone back from the profits of trading, which was slowly working for a time. Then a few months ago, another issue they had meant they had to freeze funds, causing people to basically flee the exchange, which destroyed their trading volume. It still seems to be running ok now, but the volume is ultra light, meaning that both confidence in them is at an all time low, and there is extremely little incentive for the owners to build or invest anything more into it. The risk of putting funds on there long term is too high for my tastes. We are also listed on Cryptsy, which doesn't seem to be suffering the same fate, but being on only one and a half exchanges is disconcerting. We simply need more exchanges, which we aren't going to get until we're more interesting to speculators.

The second, is that we never managed to generate a block on the live chain, so couldn't confidently say our new client worked properly. This had repercussions down the line because people think the client hasn't changed in over a year, when it has had a lot of work done. The changes work in the test-net, but we have to convince the bigger merge mining pools to try them live and confirm all is well. One thing we could do is simply declare the new client official, and assume it works. It's not good practice to do this, but we may not have any other option without investing serious capital into mining hardware. I tried to do it with blisterpool, but p2pool just didn't pay out frequently enough to keep people interested...even when I was paying a 20% bonus in devcoins! I have had other ideas to get people to lend us their hash, but haven't had the time to actually do any of it. My time will become more available after January, which is when I can more seriously attempt the division changes again.

Devtome writers haven't been added for some time. UTB is still in charge of adding them, and I believe there is a substantial amount of work that goes into vetting new writers, which he seems to not have had the time to do. He is still around and is still doing the files, so the only thing writers can do about this is hound him until he does it, unfortunately.

Lastly, I wasn't exactly given a handbook on things when Unthinkingbit handed over the reigns, and essentially admins as they were have complete control over their assigned duties. This lack of organization is extremely difficult to problem solve, so one of the things I will address soon is who is actually still here doing their jobs. As someone mentioned, accountability has been poor, and that has to change if we have any hope of recovering. On that note, we will probably go through a mass culling of administrators in the next few rounds. Anyone who is still willing to work on devcoins (and has been), irrespective of the price are of course immune to the cull, but I suspect many haven't been bothering to do their duties as promised. I know the pay exists and is supposed to have some meaning, but to draw on the movies for a moment, I would rather have 300 Spartans than 3000 potters, sculptors and blacksmiths.
Papacrusher

Activity: 218

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:45:14 PM

So very excellent to hear from you Hunter!  I am still around so count me in to help however I can be of service.  I am for moving forward with the proposal.

Papa

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:18:10 AM

Didn't want to copy Hunter's post but fwiw, I've been continuing my duties. At least what I could. I'm a writing admin and have continued to cull and such, but UTB's absence has created issues since I basically have to just report to him. With that said, I'll keep my positions going forward if I can!

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
notabot

Activity: 99

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 11:04:47 AM

I'm still hosting receivers. I've handed over the admin duties for devtome stats, devtome analytics, and devtome page views, but I see those pages are not current. I can resume maintaining those pages but there will sometimes be delays of 1-2 weeks as I am on the road a lot working events right now (busy season). HB just let me know your thoughts on that.

melodiem

Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 09:42:24 PM

Hello all, I am still here albeit a little damaged from rl things, i stepped back a bit after some pretty harsh abuse from new writers who couldnt get onto devtome and no response from UTB. I am confused why he wont answer anyone yet he wont step away and let others take over (control freak much?)

I know this sounds like an atack on UTB but seriously, without some transparency the way forward is just so much BS because UTB stands in the way by being obtuse and not responding honestly or with any real sense of cooperation.

it worries me also that any work "we" do can be stopped, strangled and/or negated by someone who obviously has no interest in being a part of a thriving community. At present the administration of Devcoin is decentralised which is (imo) a flaw in design when only half the administration give a damn.

i will happily support and work toward anything that is offered transparently and with community consultation but truth is i have zero faith or trust in UTB or his intentions and until he is either completely gone or starts to behave in a way that shows some commitment, i have zero trustin Devcoin's future.

i appreciate that he set this all up blah blah but if he wont step up to his responsibilities or step down and let others take on the responsibility then all work he has done previously is really worth nothing...a pretty show of his prowess and nothing more.

some of us have invested our own cold hard cash into furthering/growing Devcoin and to this random aussie chick it all smacks of ripoff by any other name...

Devcoin Project is still active and the chatrooms are working if you want an alternative to the stuck up elitists running the node who never respond to anyone except to laugh at newbies. Devcoinproject.com (you can access their chatroom from devcoin project as well or you can go to the project chatroom and have your own discussions)

RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 10:18:06 PM

Good.
Hunterbunter, what do you think about that?

I think it's all great discussion, and it's encouraging to see....

The Guldencoin Dev, /GeertJohan, has developed a real time simulator that may help with testing. I BELIEVE he is going to make it public domain and, I BELIEVE it is up and running. If so, might help bump up confidence in the new version if you could obtain a copy.

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
tayfun73

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:44:06 AM

Is vircurex being ddosed at the moment? Haven't been able to access the site for a few hours now....
Flam

Activity: 368
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 11:08:31 PM

Happy new years guys, I'm still around too. I kinda agree with Melodiemuse even if i dont know anything about UTB's behavior. On top of that I thought that hunterBunter took the whole control of devtome as it seems not to be the case. I thought that the transition will go smoother than this. As an earning admin I'm unable to add new writers for month now.

▄███▄
        ▄█████████▄
     ▄██████████▀  ██▄
  ▄████████▀█▀   ▄██████▄
█▀▀▀███████   ▄████████▀▀▀█
██▄   ▀████▄▄▄▄█████▀   ▄██
█████▄   ▀███████▀   ▄█████
████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
▀██████████▄   ▄███████████
   ▀████████▌ ▐█████ ██████
██▄   ▀█ ███▌ ▐████   ▀████
█████▄    ██▌ ▐███▄▄ ▐█████
████████ ▄██▌ ▐█████ ▐█████
████████▄███▌ ▐█████ ▐█████
  ▀█████████▌ ▐█████ ▐██▀
     ▀██████▌ ▐██████▀
        ▀███▌ ▐███▀
           ▀███▀

╲╲╲╲╲╲╲╲▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
THE FIRST OF ITS KIND
SELF-GOVERNED ECOSYSTEM

╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱
JOIN THE ICO - 18th OCTOBER
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬╲╲╲╲╲╲╲╲

▄███▄
        ▄█████████▄
     ▄██████████▀  ██▄
  ▄████████▀█▀   ▄██████▄
█▀▀▀███████   ▄████████▀▀▀█
██▄   ▀████▄▄▄▄█████▀   ▄██
█████▄   ▀███████▀   ▄█████
████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
▀██████████▄   ▄███████████
   ▀████████▌ ▐█████ ██████
██▄   ▀█ ███▌ ▐████   ▀████
█████▄    ██▌ ▐███▄▄ ▐█████
████████ ▄██▌ ▐█████ ▐█████
████████▄███▌ ▐█████ ▐█████
  ▀█████████▌ ▐█████ ▐██▀
     ▀██████▌ ▐██████▀
        ▀███▌ ▐███▀
           ▀███▀

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 01:08:09 PM

As marketing admin, I am here and ready to do a good Devcoin press release as soon as the project has some good news Wink Even with the low price of DVC right now we can afford a good press release.

I am not sure whether now is the best time or if I should just do a "bigger" one with more maximum effect when Devcoin is relaunched. It seems everything is in transition, and it might not be the best time for a big advertising campaign right now, especially if it is true that new writers cannot be added to Devtome etc at the moment, but I am ready to do it when the community agrees.
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 02:36:13 PM

As for the proposed changes themselves, UTB is still in control of accounting, and doesn't want the account files changed (account.py), so instead we're going to have to implement the proposal via the ongoing bounty file, which I do control.

Just a sidenote, the domain on which I host the business_bounty_xx.csv files recently expired.  As there have been no new bounties, I have not made any files, but if it is required I can start hosting them on another domain.  (Not sure if business_bounty is still needed with the new division changes)
develCuy

Activity: 470
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 07:13:22 PM

Call for DVC pump up!

Follow up: http://coinzen.org/index.php/topic,2650.0.html

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
Pages: « 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: