Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:31:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dalamar96

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 04:02:49 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 05:44:31 PM by dalamar96

dalamar: I must have missed that. Personally think a site would be good to keep track and for open interest, esp when people regularly say they don't get how bounties work.

I agree, but I think the group once again is having trouble coming to a consensus Smiley

Chad
ironically that could be because there wasn't yet a simple platform to guage consensus...

chicken or the egg, have to start somewhere... Smiley

Edit:
Ok, you can see the progress (as it is developed) in the link to the prototype below. Bounties is a menu item up top, you don't have to be logged in to see it or anything. And I will be figuring out accounts and what not later, right now you can login with your devtome username, other then that (if you don't have a devtome user account) you are out of luck for the next few days. I will add local accounts sooner or later! Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclejed613

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:43:23 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a chart showing the volume of DVC traded on the exchanges over the last 3 months? (or the data in an excel/feed form I can access) Or even better, does someone have the time/inclination to help me find this information.

I did have a look at Vicurex but its just not my area and I admit that I am not looking forward to taking the beast on even when/if I really need to.
(I will however, and document the journey in the hopes we will make it easier for those that follow but thats like five more articles away!  Cool )

you may have to look at the exchanges separately and do some math....i'm using crypto-trade, and often the volume numbers there don't line up with the price jumps, so there's an average price adjustment that reflects all of the exchanges, but i think, at least on crypto-trade, the volume graph is for local trades on that particular exchange. i suppose if you signed up on all the exchanges, you could use their api functions to feed you volume data and price data, and merge it to get a clearer picture.... even pricing data seems to vary depending on the exchange. for instance on my multibit wallet for btc, i have mt gox and e-trade prices listed for btc, and they're often different by $100.00 or more. obviously mt gox does a higher volume, so it's prices will have a wider trading range.... which gives me an idea for a follow-up to my article on day trading......
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:27:39 PM

Would a task board make sense as a way to organise bounties aswell as allow people to bid on those?

Users will be able to post tasks they can do, and others can purchase those services. Also users can post their requests, and other users can bid on the requests. Essentially you can have your a site where people can buy and sell services or jobs or tasks. Ofcourse devcoin would be posting requests and people would bid to do work, this would help find optimal share allocation for projects!

Other people can start asking for work in devcoins then too using this thing since once it grows there would be a network of developers / writers etc who would be watching requests and as a poster I want my work done as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality.
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 06:31:08 PM

Would a task board make sense as a way to organise bounties aswell as allow people to bid on those?

Users will be able to post tasks they can do, and others can purchase those services. Also users can post their requests, and other users can bid on the requests. Essentially you can have your a site where people can buy and sell services or jobs or tasks. Ofcourse devcoin would be posting requests and people would bid to do work, this would help find optimal share allocation for projects!

Other people can start asking for work in devcoins then too using this thing since once it grows there would be a network of developers / writers etc who would be watching requests and as a poster I want my work done as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality.

I am going to move forward how I planned and then we can discuss changes to it once it is seen, I am not going to speculate any longer before starting as too many people have too many different ideas and nothing is getting done.  I like the idea of a task tracker and may incorporate that, but for now I'm just going to move forward with my vision and see what comments come. You can see progress by following the prototype link in my sig.

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:40:01 PM

I am going to move forward how I planned and then we can discuss changes to it once it is seen, I am not going to speculate any longer before starting as too many people have too many different ideas and nothing is getting done.  I like the idea of a task tracker and may incorporate that, but for now I'm just going to move forward with my vision and see what comments come. You can see progress by following the prototype link in my sig.

Reason I say that is I purchased the wordpress templates and I have full source distributable under gpl.. One is a task board and it looks pretty nice with all the features I described. The link is here:

http://sitemile.com/products/taskerdev-errand-task-marketplace/

We have the source so we can change it
but since its wordpress its really simple for a non developer to make changes its all cms based and with a nice backend interface.. ootb seems to do everything we need? Check it out.. I will get it
hosted if someone can give me permission to host it on their server along with the penny auction one I want to show..

The ease of use is really something with wordpress.

novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 06:45:00 PM

Unless we start bidding on per word payment for posting to DevTome it seems very unfair, to me, to expect developers to start bidding against each other. It makes more sense to have those desiring a bounty to post what they are willing to pay in DVC to have it done.

- Nova

[ Edit: The question is who are we truly supporting the developers or those wanting the work done.]

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 06:52:17 PM

Reason I say that is I purchased the wordpress templates and I have full source distributable under gpl.. One is a task board and it looks pretty nice with all the features I described. The link is here:

but since its wordpress its really simple for a non developer to make changes its all cms based and with a nice backend interface.. ootb seems to do everything we need? Check it out.. I will get it
hosted if someone can give me permission to host it on their server along with the penny auction one I want to show..

Go for it, WP is great, I use it all the time for blogs, not for other things though, I like more control over my other projects. See how it turns out and we will see what comes of it. Again, I am continuing on with the bounties portion of my prototype site Smiley  I am interested to see your WP implementation though!

ThinkI

Activity: 65

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:56:56 PM

Unless we start bidding on per word payment for posting to DevTome it seems very unfair, to me, to expect developers to start bidding against each other. It makes more sense to have those desiring a bounty to post what they are willing to pay in DVC to have it done.

- Nova

Since as of yesterday I am the only person who put anything up on the DevBank/Cyclos site I think we may assume that the average writer is not very interested in doing anything but write about their chosen subject at the moment.
Of course a lack of promotion to writers may play a part in this.
This is not a good situation to be in and has to change otherwise developers will be justified to complain.

In any case writer bounties should go on the DevBank/Cyclos site.
There is no need for a bidding war as bounties can start low and be raised if no one takes them.

ThinkI

Earn DevCoins by doing stuff you enjoy! Cool
BTC: 1AxYGFDnnw1PUo8TbQ83PCrenjQJBYU41Z | DVC: 1HKK5tswf8mXGsQng5naNEeqY44ZTHD3MY
Is this the best way to mine BitCoin?
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:00:42 PM

Go for it, WP is great, I use it all the time for blogs, not for other things though, I like more control over my other projects. See how it turns out and we will see what comes of it. Again, I am continuing on with the bounties portion of my prototype site Smiley  I am interested to see your WP implementation though!

Thanks Ijust need a place to host it.. need to install the usualy mysql and apache etc.. wordpress is the php engine and is free to download too so its pretty sweet.

I think youll like it.. What nova said about devs undercutting each other is also prob right and we could disable bidding on projects for now until maybe one day we would want to use it.

It would provide a way for:
1) Devcoin to post a bounty
2) Someome to accept that bounty and have it show to the world that a person is working on it(doesnt stop someone else from doing it) just allows us to track whos workimg on what.
3) Allows others to post what they can offer im exchange for coins.. letting people buy those services.

I went to your prototype link.. all i see is some round information and graphs?
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 07:16:10 PM

and you didn't see the bounties button on the menu? interesting....

N1no

Activity: 114

BTC collector

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 07:23:28 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 07:35:09 PM by N1no

Is there a config file anywhere? My qt doesn't connect. (got it)

devcoin.conf
Code:
server=1
daemon=1
rpcpassword=x
addnode=pool.devcoin.org

that worked for me

I like these coins: BTC: 16Nv6dDND4rQ7ATmuQ5mHrvd5ajsTU1Wey LTC: LVjKbkVXUj8iNxyxjyUwMzNMP6E5LktgAc
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:06:51 PM

Saw it...

I think bounties should be in coins not shares since it is another indirection away from how much you will be paid. If we do a jobboard and we post in coins everyone knows how much they are getting if it is accepted by someone..

Also it makes sense for people posting services or work to be done via devcoins to have to transfer in those coins to the site so that it can be transfered as a trusted third party to the developer once product is delivered and accepted. The site offers all of this and it is a way for workers amd service providers to work together without worrying about people not getting paid or work not done properly etc.

Anyways when I put it up you can see better no point to talk about it yet....

Id probably work with you once I get it hosted.
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 08:09:48 PM

Saw it...

I think bounties should be in coins not shares since it is another indirection away from how much you will be paid. If we do a jobboard and we post in coins everyone knows how much they are getting if it is accepted by someone..

Also it makes sense for people posting services or work to be done via devcoins to have to transfer in those coins to the site so that it can be transfered as a trusted third party to the developer once product is delivered and accepted. The site offers all of this and it is a way for workers amd service providers to work together without worrying about people not getting paid or work not done properly etc.

Anyways when I put it up you can see better no point to talk about it yet....

Id probably work with you once I get it hosted.

As I said before, this is based on what I know of bounties now. Bounties are paid in shares at this time. If we do a job board or bounties from other people outside of the devcoin community then we can do it in coins or shares. This is why I quit working on it last time, people can't come to a consensus and just throw ideas out there all over the place. Stick to what we have now, and make something that will help the community work better as it is, then as we get things going make the changes as we see they should be made to make things better.

Edit: As it is I am done working on it today, i have other things I need to be doing.

novacadian

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 08:14:21 PM

There is no need for a bidding war as bounties can start low and be raised if no one takes them.

The bidding war will be as the bounty sinks to the equivalent of $3/hour which is the wage many good Asian programmers are willing/able to work.

- Nova

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:23:45 PM

The bidding war will be as the bounty sinks to the equivalent of $3/hour which is the wage many good Asian programmers are willing/able to work.

- Nova

Well I think in the long run if they have good quality and are willing to do it for $3 an hour everyone else needs to adjust.. becomes more efficient. Writers would probably have something similar.. once we have something set up for them so that people can pay to get stuff written.. Im not sure how much longer we can keep giving them so many shares however with a rating system basically weeding out bad material.

I suspect that if quality is not met the payment is not made.. What do you think? Isnt this the problem with taking a service into the global marketplace?
novacadian

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 08:32:04 PM

I suspect that if quality is not met the payment is not made.. What do you think? Isnt this the problem with taking a service into the global marketplace?

If the intent of the project is to create free software for marketeers then the business plan that is suggested would work great. It is no different than how freelance programming is working in this day and age outside of this project, other than the fact that all works would be released in open source. This would have the effect of creating less potential work for software developers over time. As it is right now most paying in hard cash want the software to be proprietary so developers are continually re-inventing wheels. The only difference in the system being suggested here is that payment would be done in DVC instead of hard cash. This would be helpful for the speculators of DVC. To the developer there is absolutely no advantage to use this system. At least nothing that is obvious to me.

- Nova

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 08:45:40 PM

For hosting low traffic things (like demo of a site, for example) the hosting link in my forum sig is good, its free hosting gives you mysql and php, which is usually what you need. You get something like 5 gigs of data transfer per month, which is usually fine until you start to use a site for real whereipon upgrade is only a very few bucks a month.

I started with the free one and eventually upgraded all the way to one that lets me have ten mysql databases and not sure how many of that other type of sql that I don't use, and twenty subdomains on their set of generic domains (like mygamesonline and onlineshops and such).

I went on a spree of testing lots of different things that all wanted mysql and php so am almost out of databases now, I need to review all those tests at some point and figure out which ones to get rid of to free up some more databases so I can try out more stuff.

Even the lowest level of upgrade the data transfer and maybe disk storage goes unlimited, their limits are mostly about how many of the two types of SQL databases you get to have and how many domains and subdomains, it is a pretty good deal for web hosting. That is why I have never yet bothered to put an webservers on any of my dedicated servers (which I get from another company that does killer deals on dedicated servers, if you want dedicated PM me about them).

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:52:56 PM

If the intent of the project is to create free software for marketeers then the business plan that is suggested would work great. It is no different than how freelance programming is working in this day and age outside of this project, other than the fact that all works would be released in open source. This would have the effect of creating less potential work for software developers over time. As it is right now most paying in hard cash want the software to be proprietary so developers are continually re-inventing wheels. The only difference in the system being suggested here is that payment would be done in DVC instead of hard cash. This would be helpful for the speculators of DVC. To the developer there is absolutely no advantage to use this system. At least nothing that is obvious to me.

- Nova

I think the advantage would be that if your a developer there will be a portal for them to
go to do work and get paid. But yea kinda like freelancing.. So I think it will be a continual work in progress while we are smalltime.
novacadian

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 09:05:46 PM

I think the advantage would be that if your a developer there will be a portal for them to
go to do work and get paid. But yea kinda like freelancing.. So I think it will be a continual work in progress while we are smalltime.

There are oodles of such sites out there already. To most people it would just seem a bother and risk to be paid in DVC if they are not into it already. We should really try to think outside the box in how we treat software developers, as that is the general intent of this project to my understanding.

Just an idea of thinking outside the box and not meant as something that need be actually used. Bounties are placed for all kinds of projects for fair and equatable bounties. Those projects are then bundled on DVDs that can be purchased from this project, much like Red Hat charges for Open Source.

The developers receive a fair and equatable wage and the project receives a product to sell for profit.

Let's not just go down the same road where the developer is there to be the pet monkey for the front office suits.

- Nova

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:47:43 PM

There are oodles of such sites out there already. To most people it would just seem a bother and risk to be paid in DVC if they are not into it already. We should really try to think outside the box in how we treat software developers, as that is the general intent of this project to my understanding.

Just an idea of thinking outside the box and not meant as something that need be actually used. Bounties are placed for all kinds of projects for fair and equatable bounties. Those projects are then bundled on DVDs that can be purchased from this project, much like Red Hat charges for Open Source.

The developers receive a fair and equatable wage and the project receives a product to sell for profit.

Let's not just go down the same road where the developer is there to be the pet monkey for the front office suits.

- Nova

Aah I see so that way people would come in with project requests that a developer would work on probably payment done via devcoin and its released under something like gpl where you can use it for profit but source is open.

After the source is created however what stops others from copying the idea? Today most people would not want to pay for something that someone else could end up using for free afterwards.
Pages: « 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: