Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:27:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:35:18 PM

You may want to fork bitshares amd have earners run delegates as workers... Its a bit more decentralized through voting.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:44:34 PM

Pardon my technical ignorance, but why would Devcoin need to be forked just to have it working the way it used to work? I mean, at one time (and for a long time) it was working just fine from the technical perspective. What changed and why has it been nonfunctional for so long?

Hey Wiser, the big problem we have is that essential services are being run by people who just have no interest in keeping them ticking, and don't respond when you try to get them to do their job.

I suspect a falling price has a lot to do with that, along with lackluster leadership. I take responsibility for my part, but there's nothing I can do about the price. Devtome was great, but it was a black hole. It never even close to paid for itself, and the price whittled away, making it even harder to get people to make an effort. Even moving the site into other's hands has proven futile, and now it's in no mans land. I'm still trying to get this working again, and the last communication I received was that there was progress. My share proposal was too little too late, as the damage to the coin was already done. The unlimited shares devtome could earn meant developers ran for the hills.

To add to that, both of the only exchanges that deal with dvc have both recently stopped working. Cryptsy hasn't sent out btc for a month according to the forums, and Vircurex hasn't been processing deposits for a while apparently.

I'm more than happy to step aside and let someone else take charge if they believe they can turn this ship around. The only reason I could think of to fork devcoins would be to decentralize everything. Absolutely nothing that relies on one person alone to do their job.

I believe the key to that problem lies in DACs - Distributed Autonomous Corporations, and the only thing holding that back, as far as I can see, are that domain registrars don't allow domain purchases via API *and* bitcoins yet.

HB

Thanks for the explanation, HB. I wasn't particularly asking about the price--I realize that is largely out of our control, though I can see it having an effect on the motivation of admins.

A fork that would decentralize things more sounds like a good idea. It seems human beings are the weak link in a crypto system. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. PM me and I can give you my email address. Otherwise, please keep posting updates here. This thread seems to work the best for that purpose.

As for Cryptsy, it seems parts of it are working fine. You can still send deposits and those go through fine. You can use your BTC to buy and withdraw many altcoins (hence their high price relative to other exchanges), and then you can move out the altcoins. The DVC price was at the level it's at now before Cryptsy started having its issues and the price hasn't gone down since. If a different exchange traded in DVC, then I suspect its Cryptsy price would also be inflated. I got off Vircurex quite a while ago, and had forgotten they were even still online, because I started encountering more and more hiccups with deposits and withdrawals and I worried that they might be Goxing. With Cryptsy, I think they are having genuine issues and they are genuinely working to mitigate them, but their poor PR and communication is making matters worse and leading to FUD, etc.
develCuy

Activity: 470
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 05:15:29 PM

Pardon my technical ignorance, but why would Devcoin need to be forked just to have it working the way it used to work? I mean, at one time (and for a long time) it was working just fine from the technical perspective. What changed and why has it been nonfunctional for so long?

Hey Wiser, the big problem we have is that essential services are being run by people who just have no interest in keeping them ticking, and don't respond when you try to get them to do their job.

I suspect a falling price has a lot to do with that, along with lackluster leadership. I take responsibility for my part, but there's nothing I can do about the price. Devtome was great, but it was a black hole. It never even close to paid for itself, and the price whittled away, making it even harder to get people to make an effort. Even moving the site into other's hands has proven futile, and now it's in no mans land. I'm still trying to get this working again, and the last communication I received was that there was progress. My share proposal was too little too late, as the damage to the coin was already done. The unlimited shares devtome could earn meant developers ran for the hills.

To add to that, both of the only exchanges that deal with dvc have both recently stopped working. Cryptsy hasn't sent out btc for a month according to the forums, and Vircurex hasn't been processing deposits for a while apparently.

I'm more than happy to step aside and let someone else take charge if they believe they can turn this ship around. The only reason I could think of to fork devcoins would be to decentralize everything. Absolutely nothing that relies on one person alone to do their job.

I believe the key to that problem lies in DACs - Distributed Autonomous Corporations, and the only thing holding that back, as far as I can see, are that domain registrars don't allow domain purchases via API *and* bitcoins yet.

HB

The first step is to start the conversation and it is great that you jumped in HB! IMHO forking is an option to evaluate along with other options that community can propose.

Regarding you step aside if someone else wants to take over, perhaps you feel a bit unmotivated by current situation of Devcoin, what you really need IMHO is help from the community, that is part our fault as a community but you can also make something, leadership is about moving together towards a vision. Hopefully Devcoin has clear vision, now is time to start over, we are still alive!

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
notabot

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 11:10:39 AM

As for Cryptsy, it seems parts of it are working fine. You can still send deposits and those go through fine. You can use your BTC to buy and withdraw many altcoins (hence their high price relative to other exchanges), and then you can move out the altcoins. The DVC price was at the level it's at now before Cryptsy started having its issues and the price hasn't gone down since. If a different exchange traded in DVC, then I suspect its Cryptsy price would also be inflated. I got off Vircurex quite a while ago, and had forgotten they were even still online, because I started encountering more and more hiccups with deposits and withdrawals and I worried that they might be Goxing. With Cryptsy, I think they are having genuine issues and they are genuinely working to mitigate them, but their poor PR and communication is making matters worse and leading to FUD, etc.

Cryptsy was hacked, or an insider job, whatever, at least according to rumors I've heard. There's an article allegedly about cryptsy http://forums.prohashing.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=655&p=2477 . I have coins I'm unable to withdraw from there and my support tickets get closed. Now they don't even respond to them. Playing with fire if you deposit coins there. Strongly advise don't do it.

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 07:03:40 PM

Cryptsy was hacked, or an insider job, whatever, at least according to rumors I've heard. There's an article allegedly about cryptsy http://forums.prohashing.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=655&p=2477 . I have coins I'm unable to withdraw from there and my support tickets get closed. Now they don't even respond to them. Playing with fire if you deposit coins there. Strongly advise don't do it.

If anyone couldn't see this coming, I'm not sure what to say. I wiped my Cryptsy balances about a month ago when a flood of reports started coming out about not being able to withdraw. If people didn't heed that warning and know something was about to happen... well, this is going to happen again. You'd think people would have learned from Mt. Gox, Smiley.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 12:05:48 AM

You may want to fork bitshares amd have earners run delegates as workers... Its a bit more decentralized through voting.

Forking Bitshares is an option but it's also an option to build on top of Tauchain or Ethereum. It depends on your time frame.

Devshares would be a not bad idea but then it's not mined. Tauchain would allow for mining. Ethereum would also allow for mining.

Luckybit

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 12:08:25 AM

If anyone couldn't see this coming, I'm not sure what to say. I wiped my Cryptsy balances about a month ago when a flood of reports started coming out about not being able to withdraw. If people didn't heed that warning and know something was about to happen... well, this is going to happen again. You'd think people would have learned from Mt. Gox, Smiley.

I contacted someone here. What you should do is contact Open Ledger so that DVC can be traded on a decentralized exchange. It's win win because Open Ledger needs the liquidity and DVC needs an exchange which is resilient. There is also Metaexchange to contact.

https://www.openledger.info/
https://metaexchange.info/
bhokor
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 12:17:41 AM

I contacted someone here. What you should do is contact Open Ledger so that DVC can be traded on a decentralized exchange. It's win win because Open Ledger needs the liquidity and DVC needs an exchange which is resilient. There is also Metaexchange to contact.

Open Ledger is a p2p exchange? but i thought is needed to go through bitshares, i mean it have not direct exchange dvc/btc it can be a little embarrasing for no technical users
Luckybit

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 01:11:26 AM

Open Ledger is a p2p exchange? but i thought is needed to go through bitshares, i mean it have not direct exchange dvc/btc it can be a little embarrasing for no technical users

It's a P2P exchange which goes through Bitshares 2.0. Bitshares 2.0 is not like Bitshares 1.0.

I guess their marketing isn't very good or is non-existent which is why no one knows it's even a decentralized exchange.

You can do direct exchanges through Metaexchange which is based on Bitshares 2.0 also. Try Metaexchange and see for yourself.

https://metaexchange.info/markets/ETH/BTC
https://metaexchange.info/markets/NXT/BTC

As for centralization, depending on the asset it can be completely decentralized or not but the way it works is you have IOU assets like OpenBTC, TradeBTC, etc, which represent Bitcoin on the Bitshares Blockchain. This allows Open Ledger and Metaexchange to both trade real Bitcoin on their exchanges. The risk is in the fact that you're dealing with IOUs but this is currently how centralized exchanges or Ripple does things, it's always with IOUS.

The Gateways redeem the IOUs for the actual tokens when people cash out. It's decentralized based on the fact that there is multisig control of the IOUs like OpenBTC, TradeBTC, etc. It's not centralized, so there is no website you can take down to take all the IOUs out of the system. If Metaexchange goes down you'd still be able to trade on Open Ledger or anything else.

It's about as decentralized at this time and still maintain the functions of an exchange. You can directly trade BTC for DVC on Bitcointalk but you can't do it from an exchange interface and you'd have to trust that person. On Bitshares you're indirectly doing it because you're exchanging OpenBTC, TradeBTC, etc, in exchange for OpenDVC, TradeDVC, etc, which are IOUs which all get redeemed at withdraw. Your risk is that the multisig accounts which control the pool of BTC and DVC can be compromised but ownership is decentralized. Even ownership of Metaexchange and Open Ledger is decentralized by Meta fee shares and oBits.

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 01:49:58 AM

It's a P2P exchange which goes through Bitshares 2.0. Bitshares 2.0 is not like Bitshares 1.0.

I guess their marketing isn't very good or is non-existent which is why no one knows it's even a decentralized exchange.

You can do direct exchanges through Metaexchange which is based on Bitshares 2.0 also. Try Metaexchange and see for yourself.

https://metaexchange.info/markets/ETH/BTC
https://metaexchange.info/markets/NXT/BTC

As for centralization, depending on the asset it can be completely decentralized or not but the way it works is you have IOU assets like OpenBTC, TradeBTC, etc, which represent Bitcoin on the Bitshares Blockchain. This allows Open Ledger and Metaexchange to both trade real Bitcoin on their exchanges. The risk is in the fact that you're dealing with IOUs but this is currently how centralized exchanges or Ripple does things, it's always with IOUS.

The Gateways redeem the IOUs for the actual tokens when people cash out. It's decentralized based on the fact that there is multisig control of the IOUs like OpenBTC, TradeBTC, etc. It's not centralized, so there is no website you can take down to take all the IOUs out of the system. If Metaexchange goes down you'd still be able to trade on Open Ledger or anything else.

It's about as decentralized at this time and still maintain the functions of an exchange. You can directly trade BTC for DVC on Bitcointalk but you can't do it from an exchange interface and you'd have to trust that person. On Bitshares you're indirectly doing it because you're exchanging OpenBTC, TradeBTC, etc, in exchange for OpenDVC, TradeDVC, etc, which are IOUs which all get redeemed at withdraw. Your risk is that the multisig accounts which control the pool of BTC and DVC can be compromised but ownership is decentralized. Even ownership of Metaexchange and Open Ledger is decentralized by Meta fee shares and oBits.

I don't know much about these two exchanges but from what you say it sounds like a good idea to get DVC on there. It's good to have multiple options, so that if one exchange has problems it's easy to just move over to another one.
jolskeboll

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 09:24:11 AM

Hi guys!

Vircurex guy put the wallet service back up, it had been down for a while and had not had the ability to check the wallets.
 Everything is working again!

Twitter: Apis Apis @infinitypump
develCuy

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 03:04:07 PM

Hi guys!

Vircurex guy put the wallet service back up, it had been down for a while and had not had the ability to check the wallets.
 Everything is working again!

You made my day! Thank you!

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
develCuy

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:14:05 PM

You can now run devcoind in Docker:

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=running_devcoind_in_docker

The automated build is available in Docker hub:

https://hub.docker.com/r/develcuy/devcoind/

develCuy

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 06:54:21 PM

New Devcoin blockchain explorer, powered by Ophal.org:

http://www.coinage.tk/devcoin

Feedback is welcome!

I managed to add more transaction information in Coinage Devcoin block explorer. For example:

http://www.coinage.tk/devcoin/tx/5c4046e6e64bccf0d188400187922b9413dd83be9bb32a594b7988206f2229bc

That transaction belongs to Coinage wallet, external transactions have limited information. For example:

http://www.coinage.tk/devcoin/tx/80e46e9f17d44de6c648bed643a8654b70555bf9e9bd3fbf1c3f0d8c6f82e662

For instance, this is the Devcoin genesis block:

http://www.coinage.tk/devcoin/block/0000000062558fec003bcbf29e915cddfc34fa257dc87573f28e4520d1c7c11e

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 09:12:38 PM

Are Devcoins still being merge mined with Bitcoin, according to this website: http://devcoin.org/get-devcoin.html?

If so, why is it that devcoin blocks are being added at a much slower rate than Bitcoin blocks?

Or did I simply never understand how it really works?
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 01:04:17 PM

Are Devcoins still being merge mined with Bitcoin, according to this website: http://devcoin.org/get-devcoin.html?

If so, why is it that devcoin blocks are being added at a much slower rate than Bitcoin blocks?

Or did I simply never understand how it really works?

The main pool that merge-mined devcoin, GHASH.io, recently stopped merged mining.  Perhaps the difficulty has not retargeted yet.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 09:55:18 PM

I hope people with more tech brains than me can get this coin back in the game. I still love the idea and think it has a lot of bright minds attached to it (albeit most of them dormant for now).

ashleysly

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 04:18:49 PM

I too am getting the error on devtome

Code:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /doku.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
Support me build a plane to advertise DVC: 1Mdu9MbAEsUm81NzEPQR7GCkUxbG39pWMy
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 02:12:32 AM

Yes, how long is it going to take to get this fixed?

I too am getting the error on devtome

Code:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /doku.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2016, 02:28:10 AM

Any updates on the Devtome issue that was brought up here several weeks ago?

Hunterbunter said that he had made the Admin aware of the issue. Are you still having problems?

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
Pages: « 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: