Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:37:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dalamar96

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 04:14:44 AM

I may contact the E^iPi but I am sure they are working on the base and won't have much time for me Smiley  I could be wrong, but I would like to come to them with specifics rather then just, "How can I make this work for DVC?" heh 

I think it's cool you want to do this, and I dont mean to stop you at all, just offer a perspective because I ask dumb questions like that daily and the busiest ones are the ones who answer most Smiley

In the long term interests of  Devcoin, the Open Source/Creative community need opportunities to get involved. We are encouraged to promote Devtome to writers and there is even a (subtle) suggestion that some might not invite new writers because more writers means more work for writers to maintain their shares.

I am not suggesting this is the case with developer bounties, but I am curious why the difference in approaches?

Some of the more sizeable bounties (30 shares could be considered so compared to 6 for a forum) could be great encouragement for more Open Source developers to get involved.

LOL, well with all the talk over the past few days about bounties and the writing thing I figure most of the shares are going out the window sooner or later either way. I am not here for shares so much as learning about this type of thing and helping out. I do what I can where I can and with the writing on devtome it has helped me get back into doing D&D style writing. Something for fun that I can get a little DVC for in case sometime in the next 5 years it becomes worth something. Also it's been fun day trading it.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 05:11:42 AM

From an investment perspective this is a great idea but for many of the writers being paid shares each month, its about an income to live on, not invest. (edit) and I suspect that if developers are paid in DVC this would be the case for many as well.

Speaking only for myself, this is not the case. Nor would it be my wish to bring any crypto currencies out of my wallets at this time. Things have been comfortable for me financially before coming to this community, though my lifestyle is not lavish.

My interest is the philosophy behind devcoins and watching it growing and evolve. It is great that if some folks need the extra cash to get by, that it is there for them to do so. It is hard for me to believe that the crash of DVC each share split truly reflects the need of the many but more the large degree of non-believers it is currently carrying. If one believes then dumping one's coins is selling oneself short. Unless we are talking about selling and buying with day trades. That helps to put stability in the market.

It's not my wish to point fingers. Most likely, things will sort themselves out over time. It just feels good, for me, to have finally become a junior contributor of this community. Perhaps other programmers get the same buzz as me, just having people using their software, regardless of the monetary payout. My guess is that real writers feel the same when someone reads their work or real graphic artist/painters see their work hanging on someone else's walls.

- Nova 

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 05:15:18 AM

From an investment perspective this is a great idea but for many of the writers being paid shares each month, its about an income to live on, not invest. (edit) and I suspect that if developers are paid in DVC this would be the case for many as well.

Speaking only for myself, this is not the case. Nor would it be my wish to bring any crypto currencies out of my wallets at this time. Things have been comfortable for me financially before coming to this community, though my lifestyle is not lavish.

My interest is the philosophy behind devcoins and watching it growing and evolve. It is great that if some folks need the extra cash to get by, that it is there for them to do so. It is hard for me to believe that the crash of DVC each share split truly reflects the need of the many but more the large degree of non-believers it is currently carrying. If one believes then dumping one's coins is selling oneself short. Unless we are talking about selling and buying with day trades. That helps to put stability in the market.

It's not my wish to point fingers. Most likely, things will sort themselves out over time. It just feels good, for me, to have finally become a junior contributor of this community. Perhaps other programmers get the same buzz as me, just having people using their software, regardless of the monetary payout. My guess is that real writers feel the same when someone reads their work or real graphic artist/painters see their work hanging on someone else's walls.

- Nova 

I'm with ya Nova Smiley Ride em till the buck ya or don't ride at all Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
melodiem

Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:41:32 AM

- Nova  

I dont argue that the very best way to support DVC is not to sell quickly and to trade etc, but reading the Git repository over the last few days, from the original developer, the whole point of devcoins was/is to give an acceptable income back to developers/creators:

(quote)
Because developers get so little, they can only develop their projects in their spare time, which makes development really slow. Feature requests and critiques do not accelerate development, money will.

Devcoins provide an income for everyone who wants to work, even if they live in an area with more job seekers than jobs. With devcoin, no one who wants to work need be completely out of money. Anyone who does good work will get some devcoins. There is no guarantee that this will be a high income, but something is way better than nothing.

By buying devcoins you help developers and give the world more open source software, books, music, art, and movies.

(quote)

https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devcoin.html

There is an absolute need for speculators and investors in Devcoin but to suggest that writers/developers or any other contributor, is somehow not supporting the community or does not "believe" by seeking to earn an income from their original works (ie, selling their coins) is contrary to this basic intention (IMO)

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 07:43:37 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 08:06:06 AM by markm

Still there is often a huge difference between dumping them on the lowball buy offers and offering them for sale on the sell side of the orderbook so someone who actually wants to buy some can come along and buy them.

Quite often the buy side has been just people sitting there waiting for fools to dump their coins dirt cheap, while the sell side has been quite a lot more expensive yet people who actually want to buy come along and just blindly buy from the sell side instead of sitting a lowball offer on the buy side waiting for the next fool to come along and dump.

It is pretty much the difference between throwing your coins away for whatever ridiculously low price is sitting there waiting for fools, and picking your price that your work is worth and setting your sell offer waiting for someone to pay you what you are worth.

Now though that we know so many people seem utterly determined to just throw their coins away driving the price down and down and down we can prepare for that more and more over time. So what the heck, go ahead and dump, I will be happy when it gets dumped all the way down to 50 Satoshis and below so my standing buy orders will start to pick me up cheap coins again.

Last time down it went below 50 but not below 30, so already now we know to expect people to dump we have beefed up those buys enough that this time around the dumpers only managed to dump it down below 50 not below 30 like the previous time around. I now also have even more buying sitting there waiting than I had last time so maybe this time it won't go as far below 50 as it did last time. But the farther down it goes the better for me so bring it on.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:52:48 AM

Got some buy support waiting below 50 Satoshis as well.

bit-fxtrader

Activity: 166

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:01:20 AM

It's been 3 days since I pmed FuzzyBear with my writing application. Haven't heard anything back yet. How long is the usual waiting time? Should I try sending my app to Wiser or Dinkleberg?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:55:27 AM

Got some buy support waiting below 50 Satoshis as well.
Hope it gets below 50 I got about 20 btc
waiting too.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:57:04 AM

It's been 3 days since I pmed FuzzyBear with my writing application. Haven't heard anything back yet. How long is the usual waiting time? Should I try sending my app to Wiser or Dinkleberg?

Last I heard Fuzzybear was not an admin anymore he
never has time. Id try someone else.
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:32:46 AM

Ok... well..I dont know if regular means talkative or long time contributor but Im sure I have talkative covered Cheesy

I have enough basic php skills to manage the SQL databases for the websites I build/manage and have had to teach myself to fix errors so I'm always up for learning more. I am pretty confident I can work with the Dokuwiki format and there seems to be a heap of support articles/documentation to help as well.. Can I put my hand up for exploring this further and maybe getting it done?
That would be great but not up to me, particularly as I'm not in a position to assess the required skillset. I hope UTB and others read this, or perhaps send them a message with proposal?

bit-fxtrader: as far as I know fuzzybear is still the guy and has been doing it since before my time. It's the weekend and people have lives to lead, so maybe give it a bit more time - this round doesn't end til about 9th feb so you won't miss out for a few days wait.

dalamar96: you mean for official bounties or private ones? I know you've outlined what you're doing before but I've lost track with so many posts since then. I also posted some thoughts, and in steps is a good move to build towards something that makes the process and visibility clearer.
ThinkI

Activity: 65

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:25:44 PM

:::

What we need is a DVC/useful exchange. Like  localbitcoins.com .
That way everyone can get involved.

ThinkI
:::
 I don't think there's enough 2-way interest yet to sustain an exchange. But I'm not against anyone testing ideas if I'm wrong.

Something like a work/bounty exchange and something like localbitcoin would be my top picks for useful.

I think you comment about 2-way interest underestimates the advantage of something like locabitcoin. Using it anyone can create a local market if they wanted too. As long as there is some demand for the local currency conversion, there is a business opportunity for someone wanting to make a market.
We are all about creating demand for DevCoin, so LocalDevCoin should be a key piece of infrastructure. Or am I wrong?

ThinkI

Earn DevCoins by doing stuff you enjoy! Cool
BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
Is this the best way to mine BitCoin?
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 02:19:48 PM

Some bounty updates!

- Sidhujag gets 48 shares for the devcoin for android wallet
- Wekkel gets 8 shares for the testing post, which had some very nice images
- Novacadian gets 24 shares the forum with email

To see all earned bounties, please visit http://devticker.pw/business_bounty/business_bounty_32.csv

Also, there are two proposed bounties:
- Devcoin Trezor, there were objections so it is dropped
- Devcoin Armory, if there are no objections in three days it will go into effect
      - Conditions:
             - The person who ports Armory to devcoin gets 30 shares
             - If you can get a dev of armory to add devcoin, the armory dev gets 30 shares and the person who asked the armory dev gets 5 shares
melodiem

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:01:44 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a chart showing the volume of DVC traded on the exchanges over the last 3 months? (or the data in an excel/feed form I can access) Or even better, does someone have the time/inclination to help me find this information.

I did have a look at Vicurex but its just not my area and I admit that I am not looking forward to taking the beast on even when/if I really need to.
(I will however, and document the journey in the hopes we will make it easier for those that follow but thats like five more articles away!  Cool )

dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:14:00 PM

dalamar96: you mean for official bounties or private ones? I know you've outlined what you're doing before but I've lost track with so many posts since then. I also posted some thoughts, and in steps is a good move to build towards something that makes the process and visibility clearer.

If it gets used for official bounties, great! That is what I was doing originally, though it was shot down pretty well about 2 weeks ago. I just write and code, if people use it they use it, if not, no sweat. Some people like the prototype I did, but it didn't take traction, so I have moved on to other things and just doing minor updates to the prototype so far. Not sure if I will do the bounty site or not, it was just something to look into at the moment. Now I am looking into the Armory I guess.

weisoq

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:15:49 PM

I think you comment about 2-way interest underestimates the advantage of something like locabitcoin. Using it anyone can create a local market if they wanted too. As long as there is some demand for the local currency conversion, there is a business opportunity for someone wanting to make a market.
We are all about creating demand for DevCoin, so LocalDevCoin should be a key piece of infrastructure. Or am I wrong?

ThinkI
I thought I was agreeing with you. Perhaps lost in translation but there are 2 different things being discussed.

One is a broad devcoin fund or bank or exchange that makes an unlimited market for devcoiners and supports prices. I don't think this would work because I don't think there's enough 2-way interest to make it anything but a central-bankish entity. I'm also not sure it's a good idea even if it could work because it would give earners too easy an out without natural buyers, and avoids addressing bigger questions of distribution that maybe make it seem necessary in the first place.

The other is just having more open, free-market, local exchange options for devcoin - be that work or bounties or fiat (like localbitcoin). This area is fundamental so it's not possible to underestimate it.
weisoq

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:24:40 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a chart showing the volume of DVC traded on the exchanges over the last 3 months? (or the data in an excel/feed form I can access) Or even better, does someone have the time/inclination to help me find this information.

I did have a look at Vicurex but its just not my area and I admit that I am not looking forward to taking the beast on even when/if I really need to.
(I will however, and document the journey in the hopes we will make it easier for those that follow but thats like five more articles away!  Cool )
This what you mean? It's not perfect data as there was a period in dec with blanks.
http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/period-charts.php?period=3-months&resolution=day&pair=dvc-btc&market=vircurex

The new version of that site is this, but doesn't give actual numbers.
http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/pair/dvc/btc/vircurex/3-months

I've asked vircurex before for historical data but got no reply.

dalamar: I must have missed that. Personally think a site would be good to keep track and for open interest, esp when people regularly say they don't get how bounties work.
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:41:05 PM

dalamar: I must have missed that. Personally think a site would be good to keep track and for open interest, esp when people regularly say they don't get how bounties work.

I agree, but I think the group once again is having trouble coming to a consensus Smiley

Chad

melodiem

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:43:33 PM

This what you mean? It's not perfect data as there was a period in dec with blanks.
http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/period-charts.php?period=3-months&resolution=day&pair=dvc-btc&market=vircurex

Perfect, thankyou Weisoq!

weisoq

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:52:20 PM

I agree, but I think the group once again is having trouble coming to a consensus Smiley

Chad
ironically that could be because there wasn't yet a simple platform to guage consensus...
ThinkI

Activity: 65

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:55:08 PM

ThinkI
I thought I was agreeing with you. Perhaps lost in translation but there are 2 different things being discussed.

One is a broad devcoin fund or bank or exchange that makes an unlimited market for devcoiners and supports prices. I don't think this would work because I don't think there's enough 2-way interest to make it anything but a central-bankish entity. I'm also not sure it's a good idea even if it could work because it would give earners too easy an out without natural buyers, and avoids addressing bigger questions of distribution that maybe make it seem necessary in the first place.

The other is just having more open, free-market, local exchange options for devcoin - be that work or bounties or fiat (like localbitcoin). This area is fundamental so it's not possible to underestimate it.

Thanks for the clarification Smiley
ThinkI

Earn DevCoins by doing stuff you enjoy! Cool
BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
Is this the best way to mine BitCoin?
Pages: « 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: